+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anglish

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Anglish

In a way we have come to our homeland’s headtown to call in a draught. When our great folkdom's fathers wrote the haughty words of the Books-of-Rights and the Call for Lonestance, they were underwriting a hight to which every American was to fall erewardly.

The deed was a hight that all men, yes, black and white would have life's yieldless rights, freedom and the right to seek eadiness.
    "I Have a Dream" oversetting from the Anglish Moot

What is Anglish? It's English with all outlandish words backshifted. Sticks shared a link to the Moot and now I'm smit with yearning. There's something indeed comely about looking into the wellspring of each word you put forth. Too often bad writers use a fullsomeness of romish wordstrings to forseek seeming keen-witted and end up drifting away from the fewfold upheadness of English.

I'm now forseeking to write a short tale in the tongue. It's much harder than one might think, but a worthy ordeal.

Translation:
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    What is Anglish? It's English with all foreign words removed. Sticks shared a link to the Moot and now I'm addicted. There's something very beautiful about looking into the source of each word you use. Too often bad writers use a plethora of phrases from Romance languages to try to sound intelligent and end up drifting away from the simple elegance of English.

I'm now trying to write a short story in the language. It's much harder than one might think, but a worthy challenge.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That's kind of awesome.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

That is awesome. I especially love "romish."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It sounds like Vikings. That can only be good.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yes, "a fullsomeness of romish wordstrings" is my most liked wend of tongue thus far.

Registered
    Feb 2009

There are some people here who might like In the Land of Invented Languages..

I just finished it, and was very impressed.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

My native language will never depollute itself of Anglo influences of whatever provinence. We have a lot of borrowed words in Irish, as many languages do. IIRC the Icelandic language they're reluctant to use outside words as much, so they construct beautiful but convoluted terminology for modern technologies.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, Anglish does something similar to try to cover terms that have no Old English equivalents. I like "Banded Folkdoms of Americksland" quite a bit. "Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths" was a great one, too.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Tolkien would love it, and I do too. Thanks!

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The Professor did this in many ways in writing the Books in fact. He often carefully chose a word with roots in old English or German over one from a Latin or Greek root.

It has an interesting sound to the whole thing. Gives it a strong archaic feel.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Copulate this faex.
    Last edited by OneCentStamp; 11 Jul 2011 at 12:03 PM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    ... "Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths" ...
    I couldn't figure that one out without google-help.

Registered
    Mar 2009

What's the Anglish for 'calque'?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by parzival View post
    What's the Anglish for 'calque'?
    The Anglish wordbook puts forth edyielding or overyielding.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Jan 2012

Haughty is "romish" ... from French, from Latin altus.
    Simple is "onefold" or, if you as lief, in Old English it was anfald (Middle English: anfold, onfold, onefold) ... (a) Single, one, onefold; (b) simple, honest; (c) of interpretation: simple, literal

For those who don't know, the forefast (prefix) ed- = re-, thus renew would be ednew.

There are many seldseen (seldom seen, rare) words still in the wordbooks that are of Anglo-Germanic upspring. A few:

benote, brook - to use, to enjoy
    byspel - example
    fair - beautiful (Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?)
    eath - easy, easily
    fulsome - abundant, plentiful ... a fulsome harvest
    gainstand - oppose, stand against
    gainsay - oppose, speak against
    overweening - overconfident, arrogant, haughty
    rede - advice (n), to advise (v)
    rood - cross
    umbe - around
    upspring - origin (n), to originate (v)
    wanhope - despair
    wantrust - distrust
    wanwierd, wanwyrd - misfortune
    wierd,wyrd - fortune, fate
    wynn - joy (see winsome)

Many, many more!
    Go not forthe as a dombe freke. — Book of Courtesy, 1475

Registered
    Jan 2012

Haughty is "romish" ... from French, from Latin altus.
    Simple is "onefold" or, if you as lief, in Old English it was anfald (Middle English: anfold, onfold, onefold) ... (a) Single, one, onefold; (b) simple, honest; (c) of interpretation: simple, literal

For those who don't know, the forefast (prefix) ed- = re-, thus renew would be ednew.

There are many seldseen (seldom seen, rare) words still in the wordbooks that are of Anglo-Germanic upspring. A few:

benote, brook - to use, to enjoy
    byspel - example
    fair - beautiful (Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?)
    eath - easy, easily
    fulsome - abundant, plentiful ... a fulsome harvest
    gainstand - oppose, stand against
    gainsay - oppose, speak against
    overweening - overconfident, arrogant, haughty
    rede - advice (n), to advise (v)
    rood - cross
    umbe - around
    upspring - origin (n), to originate (v)
    wanhope - despair
    wantrust - distrust
    wanwierd, wanwyrd - misfortune
    wierd,wyrd - fortune, fate
    wynn - joy (see winsome)

Many, many more!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, that's fantastic. Thank you for the background on those words and welcome, AnWulf!
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

But, English has been rummaging through the pockets of languages and stealing their spare words for centuries, if not longer.

How far back should you go to say a word is Anglish? Words like aqueduct are definitely latin, but have been part of the language since they invaded. It does appear more an attempt to speak the language just based of words of a certain origin.

Otherwise, you may as just well use the original Welsh and Gaelic instead
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    My native language will never depollute itself of Anglo influences of whatever provinence. We have a lot of borrowed words in Irish, as many languages do. IIRC the Icelandic language they're reluctant to use outside words as much, so they construct beautiful but convoluted terminology for modern technologies.
    In South Korea, ice cream is 아이스크림 (a-i-seu-k'eu-rim). In North Korea,it's 오룸포순기 (o-rum-po-so-gi), which, from memory, means 'white fluffy thing'.

Registered
    Jan 2012

Anglish is sunder things to sunder folks. For most, the cutoff in Anglish is 1066 ... That's the time of the Norman-French Takeover of England which began the onslaught of French/Latin words besteading (taking the place of) Saxon/Old English words. Fore-1066 Latinates are ok by this. There aren't many. Words like place and the verb to spend and some church words.

Since English is a Germanic tung, most will also stay with any Germanic tung loanwords.

For me, the fustra (focus) is besteading the long Latinates and edquickening (reviving) some old words that the Latinates shoved to the side. And to tinker with the spelling that the Norman-French scribes (and later the French-Latin loving "reformers") screwed up. For byspel, the Norman-French scribes didn't let a 'u' before 'n' or 'm' ... thus sum, cum, munk, tunge, asf became some, come, monk, tongue. They also added the 'ue' to prolog, catalog, asf. They put in the 's' in island since they thought it was akin to OF isle and Latin insula ... it's not! BTW, isle was spelled ile and they added the 's' there as well.

Registered
    Feb 2009

But then Old English is only Germanic by way of Germanic and Norse invasion and immigration during the 900's and earlier. Before that, they were speaking something different. Given that any works written during that time in Britain would have been done by monks in Latin and not English. What Anglish seems to be is an attempt to revive a language based off the spoken word.

I like having extra 'u's in the language. Catalogue seems more impressive than catalog, even if the latter is phonetic. Being honest, Anglish reminds me of the French doing their best to try and keep their language as pure as possible.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

+ Reply to thread