+ Reply to thread

Thread: Political Campaign Songs

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Political Campaign Songs

Every political campaign nowadays appears to have a theme song to try and capture their particular zeitgeist and how the appeal to the world at large. But what happens if the person using the music has polar political beliefs to the singer/songwriter.

Michelle Bachman has been told by Tom Petty, who happens to be a Democrat, to stop using American Girl.

Paul Weller of the Jam, staunch Labour, was not happy that David Cameron, Current Tory PM, liked his music.

Any other good examples, and are there any pieces of music that would be totally (in)appropriate for a politican?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Bachman has also used Katy "I Kissed a Girl" Perry's song "Firework," which the artist had dedicated to the It Gets Better Project. Bachman's views on homosexuality (whether it involves "cherry chapstick" or not) have been well documented, and don't tend toward the positive.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The Labour Party used D:Ream's Things Can Only Get Better in the 1997 election. I recall there being some controversy at the time as their use of the song actually helped it chart again. Some radio djs felt that playing the song was then essentially advertising the Labour party and IIRC a couple refused to play it or at least would only play it when obliged if it charted. That is during the Top 40 countdown and not at other times.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Springsteen's Born In The USA was coopted by the Republican Party for Reagan's successful '84 campaign. Whoever chose that song obviously hadn't listened to the verses.

The Red Flag has been associated with both the British and Irish Labour Parties for decades, but as they've moved more to the centre the song has seemed kinda odd.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I heard that after Bachmann was told no more American Girl, she instead played Hail to the Chief at a speaking venue.

You know. The song the actual POTUS walks around to.

I'd say that's probably off limits.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Frank Sinatra adapted "High Hopes" as a song for JFK in 1960:

Of course Bill Clinton used Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop Thinkin' About Tomorrow" over and over again in 1992.

Bob Dole used Sam & Dave's "Soul Man" at some 1996 campaign rallies, with alternate lyrics for "Dole Man," until Sam & Dave asked him to stop.

John Kerry used U2's "Beautiful Day" a few times in 2004.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Marsilia View post
    Bachman has also used Katy "I Kissed a Girl" Perry's song "Firework," which the artist had dedicated to the It Gets Better Project. Bachman's views on homosexuality (whether it involves "cherry chapstick" or not) have been well documented, and don't tend toward the positive.
    Somehow I think "I kissed a girl" won't be the song used if the Republican ticket is Palin/Bachmann.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jan 2010

Corruption: Any Australian politician at the moment.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Somehow I think "I kissed a girl" won't be the song used if the Republican ticket is Palin/Bachmann.
    At least, not the song used by the Republicans. Someone, somewhere, will make the parody video, and there will likely be p0rn with lookalikes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

At least, not the song used by the Republicans. Someone, somewhere, will make the parody video, and there will likely be p0rn with lookalikes.
    I would say more "no doubt" than "likely".

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    I would say more "no doubt" than "likely".
    I stand corrected and in total agreement.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I guess the Republicans will go for Bachmann-Palin Overdrive, with "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet."

Registered
    Mar 2009

I found it really bizarre that Bachmann wanted to use "American Girl" at all, and then she decided to follow it up with "Firework"? Does she have no concept that words actually mean things and these aren't just song titles?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Given the history of politicians (and advertising agencies) using entirely inappropriate songs...no, I don't think Bachmann or most other people are aware of that.

+ Reply to thread