+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mel Gibson - Is his career over?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Mel Gibson - Is his career over?

According to the latest reports, his latest film, "The Beaver" is a stinker and even the assistance of Jodie Foster as director can't help.

So given that he never got his cameo in "The Hangover 2", his past anti-semetic outbursts, and trouble with his partners, is that it for Mad Mel?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Over as a huge star. This is the point where he gets all introspective, pretends that this is a "good thing" and starts doing strange indie work--like that strange JCVD that Van Damme just did.

He'll be cool again in a decade, though never again huge. His reemergence will not be unlike Micky Rourke's.

By 2023 or so he will have starred in something akin to The Wrestler. All will be forgiven, but he'll be old and suitable only for bizarre, middle-budget things that review well in alternative media but don't make much money.

He'll be a curiosity and minor box office draw for a few years after that...then fade away for good.
    Last edited by Oliveloaf; 17 May 2011 at 10:43 AM.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Oliveloaf's scenario sounds plausible, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was 100% prophetic, but there's one major difference between Mel and someone like Mickey Rourke: Mel Gibson is still absurdly wealthy. That means he can continue to produce (and if he wants, direct) films if he wants to, and if those films are profitable, Hollywood can have a very short memory.

Registered
    Mar 2009

True. He could literally buy his way out of this slump.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Along these lines, Tom Cruise needs to take some semi-indie dark and possibly disturbing role soon. Reestablish his cred.

Not that I think he ever had cred...

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I thought Tom Cruise was smart to take that role as the evil movie producer in Tropic Thunder. He uglied himself up and completely threw himself into the (utterly absurd) role. I came out of the movie thinking he might have a glimmer of a sense of humor, despite his Scientological weirdness.

Mel Gibson, though ... I can't even watch his old movies anymore without feeling nauseated.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, Gibson is poison to me now.

I rather liked him. Now...don't want to see him.

-Jim Rockford

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Along these lines, Tom Cruise needs to take some semi-indie dark and possibly disturbing role soon. Reestablish his cred.

Not that I think he ever had cred...
    Cruise never had much talent, Mel actually did. Both are asses but in different ways.

I think Mel is mostly done now. Tom too though.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oliveloaf's prophecy seems entirely plausible to me, too.

As unpleasant as they are as human beings, Mel & Tom are still capable of good work. I saw Mel's Edge of Darkness and Tom's Knight & Day in the past few months, and both were pretty good flicks. I've always been able to maintain a distinction between the artist and his or her art, although I completely understand that others can't or don't.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I wonder if the same can be said for Ahnold now details of his infidelities are coming out. Terminator 5, terminated.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    I wonder if the same can be said for Ahnold now details of his infidelities are coming out. Terminator 5, terminated.
    I doubt it. He got elected in the first place amid allegations of sexual harassment and with ample video evidence of him using drugs back in the day, and that was as a Republican political candidate. Now he's going back to the more forgiving of his professions. The only real surprising thing about this recent news is that he had a secret kid; I don't think anyone would be terribly surprised that he's been unfaithful.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    I doubt it. He got elected in the first place amid allegations of sexual harassment and with ample video evidence of him using drugs back in the day, and that was as a Republican political candidate. Now he's going back to the more forgiving of his professions. The only real surprising thing about this recent news is that he had a secret kid; I don't think anyone would be terribly surprised that he's been unfaithful.
    I guess Whoopi Goldberg would be hosting the welcome home party, I mean it wasn't unfaithful-unfaithful, was it.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    This is a big blow to his family and political career, but that was probably done anyway. I don't think this will stop his movie career any more then just being 63 will.

+ Reply to thread