+ Reply to thread

Thread: 100th anniversary of the Titanic launch

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default 100th anniversary of the Titanic launch

100 years ago, the Titanic was launched from its Belfast shipyards. It was the largest moving man-made object at its time and as everyone remembers sank on its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York.

A service was held at he dockyards to commemorate its launch and a minutes silence observed for those who lost their lives.

More here.

*puts on Celine Dion track*
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Imagine the feelings the people who built that ship had on that day, they never would have anticipated what would happen.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Mr Bennett said: "For the last 100 years Titanic has often not been mentioned. It's been our shame, our secret.

"We've almost had a hundred-year moment of silence, so really we're trying to rediscover the pride today."
    This is nonsense. They get a lot of mileage out of it to this day in Belfast and it's something I don't quite understand. They're proud of having built the most famous ship to have ever sunk. The last time I was in holiday there I was told by a local that they're gearing up for the 2012 centennary of the disaster and they hope to siphon some of the tourists from London for the Olympics.

They even have a mural.

Registered
    Sep 2009

There was even an Irish steerage passenger in the movie who boasted of the ship having been built by Irishmen.

+ Reply to thread