+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Necessary Evil RPG Plotting

Registered
    Feb 2011

Sorry guys. I have episodes from time to time. Issues that are not necessary to discuss here. I did not intend to leave you all hanging. It was fairly unavoidable.

I am sane and returned.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No probs, good to hear you are better again.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2011

That electro-lance was fierce. I did some errata checking.

I should be handling the Str+1 weapon damage, and the 2d6 electrical damage, separate. Comparing each damage total to the toughness.
    This will considerably weaken it. And will be how I handle it, and similar effects, in the future.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Any chance of an update, Ramses?

Registered
    Feb 2011

Yep. Sorry. I'm just having issues with finals and other stuff. So sorry. This'll be back at full tilt soon.

Registered
    Feb 2009

What Exit? - just a note about your character. You took super sorcery which means you can duplicate almost any of the powers mentioned.

You could try Malfunction on the locks. Matter Control or Decay on the walls or even Explode next to the building

Pick something and have some fun.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Bump for GM Update please.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

So, uh.... What's up? Are we waiting for something?

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

One last bump before we let this die. I really enjoyed playing this, and if there's any way to continue I'd love to. Ramses hasn't posted in over a month.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've contacted him and asked him to come back. I'd really like to continue the game.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Aww...

I'd like to too. There was not much interest last I tried to get it going forward. But if people are down, I'm down to.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Woohoo!
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh definitely interested. I mean it's not like we have escaped yet have we

Registered
    Feb 2009

Soooo. when do we start?

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Looking at the thread, it looks like there's enough to move forward as soon as Ramses is ready.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

So is there any way to get this moving again? A clean restart, even, if we have to move out inactive players and swap in fresh ones? I'm really fascinated by both the concept and the characters; I really do hate to see this die. Or if Ramses isn't up to running the game, maybe another could do it?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I would really like to see this game start again as well. Is there any chance?

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Well, I'm out of contact for the next couple days. CIAS, I'd be willing to work with you to drum up support for another shot at this, even if Ramses bows out and we need to find a different person to run it or some new players.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, I'm happy to help with that.

If we could restart it, would anybody else be interested in joining in?

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

I'm not sure if anyone else reads the set-up threads for games they don't play, so we might have to ask in other threads. (I know I don't read the Star Trek setup thread, for instance.) I have a real-life friend who might want in, though, and I'll see if I can snag him. Shall we shoot for five players again? Personally, I might like to tweak Lovelace now that I've read the rules more thoroughly but I'm happy to basically stick with her as a character.
    Last edited by Appleciders; 09 Aug 2011 at 09:33 AM.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

CIAS, would you be running it? If so I would try playing again but I think I'll pass unless on of the longer term regulars RPGers were running the game.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

If no one else is willing to run the game, I might be willing to do so. I'd rather play, but I do want to see this running above all else. That said, someone may have to talk me through the combat system; I'm not sure I understand it exactly, and since Lovelace isn't really set up to attack anyone, I didn't worry about it.
    Last edited by Appleciders; 09 Aug 2011 at 11:49 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As a lurker, I'd certainly like to see it restarted! Great premise, great characters, and an interesting plot so far.

Registered
    Mar 2011

If it isn't too late, I'm trying to pull together a character. I'm thinking of something like a floating brain, or a refrigerator possessed with the soul of a magician or something.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'd be delighted to see it revive, but from tomorrow until September I won't be about at all.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by deepsoulfunk View post
    If it isn't too late, I'm trying to pull together a character. I'm thinking of something like a floating brain, or a refrigerator possessed with the soul of a magician or something.
    The basic rulesets are in the front page of the post, if you have any problems, let mw know.

Personally, I haven't GMd anything serious for several years, but can step up if required, although I would prefer to keep playing Flicker.

I'll see if someone can contact Ramses and what his plans are.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've checked with Ramses and it looks like he won't be coming back after all. He says he's too busy. I would like to see this game revived, though. I only barely managed to get my character in there!

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Quote Originally posted by deepsoulfunk
    Please do. I'll help guide you through the character creation process, laid out in post #22, if you need any help. There's a power labeled "Automaton" that might fit well if you would like to be mechanical, or you could get down to brain-in-a-jar status using Hindrances.
    Last edited by Appleciders; 13 Aug 2011 at 02:32 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    I've checked with Ramses and it looks like he won't be coming back after all. He says he's too busy. I would like to see this game revived, though. I only barely managed to get my character in there!
    If Ramses has any notes, game ideas and other details for running it and is OK with passing them across, I can continue running the game, or at least try to.

I'm sure I can find other things for Flicker to do.....

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

I had dinner with deepsoulfunk last night and we fleshed out two possible characters for him. I think either one will work well.

CIAS, I know that both of us would rather play than run the game, so if it comes down to us, maybe we should alternate running adventures? That might be a good compromise, as well as combating DM fatigue.
    Last edited by Appleciders; 17 Aug 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2011

I have finally settled on a build I like and I'm PMing it to the mod for approval. It's basically a fighter/tank. This image should give you guys an idea of what I've been working on.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ok, I think the best plan is likely to be finish this scenario off at the start of September once Malacandra gets back. I'll finish this one and try to run the next one. After that, running alternate adventures could be fun and should be easy enough given the premise. We can drop in/out of the Omega groups as ordered.

Zuul, can you see if Ramses has any notes to pass across about the other prisoner's and the situation, if any. Otherwise, I'll be forced to make things up.

FYI all, I'm a CoC GM at heart.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

So I'm working with deepsoulfunk to finish his character stats, and he's brought up an interesting point-- all the rest of us built characters with 15 power points; 10 from Arcane Background, and 5 from Super Karma. However, there doesn't seem to be any particular reason that a character, at creation, could not also take the Extra Powers edge and get an additional 5 points, for a total of 20. The Extra Powers edge specifically states that it may be taken once at novice rank, so I can't see any reason that it can't be taken on character creation. He'd simply be unable to take it again until Seasoned rank, while the rest of us will all probably take it as soon as we've got 5 Experience Points. Any thoughts?

Registered
    Mar 2011

It helps you create a pretty sweet character.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, no reason why it cannot be taken up front. It just counts as one of the character edges, either free or bought.

Registered
    Mar 2011

Another interesting find is that Copycat can technically be taken for one power point, and added to that is the -3 modifier which requires you to touch someone for this to be active, which seems to basically award you 2 Power Points in exchange for taking one power.

Also, there is the case of the Spending 2 Power Points on Super Edge, and then spending that Edge on New Power which technically could let you ultimately exchange 2 Power Points for a 5+ point Power.

Can you tell that I enjoy tinkering with rule based structures like these?
    Last edited by deepsoulfunk; 19 Aug 2011 at 07:44 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Another interesting find is that Copycat can technically be taken for one power point, and added to that is the -3 modifier which requires you to touch someone for this to be active, which seems to basically award you 2 Power Points in exchange for taking one power.
    Unfortunately, you have to spend at least one point on a power and cannot gain Power Points from taking a Power.

Also, there is the case of the Spending 2 Power Points on Super Edge, and then spending that Edge on New Power which technically could let you ultimately exchange 2 Power Points for a 5+ point Power.
    Combat Edges only, which does not include Arcane based super powers

Can you tell that I enjoy tinkering with rule based structures like these?
    Can you tell I have done this before

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

As a DM, I tend to rule against such things on the "No wishing for more wishes" principle.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

I'm reading that PDF, trying to get a handle on the combat system, and I don't see anything dealing with characters who use more than one weapon or unarmed combat. deepsoulfunk's character will most likely be using his own paws to fight with, and I'm not exactly sure how to model the damage, nor can I figure out how to give bonuses for attacking with both weapons. How is that done?

Registered
    Mar 2011

Paws or retractable claws and fangs (with no associated bonuses whatsoever, just for aesthetic purposes really)
    Last edited by deepsoulfunk; 20 Aug 2011 at 04:59 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Appleciders View post
    I'm reading that PDF, trying to get a handle on the combat system, and I don't see anything dealing with characters who use more than one weapon or unarmed combat. deepsoulfunk's character will most likely be using his own paws to fight with, and I'm not exactly sure how to model the damage, nor can I figure out how to give bonuses for attacking with both weapons. How is that done?
    I think you are looking at two-fisted and ambidextrous. Ambidextrous is a background edge only, must be taken at chargen.

Two-weapon fighting:

no edges, -2 for good hand and -4 for the off hand
    With ambidextrous, it's -2 for both attacks
    with two fisted, 0 for the good hand and -2 for the off hand
    Both edges, no penalties

If the claws have no attack value, damage is Str only.

Registered
    Mar 2011

That's the gist. At this point it would literally be cheating for me to try and claim claws with any damage value. It's just kind of how I imagined my character. I figure this operates at the same level a character animation would in City of Heroes, it's just a picture and carries no inherent value unless attached to a particular action in which case it is that action, and that action alone which determines all effects, buffs, modifiers, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Without looking at your char sheet, I couldn't possibly comment.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Given What Exit is on hols until 5th and Malacandra will be back around then, unless anything occurs to contrary, I'll kick off restarting the game on 6th/7th Sep.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Great! deepsoulfunk and I have basically hammered out his character. STR damage will be just fine; he's taking Super Melee Attack anyway. Does he get two attack rolls and roll for damage for each hit, basically getting two attacks in one round, or what?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Appleciders View post
    Great! deepsoulfunk and I have basically hammered out his character. STR damage will be just fine; he's taking Super Melee Attack anyway. Does he get two attack rolls and roll for damage for each hit, basically getting two attacks in one round, or what?
    ...and so he should.

Melee Attack gets you an extra 1D6/level on top of Str if using his fists/paws. He can make two attack rolls at the modifiers given above, both doing damage if they hit.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

That's pretty simple. Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 2009

deepsoulfunk, could you send me a copy of your char sheet or post it into the thread.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Checking in, and excited to be doing so. I have a copy of deepsoulfunk's character sheet, unless he's made last-minute tweaks, but I'll refrain from posting it so that he can do so with full fanfare and background write-up. If you don't mind, CIAS, I'd like to repost Lovelace's character sheet. I did not notice the "Device" rules on original creation, and because they're so appropriate for her character, I'd like to use them. What I've done is basically remove the -3 modifier "Power Source" to her "Invent" skill by taking the "Device" modifier for her non-"Invent" powers, and some minor tweaks to the Hindrances taken. Ultimately, her powers will remain consistent with what we've played out so far, so continuity shouldn't be affected. Is that OK with you? Feel free to veto, naturally.

Nicole Anderson, 19, sometimes known as "Lovelace." Identified as a child prodigy at a very early age, Nicole began her career at the age of 5, hacking her kindergarten's computers to get herself a double (and free) helping of chocolate milk each morning. She progressed as a hacker, earning nationwide fame for cracking into military files and for her subsequent acquittal as the government's evidence, stored in computers, evaporated. Since her acquittal, Lovelace dropped off the grid, surfacing only briefly as her cover was blown by former accomplices or the government agents who want to take her out of commission for good. Posing as a graduate student in engineering while infiltrating a research university, she discovered her affinity for electronics and gadgetry, an interest that she's cultivated with several cybernetic implants and a myriad of super-powered gadgets. The arrival of the V'sori and the K'tharen has greatly upset the order of things, making the flow of easy money from competing governments and giant corporations difficult, not to mention awkward and absurd alien programming languages-- it's time for a change!

Attributes:
    Agility d4
    Smarts d4+4=d12
    Strength d4
    Spirit d4+1=d6
    Vigor d4+1=d6

Skills:
    Knowledge (Engineering) +4 (d10)
    Repair +4 (d10)
    Knowledge (Computers) +2 (d6)
    Notice +3 (d8)

Edges: Arcane Powers (free!), Mechanical Genius (free human edge), Rich (From hindrance)

Hindrances:
    Habit (M) Lovelace has spent a few too many nights writing code and has developed a serious addiction to caffeine.
    Loyal (m) Too much time spent reading fantasy and science fiction stories has led Lovelace to develop a sense "honor among thieves."
    Curious (M) Lovelace simply can't stop herself from hacking into apparently poorly-guarded systems, which have occasionally been traps.
    Greedy (m) Lovelace has become accustomed to the finer things in life, and will not hesitate to enrich herself to pay for them.

Powers:
    Broadcast (1)
    +Manipulation (5)
    -2 Device (Headband with bobby pin antennae)

Interface (2)
    +Code Breaker (1)
    -1 Device (Laptop)

Invent (8)
    Lair (1)

Gear:
    Flak Jacket (80)-
    Z-belt (500)-
    Switchblade (10)-
    Laptop computer (1200)-
    Cell Phone (25)-
    Digital Camera (100)-
    Tool Kit (200)-
    Backpack (50)-
    Flashlight (20)-
    Autograpnel (100)-
    Clothes (20)-
    Formal Clothes (200)-
    $495 in cash
    Last edited by Appleciders; 06 Sep 2011 at 08:42 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2011

I do apologize for the lateness on this, I went through a few drafts and finally pared this down to my favorite elements. Some versions I wrote were a bit too long to be practical.

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster..." - Nietzsche

Thaddeus McAleister, age 49. As an inveterate practitioner of the dark arts with a penchant for misanthropy, Thaddeus had spent much of his life comfortably cooped up in his black house at the end of block tinkering with ancient mystic arts. It was not uncommon to see thick plumes of smoke churning from his chimney blotting out a good part of the sun and misting the neighborhood with a quite acrid stench. Though as the months drew into years his neighbors learned to ignore him, “rendering down the offal” or whatever that meant.

One dark and moonless night after having logged on to the forums at www.cultofsatan.com, Thaddeus found a thread boasting a spell which claimed to give the practitioner the power of the Morning Star himself! Sadly Thaddeus, in his pursuit of great power, found himself duped into casting his soul to the fiery depths of Hell.

It seemed as though all was lost for the aging occultist, though his unfortunate gullibility was balanced with an obstinate resolve to persevere. Through what may as well have been an infinite period,Thaddeus battled his way past the ranks of Hell, and at last through its gates. Although he had left the clutches of the dark prince, part of the dark prince would never leave Thaddeus.

Unfortunately though all was not well as his soul returned to earthrealm. Banished from Heaven, and escaped from Hell Thaddeus returned to find that his own body had been discovered dead in his house and had been, like so much of that “offal” as he was fond of calling it, rendered. Exasperated, he transmigrated into the nearest object, he cast his attention on; his childhood teddy bear.

Agility: d8 (+2)
    Spirit: d4
    Smarts: d4
    Strength: d6 (+1)
    Vigor: d8 (+2)

Derived traits are:
    Charisma is -4.
    Pace is 48 (6 if powers are negated).
    Parry is 7.
    Toughness is 9.

Fighting - d10 (+5)
    Healing - d8 (+5)
    Lockpick - d6 (+2)
    Climbing - d6 (+2)
    Stealth - d4 (+1)
    All other skills are at d4 -2.

Powers (total 20)
    Duplication - 5
    Speed - 5
    Toughness - 3
    Melee - 4
    Deflection - 2
    Leaping - 1

Edges: Power Points (Free Human Edge), Two Fisted (From Illiterate)
    Hindrances: Alien Form (Super Karma), Illiterate

Equipment: DuraWeave Armor (Hidden, woven into teddy bear fabric)- 1000
    Last edited by deepsoulfunk; 07 Sep 2011 at 12:39 AM.

+ Reply to thread