+ Reply to thread

Thread: Overrated classics

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Overrated classics

"I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I FUCKING HATE JAME JOYCE.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE.

HATE.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I ALSO HATE A CATCHER IN THE RYE, BECAUSE HOLDEN CAUFIELD NEEDS A BEATDOWN.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

::cough::

Anyways. I'm inclined to agree with much of that list, although I give Melville a pass, since he is at least telling a story and I don't virulently hate all his characters.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I wouldn't say that Moby Dick is bad, but yes, I would agree that it's "over-rated". Really, nothing could live up to what a lot of American literary critics have to say about that book.

And I'd go on to say the same about Huckeberry Finn.
    Last edited by Rube E. Tewesday; 19 Jul 2011 at 01:47 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I enjoyed about half of Moby Dick. And the half I enjoyed I really enjoyed. But buy, when it comes time to settle into the story...yawn.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    I wouldn't say that Moby Dick is bad, but yes, I would agree that it's "over-rated". Really, nothing could live up to what a lot of American literary critics have to say about that book.
    That is exactly how I feel about The Great Gatsby.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    That is exactly how I feel about The Great Gatsby.
    At least The Great Gatsby was short. Somehow, it became an insufferably long move.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

I hate Albert Camus. But one novel that really needed to be on that list was Great Expectations. Why that piece of drek is considered a classic is beyond me.
    Political correctness will be the death of our country.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm with Orual on Catcher in the Rye. How I'd love to turn that kid over my knee, the whingy brat.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I ALSO HATE A CATCHER IN THE RYE, BECAUSE HOLDEN CAUFIELD NEEDS A BEATDOWN.
    Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    How I'd love to turn that kid over my knee, the whingy brat.
    Oh God yes.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Couldn't get past about page 6 of Catcher. I've only ever dipped into Ulysses but I've liked what I've read. Must one of these years approach it head-on. Helps that it's a time capsule of a city I know and love.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I FUCKING HATE JAME JOYCE.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE.

HATE.
    +1. Hate, loathe, despise, abominate...

Registered
    Mar 2009

I really disliked The Great Gatsby.

But I hate hate hate HATED Steinbeck's The Pearl. To this day I haven't touched any of his other books because fuck that story.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Completely agree on Great Expectations. Dickens had some absolutely wonderful stories, and while this is in fact one of them, the writing pulls it down. And there's not much else worthwhile in it. Great Expectations put me off Dickens for years, until I read A Tale of Two Cities and loved it.

One thing I don't get is the hate for Holden Caulfield turning into hate for The Catcher in the Rye. The HuffPo list seems to think that it was only liked because people thought Caulfield was cool. I read it as a kid, never thought he was a positive figure, and I wouldn't expect him to be. I suppose if you're talking about the narration style then maybe there's something to it. That puts it in the same category as Joyce - not for everyone. Though with Joyce I'd go so far as to say - only for a very few. I can at least recognize that a handful of people are going to love Joyce. I'm not sure that means it isn't a "classic" in some sense. It doesn't belong on anyone's required reading list unless they're specifically studying literature, at least.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I really enjoyed Catcher. Don't know if it merits classic consideration, but it was fun. And like Parzival, never had any expectation that Caufield act with any maturity or intelligence.

-Jim Rockford

+ Reply to thread