+ Reply to thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Questions you need the answer to.

Registered
    Jul 2013

well, I appreciate the advice.

Yes, I happen to agree with you.

It gets to be a multivariate computation — such as, working within a budget, as probably most households do, I have to compare against other purchases.

I think I may end up returning them today for something I'm a little happier with.

The "slate gray" (? I guess that's a color) doesn't really suit me for shorts.

And also, I don't really like wearing shorts around town/work — strictly for at home, for me.

No, I don't know why.

It's complicated.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't think this merits a whole thread, but I was just remembering a short conversation IRL a while ago.

This should probably be a poll or something, but unlike that other board, we're mostly (?) regular people here.

So, QUESTION: how much do you actually use calculus (that's a broad term, but let's say from the basics through differential equations, and stop at analysis of C or R)?

If you'd asked me before I was twenty-five or so, I'd have said, "Fuck you, nerd-head!" But as tools and techniques become more mainstreamed and require more mental computation (just like using a slide rule), I find optimization, and even household problems like electrical and plumbing issues, it's an indispensable tool.

At least the basic concepts: many computations involving functions over R are tractable, and nobody does it by hand like in school.

As an aside, I think high schools or whatever they're called in your countries should collapse trig/"pre-calc"/first-two-trimesters of Calc into a single year-long unit. None of it makes sense, at least for me, unless you see the big picture.

Registered
    Jul 2013

ALSO!!!!! Why are "people" calling various machine learning techniques, or minor fun toys like stuff in video games "Artificial Intelligence."

These are tiny parts of the broader field.

I'm going to shit the next time somebody says "AI" when they're talking about some toy cars or some fucktard robots.

Fucking idiots.

ETA OK, so the equivalent is like, somebody saying "biology" when what they mean is some tranny growing a dick out of their forehead. Modest gains in unimportant, but related areas.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 29 Sep 2018 at 02:53 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

QUESTION: I tend to, when I smile, involve the eyes in the whole thing.

Not something I think about, but as one ex-girlfriend said, "You smile with your eyes!" (She wasn't trying to flatter me, probably, since we'd been together at least a few months).

Oh, so my question is, how can one one actually (i) learn to "wink" with one eye (ii) is this just a salesman trick?

I've only known one of my mother's cousins to be able to do this, and it's extremely effective.

Don't want to sound like a dick, but it's pretty effective.

Can't be done with the mirror, though.

So, back to the question: has anyone here mastered the subtle wink of one eye?

I think it's a very effective technique, but I only have two eye "shapes": viz., "paying close attention" and "scrutinizing."

Registered
    Feb 2009

I can wink with one eye, but I don't do it much. I don't think it really works that well anymore.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Lucille Bluth!

No, I think the idea is it's not supposed to "work," it's just some kind of trick to play on other people.

Generate empathy and such.

Actually, QUESTION: Such tricks are pretty much the same as when we "mirror" others' behaviors or patterns of speech. Sort of let "them" suspect we're all on the same team. Yes?

And adjunct question: meh, not really anything wrong with that.

Registered
    Jul 2013

UNRELATED QUESTION SIR!!!

I've come to think that, even though I'm not in a leadership position now, the best way to get best results is look a person straight in the eye and give a firm handshake.

Nothing more than that is needed, except a good sense of humor, and lead with a decent bit of camaraderie.

ETA and the "edit" was for the "camaraderie" bit. Honesty. Seriously, they should teach this shit in schools and stuff.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 06 Oct 2018 at 12:45 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Is there no more finger-banging Mary Jane Rottencrotch, through her purty pink panties?

Is this true there is no more of that?

That's really important to know.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Here's one: I've noticed over the past year or so that I don't strictly need to shave if I miss a day. I mean, I don't look like a street urchin if I decide not to shave after a 24-hour period.

Of course, I do the clean-shaven thing, but what is that?

Maybe poor lighting in my bathroom, but while I still get the Nixon look after more than, say, 36 hours without shaving.

Low-"T"?

And an unrelated observation, since working with my hands in rougher environments, my fingernails grow like crazy.

I theorize that my musculature is sapping the facial-hair-growth energy and putting it into different anatomical places.

However, I do not think hormones work like that. Or I suspect not.

The follicles are still there and productive — I could certainly grow a beard (yet again) if I wanted to, based on observation of succession of days off (perhaps even a long weekend) but I prefer not to these days.

Gradual decay of testosterone or other androgens? Perhaps.

Registered
    Jul 2013

What is the best (dark-chocolate/khaki)-colored (well, something like that) pair of pants with a few extra pockets that could double with a navy or black sportcoat, in addition to doing some light duty? I.e., that doesn't look like "army man/tough guy" cargo pants, but can still have at least one extra pocket?

I've been scouring Amazon, but it's like drinking through a firehose.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Don't know, but check out Orvis. They often have pretty good manly stuff.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right I will. I'm not looking for "manly" stuff, just a good pair of khakis. Surprisingly hard to find, when one doesn't have a personal shopper or just get lucky.

Orvis...........what's that name........yeah, the guy in the pool hall from The Color of Money.

Good name, I guess.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And, yes, the extra pocket is for some pages of printed music/text or a small metronome, or maybe a pipe in a small tobacco pouch.

No, I'm not being coy about "tobacco pipe": that's really what it is and is used for. Normally that's a sportcoat's right-hand pocket, but sometimes you have to forgo that luxury.

Because apparently people don't wear sportcoats regularly in NA unless they're fancy, because people are idiots.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Question: if one's employer screws up on recording hours worked (obviously, for hourly workers), one's (US) State Attorney General would probably be interested to know.

Moreso if one's state AG is not Eliot Spitzer (God, I hated that guy when he was NYS AG, even before the whole scandal and stuff — he should never have been "promoted" or "elected" to governor).

Registered
    Jul 2013

Do you think that this girl I was somewhat interested in — mind you, just first as a friend. I'm not a complete sex fiend, although I do think she has the appropriate parts.

Anyway.

I wonder if she thinks that me picking up extra shifts that she works at (used to be my old shift), what, she thinks I'm stalking her or something?

True, I like being around her, generally, but the same is true for a number of other people on that shift.

Mainly, they needed extra help during that hour, so I volunteered to pick up an extra fifty bucks or whatever.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Do you think that this girl I was somewhat interested in — mind you, just first as a friend. I'm not a complete sex fiend, although I do think she has the appropriate parts.

Anyway.

I wonder if she thinks that me picking up extra shifts that she works at (used to be my old shift), what, she thinks I'm stalking her or something?

True, I like being around her, generally, but the same is true for a number of other people on that shift.

Mainly, they needed extra help during that hour, so I volunteered to pick up an extra fifty bucks or whatever.
    Not really enough information, but picking up overtime shouldn't be looked at as stalking.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Not really enough information, but picking up overtime shouldn't be looked at as stalking.
    I quite agree, good chap. I shall not lose my rag about it.

However, I observe her cool behavior towards me during those several overtime periods, as it were, to be uncharacteristic, and, were I a man of suspicious nature, I should have taken the slightest bit of concern.

That is well, good sir: your counsel is taken and I shall not concern myself with these peasant girls of poor breeding any longer.

Good day.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm kind of confused about the pronuncation of an "r" in one particular Indian woman's name.

Yeah, I know.

She seems to insist on pronunciation of the "r" as more a tongue-flap.

Yeah, I was obliged to learn the basics of the IPA and methods of teaching accents, in core UG classes, but also for teaching university/college students.

So, obviously I learned how to do trilled "r"s.

This woman is very friendly, and a good worker.

I suspect that she thinks that substituting a "d" (dental?) sound for the "r" is good enough.

Yes, she does have a dot on her forehead — clearly, that's part of her identity, but no, I don't know where she comes from.

Question: I should probably just ask her, since we talk a lot during the day, but she seems of the attitude, "Well, I told you twice!" IME people get tired of talking about their ethnicities,

OTOH, asking her if that's an "alveolar tongue flap" (no, I don't remember much beyond the phonetics I was told to repeat and draw on a chalkboard), (i) she doesn't know (ii) she doesn't dissociate her name from her culture.

I don't know.

[eta Yes, she's happier with pronounce like "pud-nee-ma" than "purr-neema" And no, I'm not trying to bang her. I just like to be a good neighbor, since we're going to be working together for a while.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 26 Oct 2018 at 12:04 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Better Question:

I think I've reverted to a middle-schooler.

Once one has lured a woman into one's (admittedly awesome place with lots of musical instruments and CDs and LPs), the best way to get vertical is to say "Let's get more comfortable — just the tip, honey." Or, "sugar, let's just lie down and have a nap."

Sexbot Old Man Version 2020.

Registered
    Jul 2013

QUESTION about tricking a "magician."

Here's the problem: I can't remember if this person who claimed to be "into" magic at work is the person I despise, or just a harmless nerd.

I don't have any skills at "magic" — even as a young kid I wasn't a very good card mechanic (not for want of trying ... and, yeah, I guess I was good at handling cards), except for some flourishes and a few passable tricks at dealing seconds or the usual false cuts and stuff.

However, I do have some shaved "Svengali" decks and some variations.

I'm sort of wondering if it wouldn't be kind of fun to do a cheap trick on this big shot.

No, I don't have any skills as a card manipulator (except I can beat your ass at gin rummy, punk), but it is kind of fun using a shaved deck of cards of various kinds.

Ethical?

Or Fun?

Neither?

Or both?

ETA And, no, don't even think about those little "peeking" tricks in gin rummy — I learned that before I could read music, and even then I knew it was a punk move. Flash that piece on the lane and me and Liam going to stick it up you ass! EETA However, reading how a person arranges his or her cards is valid. But I don't play gin rummy for money.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 03 Nov 2018 at 09:40 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Heh. Here's a question that probably can't be answered, but I'm sure some of you have opinions or perhaps experience in these things. Which sharing would be of interest to me, and, one hopes, perhaps others.

Since I'm doing a more "daylight" hour shift, and since I've managed to compensate for my mediocre eyesight without the use of glasses, I'm thinking about sniffing around a local pool "tournament league," which happens to be hosted at my regular after-work hang-out.

It's still a bit much for me to go out in the evenings — the "bar scene" is not anymore for me. Yes, I was young once: I know all about it, but the constant shrieking and so forth are not so much for me.

OTOH, every man should have a hobby. For me, playing/studying music and literature are more than hobbies — they aren't exactly fun, but pretty hard work.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Electronics question: I'm really peeved that, at times I cannot predict, my Android phone removes of its own accord the "silent" mode, and vibrates for some stupid crap.

I'm very tempted to try to create a little manual jumper cable between the speaker and whatever part of whatever bus it connects to. Probably just go from the bus to ground some place on the housing. I guess.

To be reasonably safe, I think a little resistor (of unknown R) would be needed.

However, while I have a bunch of ceramic resistors with the traditional color codes (yes, I'd have to look up the codes to refresh my memory, but that's easy enough), they're comparatively huge.

And there's the problem of easily connecting/disconnecting the jumper from ground to speaker: clearly, alligator clips aren't going to do it, nor is using a soldering pencil and that little siphon for removing solder.

This is quite a little problem.

Emphasis on little.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 18 Nov 2018 at 11:46 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

ETA And, no, don't even think about those little "peeking" tricks in gin rummy — I learned that before I could read music, and even then I knew it was a punk move. Flash that piece on the lane and me and Liam going to stick it up you ass! EETA However, reading how a person arranges his or her cards is valid. But I don't play gin rummy for money.
    That needs some explanation. The "peeking tricks" for Gin — the big ones are turning up the first two cards on the "draw" stack, while drawing one card seemingly from the top. Very cheap, no-skill trick, but still totally cheating. And, of course, if you know the bottom card on the draw stack — whether from just observing an incompetent shuffler or by some subterfuge "sneak peek" if one is dealing — gives a good advantage.

HOWEVER, "reading" how people arrange their cards is nothing about using a marked deck or crimping some cards while shuffling. It's more noticing how your opponent arranges the cards in his or her hand and making some deductions based on their discards. Not cheating, just observation.

Registered
    Jul 2013

How long until Amazon gets in big trouble for allowing "verified purchase" reviews for various products to cover obvious shill "reviews"?

I don't know, obviously, and I'm not sure what kind of "trouble" or liability The Company has at stake.

I think it's obvious that a great many reviews certified by Amazon.com as by "verified" purchasers are incredible.

I'm unsure of what consumer protection statutes have been violated, but I am sure that a civil lawsuit would be incredible without some extraordinary proof, which I doubt is accessible to anyone outside of The Company.

Registered
    Jul 2013

WHY? would some acquaintance (her name is Sh___by), deliberately taunt me by saying (M____ doesn't like you! She doesn't like you!)

I have a new coworker who is acquainted with this Sh__by who is constantly complaining about Sh__by, for some reasons.

He suggested when we were talking that she was just jealous or something.

Yeah, I'm familiar with women being jealous.

But why?

I think it's a case of a sabotage.

She may be right — clearly, it's not that M______ is jumping on my rod 24/7 — but what does she get out of deriding my, IMHO, perfectly reasonable desire to get to know M_____?

I suspect Sh__by is just being a pisser.

WHY? would someone get off on that?

It'd be like me ranting about jews or something — no possible reason except RL trolling.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 14 Dec 2018 at 06:51 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

At what point do you just write off a possible friendship/romantic interest?

I still think it would not be inappropriate to give one very light-hearted little putsch to M_____, saying "hey, the weather's not so bad these days: sure I can't interest you in taking a little walk through the rose gardens [or whatever] after work this weekend?"

On the one hand, if she were interested, she might have found a way to seek me out.

On the other hand, that might not have been her style.

Reasons for, are that she's friendly to me, and that I know how to pull this last-ditch approach off verbally without being creepy or demanding, and also that my feelings wouldn't be hurt if she says whatever.

Reasons against are that ... well, I can't think of a reason why not. It's very far from any type of harassment, in my understanding of the term.

More importantly I'm confident I can shape my final salvo ad hoc into a few different forms, based on how she responds at the moment.

OTOH, there is kind of a "sunken costs" fallacy, maybe, and maybe I should just forget about it.

But that would sadden me, not least that it's pretty rare to find someone who could be a good friend — never mind the sex or romance, that's not the most important to me right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm never going to understand why guitar players love using pedals so much.

Yes, I used wah pedals on the Rhodes piano, and distortion and chorus pedals.

But what's exactly the problem with using a free hand to control an effect?

Look at your average Hammond organ player: one hand is always moving drawbars, switching the Leslie speaker speed, and one foot is always on the one or several volume pedals, while the left foot is doing some other things.

Goddamned children.

"Stomp box" my ass.

If you have an extra foot, you're not playing it right.

Registered
    Jul 2013

QUESTION: I signed up for some extra hours at 0500 on 2-jan.

That is, the day after the day after New Years Eve Day.

Hmmm.

I'm no predator, nor am I a stalker, but I think it might be a good chance

Oh, forget it.

It's the first of January that is the holiday, and the midnight and stuff.

Well, I still think it would be a good idea to wish whatserface a bonne année, and offer a brief embrace.

Bah. Humbug.

Registered
    Jul 2013

QUESTION: I've been putting this off for a long time, and I'm diligent about sometimes checking the oil dipstick and the transmission fluid dipstick, and I still have about eight-hundred miles until the next "regular" recommended oil change (I drive about seventy miles per week, but it's all city driving, so,pretty hard miles).

Is Jiffy Lube (or similar?) really so bad for an oil change? I've actually never had to change the oil in a car, despite having done other stuff like brakes and stuff myself. BUT, previously, I never lived in a town where I'd be totally fucked without a car. Except here, but I grew up here during high-school, and I just knew about as much about cars as girls back then. Enough to work the dipstick, but that's it.

I know they hire kids right out of high school, and everyone's heard stories about them not replacing the oil cap on the underside of the chassis and the usual clip-joint upselling, which isn't a problem for me, just a minor annoyance.

Dealer's not an option: for one, I didn't buy this from a dealership (although I'm sure they would take my money), for second, I'm sure they're way too beaucoup for me.

Meh, I guess I'll just ask some random people at work or maybe a bartender or something.

IS IT WRONG to resist the Jiffy Lube? I contend it is not wrong, but probably overly cautious and skeptical.

Registered
    Feb 2009

FWIW, my wife's been taking our car to a Canadian equivalent of JiffyLube for years, with no problems.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, thank you for that. It does seem as though many people agree. And, it isn't that hard to change some oil (except for changing the filter, even on an older car, really needs that little two or three dollar oil filter tool, and may be next-to-impossible on newer cars without significant disassembly). I mean, I've had friends park in some parking lots where I rented, and it took them like two minutes.

Yeah, that's silly — if I owned human chattel I'd trust them to change the oil. I just don't feel like doing it myself.

I'm super annoyed at getting at the driver-side front headlamp bulb, though (the one behind the battery) and undoing this tiny little plastic clip. Annoying. But, not as annoying as getting pulled over and having to do the field sobriety test (which I would and have passed with flying colors).

NOT EVERYONE HAS FINGERNAILS! SOME OF US KEEP THEM SHORT!

Registered
    Jul 2013

OKAY.

Pretend you had a modest tax refund coming, and by some stroke of luck it weren't garnished by private creditors prior to receipt. And pretend you weren't the "judge" who rules in absentia that a judgment of such garnish....never mind. Why are these law firms based in CO? Fuck. Well, whatever.

(i) Nylon-string fully acoustic guitar

(ii) Semi-hollow Epiphone guitar, with maximum acoustic resonance, with a low action on the strings

(iii) Remington 870 shotgun, plus assorted slugs and cartridges

(iv) Ventilator II outboard Leslie speaker simulator for Hammond organ

ETA and of course (v) 401K, which is disadvantageous on the terms my employer offers, but boosting my Vanguard is OK. Not great. Vanguard as I have it is just great, but The Company does not make it much worthwhile to max out my contribution compared to my other options.

and (vi) if my so-called "premium" dental insurance continues to fuck me, pay out of pocket for another hygienist session.

EETA

No. If ungarnished, refund withdrawn in cash, and reserved for future fees for keeping my professional certifications current. I have enough coming in to cover insurance, food, mortgage, so long as I keep showing up to work and drawing my small wages.

Finished.

BUT, as an exercise, I wonder what you, the viewer at home, would do, among, say, the first four options.

Just for fun.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 31 Jan 2019 at 09:43 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Here's sort of a QUESTION:

Not an important question, but one that makes me a bit curious: at least enough to want to speculate.

So, everyone's probably met at least one person who seems to have outrageous stories from their past. That are obviously pure bullshit. It's fine with me: often they're entertaining to chat with, especially if you realize they're full of shit most of the time.

What's the idea behind that?

I'd say pathological liar, but that doesn't capture the idea. After all, when faced with an authority figure, I'll often lie just for fun or to fuck with them.

These people seem to have entire fantasy worlds constructed in their pasts. And they don't always present outwardly as eccentric or "interesting."

There must be some theories out there among psychologists, but I'd rather just ask the question here.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I wish I knew. I once knew a lawyer who told me about being counsel on a pretty well-known case. I was impressed, and looked up the case in the law books. His name didn't appear as counsel. I found out later that this wasn't the only thing he had been known to make up. I truly don't get it, especially in cases like this where it took pretty much no work to find out something was wrong.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, that type of thing.

Like this guy at work claims he sold a song to Glen Campbell in the early 1970s. Yeah, uh-huh.

And also claims to have "run the numbers" in some unspecified town in Rhode Island where he was known as "Tough Tony." Yeah, uh, when's the last time people ran numbers (as in, basically a low-grade lottery)? 1934?

I mean, it's all entertaining and everything, but some of it is just so absurd.

I for one would like to hear more stories about these folks: I wouldn't say there are a lot of them out there "in the wild," but every so often you meet one who just buries the needle on ridiculousness.

I understand that maybe some people get a bit older and maybe....I don't know...they just like to talk.

But there's the difference between the guy who claims he lost two out of seventy-two boxing matches in the Navy and never got a scratch on him — you know, just fish stories for fun.

No real comment, I just find it completely fascinating as a phenomenon.

//////////

ETA just to salt the pot a bit more, there is this guy in his mid-late seventies in my neighborhood known for embellishment. "Back when I was lecturing at Harvard...yadda blah" (which isn't entirely unreasonable, except when combined with all sorts of other "high society" claims.

He's an interesting case in that he knows an extraordinary amount about literary figures that are relatively obscure to the average "well-read" person, and also in music.

In his case, I think it was his way of breaking the ice for a conversation or trying to establish that he wants to connect with someone. Once I got to know him, he dropped all that bragging and we could just talk about Thomas Bernhard or Fürtwangler or movies from the 1930s.

So, that's a different case, and not as interesting as the really funny characters.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 05 Feb 2019 at 04:18 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

ETA just to salt the pot a bit more, there is this guy in his mid-late seventies in my neighborhood known for embellishment. "Back when I was lecturing at Harvard...yadda blah" (which isn't entirely unreasonable, except when combined with all sorts of other "high society" claims — pure bullshit).

But he's an interesting case in that he knows an extraordinary amount about literary figures that are relatively obscure to the average "well-read" person, and also in music.

In his case, I think it was his way of breaking the ice for a conversation or trying to establish that he wants to connect with someone. Once I got to know him, he dropped all that bragging and we could just talk about Thomas Bernhard or Furtwängler or movies from the 1930s, often with him offering genuine insight.

So, that's a different case, and not as interesting as the really funny characters.

Like I was saying before, I'm not above manipulating people like authority figures or such, sort of like a con-man, but for some reason I just couldn't outright make up stuff to anybody and be able to look them in the eye afterward.

Maybe these people missed their calling and should have gone into high-stakes poker or tried hustling people at pool.

That's my best guess.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh yeah, the same guy who was a brilliant songwriter, street tough, and so forth claimed to have on multiple occasions fought off assailants in Los Angeles, one time running an ad hoc bamboo spear through one of the would-be assailants.

And invariably when the cops came, they always seemed to tell him the same thing: "Don't call us, just do what you're doing."

I can't remember exactly what his rap was on those spurious incidents verbatim, but things like that.

On the other hand, I guess I could see the appeal of making up some little war stories. Probably involving a crossbow and a poison-tipped bolt, and how my great-grandfather, a freed slave in New Orleans, inspired the song "Stagger Lee."

Aw, I'm not trying to pick on these people — clearly they have an odd combination of imagination and balls.

The generous part of my nature wants to say, "Hey, if it makes them happy, I'll play along."

Registered
    Jul 2013

You know what? I have a few questions and I think some of you have some good answers.

Let's start with today. So, yadda yadda, I had to dop off some papers at my place of employment for a manager-type whatever yadda yadda. Since I was just droping off an updated CV and eksetera, but also since is Good Friday, I sort of cut corners and left my shirt untucked, tie undone, and left my jacket in the car.

LO anf fucking behold, I did indeed briefly pass whatse\erface on my way out. Oh, and BTW I got an immediate response for a phone interview for this one .

OH, my question. I'd planned if I'd seen whatserface and she said "Hey, whatcha doing?" My response was going to be "I like to talk about my personal life outside of work." Drops mic.

What other questions do I have? Exactly how many women can one be "interested in" at one time? M____ is still OK, but I'm not losing any sleep over her. But the new girl Nat__ie — she's not conventionally attractive, but I like her because she seems cool and is funny.

I am not a man-whore: but it's nice to meet and converse amicably with several women at once.

So, no, I have no questions.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, same question, but different spin, different girl.

What could possibly go wrong with my saying to Natalie, "Hey, I'm going to breakfast after work, and I think you should probably come with."

I don't have a problem with asking women out, it's just making them say "Yes" that's no so much probably good.

Should probably bring a change of clothes.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, but my real question is if it would have come to that and M_____ asked me a personal question, I think the best response is 'Well, I prefer to talk about my personal life outside of the workplace: ask me then."

And then just let it hang like a floating biscuit in the air.

And, you know what? I think I'm right.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Let's say someone broke the (fly) zipper on a pair of high-quality jeans.

WTF is the best solution?

Sewing a new ziper on is right out — "we" don't have the tools, and we don't have the technology.

Safety pin (just for cosmetics, so every two seconds some woman isn't pointing at your crotch and saying 'XYZ dork!'). Not that great. Sharp needle, pointed at crotch, I don't like it.

I'm liking just using a big-ass sailcloth needle and (one hopes) permanently sewing the fly shut. However, I doubt it's to be permanent: I don't know about anybody else, but I pretty often urinate or otherwise need access to the downstairs portion of the anatomy.

Yeah, I know, buy another pair, but that offends me as well, since these are brand new blue jeans that have promise to be good work pants for maybe a year. Maybe even more, since the have the gussetted crotch.

Fuck it. My best, laziest idea is just wear a belt like always and either wear an tucked shirt or, since I often prefer to tuck in my shirts, if some woman says something say, "Well, it's a whole thing...do you want to touch it and see?"

No. That's not going to get 'er done.

I specifically bought some hand needles of large size for some other repair uses, but they're still not going to get through this denim to make a strong-enough stitch.

Duck tape? Gorilla tape? No. While the pants fit about the waist, I'm still kind of beer-gutted to trust that.

Very frustrating.

It's a PITA to find sturdy pants that fit, and I really don't want to go through that again. And, although they weren't expensive, I'm frugal and would rather use the money for something else or whatever.

Registered
    Jul 2013

You can depress the e-brake "button" on the lever, but unless you want to lay serious rubber on the pavement, you just can't lift the brake lever all the way up.

That seems to be where severe brake leakage occurs, yes, even with the release button fully depressed.
    Actually, that's not true IME. It may have to do with the overall pressure of the system, but I've accelerated or at least kept constant speed with the e-brake fully engaged.

IME people behind you notice when they see your brake lights and no stoppage and slowing. I don't think they like it. At least they change lanes PDQ.

HOWEVER, I have to think that there are some deleterious effects on the braking system of one's "ride." Also, there's increased chance of failure.

So, children everywhere, just don't do like I do. Do like Robert Loggia does in Mulholland Dr. Much safer.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, I got the right answer for the zipper problem.

Just put a big strip of black Duck tape over the zipper.

Fuck it.

If it's a guy and they say something? Easy: "Why you looking at my crotch? What is this, Sodom or Gomorrah?"

If it's a girl: "Yeah, well, say what you want about men, but we know how to improvise!"

Done.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK, here's one that's always been bugging me and every time I've tried to look it up online, I've never found a real answer. And, I think I own all the main style guides for English usage: to my memory, nothing in those either.

Why is it that the word schism is pronounced "sssss-izm" (rhymes with jizzum, but with a soft 's' as the initial...sybillant, I guess).

At least when referring to the late unpleasantness, you know, Byzantium, Orthodox vs. Roman Catholic and all that. Whatever they call it, "The Great Schism" or whatever.

No, it doesn't bother me to hear the pronunciation "skizzum," it's not an abomination like saying "processeez" which is just a mistake and is wrong on every count, morally and linguistically.

I just want the truth. Just the facts. Ma'am.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Is this such a thing?

I'm pretty sure Nat___ie at work deliberately poised herself to enhance my view of her cleavage. I mean she knew where my vision was pointed before she and I encountered, and she likely knew that I wasn't apt to change my field of vision unless she said or did something (or anyone else) that needed my attention. I also know she knows I have poor eyesight and usually doen't wear glasses unless needed. No I wasn't ogling her, I was just distractedly looking at some unknown spot in the distance, and like a magician "forcing" someone to choose a card, all of a sudden, her...attributes...were right there.

Also, she'd just witnessed me loading a giant trailer attached to a truck with about twenty-six or twenty-eight pallets each weighing up to fifteen hundred pounds using a hand tool, and after earning my break being drenched in sweat, had passed in front of my car in the parking lot where I was sitting with the AC running and gave a slight, satisfied smile.

BUT, yes, in my experience, I'll answer my own question. Yes, this shouldn't have been a question, really. Yes, I have no reason to believe this woman is less aware of her own body than any other.

Whether it was a conscious gesture or not, that's not something I can answer.

Whatever it is, I think she's ready for action, and, unfortunately, my speed is a little bit slower. I'll get there, but my only physical ways of showing interest are, apparently, me sweating gallons of sweat while relentlessly pounding the inside of a semi-trailer.

Bah, she can wait, and she'll like it. Or not. Whatever. Nice jugs, though. Never noticed that, before.

Milky white, but with a pinkish hue, perhaps.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 30 Apr 2019 at 08:03 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I think the file can be closed for the term "schism" and the origins of its pronunciation. From wikipedia, for some reason Anglos started out spelling it "scism" or "scisme" and pronouncing it accordingly, apparently until some genius figured out that maybe the Gk. origins should be reflected (somewhat) in the spelling. The source is from some part of the American Heritage dictionary. No, I don't feel like reaching the six feet or so to the hardcover (mine's only the "College" version, dwarfed on its shelf by the OED microprint edition, so it may not be in my copy).

I suspect that all this was prior to the understanding of reconstructed Latin pronunciation, and so an Englishman would not have considered "skizm" as a proper pronunciation of "scism(e)." IOW, probably the same reason taxonomical "scientific" pronunciation of names is so fucked up. In addition to general chauvinism regarding linguistic matters among certain nations.

I still want to know if the actor Ray Wise is related to movie director Robert Wise, but it is probably not true: otherwise, I am sure the connection would have been documented or noted somewhere. I vote for coincidence.

Registered
    Jul 2013

WHY is Bud Lite and other light beers the most popular beers in the US?

I understand the appeal of something cold and relatively inoffensive — after all, I drink Pabst Blue Ribbon most days of the week, and if they didn't have it, something else like Miller High Life or Tecate or Hamm's or Rainier or whatever.

So, instead of having a regular beer, apparently most people choose the one that tastes about the same and has less alcohol.

And, no, I very much doubt it's only women who are driving these brands. Nor dainty little soyboys.

Registered
    Feb 2009

WHY is Bud Lite and other light beers the most popular beers in the US?

I understand the appeal of something cold and relatively inoffensive — after all, I drink Pabst Blue Ribbon most days of the week, and if they didn't have it, something else like Miller High Life or Tecate or Hamm's or Rainier or whatever.

So, instead of having a regular beer, apparently most people choose the one that tastes about the same and has less alcohol.

And, no, I very much doubt it's only women who are driving these brands. Nor dainty little soyboys.
    Actually the alcohol is about the same, it is the calories that are less.

I've only ever found 1 light beer I could really drink, Yuengling Lite is pretty tasty though not as tasty as Yuengling.

I don't drink a lot of beer at a sitting, most one a night or 3 tops if I'm at a bar. So I don't do light beer, I stick to the full taste and calories.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That may be true, although I'm seeing ranges of 4 to 4.2 % ABV compared to the standard 5% for "regular" (non-microbrew) beer.

I really always thought the only real way they could cut the amount of calories was through alcohol-reduction, but that is probably not the only tool in their arsenal.

Although, I'm enough of a rummy that I'd be apoplectic if I found my favorite wine (Franzia "Crisp White" in a 5L box) had a percent less than advertised.

Also, enough of a rummy that, not only do I have a hydrometer, but perhaps as a result, I'm far too lazy to bother testing each box, not to mention looking up the temperature conversions, not to mention taking the temperature of the wine, not to mention risking wasting any wine due to spillage, not to mention being likely to spill some wine while pouring it into the cylinder.

I really think I could be convinced to throw a pint glass across a crowded bar room if the beer didn't have the right amount of alcohol in it.

Hmmm.

I should really evaluate how strongly I feel about this, and why.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I had a milk stout last weekend that I didn't realize was a 10% ABV. It hit me pretty hard, especially as it was unexpected. Thankfully we were already planning to take a walk after lunch.

You got me curious, the Yuengling Light is actually only 3.8% instead of the 4.7% for the regular Yuengling Lager.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 11 May 2019 at 08:07 AM.

+ Reply to thread