+ Reply to thread

Thread: Lackluster Summer Movies

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Lackluster Summer Movies

Is it just me, or has this summer's movie crop been pretty lame?

Fast Five was super-fun, but not "good" in any traditional sense.

I enjoyed the X-Men movie, but it left no real impression.

None of the other superhero movies really speak to me. Super 8 looked like self-indulgent Spielberg-wank. Pixar's outing for the year is a sequel to the one movie of theirs I don't really like ...

This summer has been all about unnecessary sequels and 3rd string superheroes. Blah. I guess I have to hang my hopes on Cowboys & Aliens. Hopefully it will be good enough to allow me to overlook the frozen, plastic face of Olivia Wilde.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

This is now the Summer of the worst Pixar film.

I haven't seen CARS 2, but it's the first Pixar movie to score just two stars from the Chicago Tribune.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If they really had to make a (non-Toy Story) sequel, couldn't they have done the Incredibles?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    If they really had to make a (non-Toy Story) sequel, couldn't they have done the Incredibles?
    Exactly my thought. I think Cars was the worst so far, so crappy choice for a sequel. Love the Incredibles and it seemed like a natural choice.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Of course, another Incredibles would be a superhero movie AND a sequel, which would make it part of the problem I have with this year's movie selections ...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Exactly my thought. I think Cars was the worst so far, so crappy choice for a sequel. Love the Incredibles and it seemed like a natural choice.
    For Disney, an excellent choice. The first Cars movie did more than half a billion dollars in licensing.

John Lasseter was quoted as saying something along the lines of, "We make movies like Cars 2 so we can make movies like Up!."
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    For Disney, an excellent choice. The first Cars movie did more than half a billion dollars in licensing.

John Lasseter was quoted as saying something along the lines of, "We make movies like Cars 2 so we can make movies like Up!."
    How does that compare to the other Pixar movies? I know it has nearly the lowest rating of the Pixar movies. Was it just better for merchandising?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thirded. My all-time favorite Pixar movie. Bring Brad Bird back to direct, and make sure he's very, very happy with the script, and I'll be in the front row when it comes out.

The best movie I've seen this year was Limitless, which came out March 18, so it's not exactly a summer movie. Still, I highly recommend it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well there is still Harry Potter 8 which has just come out.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

And I am looking forward to that. (... a lot.) But I don't think it's going to bring anything new or unexpected to the table.

Registered
    Sep 2009

My boys want to see Mr. Popper's Penguins and Cars 2, and I'm willing to take them, although both have had, er, mixed reviews.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Cars may not be the Pixar movie of choice among adults, but I gather it's the one five-year olds watch as many times a day as their parents can stand. I'm sure that had a lot to do with the sequel being made.

My kid and I will probably go see it, not sure what else.

Registered
    Mar 2009

True, Rube. I'm betting my vehicle-obsessed seven-year-old niece will want to see it and would squeal over Cars 2 merchandise.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Am hoping to see Cowboys and Aliens this weekend.

Because, frankly, they had me at Cowboys and Aliens.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Am hoping to see Cowboys and Aliens this weekend.

Because, frankly, they had me at Cowboys and Aliens.
    You make a sound argument.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, Cowboys and Aliens has the potential to be hugely entertaining. I am counting on it. Good cast.

Beware, a low-budget reality-drama called Cowboy and Allens opens this weekend, also.
    It stars Joan Allen and Tim Allen, playing themselves. The movie follows the two Allens on a road trip
    to visit the final resting place of Jack Palance.

-Jim Rockford

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jan 2010

This looks interesting.
    Last edited by Zweedo Rodriguez; 28 Jul 2011 at 07:40 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zweedo Rodriguez View post
    This looks interesting.
    Ooo, yeah! Cool. Hard to go wrong with Aardman.

We saw Cars 2 and it was OK. Vaguely disappointed by Deathly Hallows 2 - just didn't have the emotional oomph I thought it would. Still want to see Captain America. Saw the spy comedy RED, the Western drama Appaloosa and the legal thriller Michael Clayton on DVD recently, and liked 'em all.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I saw RED last year (?) in the theater - it was a very fun surprise.

Deathly Hallows 2 was pretty much what I expected it to be. Seeing it on opening weekend in a packed theater was a nice bit of nostalgia (I saw the first couple in college the same way).

Registered
    Mar 2009

See, I was really pleased with Deathly Hallows 2.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, I liked it a lot. I loved Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith's performances, particularly. The Gringotts dragon was spectacular, and I thought the whole Battle of Hogwarts was really well done. It just didn't exceed my expectations; it had similar issues/weaknesses that the previous HP movies had, as far as making necessary cuts vs. keeping in bit that book fans expect. (If you've cut out 90% of the Lupin/Tonks romance, there is no reason to include a bizarre, clunky conversation about their kid.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I never did bother seeing Cowboys & Aliens.

But I did see Captain America last week, and was pleasantly surprised. Probably because I went into it with very little knowledge and no expectations.

I want it to be next summer, so I can be watching Batman and the Avengers.
    Last edited by Orual; 09 Sep 2011 at 11:37 AM.

+ Reply to thread