+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gabrielle Giffords - False Hope

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Gabrielle Giffords - False Hope

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_874355.html

Most of us pretty much knew this; she wasn't coming back.

It's interesting that buried in all the would-be good news about the pace of
    her recovery were tiny hints as to the potential extent of her recovery.

No one in the media wanted to ask whether or not she was going to regain
    all of her faculties.

Some doctors interviewed hinted at this, but I think the optimism became the better story. At any rate, It's pretty cool that she's communicating at all.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

The fact that she's alive and aware of her loved ones is miraculous enough. Her being up to the rigors of politics really was too much to ask for.

On the other hand, most sufferers of aphasia are able to recover some skills over time through therapy. She may never be able to speak like a politician again, but there are good chances she'll find ways to better communicate with those around her.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As a member of the self-appointed Bad Writing Police, I find this line to be criminal:

she will be able to return to work five months after being shot in the head.
    Of course, we all know what the writer meant. But still ... ugh.

It certainly won't be surprising if Giffords is permanently compromised in mental/physical capacity, and some reports did try to say that. But she has this one doctor who has been quoted saying things like "I am going to vote for her in the next election" and when a physician intimately familiar with her case says that ... well, it is a great sound bite and also what we all hope for. But it wouldn't surprise anyone if that is completely out of the question.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hatshepsut View post
    But she has this one doctor who has been quoted saying things like "I am going to vote for her in the next election"
    That's really irresponsible.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

First photos of Gabrielle Giffords released since shooting

Continuing her career doesn't even compare to regaining ability or finding ways to deal with disability, so it's really getting annoying now that the media keeps focusing on "when, or if, she will be able to resume her job." I'm also bothered that a lot of articles seem to be judging her mental faculties based on her speech, which anyone with even the vaguest awareness of aphasia knows isn't valid. The only focus that's important is in recovery and finding a new normal.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, she looks happy, knows she loves her husband and family, and seems to be able to communicate with them. That's already success.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Well, she looks happy, knows she loves her husband and family, and seems to be able to communicate with them. That's already success.
    Absolutely. That's all the important stuff right there.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, that annoys me, too, Zuul.

+ Reply to thread