+ Reply to thread

Thread: How important is Fashion?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default How important is Fashion?

Several of the big news stories over the past month or so have been hijacked by what appears to be the incredibly important views of who is wearing what.

Now admittedly, a royal wedding is an opportunity to for everyone to put on their finest, but the degree of detail as to who was wearnng what and where it copied or bought from, what colours were in, what colours were out and so on and so forth.

With the current visit of the POTUS, several passages in the newspapers, not just on the fashion pages, were spent analysing not just everything that was worn by the ladies but also the gentleman's suits as well.

Is it really that important?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Important or not, many people find it interesting. People tend to make judgements about others based on how they present themselves, and fashion can be a big part of that.

Also, it's sort of an art form. I view it sort of like modern sculpture - something that other people obviously appreciate, but I don't really get. But Michelle Obama looked slamming in that white gown she wore at Buckingham Palace.
    Last edited by Orual; 26 May 2011 at 11:17 AM.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm not sure it's as important as the media makes it out to be, but it's important. I think clothing says a lot about a person, and if that person is representing their country, as in the examples you gave, then it tends to be a reflection on the country, as well. Remember when the Soviet officials used to wear those bad-fitting suits and dowdy dresses? They were making a statement about what the values of their country were supposed to be, and I think Queen Elizabeth has deliberately chosen to maintain her style partially as a reflection of her vision of the monarchy...staid, formal, unchanging. So, yes, clothes are important, and when you're young and good looking and you are trying to represent your country as progressive and moving forward, as the Obamas and Will & Kate are, then looking fashionable is part of that.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I think it is foolish foppery but I am a mid 40's geek who never cared about fashion. I mean I still wear mostly T-shirts on the weekends.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's certainly not as vitally important as nuclear proliferation, global climate change and terrorism, but it's one facet of the human experience that many find interesting. And some people make snap judgments about the worth or significance of others based on what they wear, so those who must influence others as part of their jobs - monarchs, politicians, salesmen, entertainers, media types, academics, etc. - would be wise to dress well.

+ Reply to thread