+ Reply to thread

Thread: John Galliano - Racist or Drug Addled

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default John Galliano - Racist or Drug Addled

John Galliano, the designer, is currently on trial for racial abusing people in a cafe.

It seems that the details of what occured are not really in doubt, but his defence is that he is not a racist, but that the outbursts are the effects of all the alcohol and drugs that he has taken and as such he cannot remember any of the event.

So, is it a defence?

It is still an offensive action, but is the fact his judgement was impaired a mitigating factor that should be accounted for, or should it be that he is a responsible adult so he shold be responsible for his actiosn regardless of what state he got himself into?

How far can you go in saying you were drunk as your defence before it stops being a defence?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I am rather tired of people putting layers of defense between themselves and their actions.

He chose to take drugs and consume booze. If he wasn't in control when he went on a racist tirade, he was when he popped the first pill or sucked back the first Pimms.

Reminds me of a guy that worked for me years ago. He called in one day and said the couldn't make it to work because he didn't have money for gas. He was stunned later
    when he was held accountable for missing work. It apparently wasn't his fault if he couldn't afford gas.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I almost never think "I was drunk" counts as a defence. On the other hand, I'm kind of bewildered that he's facing criminal charges over it. If Dior wants to fire him because of the bad publicity, that's one thing, but going to prison? For saying stupid shit?

That's fucked up.

+ Reply to thread