+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions you need the answer to.

Registered
    Jul 2013

fine. i was wrong in saying they were "dress" shoes -- just something casual to wear that isn't sneakers and probably won't hurt my feet.

sorry if i hurt your feelings, tinkerbell.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Anyway, joking aside. I do have a question about slip-on boots. Apparently these are Doc Marten (sp? isn't there some TV show with that name?) "Chelsea boot" style. The leather finish is about what I wanted -- something I can wear with jeans or khakis and a sportcoat and not look like a complete tool. They were more in-line in price with what I'd pay for a nice set of trail shoes (like some low-cut Merrill's), but still enough that I want to get a thousand miles of walking out of them. Don't call me a Jew! I just hate shopping and don't like spending money on crap like fashion shit.

I'd estimate daily, just getting from A to B, I put at least three or four miles of pavement walking on them per day. I like to walk, so sue me!

So what to do when the soles wear out? The soles/uppers on trail shoes and trail runners get me about a thousand miles. But these soles are all rubbery and shit -- they don't seem like they'd last. Resole them? Nah.

Fuck it, I should have just gone to K-Mart and bought some regular leather loafers like I used to do.

Need answer fast! zomg!

eta also, WTF with the sizing? there just happened to be a dr marten (or whatever it's called) store by where i commute back home, so I go in, and like "yeah, OK, these look fine, let's try them on" I wear size 13 running/trail shoes. these are fucking 11s. ELEVEN! it's like when Clark Gable insisted no other man on the screen with his shirt off could have chest hair -- it made him feel less macho. god fucking dammit I do not wear 11s! this is humiliating! but i went down to 12s and they still felt too lose. god dammit! fuck!
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 04 Feb 2015 at 05:03 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK, totally new question, after something totally different. Cause all this fashion shit is giving me the shits.

So I have a modest Facebook page, with a few carefully-selected friends, and a very few mere acquaintances. There are a few high school people -- two or maybe three -- who have gone to do interesting things and/or are amusing to me.

I willy-nilly accepted the friend request from another high school acquaintance -- a well-known novelist. And I liked the stuff she posted to her wall, and life was still good.

Then, all of a sudden, around holidays time, apparently all these other HS people started friend-requesting me. Keep in mind, I went to a small high school, so everyone knew everybody. But these were some of my best friends in high school who were requesting me, so I was, like "OK, accept, accept, blah-de-blah, accept."

A few days ago I decided? My FB page is private, content for friends only. So I just did a Stalin-style purge and unfriended all these people who pestered me with friend requests.

Is that bad?

I actually liked these people -- I mean, we drove in cars together, smoked weed, got jobs together. These aren't just some total randos. But shit, it's been twenty years and you want me to let YOU see what I write on my FB wall to my actual friends?

sorry, no. So, just do an email.

YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just figured it out. These people just wanted to increase their "friend count" (ignoring that, obviously, a lower FB friend list count is superior), and were like "hey why not?"

Fuck, I friend internet people i never met or random barflies all the time, so it's not like I'm exclusive.

But if they have nothing to say, then they are lower than scum to me, socially. eta AND THEY ARE WASTING SPACE ON MY FACEBOOK LIST
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 04 Feb 2015 at 05:55 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So I guess in the course of writing, you decided "not bad"?

Edit: By the way, did you know that you can "unfollow" people on FB without "unfriending" them? Saves me from a lot of illiterate political rants without hurt feelings.
    Last edited by Rube E. Tewesday; 04 Feb 2015 at 06:43 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I do know, and I have done that. Still, I don't want people who aren't people I know being included in my "friends" list. It was time to clean house.

To my credit, it took me about a week to decide.

To my discredit, I accepted them in the first place.

To my credit, FB is really annoying about plastering "alert! alert! friend request!" everytime u check out yr page.

Registered
    Jul 2013

oh yeah, so question.

since am on some fashion quest, wtf i just cursorily scanned amazon for a navy blazer (a regular one, without the fancy buttons).

is apparently 40L not a size people carry? i checked land's end and same deal.

SO WHERETF can I buy a nice blazer in navy?

OR.....(yes, I had a long LONG LONG text convo with a buddy about this two days ago...trust me, it was a long conversation exclusively via text), should I just buy a navy suit?

My convo w my friend started with "if I wear a red tie do I look like a republican?"

I saw Bill Murray in Ghostbusters the other night wear a black suit with a red tie for that bank interview and I was like "shit that looks slick!"

apparently according to my bud if you wear a red tie with a black suit you look like a vampire who just feasted.

since i don't need a suit, but i'm trying to spruce up my wardrobe, i think another sportcoat without busted elbows and burned-out pockets. navy blue sounds good.

WTF why can't i find a 40L anyplace online?

Registered
    Jul 2013

just went to JosABanks online. Also, they dicked me on the 40L.

fuck it, might have to just go to the Mall/Banana republic or Macy's

eta fuck it I'm going to men's wearhouse. stupid shit motherfuckers. fuck this shit.

did I mention shopping 4 clothes sucks an ass?

yes?

good.

so new question -- why would multiple, unassociated crews systematically trim bark from various conifers? i'm no tree surgeon, but aside from one dead tree it seems retarded.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 04 Feb 2015 at 07:40 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I would've suggested Jos. A. Bank or Lands End, too. Or have you tried Paul Fredrick? Not the highest quality in the world, but not bad: http://www.paulfredrick.com/Catalog/...sb_Sport_Coats

Registered
    Jul 2013

Thanks for the tip. Man, I hate all this domestic shit, but sometimes got to do it.

So what's up with these arborists flaying big strips of bark off trees?

Registered
    Jul 2013

oh for added interest, i pulled the trigger on http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_357199 in navy. apparently 41L is as close as I could find. i can always replace the buttons -- have a new sewing needle!
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 05 Feb 2015 at 01:02 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hey, here's a question: what the hell IS the deal with this office manager?

So yesterday, he came out of his office and actually gave me some helpful warning about this woman I've known for a few years. She's a legit nutjob, but I knew that -- she's been over to my place to listen to me play piano -- and she came up to chat at a friend's place when we were just hanging on the balcony. So she and I are cool -- I think she's pretty nice and her eccentricities amuse me. apparently she's called the sherrifs in the past accusing various residents of some nonsense, so it was a good warning (I'm not concerned -- she thinks I'm some kind of gentleman scholar and I chat with her in passing every now and then).

So that's good -- he's relatively new here, and I think is just getting acclimated to some of the nutjobs around here (mostly older retired people who go apeshit about every little thing in the association).

So I popped my head in the office to ask "hey do you happen to know a pizza joint that delivers to this neighborhood"? He produced a set of coupons for this take-out place across the street -- some special coupons they gave as a sop to new property managers.

So that's cool!

But then he's like -- I can give you a lift up there if you want -- I'm going that way anyway.

Also cool -- I accepted and it was a nice thing.

But still, kind of weird.

I'm going to assume he thinks I'm a twinker and is trying to hit on me.

Which is also cool with me -- I take it as a compliment.

Still, pretty weird. So what am I missing here? Any other explanations?

He could be a hardcore alcoholic and just has diminished inhibitions.

Those are the only two things that come to mind.

Registered
    Feb 2009

If we're ruling out "plans to kill you and cannibalize the corpse", those sound like the most likely, yeah.

My question: Why is my dentist sending me "Happy Birthday" e-mails? Am I supposed to be happy that my dentist's computer remembers me? Am I supposed to be motivated to go in and get five thousand dollars worth of cosmetic surgery out of gratitude?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hell, I got on American Spirit's mailing list for some reason a long time ago. They send me all kinds of crap like "Happy Thanksgiving!" and, once, a seed packet for some culinary herb. High quality card stock, in envelopes. Fucking bizarre -- just send me a coupon I can give to somebody, already.

Hell yes your dentist is trying desperately to drum up business! Get some braces, already -- he's earned it! Or tip him on Christmas like he's a mailman or garbageman.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Old joke:

A mailman knocks on a door a few days before Christmas to deliver a package. The lady of the house, quite beautiful, is standing there in a negligee and high heels. She invites him in and takes him to bed. The sex is amazing. Afterwards, she takes a dollar from the nightstand and hands it to him.

He's baffled. "What's this for?"

She smiles. "My husband and I were talking about tipping for Christmas - the barber, the garbage man and so on. When your name came up he said, 'Aw, fuck him. Give him a dollar.'"

Registered
    Jul 2013

surprisingly i haven't heard that one. cute joke.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    If we're ruling out "plans to kill you and cannibalize the corpse", those sound like the most likely, yeah.
    Yes, we are ruling that out, BTW. He's kind of doughy, and roughly my height -- that's what leads me to think he's probably an alkie. I could beat his ass to death if I wanted to, I'm positive.

OTOH, he's a super nice guy and gives me all kinds of friendly advice and attention when I swing by on my way home to use the wifi up here, so there's no question at all that I want to fight him.

Just saying, I can see him getting out-of-breath after a few minutes of sparring and dropping his guard.

NO THIS IS NOT internet tough guy speech, just saying he's not going to kill me.

I wouldn't rule out cannabilizing me while on bath salts, though -- you never know!

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK, here's a real question.

What ARE the margins like in the premade cigarette business? It can't possibly cost a given company much to package, purchase raw tobacco (paper and filters are, I'm sure, so cheap they can be ignored as raw materials). I know there's a heavy tax load for the retail customer, federal invariant and by (US) state highly variable.

So why don't those fuckers just send me a coupon instead of this bullshit "building good will" junk mail. I don't smoke cigs, but I could conceivably use a coupon if I got a yen to smoke some cigs, or just give them to some of my friends/family who do smoke that jizz-soaked foul product.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't know on that one. I don't suppose there's as much money in cigarettes as there used to be, but selling an addictive product still has to be pretty lucrative.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, yeah -- that's what I was getting at. The manufacturing equipment is probably very old and well-understood, the raw materials are probably pretty cheap, so they can just crank them out! That was my guess; I was just wondering how to quantify what their businesses' money-structure is. I know most of the companies are conglomerated corporations, but just on strictly cigs, you know.

I'm not thinking of invest in an individual stock share, mind you -- just kind of curious about it, is all.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hey, here's a fresh question:

should I stop not-unchecking the box for "display signature" on most posts? i thought it was a funny phrase I just happened on, but does it annoy people here to have to look at it every time I post my brilliant contributions? i notice no one else has a siggie.

i mean, i'm not asking for advice for my case in particular, just "how annoying DO you people find signatures in general [the kind on web forums]?"

maybe i'll change it to a giant 'X'

Registered
    Feb 2009

Don't bother me, none. Myself, I just couldn't be bothered to come up with a signature.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Good to know -- I only frequent one other forum these days (a keyboard-player forum), and some of those people get really elaborate with their signatures. That wouldn't be for me -- way too much effort. I just thought "my" quote was hilarious taken entirely out of context.

Here's a good question -- WTF is going on with these blisters on my feet? They never formed blisters properly -- just massive skin taken off. Turns out I had some of those big band-aid type things, but they don't seem to help much.

(a) I'm tempted to just use the hiker's trick and coat my heels with duck tape -- seems like that's a little more sturdy. Doesn't seem too hygienic, but I have gelled alcohol (Purell-type) and am not afraid to use it. Good idea?

(b) WTF? why aren't my sores healing? it's been like three or four days, and I go barefoot in my apartment to let air circulate and such. still hurts like a motherfuck. don't look infected, though, knock wood, maybe it's just my smooth lady-like feet aren't used to this abuse. maybe i should start bathing in milk. fuck. damned. suggestions?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Soothing bath for a few days, sure, but don't be scared to call a podiatrist. Sore feet is a misery.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Soothing bath for a few days, sure, but don't be scared to call a podiatrist. Sore feet is a misery.
    True. I shouldn't really be complaining -- I know at least one person with neuropathy of the foot -- but that's what I do, is complain.

Yeah maybe epsom salts foot bath, but, honestly, the rest of my life is a disaster zone, so I'm not going to do that. Just keep barefeet, cleaning with gelled alcohol.

True story -- I test-drove the duck tape (on top of some of those big band-aids (I don't know why they were in my medicine cabinet -- pretty sure my mom must have been doing one of her OCD purges years ago and was like "hey here's some of this!" -- well whatever it was, that was a happy accident, even though they work for shit on my strata of flayed flesh inside heels).

It works! Fucking A -- never had chance to try the old duck-tape salve, but it works fucking great.

I could even keep these boots and just tape my heels every single day.

+1!!!!!!

Registered
    Jul 2013

How is it fucking possible that I drank an entire 1.75L of whiskey yesterday, and woke up feeling tired, but basically OK? Bags under my eyes, sure, and tired as shit, but no tremulous hands, pretty much very good memory of what I did yesterday, didn't insult anybody to their faces, including up to going to bed. Didn't fall down any stairs, didn't piss myself -- I was no Norman Maine.

For those that don't know, that is a SHITLOAD of alcohol. Not sure what my motivation was -- just wanted to shut my brain off and try to forget all these annoying things in my life.

ETA I think the answer is (a) I have developed a tolerance to the chemical and (b) when I woke up, it was still in my system, kind of as a buffer of sorts.

Oh, as a follow-up -- I think my flayed skin on my heels might be hardening into calluses. That's a good thing -- I've been told I have nice feet, probably because I trim my toenails regularly and most people are slovenly hippies, unlike me. But I'm zen with having some nice, tough feet -- probably serve me well.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 11 Feb 2015 at 09:20 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

New question -- I know Bryan Garner and perhaps other scholars of English usage deprecate the (correct) term "duck tape," but do I sound like a pretentious douche when I use the term (obviously in opposition to the standard "duct tape")? My reasoning is that I don't know shit about ducts and duct repair, but the way it's pronounced, the tape, always sounds like "duck" to me -- and I like parsimony.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Actually, and I can't be bothered to research it right now, I seem to recall that there's a theory that "duck tape" is correct, it's the original brand or something. So I wouldn't sweat it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I don't mind sigs, but for variety's sake appreciate it when they're changed once in awhile.

I always heard it as "duct tape," with "duck tape" as a cute but wrong variant. Here's Wiki; the section on "Usage in spaceflight" is particularly interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, "duck tape" is the correct term, but deprecated to the vulgarism "duct" tape, in honor of vulgar usage.

But new question -- I am hanging with my parents and after I took my mother's plate to help out I got a lecture about "zomg don't put that plate in the dishwasher!" I'm like "why the fuck not? what's a dishwasher for anyway?"

apparently we have different ideas. of course i'm right, but WTF? either put the dish in the robot machine, or wash it by hand -- don't do both.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm with you, Bud. I soak pans with deep issues, but ordinary plates go right in. If the dishwasher and detergent I have aren't up to washing dishes, I work on finding what will.

Registered
    Jul 2013

vindicated! i will never understand why people with dishwashers don't just let the machine do the work.

it's fucking weird to me -- isn't that what the machine is for?

New question: does anyone else who has parents still alive is kind of annoyed spending time with them? I should feel blessed they're both still here, but at the same time, am not exactly overjoyed to spend time with them, usually. Fortunately it's by choice that I choose to see them, but, man, they just have a completely different way of doing things from me.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Actually, and I can't be bothered to research it right now, I seem to recall that there's a theory that "duck tape" is correct, it's the original brand or something. So I wouldn't sweat it.
    Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    I always heard it as "duct tape," with "duck tape" as a cute but wrong variant. Here's Wiki; the section on "Usage in spaceflight" is particularly interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape
    NERD FIGHT!

NERD FIGHT!

first blood!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Here's a legitimate question: why do I all of a sudden have a bunch of aches and pains all over? I guess I'm just getting old, but I don't have shingles or the flu and haven't even had the cold for well over a year.

This is fucked up.

Anybody else just has a problem getting up out of a chair without it hurting? I'm 38 fucking years old -- not ready for the rest home quite yet -- but maybe I am. I had a liver panel about a year ago (or recently, I don't remember) and it was fine, my BP is fine -- from 106/80 to as high as 127/80. Resting pulse rate, fine.

Fucking weird. I blame these new shoes.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And another thing -- does anybody else feel especially more crabby as they get older?

I was always a very VERY serious student, even though I had my wild side (and, frankly, still do), but I have never been as annoyed or crabby at general annoyances as in the past few years. Maybe it's a coping mechanism, or maybe I just don't give a shit.

Know what I mean?

Registered
    Feb 2009

well, the pain, which I think is pretty common as you get older, probably doesn't help with the crankiness. And, I don't know, some people get more cranky as they get older, others get more mellow. Situation has a lot do do with it. If you feel like you should be doing something else, you're probably not gonna be happy, no matter the age.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I politely decline a nerd fight.

As for aging, my usually-soft-spoken grandfather said with great vehemence, "Growing old is hell!"

Registered
    Jul 2013

Good wisdom. I like to figure stuff out for myself, but TBH, sometimes it's damned good to have a second set of ears. That's why I like this place and you people -- helps me figure stuff out, and I hope to be able to someday return the favor, if it's ever needed. lol.

thanks.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    I politely decline a nerd fight.

NO!!!! you MUST have a nerd fight! it's the rules!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Fight with tridents! I must say, I'm impressed, EH, you remembered those lines from *Anchorman* -- I have a pretty good memory for recalling things from movies, but I saw the movie just screwing around trying to relax a few years ago. "Smells like bigfoot's dick"! "Jazz flute is for little fairy boys"! Classic stuff.

Unique New York!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Ugh. Here's a real question -- do people actually HAVE hobbies? I know a lot of people enjoy building shit or fixing cars or home dentristry, but none of that is for me. Maybe watching movies or jerking off. But I don't think of studying books or music as hobbies -- they take a lot of my admittedly limited "brain"-power and energy.

So, I should probably get a hobby or whatever, to help me chillax. Drinking beer and watching movies is probably not maximally healthful. But I'm certainly not going to be knitting socks or getting back into cooking -- not unless I've been drinking heavily and am super-bored.

And I don't live near a river, so taking up fishing again isn't a convenient option.

So, what? I already walk a shitload, and I no longer have the time to spend a day pounding out 20-25 miles among these jogger hillbillies, anyway.

Ideas?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, I probably am not a great person to ask. When I'm not working, I'm probably hanging out with my kid or watching TV with my wife.
    I gotta say, though, my mother's love of bird-watching was pretty impressive. And there are lots and lots of them to watch.

Registered
    Jul 2013

or wasting time on mellophant, you forgot to mention!

Registered
    Jul 2013

As my 6-YO nephew seems to constantly ask his grandma "When will Jack get a wife?" He really seems concerned about that. I don't have the heart to say "'Jack' has had a bunch of wives, and it's not that great, little man!"

Fuck, I should probably find a good woman and have a stable life. But, she better be cool as shit and not give me any static -- in return, I can play pretty music on piano. Trust me, I know how to be a solid sender -- and a good cook -- but fuck if I'm a domestic guy in general.

Hey, it's all about give and take.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I will even serenade that bitch -- in honor of valentime day -- trust me, I can and do play like a romantic moron when I like or even (spit!) love the person.

Wow, that was a little bit too much, but you get the idea.

I think of music as a gift to give to someone -- it can be to one person, it can be to a crowd of people at a bar.
    s
    But just like any gift, you offer it freely and accept it graciously.

Did I mention yet that I don't like the way most people do things IRl?

OK, good.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm a yankee doodle dandy, yankee doodle do or die. a real nephew of my uncle sam, born on the fourth of july! talk about an earworm...you guys got me started, you hillbilly bitches!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Ugh. I finally sourced a jump-rope that I can start using this coming week.

Is this fucking retarded? It sounds good to me -- get back my push-ups back to a meager 100 qd, and get some cardio+balantce training without having to run through the streets like a moron wearing ridiculous exercise clothes in public.

I'm thinking it's going to help my Lilolman aches and pains something fierce, plus, I don't like feeling like a total puss.

Registered
    Jul 2013

"When is Jack going to get a wife!"

that little shit! i say that with love, but who got that idea in his head!

wait, from a few weeks ago "I don't want Jack to have a wife with dyed hair" (WTF?) "Can she have a car?" (I responded, verbatim "Sure, if she can fix it and I don't have to do anything with it!")

Yesterday I saw my new third nephew -- a week out...named "Ryan" -- jeez these babies are tiny! I guess he was 8.5lbs at birth, which is apparently pretty big. My sister looks great and I suspect she's looking forward to having a glass of wine or a cocktail after nearly a year. Don't blame her one bit! Unfortunately, pretty sure she's not going to be getting a lot of sleep!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Seeing Anchorman again so recently, those lines really stuck in my head. Love 'em!

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    I'm a yankee doodle dandy, yankee doodle do or die. a real nephew of my uncle sam, born on the fourth of july! talk about an earworm...you guys got me started, you hillbilly bitches!
    U.S. Grant was tone-deaf and once allegedly said, "I know just two songs. One is 'Yankee Doodle,' and the other isn't."

Registered
    Jul 2013

That's hilarious, actually -- I know basically nothing about Grant, except some horrid grumbling from friends down in AtlantaGA.

"When will why doesn't Jack have a wife?" (For some reason he calls me "Jack" -- no idea why, but whatever). ZOMFG! Not every single person on the planet needs to buy some more women or whatever the hell his parents told him!
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 15 Feb 2015 at 09:01 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

In a nutshell: Grant, born in Ohio but eventually moving to Illinois, was a West Point grad and a top U.S. general during the Civil War. He displayed real tactical skills early in the war, esp. in capturing the major Confederate fortified city of Vicksburg, Miss., but when placed in command of all U.S. forces basically pounded away against top Confederate commander Robert E. Lee using attrition tactics, at a terrible cost. It worked, though, and after less than a year he won the war. Three years later he was elected President, where he did his best but proved to be not an especially gifted politician. He made some terrible appointments and his administration was noted for its corruption, although he was not crooked himself.

+ Reply to thread