+ Reply to thread

Thread: What factor Sunscreen do you use?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default What factor Sunscreen do you use?

The latest advice being given to those in Britain is that using factor 15 Sunscreen lotion is not enough, you should be using at least factor 30?

About 20 years ago, factor 30 was only for toddlers and everyone else was using factor 5 or 10?

What's changed? Is it the rating system or just awareness of skin cancer and how to prevent it as I doubt the sun has changed that much?

So what factor do you use?

Personally, I think I will stick with a hat.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I use at least 30, cause I'm pasty. These days, the stuff for kids has 45 or even 50 in it, and I've heard there's backlash against that because kids aren't going to get the vitamin D they need. Personally, I don't put it on any of us unless we're going to be out in direct sun for a quite a while, like on a long outing. If we're going on a short walk, or are in and out of the house and not likely to get sunburned, I skip it.
    '

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I use 30, but I rarely am out in the sun so it's rare I'll use the stuff.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    What's changed? Is it the rating system or just awareness of skin cancer and how to prevent it as I doubt the sun has changed that much?
    Awareness has changed, definitely. I don't know if it's just the skin cancer thing, it might also be the realization that sun damage accelerates aging.

My daily moisturizers are SPF 15. If I'm going to be out all day somewhere sunny, I break out the big guns: SPF 30 or 50.

I am very pale, and I aim to keep it that way.

Registered
    Mar 2009

No idea what I use, but it works so I assume at least 30. I burn really easily, half an hour in the noonday sun can leave me lightly burned but whatever I use works like a charm.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jan 2010

For some reason there is a tube of 30+ right beside me, so that must be what we use on the children. I'm a M.A.N, so I never use the stuff.

Note to self: annual skin check and skin cancer burnoff is due.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I simply don't go out in the sun much. If I need to be out long enough that I need to worry, SPF 45 is where it's at for me, but I do better just avoiding the sun for the most part. I get enough to keep my vitamin D up and otherwise I'm careful to not get too much. I must be doing something right, since I still get carded regularly!
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

+ Reply to thread