+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is the Republican Party liable to split?

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Is the Republican Party liable to split?

I don't know a whole lot about American politics but it seems to me like the Republican Party is being hijacked, for want of a better term, by the Tea Party. Are there many Republicans who dislike the Tea Party and its policies? Are there enough to cause a schism in the party? More importantly perhaps, could such a schism ever be large enough to lead to the creation of a national third party or is that still vanishingly unlikely?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I tend to doubt the party will split. The country is too closely divided between right and left, and neither side can afford to lose voters to a 3rd party.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I think it's more likely that the Tea Party going to be (or already is) successful in their hijack. It's not like the Republican Party is suffering from their influence.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The Republican party was in really bad shape twice in my life and both times the Dems screwed up and let them off the mat.

After Nixon the party was reeling but Jimmy Carter and an infusion of conservatism and a charismatic Candidate in Ronald Reagan fixed that fast.

This last election with Obama riding high at the Republicans at an all time low. I actually thought a third moderate party might rise up out of the ashed the was Fiscal conservative but left the social issues to the Theo-Cons that had hijacked the Repubs. Instead the Democrats dithers and procrastinated for the better part of the 18 months leading to the mid-terms and the Repubs, now heavily ladened with tea-baggers roared back yet again.

The Repubs love to screw up in huge ways but the Dems just are a disorganized mess. Look at the "Liberal" side of the Dems talking impeachment right now over Libya. The Dems are just stupid as a party.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    ... Look at the "Liberal" side of the Dems talking impeachment right now over Libya.
    ... Wut.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    I tend to doubt the party will split. The country is too closely divided between right and left, and neither side can afford to lose voters to a 3rd party.
    You mean the country is divided between the right and the further right, don't you.

The Tea Party's effect has been to push the Republicans even further to the right than usual and the differences are a lot more obvious between the two parties now. I cannot see them splitting as that would be electoral suicide and leave the field open for the Democrats.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

+ Reply to thread