+ Reply to thread

Thread: Could you be a vegetarian?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Could you be a vegetarian?

It's National Vegetarian Week in the UK highlighting the benefits of a meat free diet and showing off some excellent vegetarian foods and recipes.

I'll be honest, I don't think I could go vegetarian, I'm just to picky with food and I enjoy eating meat. Most of the meat I get was from well cared from animals and having grown up in the country, I know exactly where meat comes from.

So, if you are not a vegetarian, could you become one?
    If you are a vegetarian, why did you become one?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

I was a vegetarian for seven years, of which I was a vegan for half a year. I also worked as a vegan sous chef for a couple of years.

I became a vegetarian to try to get away from eating too many grease burgers, but found that as a vegetarian I ate too many carbs and sugars.

Bottom line: I am an omnivore at heart, and I need to watch what I eat, be it a vegetarian diet or an omnivorous diet.
    Last edited by Muffin; 26 May 2011 at 10:31 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I could not. I am pretty badly anemic, and I'm sure that there are vegetarian alternatives and supplements I could take, but the thing that always makes me feel better when I'm shaky is a steak (or some good steak tacos from my favorite Mexican place). Easy access to something that not only makes me feel better but has a taste I enjoy.

Omnivore, here.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I've considered it, and I think I could make it work with more time/space to cook for myself.

Then again - bacon. So maybe not.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, the falling-back-on-carbs thing would definitely be a problem (I have trouble with that now, as it is). Plus, I love love love food and I'm not sure I would find a veg diet satisfying from a food-fan perspective. So...it would be super hard, and I don't think I'd like it much.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 26 May 2011 at 01:53 PM.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

21 years come Jan 1st.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I wouldn't, I enjoy meat too much.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've done it before and I could do it again, but I think I eat better with a bit of lean meat in my diet. My vegetarian diet relied pretty heavily on things like black beans, flax seed, spinach, mushrooms, cheese and nutritional yeast. It actually ended up being far higher in complete proteins than I would have expected. Replacing my starches with beans really helped and it was remarkably easy to get those complete proteins. If you're on a vegetarian or vegan diet, relying too heavily on bread can really mess you up.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I haven't eaten at all in the last year. And in all that time the only thing I've craved is meat. So no as soon as I can eat again I'm gittin' me a fat juicy steak with a side of pork chops.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

Don't let Jasmuheen snatch it away from you.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I could probably hack it for a while. I'm not a huge steak fan but I don't usually say no to a nice burger or brat. I'm also quite lazy and would probably resent the effort of learning new meat free recipes.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Mar 2009

No way, I couldn't do it. Apart from finding meat delicious, cheap and satisfying, I can't function without red meat. Give me chicken, fish, nuts, grains, green leafy veggies (all excellent sources of iron), I'll still feel sluggish after a week. Might be all in my head, but it's real enough.

And then there's that time I was living off cereal and vegetable soup for a week and my libido crashed.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sure, I could do it if I had some compelling reason. I lurves me some good meat (she said, picking meat stramds from between her teeth due to having just consumed some beautifully grilled Australian grass-fed beef) but I love a lot of different foods. We are "semi-vegetarian", meaning we don't eat meat a lot of the time. Probably 1-3 meals we eat every week are totally vegetarian, another 1-2 vegetarianish (meaning that meat broth was used, but no actual meat pieces), and 1-3 involve actual hunks of meat. It wouldn't be THAT hard to change, and every now and then I do go totally vegetarian.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I can go a meal, or even a day or two, without animal protein. That's about it.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Apr 2009

I was (ovo-lacto-[well, kind of lacto, I used butter, and cheese because fake cheese is a crime against humanity, but I used nondairy milks]) vegetarian for several months before OCS moved in with me. I didn't find it hard to do at home (eating out was a pain in the ass). Cooking from scratch was much less expensive, but the convenience foods were much more expensive. I could do it again, but I think I'd probably cheat at restaurants because vegetarian restaurant meals seem to rely pretty heavily on mushrooms, which I hate.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I wouldn't, I enjoy meat too much.
    I could if I had to, or if I were under doctor's orders, but I expect I'd be very unhappy with such a diet in short order. I enjoy steak, hamburger, veal, chicken, hot dogs, all kinds of seafood, etc. too much to be content with a vegetarian diet.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Muffin View post
    Don't let Jasmuheen snatch it away from you.
    This is what I survive on. It gets injected straight into my belly. And has a nasty artificial vanilla flavor when I belch.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, man, Glazer, that doesn't seem fun, at all. How are you doing, and how long before you can eat again?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Two weeks ago the Doctor went in to dilate my esophagus. Instead he found that the front and back of my esophagus had scared together. So he cut it back opened is letting that heal. At the end of June he will go back in and dilate. Then I'll go see a swallowing therapist. So it looks like Early to mid July at the soonest, one year to the week since I last ate real food.

The good news is that after he cut now I can swallow small drinks of water and thin liquids.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yikes. Sounds like you are on the mend, though, which I am so glad to hear.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Glazer View post
    Two weeks ago the Doctor went in to dilate my esophagus. Instead he found that the front and back of my esophagus had scared together. So he cut it back opened is letting that heal. At the end of June he will go back in and dilate. Then I'll go see a swallowing therapist. So it looks like Early to mid July at the soonest, one year to the week since I last ate real food.

The good news is that after he cut now I can swallow small drinks of water and thin liquids.
    Wow, what an ordeal. Thanks for the update, though - I was wondering how you were doing.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Here's to a smooth and speedy recovery from here on out!

+ Reply to thread