+ Reply to thread

Thread: Woman beaten in Baltimore McDonald's, employee videos it

Registered
    Sep 2010

Default Woman beaten in Baltimore McDonald's, employee videos it

Story here, shamelessly stolen from Facebook.

A lot of people are talking about how the bystanders should have done something (personally, I don't want to get shot in Baltimore, so fuck that), but this isn't the first time a woman's been beaten in public in that city and everybody just stood around and watched. I doubt it'll be the last time. There are a lot of issues going on here. Race, gender identity (the woman being beaten was allegedly attacked because the other women identified her was trans), and what's ethically required of witnesses to a crime.

Registered
    Feb 2009

If the witness is going to hand across the film to the police to help secure a conviction, then fair enough. If the first reaction of the employees was to call the police and wait for them to handle it I can understand, seeing as they don't want any kind of lawsuit against the company they are working for. I woudl guess that they have been told not to intervene if anything happens and to wait for the police. I imagine the same went for a lot of the bystanders as well.

Videoing it just to put it up on the internet, now that's callous and worth of a lawsuit. Does it make them accessories to the crime in any way?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Videoing it just to put it up on the internet, now that's callous and worth of a lawsuit. Does it make them accessories to the crime in any way?
    I'm not sure. The video definitely should have been only used for police evidence and not for the cameraman to go online and talk about how the victim deserved it for "getting smart with everybody."

Registered
    Jul 2010

Would we have been aware of this incident or would the story have had as much of an impact without the video?

Registered
    Sep 2010

Probably not. Since this is the second video of a beating on a woman like this in Baltimore I've seen recently, I have to think there are more incidents that don't end up on video.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That is some horrific violence. I had to turn it off the first time I tried to watch it and relied on other people's descriptions of what happened in the rest of the video, and from that felt they weren't really being fair to the employees or bystanders. After managing to watch it all the way through: holy shit humanity fail. If people are violently assaulting someone as soon as they back off you stop them from getting close to the victim. The first time the attackers went out of the store the manager should have been locking the doors.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Jul 2010

Just watched the whole video, and I'd be hard pressed to intervene in a situation like this. If I laid a hand on either of the crazy women, I'd be jailed for assault, then probably sued. If the women were local to McD's, there's also a chance that they could violently retaliate in the future.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't think touching or physically intervening would have been a remotely safe thing to do and don't blame people for not putting themselves in harm's way, but locking the doors so they couldn't come back in is something I'd hope even the stupidest among us would have been able to figure out.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looks like the person who took the footage and uploaded it has been fired. I think MacDonalds will be doing their own investigation into the matter as well.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

+ Reply to thread