+ Reply to thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions you need the answer to.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Wrong East Coast, buttfuck!

I do have a good question, though: WTF is wrong with septuagenarians? They always seem angry and spiteful, and, pretty often, insane. Like, loud, unpleasant, boorish people.

Sheesh, sorry their whole family is dead, but what ever happened to being cool?

ur cool spitz. u should move to new zealand, though.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I suppose there's a scientific answer to why people get so grumpy when they get old -- shrinking brain or something - but it's kinda depressing. Last conversation I ever had with my mother, she was snarky because my sister had told me Mom had been in the E.R. earlier in the week.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The four old people I know best, my parents and my in-laws, aren't getting grumpier, I'd say - they're just getting slower.

Registered
    Jul 2013

This is all depressing. I do know many people, probably through genetic lottery, remain as hard as ever (women included -- it's a state of mind!), just sad that people I see on the streets or at my condo clubhouse seem to hit the wall hard.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Here's one: is it correct for an English speaker to pronounce "sauna" as (roughly) "sownah" (no, I'm not doing the whole character map to IPA thing -- this is good enough)?

I was just down at the john at my clubhouse taking a leak and thought to myself -- hey! maybe i should have a sauna one day.

Here's another: is it even *possible* to enjoy a sauna without (i) being high as shit on weed and (ii) without some buddies who are also high as shit? that's just my only experience with them. It could be therapeutic, physically, but it seems weird to go into a small sauna without being both flying high and some company. What if somebody walks in and ur just sitting there, tending to the rocks? pretty weird, dude.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh yeah, I got one more. So, I was walking back home yesterday and on my path some old fart was throwing disc-shaped objects. Brightly-colored. Being a friendly guy, and he's a neighbor, I say as I walk by, "Getting ready for the ultimate frisbee tryouts?"

You know, just friendly, "Hey nice weather, finally!" type banter. Believe it or don't, I'm a nice guy IRL.

What does he say? With a grim, taut mouth? "These aren't frisbees." Point final.

To my credit, I didn't mutter "old turd" as I went on my way, just kept my mouth shut and continued on my path.

I only have two ideas:

(i) These were skeet disks which he was trying, for some damned reason, to learn to throw by hand
    (ii) He was some insane dog owner (against the CCR here) who had some fetish for trying to train dogs the hard way, by mastering the art of the throw

One more:

he could have just been some dickbag geezer who somehow thought calling all plastic flying disks "Frisbees" was an offense to all sensible, literate language.

WTF?

Registered
    Feb 2009

You would have thought he coulda at least said "Actually, these are [whatever]", woudn't you?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Actually, yeah. Obviously I'm not some hobo on a random street-corner. When a neighbor and presumably co-HOA member says something friendly, even if you are a total misanthrope, you just smile and nod.

That's the rules! Well, *my* rules. According to me.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I noticed Thursday afternoon (USA thanksgiving day) that a nice hole had developed in the shoulder (ETA it's really the elbow -- I get the shoulder patches because of birding and stuff, I guess) of this tweed coat I've become fixated on and have worn non-stop for a few months.

I asked my old man when i agreed to accompany him to pick up my uncle for "dinner" ""party"" (because "party" is not strong enough irony), he mumbled "maybe alcohol had something to do with that"

Stupid angry little man, obvious not, or I'd have remembered that -- I also do not believe alcohol destroys wool fibers in a sturdy weave, though it is a strong solvent.

So, no help from angry little man.

But u guys aren't angry -- ur mello! So apparently in addition to one day getting around to sewing on buttons on pants and jackets (years since been absent -- don't worry, I have a mound of stockpiled buttons or can just cannabalize from some other stuff in my closet).

So, QUESTION:

(i)can those antelope-suede patches be ironed on, or do I have to sew them by hand? my experience with hand-sewing through leather is (a) have a bunch of needles, because at least a few are going to break and (b) get used to it looking like shit, because it's difficult physically and takes a long time (also, while I can sew, I just do enough to make it sturdy and don't give a shit how it looks).

(ii) is this going to make me look like Donald Sutherland from *Animal House*?

(iii) this is only the right elbow -- incidentally, where I rest my elbow when reading. is this why they started doing the patches? or is tweed just prone to failure at critical points.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 29 Nov 2014 at 06:35 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Only question I can answer is (ii): Yes, yes it will.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, that's just not going to work for me. OTOH, I guess that's better than going around with a sweater and the bare ass hanging out, a la Suthsy in the same movie. Still, elbow patches are better than having a ripped jacket.

Maybe I'll just do the *one* elbow.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Here's one. *Why???!!!???* are there not

(a) standard VBB/HTML5/whatever codes for using UTF8 characters? I'm not talking about fancy type-nurd things, or even greek alphabet, just usual diacritics that every Euro-American uses every day, in every other word, by those who do not have a specialized keyboard.

(b) a standard mapping of dead keys for entering data into US keyboards?

This is exactly why LibreOffice will always be the loser, and why any Linux desktop environment is inferior to even a slick, commercial product like Apple's. Lack of attention to detail.

Nerds don't think about things people think about, like languages, or ergonomics.

And that's why there are losers in the world, and people who think screenwriting is an important part of film-making.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh yeah, and who started this meme that the "writer" of some movie or some TV show was an important contributor to the product? The internet, that's who. Because everyone can fantasize about putting those keys to work and devising some neat little ideas. However, these people ignore that at no point in the history of cinema has the writer ever been anything but the contributor of, at best, some little cute quips. The rest? The structure? We call those editors. The grand idea, the big picture? We call those producers. The dictatorial control over every frame committed to celluloid? We call those directors. Some differently-abled person who copies down stuff he or she heard at Joe's Tavern? We call those writers.

Fecking QED.

So, my question is, when did TV stop being about making a good picture, small scale, and start valorizing scum bug internet-douches?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Um... never?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Who serves pork chili on Friday instead of clam chowder? Who serves pork chili at all? How is pork chili even a thing?

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have no objection to pork chili; indeed, I have no objection to pork just-about-anything that isn't a dessert or beverage.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, TNP believes in the classic trinity of: you want to make a meat sauce? Cow, pig, and young cow. That's what you need, that's how it's done.

TNP ultimately made his or her peace with Italian-immigrants. And still makes fun of them, but admits they can cook a good food.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Here's a real question. And no, you jackasses, I am *not* trolling (besides, whom would I troll here, exactly?). So I read a few days ago some long thread at some nerd forum like slashdot or reddit or one of those about some lady who surreptitiously recorded the "attention" she got while just walking.

So this ties into the "how guillible are you" thread, but no shit! Yes, if you start talking up a woman on the street, no shit you're saying, "hey wanna bone?" I assumed everybody knew that. Apparently not.

OTOH what ever happened to just being a little bit street-smart? I know every time *I'm* walking down the street, my guard is up 1001% Of course, I maybe don't put myself out there as vulnerable, even though there's no doubt if some fuck wanted to mug the shit out of me, they could do it. I'm not that strong, compared to some gym rat.

Get tough, man. I'm tired of having to walk on eggshells riding an elevator late at night on campus, "excuse me, I'm sorry, I'll just push that button." WTH is wrong with people? Take a taxi if the streets are too rough.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Look, man, every single time I'm on the street I (a) expect to be mugged or (b) get some slickster trying to get a dollar out of me.

I'm so sorry if I don't see the difference between, were I a woman (a) some dude trying to pick me up or (b) at worst, some dude trying to rape the shit out of me. Obviously, there's an imbalanced power-relation (here as in all things), and the implicit threat of physical harm because of the former physical (in many cases) fact and the social structure. Still, stand tall. If you are a weak man, do the same thing -- carry a piece or some pepper spray, Or just walk like you own the street.

It's called life, man, and I've never even *heard* of some woman in a city who doesn't get harassed every day. AFAIK, that's just normal life. Sucks, I guess, but that *is* the way living in a city is. Sure, it does suck, but who the fuck cares, really? That's just part of living in a city.

So, my question is, is there really something that wrong with the way I think? From years of experience, I just think "hey, that's life, so watch your back." That's not a great way to go through life, being propositioned every second, I'm sure, but unless things escalate, that's just kind of the way things are.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 07 Dec 2014 at 02:25 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Get tough, man. I'm tired of having to walk on eggshells riding an elevator late at night on campus, "excuse me, I'm sorry, I'll just push that button." WTH is wrong with people? Take a taxi if the streets are too rough.
    Well, that sentiment is awful, and is poorly expressed. To the extent that it emboldens some MRA internurd to be like "yeah, my rights," then fuck them. However, I'm not sure anyone wants to live in a world where (a) women cower and (b) men sit down to piss
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 07 Dec 2014 at 05:25 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Here's one -- has anyone had a close personal special buddy say, upon responding to "hyeh, buddy, what tyime yew gawt?," responding, "19h30" or "20:10" heard their little buddy say, "chanshew jesh tell me wha time ishis?"

That's the way I have my phone and computer set up.

Are there really people who don't know how to tell time with the regular clock? Yeah, bud. It's got 24 hours in a day. Jeez. Some people are fecking stupid, man. Yes, this is my uncle I'm talking about. He may be a pretty good musician, but what kind of person can't just figure it out? He knows I'm not trying to razz him. I'm still his buddy, sort of, but what the fuck?

He acts like some girl who just got felt up on prom night.

Get in the car, Vincent.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmmm....I still haven't gotten used to giving time in military time, so no, that hasn't happened to me yet. I bet it will come though. And I'm OK with it. There's a reason why serous people like the military and cops use 24 hour time.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I see police reports now and then that use military time, and we use it in the Star Trek RPG we have going here. Otherwise, in everyday life, I'm accustomed to saying "four this afternoon" or "15 minutes to midnight." I have to really stop and think if someone says "1600 hours" or "2345 hours."

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Hmmm....I still haven't gotten used to giving time in military time, so no, that hasn't happened to me yet. I bet it will come though. And I'm OK with it. There's a reason why serous people like the military and cops use 24 hour time.
    Hey, don't forget the French!

And the Postal Service timeclocks!

Yeah, I just like it because (all my phone/computer clocks are set up that way) and I dislike saying abbreviations, such as AM, PM.

No, I'm not military, but I also spell my name in the NATO phonetic alphabet when asked to over the phone. THAT'S the one that trips people up. "Hunh? 'A' isn't for 'apple' and 'B' isn't as in 'boy'"? Whiskey tango foxtrot, bravo yankee, yankee oscar uniform papa romeo echo tango echo november india oscar uniform sierra tango whiskey india tanga. bravo yankee, charlie uniform november tango

I think about ten years ago, I was just like, fuck it, I'ma learn that shit. Not a pilot, either.

Cops use something different thought. So, why is that? Just use the regular standard! (Still on the fence about 'zulu' vs 'zebra,' but there's no 'z' in my name, so don't care.) I think it's officially 'zebra'
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 08 Dec 2014 at 02:00 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Unlikely to ever get pulled over for field sobriety while operating a vehicle, since I despise driving (or riding a bicycle), (but, yes, I can do the alphabet backwards in NATO pretty fast -- probably piss them off, which is not good), but I did do once to a sheriff, "last name?" so i spelled it out phonetically, without doing the "E as in Echo"..."just "lima echo tango....etc". He must have been ex-enlisted, because he didn't drop a beat. Plus, he probably thought I'd served, which, I find is a plus. All about making connections. But, then, I wasn't in trouble, just having a conversation, where I allegedly used fighting words in private against a bellicose individual.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 08 Dec 2014 at 02:10 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

oscar uniform romeo november echo uniform xray

Yeah, whatever. I just like to use FB these days. Own private blog. still need to get off my ass and do a real site, but so lazy.......

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    I see police reports now and then that use military time, and we use it in the Star Trek RPG we have going here. Otherwise, in everyday life, I'm accustomed to saying "four this afternoon" or "15 minutes to midnight." I have to really stop and think if someone says "1600 hours" or "2345 hours."
    We don't use military time in speech but all bus time tables, flights etc are in it and most phones/clocks etc then to be calibrated to it too.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks. Welcome back, TOAG!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hey speaking of....nothing, really, but what do you think is a good size (these are US sizes, natch) for a men's raincoat (designed to be worn over a sport jacket or a suit). Sort of like a trench coat, but without all that belt an epaulets and double-breasted mishegas. Just a regular raincoat I can wear over a jacket.

None of my coats have sizes in a little tag in them -- or I couldn't find them.

I did some checking out a few men's stores the other day and all the sales people were like .... "let's try a 40L" (the "L" means "long" -- I have very long arms, like a gorilla).

They didn't have anything I liked, or the one nice article was like $400 USD, which is ridiculous, to me, especially given the state of the rest of my wardrobe.

So, like 6'3", 220 lbs, 36/37 length sleeves, and typical fat-guy muscles (one of which group of said are shoulders are pretty big, I guess).

So I finally figured, a 42L 3/4 length raincoat would be good enough.

Even if it's marginal in tightness on the shoulders, with a coat on underneath, I guess it's worth it to not have some balloon-effect around the midriff, as is often the case with L/XL sizes to try to get the right sleeve length.

this I pulled trigger on -- even though I think the picture looks odd, and I wanted tan/khaki color, I figure taking the liner out will make the collar look regular, and I wouldn't wear the liner anyway.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 05 Jan 2015 at 04:02 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right, I have a real weird question. I think I might have straight-up hallucinated receiving a copy of Ernest Davis's *Representations of Commonsense Knowledge* in the mail, doing something with it, and misplacing it. It's a very flawed, in some cases merely incomplete, in other cases wrong, AI textbook I ordered from Amazon because a copy was like $0.99 and I wanted to not have to photocopy the bibliography and a few other things and bother filing it.

I'm going to prefer to believe this never happened -- I'm not a complete loon or nutter, but most of my nocturnal dreams are vivid representations of ordinary things, mostly about books and stuff, in great detail and of mundane quality. Anyone can relate?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, I can relate. I'm pretty much in touch with reality, but there's the odd thing in my memory I can't be totally sure wasn't a dream or a hallucination.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Good to know.

Problem solved -- book arrived unmolested Saturday. In a complete different kind of envelope than the one I vividly "remember."

Damnedest thing. Oh well, it happens. What a random thing to vividly dream, though, with no apparent in-dream context.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right I have a good question.

What *is* a better way to call someone a "retard"? I know, mongoloid, moron, dipshit, and all that, and I am not willing to disparage those who, through no fault of their own, developed some brain damage.

Still, sometimes a spade is a spade, and golldarnit I'm seeing a lot of it. And somehow "fucknut" or "dickbag" or "snatchn-word" are just not doing it.

So, what, day-jobs? Not in this lifetime.

And I'll spare u the time, none of this "forsooth mine faire ladie has begotten her kine on crabs" -- leave that fairy tale shit alone.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, on the message board we seceded from, almost six years ago, "asshat" was popular.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm fond of "pinhead" and "idjit."

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, if the shoe fits. "Mongo scrub" could also be good. I still see nothing wrong with saying "little faggot retard" IRL, recognizing it unfairly pejoritizes underprivileged groups.

I have no idea why some adult caregivers would take a pack of children -- everyone knows if you get more than handful together you have an insane mob of retardeds on your hands --to a public place, besides a designated "pack of child" nest. You don't take your dog to a public place, after all: you take it to a dog-park.

Children should be hand-fed, curbed, and not let loose to play in a whole pile of them.

And also, fuck off humans who think children should be exposed to more carcinogens than necessary or be introduced to adult environments before they have maturity. It makes everyone uncomfortable. Not my fault North American swineholes, besides hobos, don't enjoy the majesty of the cities, the way parks in adult environments in western Europe and NYC are used, by all classes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I'm definitely in favor of keeping kids away from secondhand smoke.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Actually I agree. Not because think they are going to drop dead zomg immediately, but the same reason you don't let them play in traffic or fetch candy from that guy who lives by the river.

Just common-sense -- presuming you like your kids, don't put them in unnecessary peril.

Or, educate them before you let them run around in the mean streets. Nothing wrong with that, either, I guess, but it's all about what kind of people ur raising.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Or the clown who dwells in the sewers, who also has a bunch of tattoos.

New question: I asked a RL bud to join up here, with full anonymity, and he ended up like "eh, mellophant isn't for me." WTF? I just wanted someone new here to play with, and I said the few regulars r pretty cool and the board isn't about anything, just playing around.

And then I got roped into a text chate about Syriza. and that tool Zizek (sc the accents). About which you can probably imagine my juvenile epithets. Eh.

Anyway wtf!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Also new question: what the hell is wrong with, when I'm at my clubhouse at 21nn at the night and hearing some bullshit noises in the bushes, muttering to myself out-loud "shut the fuck up you fucking retarded sack of shit?" Normal people come in through the fucking doors, and use the gym or or the whatever. If they don't like my language, then fuck them.

Wasn't talking to them anyway. Idiot renters. Fuck them.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm trying to figure out the lay-out of your clubhouse, and am not quite getting it. Although I'm kinda wishing I had a clubhouse, albeit one without the stress that seems to come with yours.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, Jizzelbin seems to be surrounded by a battalion of people whose only purpose in life is to actively annoy him.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, I don't know where he lives, but I've sure lived in places where it seemed like that was the case. They say that the mind is its own place, and can make a Heaven of Hell and a Hell of Heaven, but I don't believe it. Some places just suck.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Well, I don't know where he lives, but I've sure lived in places where it seemed like that was the case. They say that the mind is its own place, and can make a Heaven of Hell and a Hell of Heaven, but I don't believe it. Some places just suck.
    Thanks for saying that. I had an epiphany while having a catnap this early evening, that basically I need to lighten up. Basically just calm the fuck down and maybe all these perceived ills will become things I can put in my two categories (viz., "my problem" and "not my problem"). I suppose everything has a way of becoming "my problem" when it annoys one. I think deep breathing, more exercise, more sleep, less alcohol, less tobacco.

Yeah, it's just the standard condo common-area -- three- or four-hundred individual units over....I don't know, maybe 80 acres, and up by the office manager there's a pretty nice wifi, pool, tennis courts, small gym, sauna, hot-tub. Nothing special, but sometimes people who get to me just get obnoxious. What if you had an internet forum and stormfront came in being all buttholes? Same thing.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Actually I do appreciate both you talking about me. (Not a joke! Sometimes it's nice to just know some people are listening. Yeah, corny as hell, but whatever). Sometimes people get on your nerves, and you forget to take a few minutes for yourself to chill out. Not being a hippie I don't smoke weed or listen to Charles Mingus or collect pets, so I only have myself and not any hobbies. I take the stuff I do not has hobbies but as vocations, so unlike people who have a bunch of hobbies, I just have (a) drinking beer (b) watching a small handful of TV shows (c) chatting online about nothing. Trust me, playing piano or organ is not relaxing -- it's a challenge. Reading through some uncharted territory from a bibliography is not "fun."

Registered
    Jul 2013

I went ahead and bought some "boots" about three hours ago or so. these. So, whatever. Closest place I couldn't find that wasn't in a mall, and even though the clerk was a total cunt, i was like "fine, just get me something that fit -- I don't give a shit. i'm not going to wear sneakers with a sportcoat anymore. so, just make it work!"

you know what, i like these. dress boots, brown will work with any color other than black,

fuck it, i like this shit.

eta yes I know not real good looking, but otoh (a) i can walk in them and (b) they don't look ridiculous in business-casual
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 03 Feb 2015 at 07:43 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

So QOTD should I have gone black? The problem is I already have black dress boots and (a) they need to be polished/shined and (b) don't work with lighter-colored pants.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ehh, those look fine, especially since you already have a black pair. Keeping your feet warm is the important thing.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I was talking about fashion asshat

Registered
    Feb 2009

So was I, jerkwad, I said they looked fine, didn't I, and now you've got a black pair and a brown pair, so you can mix and match.

+ Reply to thread