+ Reply to thread

Thread: Recommend me a laptop

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Recommend me a laptop

My Mac iBook G4 is seriously on its last legs. It makes tragic chunka-chunka noises and the battery is dead. This is unsurprising, since it's 6 years old.

It's probably not fiscally responsible of me to get another Mac, even though I much prefer them. So I would like to know what the good, reasonably-priced PC laptops are. I'm looking for something between $500-700.

I don't need anything fancy - I'll just use it for internetting, word processing, and watching DVDs and stuff.

A desktop is a no-go. I don't have a desk to put one on.
    Last edited by Orual; 01 Mar 2011 at 12:50 PM.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Lenova (Thinkpads) have some good solid workhorses. This is the old IBM line. They have plenty in the range. Shoot for a Win 7 Home 64 bit Op system and 4 gigs of memory will be fine. Should be plenty in the price range you listed. The rest of the computer will come down to weight vs. screen size.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Much as I hate to say this, I've been using a Dell for years. Always found them reliable, capable of taking several bangs and cheaper than the rest.

If you aren't looking for anything fancy they are worth a look, especially if you buy direct from them.

I can't believe I'm shilling for Dell of all people
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Much as I hate to say this, I've been using a Dell for years. Always found them reliable, capable of taking several bangs and cheaper than the rest.

If you aren't looking for anything fancy they are worth a look, especially if you buy direct from them.

I can't believe I'm shilling for Dell of all people
    We were a Dell shop. We only moved away in the last year or so as the laptops especially were not reliable on a larger basis. We found Dell's quality seemed to be slipping. We also felt the servers were not the best. I still generally like the PCs but the last time I bought one for myself, I went away from Dell also. This was in December. The prior Dell was a little touchy.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm still looking around, but I don't want to get caught in a tragic, computer-less state.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've always been fond of Toshiba laptops.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm on an Acer. For price, they're really hard to beat, and I've been running mine ragged for about a year. Still no troubles.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Will any of these options be likely to last me six years?

Registered
    Feb 2009

6 years is a long life for a laptop. I would again recommend the Think Pad for the durability. Dells just don't last 6 years in my experience.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd stay away from the Dells, especially on the low end and if you want durability.

Acer does seem to be pretty good for the price from the people I know who have them.

Toshiba and Lenovo are probably the best for reliability in this range, although for Lenovo the it's the pricier Thinkpads that are a lot better.

If you decide you'd rather stick with a Mac, check out Low End Mac for refurb/used deals. Apple's own refurb page occasionally pops up with some decent deals.

Certainly you're not going to get anything near as decent of technical specs as you would with a newer PC laptop, but it should be a matter of what you use it for and the experience you want with it that determines your decision.

+ Reply to thread