+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ninety gaffes in 90 years.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Ninety gaffes in 90 years.

A little compilation of Prince Phillip's most obnoxious comments.

I think (I hope) that these are attempts at humor. But dude...so, so not funny. Talk about being a walking anachronism; this style of "humor" has been out of date since WWII.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, the Scilly Islands one made me smile. But I'm glad that we're past the days when every stupid thing he said was called a "quip" by the Canadian papers.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

He's just the archetypal Upperclass Twit of the Year, isn't he? Though I suppose it's more like Twit of the Century, in his case. He does show a bit of self-awareness, though: "Any bloody fool can lay a wreath at the thingamy."

An evil part of me would just love to spend a day with that guy. He's like Britain's collective embarrassing old uncle.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm actually kind of with him on Elton John, but I'll bet he uses the phrase "that noise you call music" a whole lot more than I do.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    He's just the archetypal Upperclass Twit of the Year, isn't he? Though I suppose it's more like Twit of the Century, in his case. He does show a bit of self-awareness, though: "Any bloody fool can lay a wreath at the thingamy."

An evil part of me would just love to spend a day with that guy. He's like Britain's collective embarrassing old uncle.
    Yeah, he's a large jerk, but who among us would not be a jerk if we were in his shoes? I saw him and HM when they were in town last year, him walking behind her with that "I'd kill for a whisky and soda" look on his face, and really, I couldn't blame him.

HM, on the other hand, was perfect. Looked as if there was nothing in the world she'd rather be doing than the same thing she'd done a million times before, just walking along, being Queen.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, there's something I really don't get about him, which is that he absolutely seems to hate his life. And yet he married into it. He was a good looking young man, had a title...you'd think there'd have been some other girl with a good name and a bit of money he could have snagged.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'd guess that he didn't quite realize what the life of a prince consort would really be like. He was only 26 when he married Elizabeth.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Kept men are always cranky.

It's why I'm such a dick.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I'd guess that he didn't quite realize what the life of a prince consort would really be like. He was only 26 when he married Elizabeth.
    It's fairly wild when you think about it. She went from being third in line for the throne when she was born to queen by 26. Even knowing he was going to be the prince consort someday, I'm sure it had seemed like some far off eventuality instead of something he'd have tossed at him five years into their marriage.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Considering all the opportunities he's had to really put his foot into it, I mean, like provoking rioting or being declared persona non grata, he's done OK. I'd cut him some slack.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

10. 61. "So you're responsible for the kind of crap Channel Four produces!" Speaking to then chairman of the channel, Michael Bishop, in 1962.
    Channel 4 started in 1982.

Anyway a lot of them are quips, not gaffes imho.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You know he only does this to generate some headlines and stop the Royal Family sending off to do something boring and I think some people just don't get the humour.

Given the amount of time he spends doing charitable work, he definitely could do with a break. How many 90 year olds are still globetrotting and causing havoc like him.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

+ Reply to thread