+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gay marriage ban in Indiana

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Gay marriage ban in Indiana

The Indiana legislature is working on a constitutional amendment which states that a legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized. Such progressive states as Michigan have already passed such amendments and are currently reaping the benefits.

To all supporters of such legislation (and amendments) I ask: what is your primary reason, other than bigotry, for your support?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't think you're going to get much of an answer here...there probably isn't anyone around these parts who would support such an amendment.

Registered
    Sep 2010

I think the primary thing is people projecting their own values onto others. Because they find a same sex relationship personally repulsive/sinful/bad-for-the-children, it would be that way for everyone and so should be banned. I've never entirely understood it, but it must be common because the flipside (someone is personally repulsed by the idea of a gay relationship, therefore they must be a bigot!!!!!!) seems to happen in people's heads all the time.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Peeta Mellark View post
    I think the primary thing is people projecting their own values onto others. Because they find a same sex relationship personally repulsive/sinful/bad-for-the-children, it would be that way for everyone and so should be banned. I've never entirely understood it, but it must be common because the flipside (someone is personally repulsed by the idea of a gay relationship, therefore they must be a bigot!!!!!!) seems to happen in people's heads all the time.
    To be clear, I am specifically looking for reasons which are not based on bigotry. Here's the extent of my knowledge:

Someone being squicked out by the thought of gay sex -----> not a bigot. I expect lots homosexuals are squicked out by the idea of straight sex. It goes with the territory.

Someone being squicked out by the thought or gay sex and consequently seeking to ban a state from recognizing any type of civil union similar to marriage -----> possibly a bigot. That's why I'm asking!

Registered
    Mar 2009

To be clear, I am specifically looking for reasons which are not based on bigotry. Here's the extent of my knowledge:

Someone being squicked out by the thought of gay sex -----> not a bigot. I expect lots homosexuals are squicked out by the idea of straight sex. It goes with the territory.

Someone being squicked out by the thought of gay sex and consequently seeking to ban a state from recognizing any type of civil union similar to marriage -----> possibly a bigot. That's why I'm asking!
    Last edited by Dave; 10 Apr 2011 at 01:21 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Dave View post
    I think the primary thing is people projecting their own values onto others.
    To be clear, I am specifically looking for reasons which are not based on bigotry.
    I don't think projecting your own values onto someone else is necessarily bigoted. If I think the ideal situation is a home with two kids and one fully involved parent, then that's what I think. It worked for me, so I can absolutely think it'll work for everybody else without being a bigot.

I think that legislating morality in the way that Indiana and other states have is dangerous in the extreme, as saying "We're going to ban gay marriage" could have easily been "We're going to ban Muslim marriage," and there was a point in the not-too-distant past when it was "We're going to ban interracial marriage." Hell, they could have banned blue house paint or yellow cars, and probably found some sort of justification to set their own minds at ease.
    Last edited by Marsilia; 10 Apr 2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: I don't really think two kids and one parent is any more ideal than any other parent-child ratio with at least one parent.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

How do states like this handle same-sex couples who have married abroad and are legally married?

Do they just ignore the fact and insist they cannot be married?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Reading through some of the details, it appears one of the main reasons for this bill is to further protect their idea of what marriage is and that it should be between a man and a woman.

As marriage has always been defined for them in this way, they see no reason why a minority group should force their values onto the majority and hijack the status for their own, when by the majority's understanding, it would be inaccurate.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    How do states like this handle same-sex couples who have married abroad and are legally married?

Do they just ignore the fact and insist they cannot be married?
    Pretty much, yeah.

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

With all the social change in the last generation we probably shouldn't have been surprised to see as much backlash as we're running into. Either way, there's nothing wrong with not wanting gays to marry, or believing that gays have the right to marry. It'll get hashed out in time. The only important thing is that we try and not demonize both sides until there's no use in talking anymore.

Like, what if I gave gays the right to marry but I also imposed a limit saying you can not get remarried for 5 years once you become married? Would that satisfy both sides? No? How about 7 years?

There should be more room for debate and compromise but that just hasn't happened. I blame both sides.

+ Reply to thread