+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Necessary Evil: Mission 1

Registered
    Feb 2011

Special notes for Fitheal: I did a card draw just to see, arbitrarily, how lucky you were to see anything on the screen prior to the attack getting your attention; you did not do well. You are fairly certain where he isn't, however, after a Common Knowledge roll. The camera focuses on three cells at a time; there are nine cells per cell block level, and two levels per cell block, and four cell blocks. Which means the camera pans a total of twenty four times. Eleven screens passed before you ran out. So he is not in Cell Block 1, and if he is in Cell Block 2, then he is in the top right three cells of it, the rest of Cell Block 2 being ruled out. He might be in Cell Block 3 or 4.
    For your initiative, by the way, I drew a Joker. This means for the combat you can act anywhere in an action you want to. So depending on your actions, I will always place you in the most beneficial. On all trait rolls you get +2 to the test, and on all damage rolls you get +2 to the damage. Nice! Still, you will not be there this round, but because of the Joker, you can be in shooting range next round.

INITIATIVE
    *[WE?] Fitheal -
    Joker - Lightning blasts!
    [CHAT] Deca - Ace - Kill #2
    [MALA] Terawatt - Queen - Fly, shoot #4
    Drone #2-4 - Ten - Attack
    [AC] Lovelace - Eight - hacking into system to locate Mindjack’s cell.
    [CIAS] Flicker - Five - Teleport back, shoot #3

See above, Fitheal - who is hurrying the distance to try to get a good shot.

Deca makes another attack, ignoring things like pain and being outnumbered as she makes another vicious attack. The drone, unlike his predecessor, sees the attack coming and dodges quickly out of the way before it strikes for its own attack.
    (Roll Fighting 1d12+Wild Die 1d6. Roll a 1 on Fighting, a 3 on Wild Die. Compare 3 to Parry 6; miss. Compare 5, which is the electric touch attack, still shy of Parry 6. Swing and a miss.)

The distance to the prison from here is not too brisk; Terawatt will barely be able to near, as he powers up and flies. This means his targeting is largely on the fly, as he lays down a blast, even given the headstart with flight that his compatriot Fitheal does not have here.
    (What this means is the travel time is going to reduce your second action by an action penalty, so the attack is at -2 to hit.
    But we make an attempt for it. You are able to shoot at a -2 for the range modifier of being far the hell away. You are also trying not to wing a compatriot next to them. -2 to hit. So your attack is a total of a -6. Eff it, let's go for it.
    Shooting roll of a d10 and Wild Die of d6, +1 for Trademark Weapon, -4 for penalties incurred; 4 on Wild Die, 9 on Shooting dice. 9+1-6=4. This is a hit with no raise. You hit #4 with the minimum you needed to.
    First, I check the enemy's Vigor to see if they suffer an additional d6. They are at -2 for being an electronic foe. They roll a 7 on a d8, which -2 is 5; they pass their Vigor roll.
    So I roll the 3d6 damage. 5+5+3=13. You hit them, but do not gain a raise; #4 is shaken for the round and unable to act.)
    [note: in the future, let me know if you're doing Rapid Fire or not. What Rapid Fire does is, for a -2 on the shooting dice, you get to roll your Shooting dice again (you have Rate of Fire 2 due to your power costs at the moment), and then damage again if successful. So, less accurate, more shots. Due to the difficulty of this shot as you race to close the gap, I assumed not.]

Drone #1 is dead. Drone #4 is disabled by Terawatt's shot.
    Drone #2 and Drone #3 quickly both attack, repeating their attempts from before. The Drone #2 to try to release an electric pulse to stun Deca, and #3 to shoot her dead. They both make contact; but her resistant skin easily absorbs the brunt of both of their attacks, while their compatriot's systems struggle to overcome Terawatt's blast.
    (Drone #2 makes a Fighting roll on a d8, +2 for touch attack, vs. Deca's parry of 7. Roll an 8; reroll a 7. 15 total. This is 8 over her Parry, for two total raises. This increases her Vigor roll to resist the Shaken effect by -2 for each raise, to -4 extra; she must make her Vigor roll at -6 or be shaken. Roll Deca's vigor of 1d12+2, -6, or 1d12 -4. She rolls 9, 9-4=5. 5 makes the Vigor check. Considering she needed an 8 or above, this is fortuitous. Deca is not shaken.)
    (Drone #3 makes a Shooting roll on a d8, -2 for shooting to avoid his colleague, -2 to Rapid Fire (3 shots) vs. static difficulty of 4. Rolls a 6, -4, for 2, rolls a 7, -4, for 3, rolls an 8+5, -4, for 9. It's a hit with a raise. Rolls damage of 3d6+1d6. 2+6+4+5(+1)=18. With her Toughness currently at 11, this is just shy of two raises. But it is still a wound on Deca; Vigor check of 1d12+2 vs. static 4 to Absorb the wound. Roll a 6; makes it easily. Deca now is 1d12+3 Vigor and Strength.)
    (Drone #4 spends the turn trying to shake off Shaken. Rolled a 7. Next turn, Shaken will be gone, though it does last the round.)

Lovelace discards the broadcasting and focuses on hacking now. It can take a minute, especially to bypass V'sori password protections, but Lovelace sets to task.
    (1 on your Knowledge - Computers roll. 6+2 on your Wild Die; with a +4 from Interface, this gives you a raise to break in. This means, according to the Interface - Codebreaker power, you'll have access to the V'sori computer in two rounds to be able to get the data you need... and mess with what you want to.)

Teleporting behind them, now that he sees it's those drones, Flicker opens fire on Drone #3.
    (My dice want to kill you. You roll a 1 on your Wild Die and a 1 on your Shooting roll. This is a catastrophic failure, or a 'fumble'. So... bad things happen. In this case, the gun jams; for some reason, it won't accept any feed from the magazine. To fix it requires, at minimum, dropping the magazine, forcing one of the bullets out, and re-fitting the magazine; and that's if the problem is in fact with the magazine feed instead of an issue with receiving the ammunition. Which can, instead, require you to clear a double-feed if that's what happened, which will also require a small bit of work. Your weapon is inoperable for 1d4 rounds. I rolled a 3. So you can spend 3 rounds fixing the gun, or give it up.)

Top o' the round, it's Fitheal! If he wants to!
    3 drones are still up; #2, #3, #4, and Lovelace, who is very far away, could tell you more are coming, but they are very far away -- so just 3 left, guys!

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Lovelace leans back, grinning, as her password generating program crunches numbers. Who uses six character passwords anymore? Poor security choice. She'll be inside at any moment. In the mean time, she'll watch the attack on the drone's broadcasts.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Fitheal will blast.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Never give a sucker an even break. As the range shortens, the guy I just Shook gets my full normal RoF - no need to try for more. I figure any time I get a Raise, or they fail a Vigor roll, or a damage die Aces, they're headed for trouble. And I'm almost tempted to wing Deca in the expectation of doing her more good than harm, but maybe not till we've had a chance to discuss it, as I'm ready to bet she's a royal sore-ass.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Can I claim a Benny on the last roll please.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Fixed due to Bennies!

Drone #3 rears back after it's strike to lay another blast upon the Atlantean warrior. He is wholly unexpecting it as Flicker appears before him and smoothly pulls the trigger. The gun jerks more than anticipated, and somehow lands perfectly. The Mark II HeroKiller round tears through the back of its helmet, and bursts from the fore; the drone stumbles and collapses, the front of its face blown through the helmet.

My dice roll a 5 on your Wild Die, a 2 on your Shooting die. With a +1 for Laser Sight, your Wild Die is a hit. +1 for Sight, -2 for shooting to melee. You might want to work on your Shooting d4, haha. Anyway; it hits. 2+4+6{+6{{+4}}}. WOO ACING EXPLOSIONS. 22 damage. With the AP on the weapon, that's almost four raises.
    The weapon kicks back, with a 4 on the 1d6; under his toughness. Bruising continues, but no true damage occurs.

Registered
    Feb 2011

INITIATIVE
    *[WE?] Fitheal
    - Joker - Lightning blasts!
    [CHAT] Deca - Ace - Kill #2
    [MALA] Terawatt - Queen - Fly, shoot #4 with normal RoF
    Drone #2, #4 - Ten - Attack. #2 wishes to kill Flicker. #4 wishes to kill Terawatt.
    [AC] Lovelace - 8 - hacking into system to locate Mindjack’s cell.
    [CIAS] Flicker - Five - shoot #4

Fitheal, as he approaches, sights a target and lays in quickly, shooting the one nearest his position. The druid’s lightning bolts hum with arcane magic as they burst across the field towards their mechanical opponents. The lightning tears into it and the creature sparks and spasms, its systems struggling as flesh sears inside; it remains up, but lowers its arm, struggling to bring itself together.
    Shooting roll d4! -2 for melee fire, -2 for range! You are at -4 to hit on a d4! …and roll a 4! And roll another 4! And roll A THIRD FOUR. And then a 1. Well, even with that 1, it’s a 13; -4 comes to a 9, which is a raise on your Shooting roll against a target of 4. This gives you +1d6 damage, for 3d6 on the target. You roll 3+5+2, 10; this is enough to make the target Shaken. It is unable to act. Vigor roll for Shaken recovery; it fails. It remains Shaken.

Deca’s lance is pulled back and ready for another strike; she races forward to strike, and as she comes in for a strike, Fitheal’s blast sends him just slightly off kilter, making her strike lose most of its controlled thrust; but it does strike true, brushing against the armor. The burst of electricity from the lance compounds the electricity already coursing its body, pulsing and sending the creature to its knees before it slumps over, smoking.
    Roll of Fighting; d10 gets you a 6. Misses the Parry; but the touch attack portion is +2, giving you an 8 for just the shock. It hits. 6+5 gets you 11, the six rerolled for another 2 for 13 damage on the shock done to the second drone. This kills it, as it is already Shaken.

The flying electric villain nears, and Terawatt focuses his fire, unleashing full-bore on the drone who’s body just starts to seem to move, its system shaking off the effects of the last blast. Unleashing a concentrated blast as he sails into close range, the drone sparks, spasms, and pieces of electronics shatter from his body as his helmet receives wet membranous pulp within it from the surge of near-lightning rocking its sensitive body.
    I was confused by your ‘just your normal RoF’. So just once? I assumed so. At first I thought you meant full blast, all chambers, but I reread it. Hope I interpreted it right.
    Shooting roll of d10; rolled a 9, +1 for trademark weapon, -2 for melee. This comes out to 9 for the hit. With a TN of 4, this is a raise. Your damage is increased to 4d6. I then check his Vigor roll; he fails it by a lot. Your damage is increased to 5d6. So I roll 5d6. 5+2+1+6+5. Reroll 6 – 4. So 19+4=23. 13 over their Toughness, or 4 raises. Yeah, Drone #4 is dead.

The drones, obviously, do not take their turn.

Lovelace gets access to the V’sori system, using a subroutine to manage to operate the system even though it’s in V’soran and not English. Despite the communication incongruencies, sweet-talking the machine manages to let them get around with some decent skill, and they find the cell. He is in Cellblock 3A5; the lower level of cellblock 3, fifth cell from the left. Also, alerts are all over the system, screaming INTRUDER ALERT. It is clear to Lovelace that there is another squad of drones on-site moving to intercept, and that the K’thareen and V’sori who were responding to the destruction of the transports are now en route.

Flicker is left holding the bag, and a very heavy gun that has one hell of a kick.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Lovelace will use any loudspeakers near the rest of the party to tell them where Mindjack is, and that more enemies are coming. After that, Lovelace will look for any way to slow down the enemies who are coming-- is there a set of automatic defenses that can be used to attack the enemies, or are their transport craft tied into the system, and if so, can Lovelace redirect or crash them?

Registered
    Feb 2011

No, there is no way to hack the ships in transit which are still a considerable distance from here.

However, Lovelace manages to project from one of the downed drones her voice through their modulator, declaring Drone squad incoming, reinforcement ships returning quickly!

[EDIT] ...and also mentions that Mindjack is in Cell block 3A5
    Last edited by Ramses; 02 Apr 2011 at 07:50 PM.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Can she also tell them where Mindjack is?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

For future reference, unless I am both at long range and firing into melee then I will use Rapid Fire as I estimate the advantage of the second shot outweighs the penalty. A shot where I already have -4 is probably not worth penalising any further though.

Just great. Looks like we're going to be up to our asses in aliens any second now.

Any place I could set up an ambush? I've the firepower for a straightforward slugfest, but numbers will grind me down sooner or later.
    Last edited by Malacandra; 02 Apr 2011 at 05:30 PM.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2011

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra View post
    For future reference, unless I am both at long range and firing into melee then I will use Rapid Fire as I estimate the advantage of the second shot outweighs the penalty. A shot where I already have -4 is probably not worth penalising any further though.
    Got it.

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra View post
    Any place I could set up an ambush? I've the firepower for a straightforward slugfest, but numbers will grind me down sooner or later.
    Not really much of one, no. The best is to move between two cell block divisions to force them to pass through a bottleneck, if you can be sure which area they're coming from, you can skirt back to try to choke them off a little. However, this is all a pretty open area, with blocky buildings covered with bars. Maybe if you moved back to the admin building I suppose, but that's a lot of open ground they can catch you all on...

Registered
    Feb 2011

With the drones a mass of dead bodies and Lovelace's voice coming out of the transmitters that there are more reinforcements coming, Deca quickly looks up at the prison, then turns towards Flicker. "Does that mean third floor?" It's obvious she's not waiting for an answer as she gestures with her head for him to follow. If the teleporter wants to grab her up and swing her inside that would be fine. Otherwise, she's looking for a way in.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"In a two story building, that's unlikely. But it's as good a clue as any to find Mindjack. Not having seen inside this particular prison, I'm not intending on vanishing in there."

Flicker thinks for a moment, considering his options and the fact that more guards will likely be in wait at the front of the building.

Are there any windows in the side of the prison? If so, can Flicker see through them and what does he see?

Registered
    Feb 2011

No windows on the backside of it, where you are.

You do, however, see a giant V'sori marking that you all recognize as 2 on the back of the prison building to your left and a giant marking that means 4 on the prison building to your right. There are two buildings across the courtyard. This seems vaguely informative, given there are not three levels.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 04 Apr 2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Fixed code < > replaced with [ ]

Registered
    Feb 2011

(Woopsy on the three levels thing.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Hey Deca, wait up." Flicker points across the courtyard, "Mindjack's gonna be one of those two. We need to get around the back and see which one is Cell Block 3. It'll save having to break into both of them, if we got the choice wrong."

"Terawatt, can you give us some aerial cover, Deca, Fitzy, check for more guards and get ready to break in the front doors. I'll go find out which is the right block. Back Soon."

As he flickers out, "Oh and Deca, thanks."

If the prison buildings are separate, Flicker will rapid teleport across the courtyard to the back of another wing. If they are wings of a single building, Flicker will teleport to the roof and rapid teleport across the top and down the other side.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Aerial cover comin' right up." Terawatt takes to the air again, keeping his eyes peeled for any company and ready to bolt first and ask questions afterwards.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fítheal will access the door and try to decide the best way to break them or remove them.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Teleporting across the way, Flicker discovers almost immediately which cell block is 3. Also, once in the front, you can see that the bottom level has an A on it - the V'soran lettering for it, anyway, but after two years, the basic alphabet and numbers have been understood even if the words themselves were foreign. The upper level a B. Similar coding appears next to each Cell, with numbering ascending from left to right. Flicker determines almost immediately which cell is 3A5. There is a man in it who is tall and lean with sandy blond hair and hazel eyes and a smile that's on his lips - it's clear he's aware you're here to rescue him.

"Nice night for a walk, don't you think?" Mindjack inquires aloud.

To the left of his cell, in 3A4, is a young woman who is beautiful, but also covered with a strange pattern of spots along her face and hands visible past her orange jumpsuit, some mutant of some kind. She immediately calls out in a Mexican accent, "My name is Valerie Ramirez!" she caled out. "You are an Omegan, yes? Take me with you! I promise you won't regret it!" she pleaded to Flicker. Other voices began to raise as well, near him in the block.

WhatExit?, what door are you trying to access? Are you inferring you're going to find the 3A5 door once it's pointed out, and make your way over there, to try to break it or remove it?

Terawatt goes aerial and sees something that Flicker can, too, if he takes a look, or anyone else who've stepped into the courtyard of the prison cells; there are four more drones and they are racing towards the division between Cell Block 2 and Cell Block 4, where you all had been, but point towards Cell Block 3A5 and reroute - racing towards where Flicker is. They are about three combat turns out of physical range, two out of good shooting position, one out of maximum shooting position to present a real threat. According to Lovelace's reports, it was just one more squad incoming... but reinforcements were flying this way.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The front doors I was directed to by CIAS.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Can Lovelace unlock all the cell blocks near Mindjack? I can't imagine that it'll hurt to let extras go free.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Terawatt sets course to intercept this quartet in a couple of rounds time, figuring to start zapping about the time they come in view of Flicker. "No sense seein' if I can chew all four of 'em alone when I can wait till they got a little more to handle." The powerful ducted fans whisk him along briskly at rooftop height, energised by his seemingly limitless internal electricity.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2011

If Lovelace were there, instead of at the admin building, yes. Lovelace is definitely the best suited to handle this, as the locks are clearly electronic in some fashion.

Terawatt will be able to intercept them almost immediately if he chooses, as they race one direction and he heads the opposite.

Ah, okay, I see. I was mistakenly unclear. Maybe I should make a picture of the compound. One moment.
    ...time lapse occurs... dramatic montage...

Here's a map. Not much for front doors. The prison cells blocks are wide open, not in an enclosed space, which are patrolled by these drones currently - as Flicker and Deca found out the very hard way, fortunate for your all's rescue. Another patrol is heading ... let's pretend my map is following N at the top. So they're now moving south, while you guys are ambling northwards towards Cell Block 3. They are now diverting towards SE to intercept Flicker. I should've made one of these earlier to clear up confusion.

The official 'guardhouse' in the cell block area, by the way, is in the back of Cell Block 1, facing the front gates.

Last edited by Ramses; 04 Apr 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Deca hasn't followed Flicker. She's staring at the cell blocks. They appear to be electronic devices. While Flicker goes off to find Mindjack, she approaches cell block 2 and attempts to jam her electro-lance into the locking mechanism to short it out. Whoever they are in there, at best, a bunch of released prisoners will create a diversion for the incoming drones.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ramses, a picture is worth a thousand words.

From the sounds of it, we can access each of the individual cells easily enough. Are the prisoners wearing nullifiers or are they just locked in?

Does the name Valerie Ramirez mean anything to me?

"Sorry, no Omega's here, just a paid-for jailbreak. But all bribes gratefully accepted and chances at freedom fulfilled."

There is a brief look around the cells and the people clamouring to get out and he spots the Drones incoming.

"Oh crap, here we go again", he mutters to himself. "Incoming!", he yells to the others in the group in case they hadn't noticed.

If they are wearing nullifiers, try teleporting Mindjack out of his cell.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Deca jams her lance into a cell block electronic lock in Cell Block 2. It shorts out the lock device; the door doesn't budge. If anything, it has now ensured they stay locked up.

Flicker: They are locked inside. Not wearing nullifiers. The cell blocks are sealed by clear doors. Voices are muffled but able to be heard through the glass if you listen, and they cry out loudly.

Valerie Ramirez means nothing to you.

"Don't leave me here! Money! As much as you want!" she cries out.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Flicker thinking quickly to himself, "Hmm, no nullifiers, chances are the cells are completely nullified. But then again, I'm not in a null field, so this should work."

Flicker tries to teleport Mindjack out of the cell, regardless.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Imaginary ERRRNNTTT noise.

It doesn't work.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, didn't think so. I wonder who has the keys. Well, the guards would have the keys...I never checked the drones we took out.

To Mindjack, "Don't go away."

Flicker rapid teleports out of there to the drone corpses hoping he is faster than the incoming lot, just to see if they have a key. Failing that, he will have to get Lovelace up here.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Should the incoming lot arrive in time to inconvenience Flicker, the air support will chip in.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2009

Kamaria is locked near Mindjack, in 3A6. Unlike the other prisoners, she isn't calling out to be rescued, simply watching tensely. "You're not going to forget me," she points out to Mindjack with a frown.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Lovelace will continue looking for anything to screw with in the system. If there are any automated security features, like turret guns or other defenses, she'll disable them or program them to target the incoming enemies. If not, she'll help out Terawatt by activating any fire suppression or irrigation sprinklers right into the enemies faces.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Deca, seeing that this didn't work decides to step back for a moment. She rounds the block to where Mindjack is.

"I could try breaking it open," she says to the others. And if there's no opposition, she'll try to do just that.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Don't bother Deca, they are designed to stop things like that. We either need a key or Lovelace. Oh, and do you want to handle those drones?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

For the stupid of player, ie. me, what are the locks on the cells?

Registered
    Feb 2011

The locks are electronic, on the left side of the door.

The drones approach rapidly, and are within firing range. Even Terawatt is in their visual range; only Lovelace and Flicker are free of their injurious actions, as Flicker finds no key cards on the drones. Well, Kamaria is also safe, being in a cell.

Each of the drones poise themselves to open fire on the various free villains. What do you want to do, Deca, Fitheal, Terawatt?

Registered
    Feb 2011

Deca will attempt to hold off the incoming drones.

Registered
    Feb 2009

While the others take out the drones, Flicker will head back to the admin bulding to get hold of Lovelace.

Rapid Teleport to make it quicker and then provide cover on the way back.

Oh and while in the admin building, there are no prison keys around are there?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fítheal, who would like a nice cup of tea at this point will instead power up to blast the drones.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Target an incoming drone for Rapid Fire - if the first bolt doesn't at least leave him Shaken, let him have another, but if it does, blast another one. Any of them who are at least slightly discomforted will become much more so once the Sea-Tank is breathing down their necks!
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ok, so Deca, Fitheal and Terawatt are going to take down the drones, Flicker is heading back to the admin building and Lovelace is trying to hack in from there.

Were those electronic locks, keycards, number pads, thumbprints or what?

Registered
    Feb 2011

INITIATIVE
    [MALA] Terawatt - Ace - Fly, shoot #1 with Rapid Fire
    Drone #1-#4 - Queen - Attack.
    [AC] Lovelace - Jack - hacking into system to open Mindjack’s cell.
    [WE?] Fitheal – 10 - Lightning blasts!
    [CIAS] Flicker – Seven - Get to Lovelace in the admin building
    [CHAT] Deca - 6 - Kill #2

Terawatt as he sees them incoming watches the Drone’s formation leader draw a weapon on where Flicker just was, and then turn to take aim on the flying man, having spotted Terawatt. Wisely, Terawatt strikes, getting the draw on him so to speak. A massive bolt of lightning explodes from his hands and tears through the man below him, causing the Drone’s armor to burst from his flesh sickly, the plated armor collapsing around him as his flesh nearly detonates from the blow, leaving a mess on those beside him.
    If you do “Multiple Actions”, you can determine whether to start all over again or not on a new target once the first falls. Rapid Fire has to be declared as one action – no conditionals such as “if he falls down, redirect fire”. Either you plan to shoot two once each, or once twice. I’m going to go with one twice as per your initial. Just so you know – rapid fire is pulling the trigger fast enough you don’t have to split your focus. So the decision making requires expedition as well.
    You roll 2d10 (one for each shot from your Rapid Fire) and your Wild Die. The wild die can stand in for any one roll. Each roll gets a +1 you to hit. You roll a 1 on 1d10, a 10 on a 1d10 (+9 on the reroll), and a 2 on the d6 Wild Die. So you get 3 on one roll, 20 on the other. Only one hit hits. Vigor check; the drone fails it. You do 3d6 damage, +1d6 electrical damage, +1d6 damage raise for 5d6 damage. You roll 2,4,1,6,6. The 6s reroll to 6 and 6. Then to 1 and 2. 34 damage total. That kills it dead.

#1 is dead. #2 draws and fires, as does #3 and #4.
    Miraculously, they all roll 2 and 1. Huh.

Lovelace finds that this system does not interface with the security systems for the jail; it might require the on-site guard room at least, if not the actual doors themselves.

Fitheal is assumed to have kept the channeled power from before. He unleashes a bolt on the nearest foe. They are at distance, and he hopes to make purchase.
    He rolls a 2; -2 this is 0. He fails to hit the targets. Next turn there will be no distance penalty.

Flicker makes the distance to the administration building, where Lovelace is.

Ninienne races forward to intercept them, and sends a hard strike forward as she interferes with their progress. A hard blow of her lance strikes true to one of them, and the electricity bites deep within them. The lance digs in to the drone, and the drone sputters, trying to raise its gun to return the blow, shuddering before it collapses, inert.
    Roll of 7, hits both attacks for their parry. Damage roll of 1d12 is 7, 2d6 is 7, so 14 total damage, +1 for the weapon. Compared to their toughness, this is just over a wound raise and the enemy dies, barely.

Registered
    Feb 2011

The locks are number codes. They also are in number patterns of V'soran language, adding some complexity to it - you are all only passingly familiar with their basic alphabet and numbers.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I wonder if they were stupid enough to write the number down anywhere", thinks Flicker to himself as he heads back as fast as he can to the admin building.

"Lovelace. C'mon, you need to get to the cells to hack them open. They have electronic numberpad locks."

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"What, in the middle of a firefight? Can we take cover on the way?"

Lovelace will activate her Z-belt, don her flak jacket, activate her Deflection Corset, and program her Disguise Device to make her look like a boring, middle-aged man in a cheap suit. That way, she'll be as safe as possible in transit.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I wouldn't worry, the drones are too busy trying to kill Deca, and she's having fun killing them. By the time we get there, it should be over...and what the fuck do you look like." Flicker attempts to stop laughing at the new middle aged man in front of him.

"Please switch back, or the others may shoot you on the way there instead.", he says with a grin.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"Ha. They won't shoot at someone that's you're teleporting, and they're busy anyway. I don't believe I've been caught on camera yet, and I'd like to keep the V'sori in the dark about my presence here. Let's go."

Registered
    Feb 2011

Caught in battle frenzy, Deca is blissfully unaware of what's going on around her. Rather than pause, she keeps going, attempting to draw the attention of the last two drones. More must be on the way, and drawing their attention off the others will at least give them time to figure out how to get the cages open.

Registered
    Feb 2011

INITIATIVE
    [CIAS] Flicker – A – return to the front.
    [AC] Lovelace - 10 - look like a middle-aged man in the middle of a prison break. Because no one suspects an accountant!
    [WE?] Fitheal – 6 high - Lightning blasts? #3
    [CHAT] Deca - 6 low - Kill #4
    Drone #3-#4 - 4 - Attack.
    [MALA] Terawatt - 2 - Fly, shoot anyone alive with Rapid Fire.

Flicker and Lovelace return to the fore, back to the administrative building. While in transit, Lovelace puts on her forcefield and uses her techdevice she built to project a holographic overlay that makes her look like an average middle-aged man in a business suit. She has successfully blended in with all the other accountants running around.

Fitheal attacks. Having taken a bead on them from the last attack, and brings himself to bore on the other drone, careful not to strike Deca in the process. Skillfully landing his blow, the electricity races through the drone’s body, causing it to shudder and then collapse in a smoking heap.
    On the 1d4 shooting I roll 3; a miss by any standard. On the 1d6 Wild Die I roll 6, then a 6, then a 3. For a total of 15, -2 for melee shooting. This is a Hit and two raises! So you do your normal 2d6 Ranged Attack +1d6 from the raise.
    6+1+4 on the damage, 6 rerolls to 5, so 16 damage. This is a hit on their Toughness+armor and a raise. Kill!

Deca brings her staff to bore on the enemy, using one of it’s last charges. Having used a few before her capture – during her capture – and six today, she knew she was running low on its power. She brings her weapon fiercely into the creature, which rolls with her attack before the brush of the tip of the weapon discharges a blast of electricity, stunning it.
    On a 1d10, rolled 8; +2 for the weapon at 10, +1 for the electric portion at 11 – which is a raise. The Wild Die got a 3. Using the 8(+1 partial), you hit with no raise their Parry. On Str(1d12)+1 damage from the staff, you get 8+1 for 9. For the electrical shock, your 2d6 +1d6 raise nets 5+1+6+1, for 13. Your physical blow barely strikes it sufficiently to hurt it, while your electricity does a decent job of shocking the creature, leaving it Shaken.

Drone #3 is dead. Drone #4 is stunned.

Terawatt takes aim to finish off the stunned drone so that they can focus on the breakout. The blast touches the stunned creature, who’s system is still reverberating from its last electrical shock when Terawatt obliterates it with a massive blast from the sky, causing its armor to burst from its form as it is pulped by the amazing electrical current forced into its body.
    On a 1d10+1 or a 1d6+1, the highest result is an 8+1 for 9. Shooting into melee, this is reduced to a 7, just barely not a raise. Even so, your blast does 3d6 and risks another d6. I roll their Vigor of 1d8-2 against 4. Sadly, they pass it. Your 3d6 damage is rolled, then: 4+5+6…+6….+6…+5. Jesus Christ. 32! Ridiculous! Yeah, he’s dead.

With all of the drones smoking heaps, it seems like the group is able to relax for a moment and attend instead to the issue of what they came here for: freeing the prisoner… or maybe prisoners.

All their hope rests solely on an accountant.

+ Reply to thread