+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Necessary Evil: Mission 1

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Once at the bottom, Lovelace will help Terawatt break in.

Registered
    Feb 2011

( I am very confused: what are you guys breaking into? The administrative building? One of the dormitories for the facility staff?

To clarify / reiterate: There is a large metal fence surrounding the entire facility. You are on top of the largest building in the facility, their administrative building. It is in a square pattern, with a courtyard between them, with three other buildings, which are used as housing areas for K'tharen and V'sori. Up the road there is a two-story cement building that looks a lot like prison barracks. Up the road past that are the only gates to allow ingress or egress by road.

However, with all this information, there are also four V'sori-slaved humans called Drones in armor racing towards the administrative building, where floodlights have highlighted your villains. They are now basically forcibly between you and the open sprint to the other facility. )

As you all find your way to the ground from the three story roof, four Drones race towards you. "SURRENDER," a voice declares as the lead Drone, with a small red stripe on his black helmet, raises his hand towards them with purpose. Considering his hand has a large energy gun attached, it seems a viable threat.
    Last edited by Ramses; 17 Mar 2011 at 02:08 PM.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Can I blast them with a bolt of Lightning? Do I think this work disable or destroy them?

Registered
    Feb 2011

Deca jams her upper body into the prison suit, waiting on Flicker to pull her down to the ground. She's holding her electro-lance when they get down on the ground and are faced with the drones. It's at this point that she yanks out of the suit and turns on the drones, pulling away from the group so that she stands between them and the drones. "I'll try to hold them off." Help would be appreciated. Though... unnecessary. She smirks, prepared to activate her powers and take on the drones.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Changed my mind-- I don't want to be down there. I'll continue to hack into the network and maybe disable lights, any automatic defenses, or anything else. Maybe Flicker would like to bring Deca down?

Registered
    Feb 2011

( Appleciders, The Broadcast ability, which allowed you to remotely access all of the technology here, allowed you to perceive any sort of audio or video feeds; you can also manipulate them to falsify data. However, it does not allow you to control anything beyond audio or video feeds. If you want to hack into the actual mainframe, you need direct access to the computers and to make a Computer roll for Interface. It will, in this case especially, require hands-on access. The nearest would be inside the Administrative building, if that was your intent. )

Deca activates her Requires Activation abilities.

Terawatt can in fact attack them; obviously, between Deca grabbing her weapon, the Surrender option is already lifted off the table. Attacking is a rather wise course of action, given the obvious fact none of your are surrendering.

( I will wait for Malacandra, Appleciders' declared action since I specified otherwise, and CIAS's response to the current event before I adjudicate the conflict itself. )

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

OK, then I'll keep falsifying video feeds as I can to give a "Nothing to see here," keep these Drones' audio connections to their superiors dead silent, and maybe try to wreak some havoc with the larger response that's distracting from us. And keep my head down; maybe they haven't seen me yet.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Surrender? What a shocking suggestion. Let's amp it up a bit, an' I warn you - resistance truly is futile."

Activating his own electrical immunity, Terawatt takes to the air and begins blasting drones with lightning bolts, more than willing to let Deca kick ass hand to hand but making sure she doesn't get swamped by weight of numbers. His Ranged Attack fires two bolts in quick succession so if it looks like the first bolt of a pair has incapacitated or stunned a drone, he'll look to tag another one with his second. Chances are Deca's finishing moves are plenty good enough to do the rest.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2011

( There is no larger response distracting from us. That is happening miles away in the center of the city, where you were just evacuated from. It is nowhere nearby. Even remotely. However, you absolutely can make audio/video transmissions from these drones and videos con 'nothing to see here'. That action is noted. -scribbles down.- )

Registered
    Feb 2009

I may have a very large gun, but I am wearing no armour at all, so better not get hit.

While Deca and Terawatt provide a handy distraction, teleport behind the four drones and open fire from the blind side. Keep teleporting/firing to provide a really hard to hit moving target, while keeping a short distance away.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So my lightning attack or suitable equivalent as asked above?

Registered
    Feb 2011

I handled this, for now, myself. If this is acceptable for the future, let me know; otherwise, I can have you guys and I run through the dice, et cetera, of each action. I hope the assumptions I made were reasonable based on stated actions.

INITIATIVE (I pulled the cards, too):
    [CIAS] Flicker - 11 - Teleport behind them, fire on #2
    [WE?] Fitheal - 10 - Lightning blast #1
    Drone #1-#4 - 8 - #1 Shoot Tera, #3 shoot Deca, #4 shoot Deca
    [MALA] Terawatt - 5 - Fly, shoot one (#1) twice, or two once.
    [AC] Lovelace - 4 - Scramble feeds
    [CHAT] Deca - 3 - Activate powers, attack #4

Flicker reacts fastest, not unexpected for the man who can be in a million places at once; with a flash of light he appears behind the four drones who rushed headlong towards the villains, who had just hit the ground below the administrative building. The laser-sight on his HeroKiller Mark 2 catches one of them (arbitrarily the Second Drone, or Drone #2), and he breathes to steady his shot before he slowly pulls the trigger, the light on the back of the target. It punches through the creature’s chest, and the bullet bursts from its front, leaving an impressively sizable hole through its chest. The drone hits the ground, and even Flicker is likely to be impressed by the power and by the kick. It slams him hard, throwing his shoulder back after the shot, making it clear – not for the first time since he stole this gun – that he needs to build up a little muscle to handle this elephant gun better.
    (A Shooting roll of d4+1 and a Wild Die of d6 were rolled to hit a Target Number of 4, a -2 applied to your roll because I figured you wanted not to be in a charged-down range of these bastards. The Wild Die got a 6, and exploded, getting 4; this was 10-2=8, vs a TN of 4, giving you one raise; this raise gives your damage, a 3d6, a raise to a 4d6, for which you rolled 5, 4, 6 (exploding)+3 or 18 damage. The weapon’s AP of 3 ignored their armor and ravaged the drone, who’s Toughness was 8, for a raise from a Success to two Wounds; it killed it immediately. However, as the weapon to handle safely requires a d6 Strength and you have d4, I rolled 1d6 damage and got a 4; under your Toughness, but that sucker kicked like a mule – you will have a funny color bruise)

Fitheal focuses as they come, and channels the forces of nature to infuse him with power. He races to harness this power, so he can command it within time to make it useful, and as the arcane power seeps through his pores, nature’s blessings empowering him, he turns the full force of his new might on the one approaching fastest, unleashing his power. It catches the target, even in Fitheal’s rush to action, and seems to dissipate into the target’s armor. A grunt is issued from the Drone (arbitrarily, Drone #1), but it does not seem to pause at your attack.

(You are taking Multiple Actions to blast in the same round you channeled your power. The Spellcasting action is your 1d12+2, -2 for one additional attack. You rolled a 12, which exploded to a 6; I did not bother to roll the Wild Die before I rolled, figuring you’d want it for the shot, since you’re pretty likely to succeed on the ‘spell gain’ roll. This roll was to channel the Attack, Ranged power for Lighting blast. Assuming you use a safe level of Sorcery, you gain Attack, Ranged. It’s a Heavy Weapon, flat 2d6 damage, range 12/24/48.
    I roll then your Shooting die with the lightning you’ve channeled. It’s a d4+Wild Die of d6. Your highest roll is a 6, on the Wild Die, and a 1 when it's rerolled for 7. This hits even after a -2 for Multiple Actions. You roll your 2d6 and get 5 and a 2, for 7 damage. Comparing to its Toughness and Armor combined, it does not harm the Drone.
    On the plus side, you have access to the power without a multi-action penalty next round)

The Drones act quickly. The first one, just shot by Fitheal, aims its massive hand-cannon at Terawatt while the man flies into the air, sparking electricity and fires, striking the flying villain and sending them back.
    (Rolls 1d8 to shoot, gets a 7, -1 for Terawatt’s movement in flight and -2 for medium range, so 4. This barely hits, but does. It rolls 3, 5, 6 on its 3d6 damage; the last die explodes and gets a 2, making 16 damage. This attack, which bullets, hits your Torso and the damage compares to Terawatt’s Toughness+Armor (bullets) of 14 – it hits it and is not a raise. This makes Terawatt suffer the Shaken condition.
    Shaken: May only move half their pace (denied the -1 to enemy attack rolls from Flight now), and for one round can perform no other actions – including double pace or running. When it is your turn to act, you will make a Spirit roll to recover. I rolled this for you; you got a 4 on a d4, which is a success. The recovery will take your full action, but you will no longer be Shaken. Had you failed, you would have remained Shaken until next round and so on. If you had been Shaken and received another Shaken result, it would have been a Wound.
    Player characters can suffer up to three wounds before being knocked unconscious.)

The second drone laid dead; the third drone and fourth drone both attack the Atlantean Deca who races forward to confront them, one of them shooting as well, the other unleashing cybernetic claws. The shot strikes her hard, the bullet racing into her chest, which stops dead, not flattening, its kinetic power absorbed by her skin. The bullet drops, and the claw races forward, not even scraping the Atlantean’s skin.
    (Rolls 1d8 to shoot, gets a 7, but since gang up rules apply, it gains a +1 for a 8. Due to being in melee, they have to compare to your Parry [+1 for the lance), not a flat TN of 2. With a parry of 8, they hit Deca, but only barely. The roll of 3d6 damage is 4+5+5 or 14. This exceeds her Toughness of 10, but is kinetic damage of bullets, and gains a Raise. You roll your 1d12 Vigor to try to absorb the damage and do; you get a 5, barely succeeding, and soak the wound, which also causes you to ignore any Shaken result. Your Strength and Vigor both increase to 1d12+1, granting you no bonus to your Toughness, but it will increase your Toughness next round. This increase will remain for up to three rounds if no other wound is incurred. Absorption is an awesome power!
    The other one rolls 1d8 to attack, and gets a 3. Unsuccessful.)

Terawatt, due to the heavy impact of the powerful bullet striking his armor and bruising his ribs, is dazed, winded, unable to properly react or fire on the enemies who clearly did not appreciate the group’s refusal to surrender.
    (Shaken, recovering – forfeiting intended action. Sorry!)

Lovelace scrambles the helmet feeds relaying information, hopefully having done so fast enough to ensure additional guards do not join these ones.

Deca, shot by one and swung at by another, attacks the one with the vibro-claws (#4), sending her sparking electro-lance towards the creature violently. The lance is forced hard through the creature who’s claws grazed her skin, and the lance contacts the creature, who’s system sparks as she forces the electrical charge deep inside of it past its protection… and she doesn’t seem to be done just by shorting the thing out. Forcing her lance through the creature’s chest, it punches through the other side, viscera and bone exploding outward, before she whips the lance back, sending the crumpled, useless body to the ground, it’s chest torn wide open through the plated armor, her electro-lance still sparking, coated in the drone’s blood.
    (rolling 1d10+1d6 (Fighting+Wild Die) to attack, you gain a 9 on the first and a 2 on the second. Adding +2 due to the electrolance just for the electrical portion, the resulting roll is an 11 for the Electrical Burst and a 9 for the regular. 11 surpasses their Parry, and is also a raise, but only for the burst. Rolling her damage, Str[1d12+1]+[2d6 electrical]+1, with a raise of +1d6 electrical, or 3d6+1d12+1, results in a total of… d6s: 4, 4, 6. d12: 12. The d6 explodes into a 2, the d12 explodes into a 6. So 4+4+6+2+12+6+1+1… or freaking 36. Considering the roll’s damage, on average, is 7(1d12+1)+9(3d6 electrical)+1, or 17, this is pretty damned impressive as it is over twice the average damage… jeeze. Compared to their Toughness, with Armor, of 10… you are 26 over them, or 6 raises above them. The result is spectacular.)

The first Drone, and third Drone, are both doing fine; they are not in any way shaken emotionally from the sight of their friends dead, and poise to attack again.
    Last edited by Ramses; 19 Mar 2011 at 08:47 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Will my lightning have a chance to affect them or should I swap over to a different attack? DO I have any experience fighting drones and tech like this?

If I think it will work, I try again, else what other attack can I summon fast?

Registered
    Feb 2011

( Honestly, by game physics, you only had enough points from Super-Sorcery to buy the basic Ranged Attack, to make the power 'a blast', it only looks like lightning as far as game physics are concerned. It is as likely to work as anything. You could try doing some non-physical attack, as they are tough, by channeling for something else... say... I don't know... Mind Control?

But your ranged attack CAN work and CAN hurt them; you just need to roll very good on the damage roll, but it's very possible even if they are robust. Alternately, you can channel MORE power to your spell, by taking twice your power level in Ranged, Attack to gain Additional Damage, making it 3d6, not 2d6... an additional Spellcasting roll would be needed, but as long as your result is over 7 [4+3 borrowed points), you don't suffer any penalties from diving into deep, dark reserves of power.

Up to you! But any action to summon new powers WILL take an action to do, and so if you summon a new power or power change and then attack in the same turn, you suffer multi-action penalties again. )

Registered
    Feb 2009

I will attempt to just keeping blasting with what I have ready then.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Lovelace keeps her head down, hoping that the drones have not noticed her up here on the roof, and will keep altering the broadcasts to make sure that we're not noticed by the drones' headquarters. She'll falsify their voices in response if their bosses call to check in, too.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Unmoved by the horrible show of gore, Deca turns her attention to another drone, ready to spear this next one as well.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

As soon as I'm fully functional again, I'll continue with Plan A. They were darn lucky to beat me to the shot and hit me - if I'd been the one shooting they'd be laughing the other side of their face.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

(Aside: I think you're handling this the right way - it keeps things moving acceptably fast while giving us enough control over the goings-on.)
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Flicker is surprised the shot took out the Drone like that, but isn't going to complain. His shoulder certainly will complain later, say about 5 mins or so.

But having seen only Deca have any impact on them, he winces, raises the gun and pulls the trigger again aiming for Drone #1, hoping he doesn't break something.

Ramses, it's easiest if we just say what we will do and you do all the rolling. Fight's going fine btw.

Registered
    Feb 2011

INITIATIVE
    [CIAS] Flicker 11 - Shoots #1. AW SHIZ.
    [WE?] Fitheal 10 - Lightning blast #1
    Drone #1 & #3 8 - #1 Shoot Flicker, #3 shoot Deca
    [MALA] Terawatt 5 - Fly, shoot #3… twice? Or +#1
    [AC] Lovelace 4- Scramble feeds! Unsung hero right here, folks.
    [CHAT] Deca 3 - Attack #3.

The backlash from the shot had left Flicker’s shoulder bruised, but he was dedicated to getting this handled. The weapon was aimed once more and fired with effort. This time, the bruise smarts as he pulls the trigger, and he shoots wilder than he meant to, barely missing the Drone when his shoulder burns from the kickback of the powerful rifle.
    (Roll 1d8+1d6, Shooting and Wild Card, add +1 from Laser Sight. A 2 and a 4, modified to 3 or 5, but with the range difficulty of -2, you miss the shot’s basic TN of 4. A d6 is rolled for the kickback, and gets a 5, which is Flicker’s Toughness, the exact TN to do damage. Flicker is Shaken as a result. He will be trying to Recover on his next action.)

Meanwhile, the druidic terrorist Fitheal sets himself on tag-teaming the same target Flicker had, annihilating him with a wave of his eldritch sorcery! The electricity courses forward to the nearby Drone, who shakes and rattles as the electricity courses through him before striking the ground in an unconscious heap.
    (Rolling a 2 on your d4 and a 4 on your d6, the 4 hits with the Ranged Attack. We then compare Damage to Toughness; you get a 6 and a 1, the second six acing into another 6, the third six acing into a 3; a total of 16 points of damage. Comparing to the creature’s toughness, you do enough damage to get a Raise, which knocks it out instantly.)

Drone 1 being unconscious, Drone 3 continues mission unphased by his colleague’s take-downs and shoots at Deca, who he is still engaged in melee combat with, hoping to take her down, certain she is the primary threat. The gun points straight into her gut and he pulls the trigger; once more the blast should hurt, the bullet should tear through her, but it stops against her skin, and seems to invigorate her, a rush of nerves visible in her skin as she repurposes the power.
    (Rolled an 8 on his d8. Explodes for a 3, getting a total of 11 to hit. This is four more than her Parry, giving him a Raise on his damage. Roll 4,1,3,6 on the 3d6+1d6. Last 6 aces into a 2. For a total of 16 damage. This is a raise over her Toughness of 10, giving her a Wound. Rolls her Vigor to see if she can absorb it; she rolls a 3 on her d12, augmented by +1 on her die, making it a 4; she absorbs the wound with no ill effects and gains a +1 step to Strength and Vigor, giving her d12+2 in both, increasing her Toughness to 11 now.)

Seeing an opening as the thing leaves itself confused and distracted, in melee with Deca, Terawatt unleashes on the target, thankful for the chance to strike back. It’s a tough shot, making sure not to hit Deca, but he lets loose on the creature. His aim is true, revenge for the attack burning in him, and the armored and flying electrical supervillain pours his trademark blast into the enemy, watching its body jerk and spasm, hearing soft ‘splats’ inside its helmet as membranes burst, before it strikes the ground. Making sure, he tags the other who went down, and then waits for movement.
    (-2 for range, -2 for firing into melee, +1 for flanking, +1 for your Favored Weapon… so -2! Roll an 8 on the 10, a 2 on the 6, so going with the 8. -2 is 6, it still hits easily, but no raise. Damage is then rolled; but first, I check their Vigor. They need to make a TN 4 Vigor roll with a d8, and are -2 due to being cybernetic. They roll a 5, knocked down to a 3, and so take an additional d6 of damage due to your Electricity Elemental Trick. So rolling 4d6 damage, one die aces; it aces again; it rolls 5. A total of 26 points of damage. Compare to their toughness, the guy is effing toast. You then blast the other one to make sure, and yep, it’s sure as hell dead for sure now.)

Lovelace continues the feed interference, until the signals go down; Lovelace continues to transmit as if the signals are operational, so the squads distant are unaware that the four have been taken down at all. Life-saving work, as they now have time to recover and get their bearings.

Deca is denied her final kill, and the bloodthirsty Atlantean warrior is left bereft of satisfying her powerful killing urge.

The group is now looking down at four cybernetic corpses, some of whom you all killed – and some of you were never particularly used to the whole murder business, notably Terawatt and Lovelace; Terawatt did what he had to survive and Lovelace worked on the roof, but the gruesome deaths are not probably wholly forgotten by them; even if there were more important things to focus on for the moment.

(Combat ends. Go about socializing; as long as Lovelace keeps the feed going, you are in no rush to go anywhere on the grounds. Another party is likely to scout sooner or later, since their threat was known to be here, but no one is hurrying to this sector. You all stand in front of the administration building; beyond it are three residential buildings for the V’sori and K’tharen. Towards the front gate is what is clearly the prison and, beyond that, the front gate. Feel free to also alter feeds further if you like. Your power to mess with! Hah.)
    Last edited by Ramses; 21 Mar 2011 at 06:26 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

( Good job on the fast takedown. You guys are ballers.

Flicker recovers from Shaken pretty shortly. I rolled well for you. )

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Crap, crap, crap, that hurts" says Flicker trying to rub some life back into his shoulder.

"On second thoughts, how come you aren't scattered into pieces across the ground, it shot you at point blank range?", he says addressing Deca.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fítheal will immediately use a spell to locate Mindjack in case Lovelace runs into obstacles or delays. Redundancy is good if we can afford it.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Rather than congratulating anyone else on their kills, Deca stands over the body of the third drone killed by Terawatt, an expression of deep displeasure on her face. That one was hers. Her fingers grip her electro-lance even more tightly, reigning in that murderous need that begs to be unleashed on the same person who denied her the final kill.

She doesn't bother to look at Flicker when he poses a question to her. "Absorption. It makes me very hard to kill," she finally says and looks up in time to flash him a malicious smile, in case anyone here is thinking of doing her in after they find Mindjack.

"Are we going in here, or in there?" She says, pointing to the building they're huddled in front of and then the one they can barely see out by the gate, the prison.

She seems not the least bothered by the gore that still coats the electro-lance and her own arms.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"And here was I thinking it was just killer abs from working out." Flicker meets her gaze with a cool one of his own. "You still haven't told me your name, you know. If we are going to be working together, it may help."

Turning back to the building."This place is the admin. It should say where Mindjack isin that prison block over there, if someone can get the info out, but it may be just as easy to go and ask in the prison anyway. Terawatt, can you open these doors. Fitzy, can you fly up there and bring our hacker friend down and see if she can find the info in here."

"As for you", Flicker says turning back to the blood covered Atlantean, "how do you fancy the pair of us taking a look at the prison over there and getting the lowdown?"

Registered
    Feb 2011

"Deca. Call me Deca," She finally replies. She doesn't expect they're going to be working together much. Chances are that before this day is through every one of them is going to die. Still, for the little time they've got left, she might as well give them her name.

Again there's the brutal smile from the Atlantean. The prison will be heavily guarded. At the very least, she won't be denied blood again. "I fancy."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

There are two ways I could open these doors. If they have a mundane lock then I can pick it. If they're electrically operated then I can rip out the wires with my bare hands and laugh at the pretty display of sparks. But if neither approach looks promising then Lovelace might be a better bet.

And I ain't no shrinkin' virgin. I killed for money and I was good at it. Guess I can get used to killin' for no money if I got to, but drones ain't gonna hit the spot; it ain't their fault I got no retirement comin'.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"Let's duck into this admin building for a moment. We'll hide the bodies, and I'll see if I can pull up building schematics, maybe turn off some security functions, get us really prepared to break in and break out quickly."

Registered
    Feb 2011

Unfortunately, to keep the feed fabricated, with vital signs affirmative and all the other peculiarities needed to transmit that no-enemy-contact-is-made, much less that no enemies have trounced and killed them all, Lovelace is able to do little else but communicate with the group while the deception is made. It keeps them safe, and is no small task.

Fitheal tries to use some sort of magic to track Mindjack; but as you've never met him and have no item of his, the best two methods are either to scout for him using available technology - taking Broadcast (1 point), or you can take Telepathy (2 points) with Broadcast (1 point) to contact all minds within the area; however, you can't be selective of who it reaches.

Between you all, you manage to get into the administrative building, where cameras actually are paging through the cells regardless. It flashes through the various areas, and if you spend time to do so, you might get a glance at Mindjack; moreover, the computer is likely to have information on his cell.

Do Deca and Flicker break off to go to the prison?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm going to assume in the couple of mins or so everyone knows everyone else's name by now.

"If anyone has a passing knowledge of computers, now would be a good time to say so. You three stay here and see what you can find about Mindjack's whereabouts and then try and contact us. I'll leave you to figure that one out. Deca, let's go take a look at the prison in advance. Just a recce, no disturbances if we can possibly help it. It's better to not let them know we are there until we absolutely have to, or even not at all."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fítheal will use his JOT skill to try and get information and especially location on Mindjack.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So what do Flicker and Deca find heading across to the prison?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

While Flicker and Deca are scouting, Terawatt keeps his eyes out for anyone else stumbling by - Lovelace and Fítheal could do with some firepower covering them.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2011

( No changes, AC? Chatelaine? I'll let you think about it up until 'COB' today. )

Registered
    Feb 2011

(Should we describe them heading over to the prison?)

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Nah. Lovelace has got to keep up her Broadcast, and that precludes some of the other activities. She'll assume that this bunch would have finished their sweep and begin Broadcasts that show them walking calmly back to their barracks, where they will request permission to power down.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Flicker and Deca will hopefully be heading across to the prison at a fast pace trying to stay out of sight of the guardhouse at the front and looking for a door in.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Terawatt watches the door to the administration building while Fitheal moves inside to look through the information there.

The computer is asleep, and when woken up, has a password prompt. You are unable to figure it out right away, especially as the prompt is clearly not in English but in V'soran. There are file cabinets nearby. They are locked. Opening them reveals some folders. There is also a security monitoring screen that allows one to page through it, and is already cycling through video feeds, which overlook the cells in the building across the way. Do you try the computer again, check through folders, or try to match Mindjack off of the screen?

You know what Mindjack looks like from before the takeover, a very bold criminal of Star City with his face often displayed on news reports. You would recognize him the moment you saw him; tall and lean with sandy blond hair and hazel eyes and a constant smile with perfect teeth and a wild look to his eyes. (You made your Common Knowledge roll - you did not make your hacking roll)

Lovelace continues to falsify feeds, the unsung hero of awesomeness for her actions.

Deca and Flicker head over to the prisons. Since no mention of teleport was made, I imagine you two are hoofing it? It's a safer bet anyway; after-all, if you teleport blind, you might end up in a bad situation. You both move stealthily, or attempt to. Moving together, Deca subtly slides through the night towards the other camp; when they are about to slide past an opening in the wall that would lead to the courtyard for the prison, Deca sees an entire Drone squad on the premises the moment her head peeks past. She ducks back, but not before Flicker can make the same mistake.

He does not see them before they see him; and see him they do, exposed to them as he stands in the break in the wall, the prison courtyard just beyond, and four more drones racing towards him. (You both roll Stealth; Agility -2 for untrained, plus a Wild Die, each. Deca rolled a 9, -2 to 7, for her Stealth; Flicker rolled a 1 on his Wild Die and a 2 on his Agility; his Agility was a 0, his Wild Die was bad. On the Notice rolls to see what they could, Deca rolled a 6 on her Notice d6, then a 6, then a 1, for 13. Noticed and two raises. Flicker, on the other hand, rolled a 4, -2 for untrained Notice, so he rolled 2 and saw nothing. He was caught, unaware, as the drone squad sees him.)

What do you do?
    Last edited by Ramses; 26 Mar 2011 at 06:31 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

"Get back, you idiot!" Deca whispered in an urgent hush to Flicker. "Can't you see the drones?" She's got herself plastered with her back against the wall but doesn't bother yanking Flicker away. First rule of villainy, watch out for Number One.

Of course Number Two here caught the attention of the drones that were now rushing towards them. He might as well put up a sign that said Here we are! She had only a moment to rub her hand across her face. The drones were coming at them now. She used the unelectrical part of her lance to nudge Flicker out of the way. Her blood lust hadn't yet abated and she would greet the drones where she stood.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Flicker reacts immediately, although not knowing what he is reacting to and he heeds Deca's warning by teleporting 10 ft backwards to where they have just come from.

Your dice really like me, don't they Ramses

Registered
    Feb 2009

Having teleported backwards and seen Deca plastered against the side of the wall. He hurries forward to join and whispers quietly, "What did I miss? What drones?"

Registered
    Feb 2011

What drones?

These drones.

INITIATIVE
    [CHAT] Deca
    - Ace - Kill #1
    Drone #1-4 - Ten - Attack
    [CIAS] Flicker - Five - No action. Did not see guards, surprised this round

The drones race forward from out of the prison proper, rushing for our villains without concern for their livelihood; coming around the corner, they are immediately met by Deca, who was waiting for the first person to turn around the corner so she could welcome them. The other members of their siege were unaware, or at least distant to realizing the threat, leaving the teleporter and the Atlantean alone to face the threats.

Deca has unfortunately weakened by the time this happened, her adrenaline still high but her stolen power faded. She had kept her powers active, however, knowing she’d need them soon and she was right.

As they round the corner where Deca and Flicker dropped back, she forced her electro-lance into one of them, hoping to skewer him. The lance is stabbed into the drone’s chest, under the reticulated breastplate, and deep inside of him; when the electricity surges through him, the drone seizes and its soft tissue explode within its helmet, leaving a sticky residue within, as the thing slumps down, uselessly.
    (Rolled a 9 on the d10 Fighting die to hit; a 2 on the Wild Die. Using the 9, adding +1 for the electric touch attack portion of the damage only. She hits them, the touch attack gets a raise, giving her a +d6 to damage. On the damage roll, rolled your Str (1d12) and got 9, rolled 2d6 for your electro-lance and got 8, rolled extra damage and got 4, and add +1 for the weapon itself. No exploding aces. 9+8+4+1=22. That is 12 over their Toughness + Armor. The lance tears through them easily.)

Flicker had distanced himself with his teleport, and presented little threat. Little threat compared to the dangerous Atlantean who the remaining three drones move to eliminate. No offer of surrender is made, considering her opening gambit.

The first drone lay dead, her lance still imbedded in his flesh. The second drone surges to take down Deca, seeking to brush his hand against her to stun her with an electric pulse from his systems. She manages to easily deflect him from the contact.
    (Fighting roll of d8; rolled a 4. He gets +1 for touch attack. Her parry is 7, since she’s already used her staff [which would grant her +1] – still enough to not be hit.)

The third drone is more interested in her immediate death, and fires upon her with his rifle. The bullet makes instant contact with the Atlantean’s body.
    (Shooting roll of d8; rolled a 6. -2 for firing into melee to avoid his colleague. Still makes a 4, which from distance, hits her, only able to use one of his charges due to the movement it took to get to her. Rolled a 15 for damage off of 3d6; 4, 6, 2, and 3 from the 6 re-roll. Rolled Vigor to soak; the wound is soaked, giving you +1 Str, +1 Vigor for 1d12+1 in both.)

The fourth closes the distance to try to tear into you with a power claw.
    (Fighting roll of d8; rolled an 8. Re-rolled a 5. This is 13, and a raise over her Parry of 7. Add +1d6 to his damage roll. Roll damage, Str 1d10+d6+extra d6. Rolled a 3 and a 4 on the d6s, and a 9 on the d10; for 16. This is a raise over her Toughness of 10. Roll her Vigor to soak; rolled a 6, +1, for 7; this soaks the Wound. She now gains a +1 step to Strength and Vigor, for 1d12+2 to both.)

It is fairly obvious they are probably signaling for help; without Lovelace here to block their signal, or aware it’s being made, you are unlikely to remain alone for long.
    Last edited by Ramses; 30 Mar 2011 at 05:31 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fítheal will head over to help, readying a power energy bolt on the way. When he sees a target he will blast it.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 31 Mar 2011 at 07:28 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

It will take a bit to get over there. 2 turns. They made a considerable distance. But you can have channeled for a blast, absolutely.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Lovelace will drop her faked broadcasts; the cat's out of the bag now. She'll start hacking into the system in earnest now; first, to find Mindjack, second, to start disabling cameras, communications, and even any vehicles, transit, and automatic weapons systems that she can find.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

To the air then - nap-of-the-earth flying and using buildings for cover and concealment where possible, and I'll take any long-range shots I get on the assumption that my aim is better than the enemy's. Electric immunity up, in case it becomes relevant.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Oh, those drones."

While the drones have all concentrated on Deca, Flicker will teleport behind them and point blank drone 3 from behind with the HK MK2.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Having missed something above.
    In the short time I had before hearing the gunfire, I would be trying to match Mindjack off the screen.

Registered
    Feb 2011

"Yeah these drones!" Deca shouted back at him as she rammed her electro-lance into one. The others attacked, she flinched at their hits, her body absorbing them and she could feel herself grow in strength.

Deca wasn't the sort to ask for help even when she needed it and right now she didn't need it. She quickly turned on the next drone.

+ Reply to thread