+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is music?

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Default What is music?

I just had a drunken argument with a Russian about music, and it seems we have different ideas on what it is. So, is it a bunch of sounds that make you feel stuff? A mass-produced commodity to make rich people more money? A mode of expression? Catharsis? What is music to you?

PixieBob

All of the above. One facet of Music Theory focuses on "a bunch of sounds that make you feel stuff". Certain combinations of tones do evolk certain emotions but it depends on the sensitivity of the listener. I don't listen to music because I find that it affects me too deeply. It definitely makes people rich, but...Miley Cirus??? Wpuld I want my kids to admire her? A mode of expression? Rap music proves that. Catharsis. Never heard that one but very possible for some.

I have noticed that the proper music can really add to a good movie, and improperly selected music can tank an otherwise great film.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by PixieBob View post

I have noticed that the proper music can really add to a good movie, and improperly selected music can tank an otherwise great film.
    Hell, if anyone bothers to pay attention, the Sponge Bob Square Pants experience is massively enhanced by brilliant musical scoring.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    ...the Sponge Bob Square Pants experience...
    God bless you, sir.

Registered
    Mar 2009

F IS FOR FRIENDS THAT DO STUFF TOGETHER
    U IS FOR YOU AND MEEEEEEEE
    N IS FOR ANYWHERE AND ANYTIME AT...all....

Stop looking at me like that you guys.

PixieBob

Oh...a Wabbit...Yes...I'd love to cuddle...give me a moment to get my bib and napkin.

+ Reply to thread