+ Reply to thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: Questions you need the answer to.

Registered
    Jul 2013

It's been a few years since I had some cards (as in, personal "business cards") printed up.

QUESTION: I prefer a simpler design, just because I'm not good at visual stuff. But I think a subtle visual bit of "flair" IME adds a bit. Do you people think it's worth paying fifty or a hundred bucks to some guy or girl to make up a subtle design?

Yeah, I know how to do it in GIMP or one of the Adobe software products, it just would take me a hundred hours to design, and I need something more current-looking than just an old-style "business card" thing with name, contact, and all that.

And, no, I don't mean some cheesy card with piano keys printed on the side (I haven't seen a single music job in my town recently that will even pay gas money for the band, much less the labor for moving equipment), just a generic design.

Recs?

Registered
    Jul 2013

It's been a few years since I had some cards (as in, personal "business cards") printed up.

QUESTION: I prefer a simpler design, just because I'm not good at visual stuff. But I think a subtle visual bit of "flair" IME adds a bit. Do you people think it's worth paying fifty or a hundred bucks to some guy or girl to make up a subtle design?

Yeah, I know how to do it in GIMP or one of the Adobe software products, it just would take me a hundred hours to design, and I need something more current-looking than just an old-style "business card" thing with name, contact, and all that.

And, no, I don't mean some cheesy card with piano keys printed on the side (I haven't seen a single music job in my town recently that will even pay gas money for the band, much less the labor for moving equipment), just a generic design.

Recs?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    QUESTION

Is this not one of the highest purposes of a high-lumen tactical LED flashlight?

Some jackass is riding your ass on the highway, so you just click it on and point it straight back.

On the narrowest possible beam.

And hope they die in a miserable fashion.

I think there's articulable plausible deniability.

ANOTHER QUESTION

Is this normal for automatic tranny cars? Everytime I try to do a "brake check" (lift up the E-brake with the button depressed), some leakage occurs and my car actually slows down a bit.

Yes, I'm aware that's horribly unsafe, even on a stick, because of possible mechanical irregularities.

But the only other auto-transmsissions I've driven have had the e-brake as a pedal IIRC -- this one is a regular standard-style lever at your right hand.

Ad (i) this is not correct. There is some significant diffusion of light. Put it down to the curved rear windows and windshields. The optics will not achieve the result desired. ETA Probably annoy the offender, but if they are reasonably competent at operating heavy machinery, it's not worth the effort of raising your hand to employ the flashlight.

Ad (ii) no, the E-brake on any auto-tranny is not going to work like on a standard transmission car. Confirmed. Why? I'm not sure, but it just doesn't work like that. Can you do a "J-turn" in a Ness-style car? Sure, why not. But, IME, you can't "brake-check" a tailgater in an auto transmission. Just my experience.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 20 Jul 2018 at 07:53 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

HOW would I go about trying to create a collective-bargaining corporation, i.e., a union?

I think a lot of workers are getting screwed — not in my particular unit of employment — but, still, solidarity for others who aren't as lucky at the same company.

I think the best way is to ally oneself with an existing union-corporation with collective bargaining power.

It's a problem, though — my particular company has adapted itself to dealing with rapid turnover, so I suspect they'd just as soon say "go screw" and get some rummies off the street.

Not real strategy masters, my company. They just go for bulk. Good for them, bad for workers.

ETA Actually, it is bad for the company. Their pandering to rules-disobeying contract drivers within their distribution centers causes many hundreds of person-hours to be lost every hour. The contract-delivery is fine with me, but it's almost as though nobody considered the consequences.

Rule concluded: don't buy Amazon stock. They have severe difficulties, and labor is the least of it. They don't have the operations people trained in basic algorithm analysis, or even just advanced-UG math: just soft-skilled grocery-store clerk/administators. Not a good buy, assuming one were stupid enough to directly trade hard stock.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 21 Jul 2018 at 10:19 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

WHY is it that my Android-based phone overrides, at points I can't predict, settings like "Volume == SILENT."

Very strange.

Yeah, yeah, I know Android is always trying to phone home to the mothership, for updates, despite my instructions, but I cannot understand the pattern wherein the alerts (Gmail, texts, etc.) suddenly become amplified, when the instruction has been given to silence (or, apparently, "silence") the device.

A tentative guess is that ambient humidity affects the touch screen in unpredictable ways (certainly true, as anyone who's carried such a device in a sweat-soaked pocket will verify).

However, that's not enough.

Although it does remind me how good an idea it was to ditch the iPhone — at least with Android there's the illusion of control. But it is an apparent fiction. An illusion.

Registered
    Sep 2009

HOW would I go about trying to create a collective-bargaining corporation, i.e., a union?....
    Start here, or contact an existing union in your field of work: https://www.nlrb.gov/rights-we-prote...ght-form-union

Registered
    Jul 2013

Thanks for the above, EH. Yeah, I think the only way to go is to form a formal alliance with an existing union. The nice thing is that these days you don't have to go around pasting shit to telephone poles or passing leaflets or clipboard-mounted faldarol around. OTOH, defective anti-social nerds like Bezos or Musk can easily discover "subversive" "red" activity, should they want to. Actually what I struck-through is wrong, I believe. The only way is the old-fashioned petitioning of employees, with pen and paper, AFAICT. That's good, because social media is a terribly "sticky" way of associating people to one cause or another. I'd never sign anything electronically on FB or whatever, and I'd suppose anyone reasonable would do the same. Pen and paper.

NEW question. You know, this wasn't answered in the usual encylopedić of insects.

I wonder if bedbugs preferentially bite your dick when you get a hard on while asleep.

You'd think they would. And yet it's not been the case for me (yet).

Sleep well!

ETA Also good question for ladies to ask themselves! Sleep tight, sweethearts!
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 29 Jul 2018 at 11:31 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

ETA Also good question for ladies to ask themselves! Sleep tight, sweethearts!
    Holy shit.

That might be the worst thing I've ever said or thought.

Because, you know, blood flow.

Shit.

That is a horrible thought.

No wonder women tend to be fastidious about keeping house.

Cause there are goddamned bugs who want to crawl up their snappers!

Actually, IIRC, Camille Paglia said something similar about the desires of women to keep stray matter from entering their wombs. Paglia's a nut, but she's very ... fluent, I would say. At some things.

No, that's the worst thing I've ever said; and yet, it has some explanatory power.

ETA To get that horrifying image of bugs eating your woman from the inside out out of everyone's head, I've concluded that if I have to go out in this "job," I'm going full-on Eugene Debs. At least that's something, and this isn't a real job. This will be like a new hobby for me. Circulating discrete 3x5 cards, collecting them, and trying to reach >30% support. I suspect I'd have to go all Boss Tweed and ply my coworkers with booze or something, but it's possible. I'll get fired, 100%, but at least it won't be for talking lewdly about yoga pants and such on the job.

EETA Ah. I can print on index cards from home, and provide a convenient place for signatures and printed names. I don't think the size of the workforce is available to me, though. I don't think signed approvals from one single distribution center are sufficient for a union, since the company itself is rather large. I'm certainly not going to travel to all the locations within my metropolitan area, much less try to cover a larger area.

Well, it was a good idea, but I don't think the geographical spread allows for even a reasonable attempt.

Oh well.

I'm still going to start "sand-bagging" or working less-intensely during the shifts.

Better for productivity, morale, and self-preservation. I'm tired of being known as "that sweaty guy who curses a lot." Fuck that.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 30 Jul 2018 at 09:24 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Why would a woman < 5'5" wear shoes without the typical "boot-athletic-style" shoes, especially in a warehouse?

IME wearing flat-soled shoes is painful, after walking more than a few miles.

Does she want to appear short, and just accepts the pain? She's not that short, just like regular woman-sized short. And maybe there's some fashion thing or something. She's kind of got the punk-rock thing going on. Maybe she's trying to do a "lady Ramone" kind of thing.

Or perhaps she has some great insole inserts.

I should probably ask her, but she's not all that socially accessible, except when she seeks me out, I presume, because of my generous and warm vibe.

Oh, let's face it. She wants me. Obviously.

Registered
    Jul 2013

What would you do if an online correspondent whom one believed to be a female college student turned out to not belong to one's cohort of peers in age, roughly?

I'd be extremely cautious.

As in Bourbaki "dangerous bend" cautious. As in Dijkstra, "GOTO Considered Harmful" cautious.

In fact, I'd be changing my trousers from shorts to khaki pants, right now.

I'd also be grateful that narrative fiction, after the Woolsey/Ulysses case, is granted a fair amount of clemency.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, this is good, I guess. I can't work six days a week: it's really messing me up not having two days to just not do any physical labor, and allow the muscle tissues time to heal.

What is the deal with observing, as I did yesterday morning, the blue coloration (I forgot if those are veins or arteries, or what color blood turns when it's oxygenated) through the skin of the chest just above the heart. Not healthy, in fact, probably on my way to a cardiac event if I don't modify my intense habits at work, as well as improving my diet.

I'm in to see my regular GP in a few weeks, but I suspect my blood pressure is going to bury the needle. Well, at least we'll have something to talk about. And I can amuse him by showing him the odd callouses the first knuckles of both hands — that's not a concern, but he'd probably find it amusing, as a man of science and curiosities.

I think if I can just abstain from alcohol for a few days prior, a lot of water weight is going to disappear, so at least I'll get a good reading from the balance (which I suspect is not calibrated perfectly, from past experience, but I neither have a working scale at home nor a blood-pressure device, nor even a thermometer to check my body temperature; I do have a glucose meter, but I think my test strips are fouled, so that's no good either. No, I'm not diabetic or even close, but I find it's a good thing to track when calibrating one's diet).

Registered
    Jul 2013

But, IME, you can't "brake-check" a tailgater in an auto transmission. Just my experience.
    I emend this statement: not exactly true.

You can depress the e-brake "button" on the lever, but unless you want to lay serious rubber on the pavement, you just can't lift the brake lever all the way up.

That seems to be where severe brake leakage occurs, yes, even with the release button fully depressed.

It's hard for me to check just by myself exactly when the brake lights come on, but I find a partial (I don't remember the rotational omega-notation from physics to measure rotational force [aka "torque," sort of] but maybe 60-70% from "flat" to "fully engaged") engagement does not cause stoppage or even slowage of the vehicle.

Still a terrible practice, but it seems to be somewhat effective against tailgaters on a much-abused major interstate highway (not a freeway, just a pretty major highway in my town).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 02 Aug 2018 at 07:23 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

HOW TO MAKE AN ARITHMETIC MEAN WHEN NOTHING IS KNOWN

I think I'm going to start using my chronometer to measure how many person-seconds are lost each time one of the "Operations" "people" makes one of their usual thrice-hourly mistakes at coordinating contractor-drivers.

Obviously, I'll have to make a meticulous record using pencil and paper.

That's easy enough.

And record all extraordinary incidents, to the best of my purview.

HOWEVER, without access to the raw bulk numbers, my observations can, at best, be of a hobbyist-level of interest.

And, that's not a hobby I'd care to take up.

In addition, without an appropriately simplified recording scheme, any values I record will affect any numbers I record.

CHECK ME IF I'M WRONG, but aren't there supposed to be people who have high-school-level arithmetic "skills" at a supposedly "high-tech" company?

NO. If there are such people, they forgot how to read and write at Hamburger U. or wherever the Amazon Operations "elite team" came from. They probably are good at something, like coaching Warner Football or cleaning up spills, but I haven't seen it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I think I'm not being unreasonable in being extremely displeased by this regular fixture at my usual after-work watering hole.

I call him "Crazy Larry," but that's an insult to the equally-uncool Peter Fonda.

WTF, dude? You're on the wrong side of fifty, you have a stupid Rip Van Winkel beard, and you're fucking loud. And yet, you're what, like best pals with every bartender there? Obviously insane or demented, so you're not the manager. Head custodian? If so, STFU. Friends with the owners, I guess, is the reason he's tolerated.

Which wouldn't be a problem, except he fucking dares to talk to me in a disrespectful tone.

And I'm there, like, thirty minutes or forty-five most days.

I believe I should kick his ass the next time he opens his stupid mouth.

And he's a shitty pool player who thinks eight-ball with the stupid made-up rules is the end. F____t.

Q: Should I kick his ass?

ALL RIGHT, HERE'S A REAL QUESTION

I find it amazing, illogical, unproductive, and worthy of rebellion that a "management" team from Hamburger U. aka Amazon treats a fifteen-minute break for employees as a perk or a reward, rather than a tool for resource management, or, perhaps more importantly a safety issue, when employees are required to work in an otherwise well-regulated environment which nonetheless has all the hazards and requirements of attention to detail of similar environments.

Therefore, I conclude that the correct procedure is to work no quicker than is required in that to ensure no accumulated fatigue or sweat is expended, in order that the hazards be mitigated.

I am correct.

Do you agree?

Also the manager is fat, half-breed dyke
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 10 Aug 2018 at 09:55 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

ALSO:

Why doesn't "management" just use the data from the external door RFID scans to ensure some teenage rascals don't "steal" an extra two minutes or whatever of "break time"?

AND:

Why is the "company clock" keyed to what seems to be a manually-set seed time, rather than a standard NTS calibrated to a similar server used by the timeclocks? The obvious correction when some Hamburger U graduate points out the time to make a polite correction; however, this is clearly a part of the design made by Mayor McCheese, or whatever fuckstain came out of Bezos's shit-stained dick.

AND:

Why am I bothered so much?

Well, I can answer that one: it's stupid, manipulative, cowardly, and should be punished.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 10 Aug 2018 at 11:45 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO ENCODE by writing in Sharpie on the back of my safety vest:

"Natasha is and has only ass-baby."

I guess UTF-8 or ASCII, printed left to right.

Probably in hexadecimal, because nobody likes reading binary.

I suppose I could just do in attic Greek, and find some way of saying "Natasha."

No. Pretend each letter of ASCII is eight bits (it's really seven, but that doesn't matter), then encode in hexadecimal.

At least people who notice it will be able to understand, probably after looking up the values in a table.

It'll be a long sentence of hex digits, though.

But I think it's worth it.

Much better than scrawling in the men's room "Natasha sucks Mickey Rourke's semen off truck stop heads' floors."

ETA Oh yes, I should also add, if there's room, "And Denise sucks the fetuses out of normal, non-grotesque women."

OK, fine, I'll put it in French, so the n00bs don't crack my code too easily. But still hexadecimal-encoded ASCII or UTF-8 (haven't decided yet).

That's my plan for today.

EETA Fuck UTF-8. ASCII is fine.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 11 Aug 2018 at 03:20 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

BEDBUG Q

I think, since they are apparently ineradicable, the best, most practical solution, is to buy one of those purpose-built mattress covers, and put back my bed and box "spring" back up on a Hollywood-style frame, and forget about it. They can probably climb their disgusting little selves up the legs up the frame, but perhaps some kind of arrangement with some kind of metal cups underneath each "leg" of the bed, perhaps filled with liquid of some kind. I don't know, a small amount of bleach or pesticide of some kind.

Like little "moats" filled with hazardous (to bedbugs) liquid.

At least then one has done what one can. It's out of the question to remove all other items from my bedroom and do a thorough, wall-to-wall vacuuming.

Quote Originally posted by JT
    Probably in hexadecimal, because nobody likes reading binary.
    Yes, well, computers aren't people, not even robot machines. That's why one uses base-16 (hex) generally, except when needed to "go deep."
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 12 Aug 2018 at 03:48 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

some kind of metal cups underneath each "leg" of the bed, perhaps filled with liquid of some kind. I don't know, a small amount of bleach or pesticide of some kind.

Like little "moats" filled with hazardous (to bedbugs) liquid.
    Of course not bleach. Because of exposure to light, and, I can't remember the formula, but it basically turns into salt water after a short while.

A Borax solution is a thought, but there's so much crap information on the web about bedbugs. I doubt that would do much. It might slow them down, but I have doubts that Borax is such a miracle "bug cure"

I conclude: pools of human blood within each "cup."

Or, possible simply greasing the poles of each bed post such that the beasts find it impossible to climb.

Yes, that is the only "pole greasing" I shall allow in my bedroom. Or, rather, that seems to be the case.

/////////////

ETA That isn't such a bad idea.

You know how people trap yellowjacket wasps with a kind of sugar water.

Maybe human blood traps could work.

I mean, I don't think more than a few hundred mature bedbugs are likely.

And rinse and repeat for the instars.

I don't think that's such a crazy idea.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 13 Aug 2018 at 07:43 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

QUESTION

Is it possible to buy sealed bags of human blood, for whatever reason?

Failing that, is there a good, safe way to draw at least a pint of one's own blood?

You can understand I'm less than sanguine about the second option — doesn't seem the kind of thing you want to do at home.

ETA OK, acquire a menstruating woman, and have her sit on a bucket for a few days. She'd have to be a good woman to do that, though.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; Today at 05:34 AM.

+ Reply to thread