+ Reply to thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

Thread: Questions you need the answer to.

Registered
    Jul 2013

CAR QUESTION

I've been driving both standard and automatics pretty much a long fucking time.

To descend....vertically, maybe 300m...down to my place -- the speed limit is 15mph (it's technically a public street, but nobody drives down it unless they're condo communitarians. But I cannot have people driving like .... 99% of jackasses ... where people have the RIGHT to walk. Car drivers don't have the right -- that's a privilege.

For this automatic, I usually just wind it down to 1st gear, which puts me at about 15 mph.

You know, just engine braking, like you'd do on any kind of transmission.

Now, I know how to replace pads and rotors, and these are a disc brakes, all four wheels -- not my favorite way to spend an afternoon.

However, I don't have the tools or the knowledge to deal with a faulty auto transm.

Thoughts? The RPMs do get up there when engine braking for the .... total distance...I don't know, maybe 600m.

However, IMHO that's what the transm is designed for.

I know FO SHO that I'll wear out my pads, and possibly the rotors will get grooved, braking, which is why I minimize unnnecessary braking even on regular road/highways (plus, it's annoying people slamming on their brakes when they should have been looking ahead and letting momentum take control).

However, I can't afford a tranny rebuild (you can still say that, right?).

So, is my way good or defective?

ETA and no I don't slam it into 1st from 30 mph -- I try to match the speed to the gears. I'm not a complete...............numbnuts.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Actually, that's kind of a good secondary question on the same point:

I wonder if I can maximize the life of the tranny (fuck you, I'm allowed to say that -- that's got nothing to do with LGBQT....or whatever) by not matching speed, but by using neutral and trying to match the RPM when shifting to the lower gear.

I mean, that's how you do it on a standard tranny (OK, now I'm just saying that word because I can) if you have a bad synchro or can't use the clutch.

That sounds like an accident waiting to happen, though, putting the auto tranny in neutral on a public street, giving the gas to get the revs up, then taking it down to the first.

Could be a James Brown song, though.

"Give me the juice! Hunh! Good god! Bring on the juice! Hunh! Should we give the tranny some? Yeah! One, two, three, four! Hit me!"

+ Reply to thread