+ Reply to thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19

Thread: Questions you need the answer to.

Registered
    Jul 2013

well, I appreciate the advice.

Yes, I happen to agree with you.

It gets to be a multivariate computation — such as, working within a budget, as probably most households do, I have to compare against other purchases.

I think I may end up returning them today for something I'm a little happier with.

The "slate gray" (? I guess that's a color) doesn't really suit me for shorts.

And also, I don't really like wearing shorts around town/work — strictly for at home, for me.

No, I don't know why.

It's complicated.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't think this merits a whole thread, but I was just remembering a short conversation IRL a while ago.

This should probably be a poll or something, but unlike that other board, we're mostly (?) regular people here.

So, QUESTION: how much do you actually use calculus (that's a broad term, but let's say from the basics through differential equations, and stop at analysis of C or R)?

If you'd asked me before I was twenty-five or so, I'd have said, "Fuck you, nerd-head!" But as tools and techniques become more mainstreamed and require more mental computation (just like using a slide rule), I find optimization, and even household problems like electrical and plumbing issues, it's an indispensable tool.

At least the basic concepts: many computations involving functions over R are tractable, and nobody does it by hand like in school.

As an aside, I think high schools or whatever they're called in your countries should collapse trig/"pre-calc"/first-two-trimesters of Calc into a single year-long unit. None of it makes sense, at least for me, unless you see the big picture.

Registered
    Jul 2013

ALSO!!!!! Why are "people" calling various machine learning techniques, or minor fun toys like stuff in video games "Artificial Intelligence."

These are tiny parts of the broader field.

I'm going to shit the next time somebody says "AI" when they're talking about some toy cars or some fucktard robots.

Fucking idiots.

ETA OK, so the equivalent is like, somebody saying "biology" when what they mean is some tranny growing a dick out of their forehead. Modest gains in unimportant, but related areas.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 29 Sep 2018 at 03:53 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

QUESTION: I tend to, when I smile, involve the eyes in the whole thing.

Not something I think about, but as one ex-girlfriend said, "You smile with your eyes!" (She wasn't trying to flatter me, probably, since we'd been together at least a few months).

Oh, so my question is, how can one one actually (i) learn to "wink" with one eye (ii) is this just a salesman trick?

I've only known one of my mother's cousins to be able to do this, and it's extremely effective.

Don't want to sound like a dick, but it's pretty effective.

Can't be done with the mirror, though.

So, back to the question: has anyone here mastered the subtle wink of one eye?

I think it's a very effective technique, but I only have two eye "shapes": viz., "paying close attention" and "scrutinizing."

Registered
    Feb 2009

I can wink with one eye, but I don't do it much. I don't think it really works that well anymore.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Lucille Bluth!

No, I think the idea is it's not supposed to "work," it's just some kind of trick to play on other people.

Generate empathy and such.

Actually, QUESTION: Such tricks are pretty much the same as when we "mirror" others' behaviors or patterns of speech. Sort of let "them" suspect we're all on the same team. Yes?

And adjunct question: meh, not really anything wrong with that.

Registered
    Jul 2013

UNRELATED QUESTION SIR!!!

I've come to think that, even though I'm not in a leadership position now, the best way to get best results is look a person straight in the eye and give a firm handshake.

Nothing more than that is needed, except a good sense of humor, and lead with a decent bit of camaraderie.

ETA and the "edit" was for the "camaraderie" bit. Honesty. Seriously, they should teach this shit in schools and stuff.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 06 Oct 2018 at 01:45 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Is there no more finger-banging Mary Jane Rottencrotch, through her purty pink panties?

Is this true there is no more of that?

That's really important to know.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Here's one: I've noticed over the past year or so that I don't strictly need to shave if I miss a day. I mean, I don't look like a street urchin if I decide not to shave after a 24-hour period.

Of course, I do the clean-shaven thing, but what is that?

Maybe poor lighting in my bathroom, but while I still get the Nixon look after more than, say, 36 hours without shaving.

Low-"T"?

And an unrelated observation, since working with my hands in rougher environments, my fingernails grow like crazy.

I theorize that my musculature is sapping the facial-hair-growth energy and putting it into different anatomical places.

However, I do not think hormones work like that. Or I suspect not.

The follicles are still there and productive — I could certainly grow a beard (yet again) if I wanted to, based on observation of succession of days off (perhaps even a long weekend) but I prefer not to these days.

Gradual decay of testosterone or other androgens? Perhaps.

Registered
    Jul 2013

What is the best (dark-chocolate/khaki)-colored (well, something like that) pair of pants with a few extra pockets that could double with a navy or black sportcoat, in addition to doing some light duty? I.e., that doesn't look like "army man/tough guy" cargo pants, but can still have at least one extra pocket?

I've been scouring Amazon, but it's like drinking through a firehose.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Don't know, but check out Orvis. They often have pretty good manly stuff.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right I will. I'm not looking for "manly" stuff, just a good pair of khakis. Surprisingly hard to find, when one doesn't have a personal shopper or just get lucky.

Orvis...........what's that name........yeah, the guy in the pool hall from The Color of Money.

Good name, I guess.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And, yes, the extra pocket is for some pages of printed music/text or a small metronome, or maybe a pipe in a small tobacco pouch.

No, I'm not being coy about "tobacco pipe": that's really what it is and is used for. Normally that's a sportcoat's right-hand pocket, but sometimes you have to forgo that luxury.

Because apparently people don't wear sportcoats regularly in NA unless they're fancy, because people are idiots.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Question: if one's employer screws up on recording hours worked (obviously, for hourly workers), one's (US) State Attorney General would probably be interested to know.

Moreso if one's state AG is not Eliot Spitzer (God, I hated that guy when he was NYS AG, even before the whole scandal and stuff — he should never have been "promoted" or "elected" to governor).

Registered
    Jul 2013

Do you think that this girl I was somewhat interested in — mind you, just first as a friend. I'm not a complete sex fiend, although I do think she has the appropriate parts.

Anyway.

I wonder if she thinks that me picking up extra shifts that she works at (used to be my old shift), what, she thinks I'm stalking her or something?

True, I like being around her, generally, but the same is true for a number of other people on that shift.

Mainly, they needed extra help during that hour, so I volunteered to pick up an extra fifty bucks or whatever.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Do you think that this girl I was somewhat interested in — mind you, just first as a friend. I'm not a complete sex fiend, although I do think she has the appropriate parts.

Anyway.

I wonder if she thinks that me picking up extra shifts that she works at (used to be my old shift), what, she thinks I'm stalking her or something?

True, I like being around her, generally, but the same is true for a number of other people on that shift.

Mainly, they needed extra help during that hour, so I volunteered to pick up an extra fifty bucks or whatever.
    Not really enough information, but picking up overtime shouldn't be looked at as stalking.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Not really enough information, but picking up overtime shouldn't be looked at as stalking.
    I quite agree, good chap. I shall not lose my rag about it.

However, I observe her cool behavior towards me during those several overtime periods, as it were, to be uncharacteristic, and, were I a man of suspicious nature, I should have taken the slightest bit of concern.

That is well, good sir: your counsel is taken and I shall not concern myself with these peasant girls of poor breeding any longer.

Good day.

+ Reply to thread