+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Osama bin Laden is reportedly dead

Registered
    Mar 2009

The "conflicting reports" things and changing stories are going to be the mainstay of all events that cause a media feeding frenzy from now on, so get used to it. If that's enough to convince people of conspiracies, then the masses will live in paranoia for the rest of their lives. Twenty-four hour news, social media, blogs, and the thirst to be "first" to scoop a story instead of being accurate are going to lead to information being disseminated in a confusing morass. Knowing how badly the media mangles other types of reporting, I'd be willing to throw a lot of the blame at their feet here.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Conflicting reports" is the natural state of affairs. Ever exchanged notes with a friend after a party and wondered if you'd been at the same place? Imagine if a bunch of guys had been throwing concussion grenades and shooting M-16s at the party. Yet we can't escape the idea that every event should have one consistent narrative reported by everybody concerned.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Very true, Rube. One universally agreed upon version of events might never be found.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

According to some reports, al-Qaeda have confirmed Osama Bin Laden's death.

I wonder if that will be enough for some of the conspiracy theorists.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post

Probably not. My wife tells me that one of the other mothers at our kid's school, a woman originally from Bahrain, has told her that actually Bin Laden cut a deal with the U.S. by which they would get credit for kiling him, and they would put him up in a safe house in the U.S.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That "I Want to Believe" poster in the X-Files was the best summation of conspiracy theorists there ever was. It really is a matter of wanting to believe in these fantastic conspiracies. Evidence shmevidence, let me tell you about the secret underground tunnels Osama takes from LA to Tibet.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post

Probably not. My wife tells me that one of the other mothers at our kid's school, a woman originally from Bahrain, has told her that actually Bin Laden cut a deal with the U.S. by which they would get credit for kiling him, and they would put him up in a safe house in the U.S.
    That makes far more sense then they killed him. So how many would then be involved in this conspiracy?

I saw this summed up somewhere. Conspiracy theory actually helps make the government seem more competent then it really is. Think about the level of control and discipline to make something like this work or worse yet 9/11 theories. The Govt could not even keep Iran/Contra or Watergate hushed and those were far simpler matters with less people involved.

+ Reply to thread