+ Reply to thread

Thread: Money over playing for your country

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Money over playing for your country

Lasith Malinga has decided to withdraw himself from the next Test Series, between England and Sri Lanka, citing a knee injury. Normally, this would not be a problem as sportsman do get injured. However, he is currently playing in the IPL where he is earning a lot of money and has shown no sign that he will be giving up his lucrative contract.

It does not look good for him or the Sri Lankan Cricket board that he is putting a contract over playing for his country and will still expect to play for them in the future. The board have requested he immediately stop playing to undergo rehab for it.

I guess in the age of the professional sportsman, it is going to become more common, but its still sad.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, most pro athletes nowadays exalt their paycheck over nationalism. Along with their rampant drug abuse, messy personal lives and relentless egotism, it just doesn't surprise me anymore.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Oddly we have the opposite problem in baseball. Too many players choosing nationalism over loyalty to the teams that pay them millions and loyalty to the fans. I think the perception is different though as the teams are in 16 cases over 100 years old and the Baseball World Classic is less then a decade old. Few Americans care about this new thing and don't want their players doing anything to affect the season.

Obviously with soccer the view is very different. In Hockey the fans seem much more receptive to the players playing in the Olympics for their country.

+ Reply to thread