14 82.35%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Have you ever killed someone?

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Have you ever killed someone?

Have you?

Pretty sure we're not going to get any yes answers, but I do wonder what percentage of the population has actually taken a life.

I wonder, too, if the average person that has killed someone has killed more than one person. Military action would drive up that kills per individual number a little.

I do know someone who killed a person while driving drunk.

I also knew someone who killed herself.

Pretty sure I don't know anyone else who has taken a life.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Okay, I accidentally hit yes. I would thank a mod to correct that.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

All the mods are dead now, you bastard.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Oh. Crap. Then I need to change my answer back.

-Jim Rockford

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    Man we have two AWOL mods anyway. Zuul should probably remove them from the mod list.
    Pepperlandgirl and Allwalker really don't post of visit much any more.

We have two admins both on vacations I believe and Sarah is the only mod.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not dead, I'm just resting....
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Holy shit, so I'm in charge? Who's the that let that happen?

Anyway, I'm not sure poll answers can be changed. I could close this thread and you could start a new one, if you want. Or, you could just be known as the Mellophant Murderer, it's up to you.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 10 Mar 2011 at 06:46 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Yes. I've killed at least two people. I consider a third largely my fault as well.

I shot one.

The other was a mistake during surgery.

The third should have been admitted, but we thought they were faking their heart attack symptoms, because they have done so before. They died two hours later.

Registered
    Mar 2009

My college dormmate was involved in an accident that killed five people. Not his fault, as i understand it, but he never went above the speed limit after that. Took him 12 hours to get from LA to Northern California.

A friend of mine (close friend of another college roommate) was brutally murdered. I didn't meet the killer, but I had seen pictures of him. (Actually he was never charged, as there was insufficient evidence, but he was jailed for another crime later, then years later found to be using an assumed name and has since almost certainly fled the country).

Registered
    Feb 2011

For the record, I was in Iraq when my kills took place. I don't consider war to be a viable "excuse" to murder and bear shame for it, but so you guys can at least pretend like social stigmas allow for exceptions...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, geez, Ramses, of course there are exceptions! You were in life-and-death situations, and that's something most of us never face. I know you carry these things with you, but none of us thinks any less of you, I promise.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 11 Mar 2011 at 03:54 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    Holy shit, so I'm in charge? Who's the that let that happen?

Anyway, I'm not sure poll answers can be changed. I could close this thread and you could start a new one, if you want. Or, you could just be known as the Mellophant Murderer, it's up to you.
    Nah, let's leave it. Notice to everyone: I have (not yet) killed anyone.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Sep 2010

I've never killed someone. I've been involved in culling and slaughtering animals and even that makes me sad. Couldn't even pull the trigger when I went hunting. Maybe in a life or death situation I could kill another person, but I'm not sure.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A human being, no. A stray cat that darted into the street in front of me, yes, and that was bad enough.

Registered
    Feb 2011

I was hoping some other veteran type might pipe up. I feel sort of awkward now...

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have not killed someone, but I was prepared to in self-defense. My attacker was choking me and something switched over in my brain to survival mode. I would have beaten him to death if I had to (when he curled into the fetal position I took my opportunity to escape) and if I'd had a weapon he would be dead.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sorry I was Navy and found a creative but simple way to avoid even shooting a gun in boot camp. Thankfully I have never hurt anyone with a car and the most dangerous weapon I have ever used was a bow. I did hit a squirrel once though, that was pretty terrible.

But killing someone in combat is not something to feel awkward about. We're just low on combat vets here. As long as humans cannot learn to live in peace, we need brave volunteers to do the fighting. I chose to serve in a different way but respect your choice. I've never been a pacifist, I just don't basically trust myself with a gun.

As to medical, well sometimes Scrubs was more honest then any other medical show. I am going to paraphrase (badly) what I recall Dr. Cox telling the Interns, "You're all going to kill patients, it will happen, you need to be able to accept that to save the rest." What he was trying to convey is every Doctor makes mistakes, fails to read tricky symptoms in time, does not make the decision before it is too late. Medical is not an exact science and honest mistakes not only happen but sadly lead to death sometimes where they might not have had to. So what I am saying is, death and the medical field largely go together.

PixieBob

I get this question a lot for some reason. It's not polite to ask it.

However, I am going to kill that small child shown in my avatar if he does not stop choking me. But I'm the merciful type. He'll be unconscious before he realizes what happened.
    Last edited by PixieBob; 27 Mar 2011 at 05:13 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

I feel the same way, PixieBob. I have done a lot of lectures for schools of various age ranges about Iraq, the military, et cetera. And invariably, some kid asks "have you ever killed someone?" with excitement in their voice for the video game awesomeness that is the end of human life.

This poll, while fairly bracing, I felt was a little more mature; an inquiry into life experiences, an aggregate interest. I thought it was worth a touch of honesty for.

I never answer those kids, and change the topic to explain that such is not the goal, so on so forth.

However, a few months back, someone found out what I did overseas; they asked it. Some college kid, at a party. And I was not quite as polite to him as I was to the children.

PixieBob

Yea Ramses...this topic is starting to worry me so I'm gong to be more forthcoming. I have killed someone. It was stupid of the guy and it didn't have to happen. I was a mere court officer serving him with civil papers...a damn lawsuit over money. It was a bad area and racial tensions were high 30 years ago. He went inside and closed his door after I offered him a copy of the papers. This usually means that the confrontation is over. But I misjudged him. That was my fault. As I was walking back to my car, he came back out and shot me, fortunaely with a cheap .25 auto. Skipping ahead, I held him in my arms as he bleed out. His last words were simpy "why". I said "I really don't know." I don't know if he heard me or not. It was what TV calls a "good shoot" but I have to live with it anyway. He didn't deserve it and, as with many people, he just didn't think. It was not a good shoot. They never are.

So is this what you wanted, Oliveloaf, my friend?

I'll leave it to the moderators to delete this if it's a bit too real and no hard feelings.

Registered
    Feb 2011

I don't think Oliveloaf "wanted" that, per se, PixieBob. That infers that he's got a yen, a craving, for human suffering and pain. I think that's an unfair judgment to make on this.

Oliveloaf has posted a large swath of interesting topics to ask about significant variations in people's lives; whether or not you can swim, for instance. All manner of things that some take for granted, and it has actually been fairly insightful, the taxi-question notwithstanding.

While I, truly, wholly, understand the pain it is to dredge up that kind of memory, PB, I think it's unfair to levy that kind of rubber-necking behavior to our friend Olive. It's taken for granted that most haven't; and as he never has, I also suspect he does not probably get the full weight of guilt and sharpness that comes with these experiences. I think it was a question asked honestly, with fair intention, with an interest in getting a better grasp and picture of the variation in human experience amongst us on this board.

On the other hand, perceiving that experience, and some honesty amongst members, I think he did "want" that, yes. For that I don't blame him.

In the future, disclosure of any kind is pretty optional, man; I'm sure we appreciate the trust shown and it's a sad story to know you've endured. If you don't want to share, don't feel obligated even if others have not. My only point above was that it's wrong to ask that question when you hope the answer is 'yes'; it's just bracing to ask that question when it's intended with a valid purpose.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by PixieBob View post
    Yea Ramses...this topic is starting to worry me so I'm gong to be more forthcoming. I have killed someone. It was stupid of the guy and it didn't have to happen. I was a mere court officer serving him with civil papers...a damn lawsuit over money. It was a bad area and racial tensions were high 30 years ago. He went inside and closed his door after I offered him a copy of the papers. This usually means that the confrontation is over. But I misjudged him. That was my fault. As I was walking back to my car, he came back out and shot me, fortunaely with a cheap .25 auto. Skipping ahead, I held him in my arms as he bleed out. His last words were simpy "why". I said "I really don't know." I don't know if he heard me or not. It was what TV calls a "good shoot" but I have to live with it anyway. He didn't deserve it and, as with many people, he just didn't think. It was not a good shoot. They never are.

So is this what you wanted, Oliveloaf, my friend?

I'll leave it to the moderators to delete this if it's a bit too real and no hard feelings.

Not clear on why you would want me to feel some sort of regret for asking. Sorry about the trauma in your life. Thanks for sharing a story that has no doubt shaped your life.

-Jim Rockford

PixieBob

Actually Olive loaf is one of my favorite posters so far. It was a long time ago and I am ok with it as much as one can be. I had no choice. I was aware of that at the time and still am.

I apologize to Olive Loaf and anyone else I may have offended. I'm new here and still can't quite figure this place out...but it's fascinating. I think he just accidentally hit a nerve. I'm sure he and everyone else understands. I just felt that people needed to know that it's not like on TV where you kill several bad guys, fill out your paperwork, get a beer with your buddies and show up the next day ready to do it all over again.

re reading, I can see that my comment about his (assumed on my part) desire was out of line.

Hope you'll accept my apology, Oliveloaf.

Registered
    Mar 2009

No apology needed.

Good luck trying to figure this place out.

-Jim Rockford

PixieBob

well...I HAVE figured out that everyone here is highly intelligent. I have a registered IQ of 162...too low to join mensa, but still smarter than the average bear..uh...cat.

So there are people here who know the "Lonely and Lofty heights of the Seers and the tragic lives they live, floating in a supposed paradise of knowledge and understanding..yet a hell to be sure."

Damn...that really sounded good, didn't it?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mensa's standards are much lower then 162. Also what is a registered IQ?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Mensa's standards are much lower then 162. Also what is a registered IQ?
    This isn't like the International Star Registry, is it?

I spent like $75 to have my inseam listed with the Global Wardrobe Registry. Turns out they just write the number down on an index car and glue it inside a locker at Dulles Airport.
    Last edited by Oliveloaf; 28 Mar 2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Sarahfeena is a Satanist.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

You always were a sucker, Olive.

PixieBob

well..after reviewing the subject on the internet, I see that they are now smart enough to understand that raw IQ is not a good predictor of anything but a sour outlook on life and the certainty the the person will end up spending a lot of time in bars.

40 years ago, if you scored high, they sent the info to some government agency that seems to no longer exist.

I find that strange. I was not aware that ANY government agency ever went out of existence.

I do remember getting chewed out a lot in high school because I was "not working up to my potential and I was wasting a very rare gift of God". I can't really discuss the gifts I was actually getting but I was raised in a Catholic grade school and then went to a Catholic Military academy and prep school for boys.

The motto in general at both places was "You are on the Jesus Team...Take one for the team."

Registered
    Jul 2013

I almost near killing. I met with accident six month before, i was drunk and driving, i hit with a girl. She also got injured. Now i feel pity for myself, how irresponsible am i.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I almost near to killing. I met with accident six month before, i was drunk and driving, i hit with a girl. She also got injured. Now i feel pity for myself, how irresponsible am i.

best omaha dui lawyers |dui nebraska
    Last edited by georgegibson; 16 Jul 2013 at 05:02 AM.

+ Reply to thread