+ Reply to thread

Thread: Large Demo in London

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Large Demo in London

Last weekend, the British unions arranged a major demonstrations with a march through London and a rally being held in Hyde Park. The rally was to protest against the upcoming austerity measure being set out by the current coalition government and the rally included a speech by the leader of the Opposition, Ed MIlliband. However, his speech comparing them to the Suffragette or anti-apartheid movement is not going down well.

They were expecting about 200,000 and instead the number suggested range is from 250,000-500,000, which puts it at one of the largest marches since the Stop the War march from 2003, which bought a million people to London.

There were still some troublemarkers and anarchist groups who decide that it would also be a good time to join in the fun by vandalising the property of anyone they classified as a corporate fat cat or a group they believed were not paying enough in taxes.

In some ways, its very impressive. In other ways, the people protesting are public sector workers, who are desperate to keep their pay rises and gold plated pensions and don't have an alternative other than to keep spending someone else's money.

Personally, I just stayed out of Central London for the weekend.

More details here, although all the british newspapers have been covering it.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

PixieBob

Where did you get your suit made. I'd love to have one. I have a lot of friends in the London area. But they probably didn't attend. Bollocks.

+ Reply to thread