+ Reply to thread

Thread: Japanese Earthquake and Warnings

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Japanese Earthquake and Warnings

There was a magnitude 8.9 earthquake hitting Tokyo this morning with a 30 foot tsunami and there are tsunami warnings across the pacific due to the magnitude of the quake.

Story details here.

Warnings and advisories here
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Yeah. Pretty terrifying. They say that only because of where it hit that the damage wasn't downright apocalyptic. Jeeze.

I hope the after-effects won't have as high a cost of life as the last tsunami that had the world watching.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

So far it looks like Hawaii is OK. The tsunami was due to hit in the last 20 minutes.

The damage in Japan looks terrible.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well the local news here seems to be having a field day. I'm a few blocks away from the beach, but they say the wave is only going to be 3 feet which ... doesn't sound that bad.

But I'm a Midwesterner - what do I know from tsunamis. The footage from Japan looks just awful.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Also - local newscasters are repulsive, panic-mongering creeps.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Last reports I saw said the wave would be 6ft hitting west coast america.

Orual, if the area is flat, could I suggest an inland visit?

Also, it looks like Sendai, the city nearest the quake, may not have much of it left anymore.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The video footage of the wave sweeping over (some part of) Japan was horrifying.

There's no big wave like you'd expect, just a massive, seemingly slow-motion, wash of water that sweeps everything with it. I only caught this as I was leaving the house, so I didn't have a lot of context for what I was seeing,
    but some area of Japan is certainly devastated. Horrible.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

CIAS - I'm at work, which is 10 blocks more inland from my house (which is ~8 blocks from the beach). We didn't get any official evacuation warnings, though a nearby town did (Pacifica).

I'm supposed to report to work in case of an emergency, so I figured that here is where I should be regardless.

I saw a bunch of people clustered up at the beach as I was walking to work though - those people are twits. As are the surfers in Santa Cruz.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Orual - stay safe anyway.

On another more depressing note, it appears one of the Japanese nuclear power stations did not shut down properly, has problems with the cooling and they have evacuated the nearby area. So far no radiation has leaked, but I hope they can fix it.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Orual - stay safe anyway.

On another more depressing note, it appears one of the Japanese nuclear power stations did not shut down properly, has problems with the cooling and they have evacuated the nearby area. So far no radiation has leaked, but I hope they can fix it.
    If anyone recalls the Kobe quake of 15 or so years ago, you may recall learning that Japan was not nearly so "quake proof" as they had hoped they were. I recall "quake proof" raised highway ramps laying on their side.

Here's hoping these nuke plants are better able to withstand a shaker.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    The Sky News presenter seemed a bit crestfallen that something horrific hadn't happened in NZ, Nauru, Hawaii etc.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

DP
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 11 Mar 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

There are reports that boats have been destroyed in Santa Cruz harbor, and Crescent City harbor was destroyed. Luckily, Crescent City was evacuated in time.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    The Sky News presenter seemed a bit crestfallen that something horrific hadn't happened in NZ, Nauru, Hawaii etc.
    You could see the disappointment in the newsanchors' eyes when they were talking the the San Francisco emergency-preparedness guy and he was saying that no evacuations were necessary, the Great Highway closing was just precautionary, and the tsunami wave wasn't actually going to be any higher than a normal high tide.

All the while showing pictures from Japan. And blinking 'GET TO HIGHER GROUND' in bright yellow letters. Disgraceful.

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    There are reports that boats have been destroyed in Santa Cruz harbor, and Crescent City harbor was destroyed. Luckily, Crescent City was evacuated in time.
    The early warning systems really are impressive.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Donations can be made the following ways:

https://american.redcross.org/site/D...rm1&df_id=5052

Text ASIA to 30333, which will donate $5.00 USD.
    Text JAPAN to 80888 will donate $10.00 USD.

sidenote: I told an asshole who seemed concerned about Japan this information.

Their excuse was that Japan was a rich country and did not need relief money, and to donate to the "hobos next door" if I wanted to help someone.

I want to punch assholes in their face.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well the local news here seems to be having a field day. I'm a few blocks away from the beach, but they say the wave is only going to be 3 feet which ... doesn't sound that bad.

But I'm a Midwesterner - what do I know from tsunamis. The footage from Japan looks just awful.
    The main thing with tsunamis is not wave height but wave length. The wave might be only 6 ft. tall but 500 yds. long and coming in at the speed of an airliner.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

+ Reply to thread