+ Reply to thread

Thread: Royal Wedding

Registered
    Sep 2010

Default Royal Wedding

Marriage, vows, royalty, yadda yadda yadda...

WTF IS UP WITH THESE HATS

And what is wrong with everyone not gouging out their eyes over that?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Are those Andrew's girls?! Oh dear.

On the other hand, the bride's dress was gorgeous. Perfect. She has such taste.

Registered
    Mar 2009

There's a guy named Treacey, I think, who's the it hat designer now, and that one on the right looks just like something he'd do, so I'm guessing that's what's going on here. I don't care for them. They're fine for, you know, runways and Vogue layouts and such, but not for actual wearing to important events.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Yeah, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie made some...interesting fashion choices.

Oh, I loved the wedding gown. I found it very classy and elegant. Similar in that respect to the Queen's wedding gown, though obviously more modern:

What was with the "hat glued to the forehead" look? I really loved Victoria Beckham's outfit and her hat, except for the fact that it was stuck to her forehead.

I love, love, love pill box hats, but it would have looked so much prettier set back on her head a bit.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, that seems to be the style in hats right now, I don't care for it, either. She's insane to be wearing those shoes while pregnant, too. Holy cow.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Of course the Queen looked absolutely perfect. No surprise there, but the gentle yellow and a hat properly on the top of her head really show how classic elegance beats trend hands down.

None of the still pictures really show it, but while I was watching I noticed how much Kate Middleton was shaking. She looked about ready to jump out of her skin with nerves at several points.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Queen looks adorably queenly, Camilla looks like Camilla, and Kate's mom has the perfect Mother of the Bride outfit. I approve.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Queen looks adorably queenly, Camilla looks like Camilla, and Kate's mom has the perfect Mother of the Bride outfit. I approve.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Yes, I approve of the Mother of the Bride look, too. Camilla's hat is very...very. I liked her dress, though. If she'd just toned the hat down a little and picked slightly more flattering shoes (they look too sharp and pinched to me) it would have been nearly perfect.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Camilla looks like that in every picture I see of her.

The Middletons are quite a good-looking family - I think Pippa's dress was my favorite, though Kate did look pretty smashing.

I hope this means that there will be a trend towards sleeves for formal gowns.
    Last edited by Orual; 29 Apr 2011 at 10:56 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ha ha, yes, Camilla looked today exactly like she looked at her own wedding.

Then again, the Queen always kind of looks the same, too.

OH and yes yes yes to the sleeve thing. God, I hate strapless wedding gowns, and my sister who was married last year bought a vintage dress because it was so hard to find anything with straps, let alone sleeves.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 29 Apr 2011 at 11:10 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm not a fan of strapless gowns either. There are some events where covering breasts by sheer hope and a prayer might be appropriate, but I wouldn't want to do it at my wedding. Kate's dress was beautiful and I agree the entire Middleton family really did look gorgeous.

William and Harry were highly adorable, too. Harry just looked giddy throughout.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    William and Harry were highly adorable, too. Harry just looked giddy throughout.

Registered
    Feb 2009

What an excellent day
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well as weddings went, that was a seriously classy affair. No-one can do pomp and circumstance like the British and with the viewing figures from around the world likely to be in the billions.

Watched it all morning, then went to a street party in the afternoon. The weather was just right, not to cold, but the suspected rain held off and it has turned into a warm, sunny day.

Dress created by one of the best British fashion houses, Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen, and apparently most of the fashion houses have gone ga-ga over it.

No major mess-ups and a million or so people in Central London to celebrate. Superb

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well as weddings went, that was a seriously classy affair. No-one can do pomp and circumstance like the British and with the viewing figures from around the world likely to be in the billions.

Watched it all morning, then went to a street party in the afternoon. The weather was just right, not to cold, but the suspected rain held off and it has turned into a warm, sunny day.

Dress created by one of the best British fashion houses, Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen, and apparently most of the fashion houses have gone ga-ga over it.

No major mess-ups and a million or so people in Central London to celebrate. Superb

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Yeah, I think Harry really really likes Kate, and if your little brother thinks you made a good choice, then you're probably in pretty good shape.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Okay. The new princess is a complete babe. She's classy and looks like a bundle-of-fun in the sack. Love her.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

My favorite blogger comment of the day, from Tom & Lorenzo:

If there was one common response worldwide to today's proceedings, it was, "Man, those Brits sure do love their jacked-up hats, don't they?" Old Black ladies in church on Easter Sunday would look at these hats and think, "Those white ladies are wearing some crazy hats!"

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

George Washington is spinning in his grave.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ah well, no one ever said we couldn't gawk at other countries' royals.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Has anyone ever noticed that Prince Michael of Kent is a clone of Czar Nicholas? Look at this guy:

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    Ah well, no one ever said we couldn't gawk at other countries' royals.
    That would be you and the rest of the world then. Current estimate has it at 2 billion people watching live it in some form. That's somewhere between a third and a quarter of the world's population watching two people get hitched.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

In the UK, more than 24 million viewers on average watched BBC One and ITV1 television coverage of Friday's royal wedding, broadcasters have said. This doesn't include those who watched on other channels. I'm impressed. I really didn't think it would be that big a deal in this day and age.
    Last edited by The Original An Gadaí; 30 Apr 2011 at 04:44 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

We enjoy looking in on your royal pomp and circumstance, and most Americans admire Queen Elizabeth, but no one would ever seriously suggest we get a monarchy of our own. President Obama caught hell a few years ago just for bowing to the King of Saudi Arabia and the Emperor of Japan.

Wouldn't it be great if Prince Harry and Pippa Middleton became an item?: http://www.people.com/people/package...486003,00.html

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Wouldn't it be great if Prince Harry and Pippa Middleton became an item?: http://www.people.com/people/package...486003,00.html
    Nice thought, but this isn't going to happen.

Pippa Middleton is already all but engaged to a financier and has been for the last couple of years. Prince Harry is still besotted by Chelsey Davy but, although they get on, she has no intention of becoming a royal.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I like Harry because he's always laughing, and whoever he's standing next to always seems to be laughing, too.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Good point.

I have to say, I think of both princes as relatively thin young men, but those uniforms made them look quite chunky.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02 May 2011 at 10:42 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    ...Pippa Middleton is already all but engaged to a financier and has been for the last couple of years. Prince Harry is still besotted by Chelsey Davy but, although they get on, she has no intention of becoming a royal.
    Interesting. Pippa and Chelsy [note: no second "e"] are apparently gal pals: http://royalwedding.aol.com/2011/05/...|60020#photo-1

More on what happened to the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge after the balcony kisses: http://royalwedding.aol.com/2011/04/...ance-speeches/
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02 May 2011 at 10:51 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to visit California after Canada.

This is apparently Prince William's first "official" tour in the US, though he's visited on vacation before.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Peeta Mellark View post
    Marriage, vows, royalty, yadda yadda yadda...

WTF IS UP WITH THESE HATS

And what is wrong with everyone not gouging out their eyes over that?
    Is this two sets of twins?
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    ...Pippa Middleton is already all but engaged to a financier and has been for the last couple of years. Prince Harry is still besotted by Chelsey Davy but, although they get on, she has no intention of becoming a royal.
    Interesting. Pippa and Chelsy [note: no second "e"] are apparently gal pals: http://royalwedding.aol.com/2011/05/...|60020#photo-1

More on what happened to the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge after the balcony kisses: http://royalwedding.aol.com/2011/04/...ance-speeches/

I love the "C" and "W" balloons on the back of the car. I hope all that was ordered from the Middletons' website!
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 05 May 2011 at 10:25 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think SarahFeena has been struck dumb from watching the Royal Wedding.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I think SarahFeena has been struck dumb from watching the Royal Wedding.
    Ha ha, minor formatting snafu. It's fixed now.

+ Reply to thread