HeroKill Bullets x50 Medium (500)
    Laser Sight (50)

Switchblade (10)
    Crowbar (10)
    Backpack (50)
    Normal Clothing (20)
    Cellular Phone (20)

That should do it.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

I'm definitely interested in playing if there's a slot still open. Maybe a Christian fundamentalist from a backwoods militia group?

Registered
    Feb 2011

Quote Originally posted by Appleciders View post
    I'm definitely interested in playing if there's a slot still open. Maybe a Christian fundamentalist from a backwoods militia group?
    I'd rather something a little more classically comic-booky. While I realize that Christian fundamentalists are some of the most prolific villains in our world, known well for their oppression and violence and campaigns against tolerance and social change, I'm just not sure that's the vibe we're looking for here...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Ramses View post
    Quote Originally posted by Appleciders View post
    I'd rather something a little more classically comic-booky. While I realize that Christian fundamentalists are some of the most prolific villains in our world, known well for their oppression and violence and campaigns against tolerance and social change, I'm just not sure that's the vibe we're looking for here...
    When you're up to your arse in alien creepazoids, issues like gay rights and teaching evolution in schools are not the highest of priorities.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Hmmm. I had in mind that he'd put aside bombing federal buildings for the greater good, but I'll shelve it if it's ultimately not comic-y enough. I'll work up something else shortly.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

OK, so, I'm looking over this list of villains and I'm noticing two potential voids: a tank and a hacker. Chatelaine's Atlantean more nearly approaches a tank than anyone else does a hacker, so I'll set myself up as a super-techie.

Nicole Anderson, 19, sometimes known as "Lovelace." Identified as a child prodigy at a very early age, Nicole began her career at the age of 5, hacking her kindergarten's computers to get herself a double (and free) helping of chocolate milk each morning. She progressed as a hacker, earning nationwide fame for cracking into military files and for her subsequent acquittal as the government's evidence, stored in computers, evaporated. Since her acquittal, Lovelace dropped off the grid, surfacing only briefly as her cover was blown by former accomplices or the government agents who want to take her out of commission for good. Posing as a graduate student in engineering while infiltrating a research university, she discovered her affinity for electronics and gadgetry, an interest that she's cultivated with several cybernetic implants and a myriad of super-powered gadgets. The arrival of the V'sori and the K'tharen has greatly upset the order of things, making the flow of easy money from competing governments and giant corporations difficult, not to mention awkward and absurd alien programming languages-- it's time for a change!

Attributes:
    Agility d4
    Smarts d4+4=d12
    Strength d4
    Spirit d4+1=d6
    Vigor d4+1=d6

Skills:
    Knowledge (Engineering) +4 (d10)
    Repair +4 (d10)
    Knowledge (Computers) +2 (d6)
    Notice +3 (d8)

Edges: Arcane Powers (free!), Mechanical Genius (free human edge), Rich (From hindrance)

Hindrances:
    Habit (m) Lovelace has spent a few too many nights writing code and has developed a serious addiction to caffeine.
    Loyal (m) Too much time spent reading fantasy and science fiction stories has led Lovelace to develop a sense "honor among thieves."
    Curious (M) Lovelace simply can't stop herself from hacking into apparently poorly-guarded systems, which have occasionally been traps.
    Wanted (M) A few too many late-night "excursions" into various governments' classified files (and the subsequent sale of some of those files to interested parties) have given Lovelace some serious notoriety. (Super Karma)

Powers:
    Broadcast (1)
    +Manipulation (5)
    Interface (2)
    +Code Breaker (1)
    Invent (8)
    -Rare Power Source (-3) (Refined uranium, stolen from power plants)
    Lair (1)

Gear:
    Flak Jacket (80)-
    Z-belt (500)-
    Switchblade (10)-
    Laptop computer (1200)-
    Cell Phone (25)-
    Digital Camera (100)-
    Tool Kit (200)-
    Backpack (50)-
    Flashlight (20)-
    Autograpnel (100)-
    Clothes (20)-
    Formal Clothes (200)-
    $495 in cash

Sound good? Have I done this correctly?

Registered
    Feb 2011

Yeah, Chatelaine's Atlantean is intended to be sort of the tank.

Doing the numbers, you spent 13, not 15, in Skills. So two more die steps permissible in Skills. Otherwise looks good.

I do want to mention that with two people with Wanted, it's worth making clear: you're already being hunted. What taking Wanted on top of that means, is they know ALL about you. Real identity, false identity, weaknesses, the works. If it's reasonable that an enemy can know who you are, they probably do. It's compounding something already compounded.

Since, however, I figure that's not a big deal in a game of renegades, I'm sure it's no huge thing. We'll get underway shortly. Just add two skills, and we're good.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

OK, d4 in Streetwise and Investigation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yup, I'm aware what "Wanted" means, should make life real fun.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Likewise. I mean, what, are they going to know even more than everything? We're on the run anyway.

I'm a little curious about the background here- is there a remnant of the human government still in existence, or is the task of governing entirely taken by the aliens? Should I just wait for the intro post in the game thread?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I think so. C'mon, I want to lightning-bolt something!
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2011

In Necessary Evil, a band of aliens lured the world's superheroes into a cunning trap and killed or imprisoned the vast majority of them. The player characters are the only enhanced beings left to save the planet - supervillains! As the alien overlords' policy is to kill anyone exhibiting paranormal abilities, the only option open for such individuals is fight or flight! You can guess which option most villains choose.

Setting The Stage
    It started on January 1st, 2008. The first ships appeared over every major city of the planet. There was no prelude and no demands. The aliens just attacked. They were an amphibious race that combined the nastiest aspects of sharks and crocodiles with an aggression matched by neither. They were the stuff of nightmares to most. The people called them "Fins".

New York became a war zone, Tokyo burned, and even sunken Atlantis was razed and its ruler - the legendary Aquarian - slain.

Earth's superheroes fought back immediately. The Fins were terrifying, but no one ever doubted the heroes would win out in the end. After-all, aliens had tried to invade Earth three times before, and earth's defenders had always emerged triumphant.

But the fins possessed advanced technology and savage bloodlust, so the losses were heavy. Earth began to worry.

The V'sori
    Then came the turn of the tide the people had come to expect in these epic wars of aliens and supermen. Advance forces and another alien race arrived in earth orbit - the V'sori. They claimed to be the long-lost allies of Atlantis who had been searching for their missing comrades in arms for hundreds of years. During their quest, they had grown to become the defenders of the Galaxy.

The V'sori claimed the Fins - or K'tharen as they called themselves - were rampaging mercenaries who ravaged world after world, but the V'sori had fought them before and would help Earth against them now.

The world's greatest superhero, Champion, the leader of Alpha Force, flew into space to meet them. He returned later and gave a stirring speech that called for humanity to hold out for just a bit longer. They did, though the final cost in blood was great.

When the V'sori arrived, the K'tharen fleet rose to fight them. The alien ships fought a titanic battle in space, but the V'sori won out, and even beamed the images of the fleeting Fins to earth.

Humanity cheered their saviours and welcomed the advanced alien protectors with open arms. ANxious youths danced in the streets, proclaiming an era of peace and love. Less trusting commentators were booed and mocked in the national press. And some appeasement-minded governments even offered the aliens the figurative keys to their states.

Treachery
    Of course that's just what the aliens wanted all along. In every major city, heroes and world leaders joined together to welcome the aliens. The crowds cheered as the V'sori ships appeared overhead. Every superhero, sidekick, president, and even stars of sports, movies and music attended these grand galas. The people of earth cheered as they watched their heroes greet the alin saviors on the news networks.

The cheers turned to screams when the V'sori ships opened fire on the gathered throngs. Moments afterwards, the K'tharen warships returned - servants of the V'sori!

Champion was standing before the cameras when the V'sori hit. They knew his weakness - radiation - and targeted him with a concentrated beam of energy that turned the hero into what looked like a pulpy mass. Massive deathrays then swept over the gathered throngs, slaying thousands of heroes, officials, generals, and innocents in moments. Within thirty minutes, the unthinkable had occurred. Earth's greatest heroes were dead and its leaders vaporized.

The aliens had won.

Defeat

Soon, televisions and radios around the world carried an announcement from the admiral of the V'sori fleet. Earth was now under the control of the V'sori Empire. Resistance would be met with death.

The V'sori Empire wanted Earth's resources. They needed a way to study our defenses and then take them out with a surprise strike of surgical precision. They succeeded flawlessly. They claimed destroying more of our infrastructure and our people was counterproductive to their goal, gaining a new self-sufficient source of raw resources.

The V'sori have placed Governors in charge of the former nations of Earth. The invaders and their Fin servants are now commonplace. There isn't a single government left to oppose them, and they feel they have nothing to fear from Earth... but they are wrong.

Earth's heroes are dead, but there are others who can stand up and fight on this planet. They are supervillains... and they're a necessary evil.

The Face of the Enemy

The stuff of nightmares, the K'tharen are monstrous, slavering aliens - as fearsome as they are savage. Most are well over 7' tall - every bit of which is muscle. The "fins" have humanoid forms, but with a thick crocodile-like hide. Their head has a distinctive shark-like appearance, especially with the fin-ridge that runs along the top of their skulls and their coal-black eyes. Their coloration runs toward the darker end of the spectrum along their backs, from light greens to blue and violet, while the front is universally pale.

The K'tharen grow darker along their dorsal ridge as they age, and older members of the race can appear pure black.

The V'sori on the other hand, can best be described as beautiful. They are tall, thin, but well-muscled, and bear a bluish complexion eerily similar to that of the Atlanteans who have lived among the people of Earth for generations. Their hair is mostly dark brown or black, and is often worn short, but with a single small braid of longer hair off to one side of the face. V'sori are rarely seen in public without their body armor, a tight suit of segmented plates composed of some unknown alien material. In battle, V'sori commanders wear full helmets with mirrored visors.
    Omega

The year is 2011. The Earth has been under the control of the V’sori Empire for over two years. Humans with extraordinary abilities, commonly known as superpowers, have existed for nearly a century. Those who used their powers for altruistic reasons were known as superheroes. It is believed somewhere around 98% of them have been killed by the V’sori.

Various resistance movements have been quashed by the V’sori, but the most promising has only just begun to act — Omega. Omega was started by the greatest criminal mastermind of the modern age, Dr. Destruction. Its members are largely made up of former superhumans the world once called villains. Dr. Destruction has said that only he is the rightful ruler of the earth — “not some alien scum from the back corners of the galaxy.”

Omega is organized into cells, each of which is only aware of the other members of its own cell to prevent betrayal. Cells are contacted with their mission information through blind drops, secret codes, and most commonly, encoded radio broadcasts.

The Face of Dr. Destruction

Dr. Destruction has been practicing super-villainy since the early 1980s. His first escapades were the stuff of comic books - bank robberies, jewel heists, and kidnappings. After being thrashed by the Champion one too many times, the vengeful Destruction vanished for a few years, then returned with more powerful weaponry, and more willingness to use it.

No one knows who the doctor really is, or what his face looks like behind the mask. His powers are well-known, however. In his past pattles with Champion and other superheroes, he displayed superhuman strength, energy blasts, teleportation, and mind-control. What inherent powers he possesses and what might come from his incredible devices is anyone's guess.

Profile of a Space-God

So what does the Outsider look like? A pale, bald humanoid wearing shimmering robes of gold and red, the Outsider's yellow eyes glow with cosmic power.

His dimensions seem to change based on his whims. At one instant he is human-sized, while the next he is the size of a small building. During various confrontations with the military and Earth's super-humans, he demonstrated vast control over cosmic energy and the fundamental matter of the universe. He also had at his command a number of powerful robotic servitors strong enough to go toe-to-toe with Earth's mightiest protector, Champion. He was only defeated when a strange alien device from his own lab was used against him, seemingly disintegrating the all-powerful being, leaving nothing but charred ground where he stood.
    Star City
    The Map of Star City
    The main action in Necessary Evil takes place in Star City. New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and most every other major city in the US were rubbled by the V’sori. Star City was left curiously untouched by the aliens’ weapons of mass destruction. Large numbers of K’tharen and drones operate in the city, however, and seem to take the place of weaponry that might cause too much collateral damage.

This amazing island was created some time ago by a being of god-like power called The Outsider. The United States annexed Star Island after the Outsider was defeated and began a very expensive and high-profile scientific study of the island and its amazing ability to spawn superhumans. Two years of study at the taxpayers’ expense found no particularly useful results so it was sold off in parcels to the highest bidder.

Exactly why the Outsider created the island Star City now sits on, why so many superpowered beings are spawned here, and why the aliens don’t blast it into oblivion is a mystery your team may unravel as they fight for its survival. For now, know that Star City is your character’s home, and he’d best defend it with his very life. The future just might depend on it.

The Warlord of Star City
    The V'sori in charge of Star City is Warlord Grypon, an aging commander and master politician who has shown a keen interest in Star City, and all of its neighborhoods, inhabitants and architecture, no doubt due to its near-magical origin.

Grypon always travels with a bodyguard of a dozen elite K'tharens.
    People of Star City

Star City is home to around five million citizens, down from the eight million who lived here prior to the invasion. Most of the loss comes from those who took flight rather than casualties, as the aliens took special care not to overly damage the island. They did settle it in force, however. A large number of citizens weren’t comfortable living in such close proximity to the invaders and were allowed to flee to the mainland.

Geography of Star City

Star City lies two miles off the coast of the eastern seaboard of the United States, about halfway between Boston and New York, and is roughly six times the size of Manhattan (180 square miles). The island Star City was built on was created in 1955 when the nearly omnipotent being known as the Outsider came to Earth. Other than the fact that Star City is home to an inordinate number of superbeings, the island seems completely normal.

Star City is in fact shaped like an eight-pointed star. Four large points alternate with four smaller points surrounding the large central sections called Uptown and Downtown.

Each of the points forms a subsection of the city. The large points are known by their compass counterparts: Northpoint, Eastpoint, Southpoint, and Westpoint. The small points have the more colloquial names of Beachhead (NE, known as Bright Beach pre-invasion), Tempest (SE), The Docks (SW), and Prospect Point (NW). The central area of the city is divided into two subsections: Uptown to the north and Downtown to the south.

Star City connects to the Eastern seaboard of the United States via an amazing bridge, also built by the Outsider. Christened the “Sea Bridge,” this miraculous two-mile span has weathered powerful Atlantic currents, high winds, and even two super-powered terrorist attacks.

The Sea Bridge supports seven lanes of traffic: three going toward the city and three going away. The bridge lands at Westpoint, funneling traffic north or south to Uptown and Downtown respectively.

Engineers have since converted the seventh lane into a mag-lev line that runs from Providence, Rhode Island, to the Sea Bridge and on to Star City.

A bustling ferry industry has also grown up around Star City, shuttling cars and pedestrians across the two-mile stretch of ocean to Star City’s Westpoint receiving station. More than a dozen ferries from two competing companies serve better than 50,000 cars and pedestrians per day.

Northpoint

Northpoint is the most heavily patrolled section of Star City that is not home to any V’sori. Once the upper middle class district, Northpoint is now the home of those humans who willingly work with the alien empire. Northpoint follows the high-rise appearance of Uptown in its southern section, then becomes a series of brownstones as one moves north.

Mayor Perez: Northpoint’s most important human resident is Star City’s current mayor, Jerry Perez. The V’sori governor appointed Perez mayor about a year ago, and he has since surrounded himself with a number of like-minded cronies. Perez’ primary goal is self-preservation, but his secondary objective is rooting out any resistance cells in Star City. He has proven himself an implacable foe of the resistance, and uses whatever resources given him by his alien overlords to hunt down any insurgents. He has used his freedom and authority to form his own Star City Police Department, and has even been allowed to arm his officers with a limited number of highpowered V’sori weapons.

Special Ops Corps: After winning the complete confidence of his alien overseers, Perez was allowed to create a special branch of the police to deal with superhuman menaces across the city. The Special Ops Corps, or SOCorp, was born, and with strong alien support, Perez outfitted his new officers to do battle with superhuman foes.

Since its inception, SOCorp has worked closely with the V’sori governor in busting several rings of resistance operatives, earning them the enmity of every Omegan in town. Because of this, Perez never goes anywhere in town unescorted, unarmored, or unarmed!

Perez and SOCorp are based in Northpoint’s heavily guarded Public Safety Building, located on Center Avenue, the primary thoroughfare that bisects the neighborhood.
    Eastpoint

Eastpoint is the “residential” area of Star City. Patrols here are common towards the northern edge that looks out at Beachhead, but become less common to the south. The mainly workingclass residents of Eastpoint have learned to live under V’sori rule, but they primarily deal with Mayor Perez and the SCPD. Perez has worked hard to make nice with the many labor unions headquartered in Eastpoint, and a peaceful coexistence has been achieved.

Of course, there are many among the labor unions and working class who do not appreciate the V’sori presence in Star City, or the administration of their human quislings. A growing movement of labor unrest gnaws at the peaceful fabric of Eastpoint, threatening to plunge the neighborhood into a boiling cauldron of chaos. Lead by Richard Lyons, head of the local chapter of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), the Eastpoint Insurgents (as they have come to call themselves) are growing increasingly dissatisfied with the V’sori’s rule in Star City. Several recent public protests have ended in violent confrontations between the SCPD and certain members of the IBEW.
    Southpoint

The lowest point of Star City in every way is Southpoint. The V’sori only send patrols into this wretched hive when actively pursuing someone. The only public transportation serving this unfortunate section of town is the mag-lev rail, and service is intermittent at best. Violent criminal gangs rule many of Southpoint’s dilapidated streets, but the area is large enough that their influence does not stretch to its every corner. These quiet and deserted pockets of Southpoint make excellent locations for Omega cells and safehouses since they’re somewhat insulated by the violent but unorganized street gangs.

The Tenements contain Southpoint’s largest concentration of humanity, a great, ramshackle row of poorly maintained highrises that are little more than dens of drug use and hopelessness.
    Westpoint

Westpoint is the industrial hub of Star City. The power and water purification plant is located here as well as some of the processing facilities for the V’sori aquaculture farms. The V’sori presence is high in these locations but moderate elsewhere. V’sori scientists continue to study and marvel at the inner workings of the Outsider’s amazing power and water plant.

Westpoint also offers visitors the oncetrendy Industry Shops, a collection of retail outlets featuring artisan-level crafts, jewelry, and fashions housed in the remnants of an old sheet-metal factory. Prosperous in spite of the alien presence, the Industry Shops still attract thousands of visitors each weekend, many eager to part with their money in exchange for the merchants high-priced wares.

The Shops are also the location of the popular nightspot known as Chick’s Café. The proprietor is Chick Abel, a man who, at least publicly, prides himself on complete neutrality when it comes to matters surrounding the invasion and the current alien occupation. Great jazz music and gourmet Cajun cuisine attract the city’s best, brightest, and sometimes most notorious.

Abel’s avowed neutrality has even encouraged a few brave V’sori officers and warlords to frequent the bar. They and their retinues are now regulars at Chick’s on the weekends. This has lead to some uncomfortable moments as alcohol sometimes makes the tensions rise between the alien and human clientele, but Chick always manages to keep the peace. As he is fond of saying, “I don’t allow politics in my club.”

Also situated among the artisans of the Industry Shops is the novelty store called Heroes, which sells collectibles and memorabilia related to Earth’s superhuman population. The disruption this shop’s wares (mainly comic books, old photos, action figures, and games) causes among the populace of Star City is small, so the V’sori have continued to allow it to operate with little interruption. The owner of the shop is Mitch Powers, a onetime history professor at Star City University. No one knows why the wheelchair-bound Powers quit his tenure-track position at SCU to run the store, but he has managed to make a go of it, moving enough product to meet his rent each month and afford a few creature comforts.
    Beachhead

Beachhead is home to Star City’s V’sori base, which is walled off from the rest of the city. Besides military structures, the most notable place is the old Star City Aquarium, which has been converted to a recreation facility for the aquatic V’sori and K’tharen.

More than just a fortress in a once-hostile city, Beachhead has become an enclave of safety and security where the V’sori and their most trusted allies can walk without fear of attack, conduct delicate research, or pursue pastimes unrelated to the business of the invasion.

The only humans allowed through the walls of Beachhead are slaves or those with special clearance from V’sori high command. Even trusted human allies like Star City Mayor Jerry Perez must make special arrangements to tread the area’s heavily guarded streets, and no humans are allowed within the Star City Aquarium’s sea-green walls. Many members of the resistance have speculated as to exactly what transpires within the old aquarium-turned-alien recreation center, but no one has yet been able to penetrate its security to discover what’s really going on in there.
    Tempest

This aptly named section of Star City often catches the worst of any storms that hit town. Patrols are uncommon here, but the many criminal gangs of Star City tend to have family here and act more as protectors than scavengers.

A trio of highly sophisticated energy arrays are situated atop Tempest’s largest tower. These cylindrical, metallic rods somehow gather the energy from any storms that lash the neighborhood and store it for use in powering the area’s only factory, Burns Brewery, which borders Southpoint. The Outsiders’ original intent for the energy array and the building it rests upon is unknown, but the enterprising residents of Tempest made it one of the northeast’s most successful small breweries. Omegans returning from successful missions can choose from Thunderheat Stout, Hurricane Lager, Nor’Easter Pale Ale or a selection of seasonal brews.
    The Docks

Like Southpoint, the Docks can be a hard area of town. It is the only place where humans in Star City are connected to the outside world, and unless they are guarding a special shipment, the V’sori patrols are light in this area. This lack of official presence has lead to frequent late-night raids by the gangs of nearby Southpoint. The Docks are mostly shutdown at night, except for the actual pier area where workers operate under bright lights 24 hours a day.

Rumors abound of secret resistance bases and weapon caches hidden somewhere amid the maze of warehouses dotting the docks. Well-known mobster and black marketer, Willy the Fish, purportedly makes his home somewhere among the Docks, ruling over a once-mighty criminal empire that has steadily declined over the past four years since the aliens’ arrival.

Many speculate that the Fish is allowed to exist by the powers that be due to a special agreement to supply Star City Mayor Jerry Perez and alien warlord Grypon with certain delicacies from abroad. Whether it’s precious jewels from Africa or the freshest truffles from Europe, Willy the Fish is renowned for delivering the goods, but the price is always high.
    Prospect Point

Once the home of the rich and famous of Star City, the mansions on Prospect Point now serve as the residences of the highranking V’sori of Star City. The old Country Club has been transformed into a minor V’sori base, geared entirely toward protecting the residents. Mbuna and Manta transport craft can be seen taking off and landing from the area on a regular basis.

Warlord Grypon, the V’sori leader in charge of Star City, is believed to maintain a residence at Prospect Point along with a number of his seconds. The area is also notable for a tremendous slugfest that took place above it during the final battle against the Outsider. The ultra-hero Champion battled one of the Outsider’s most vicious robot servitors to a standstill above what would become Prospect Point’s Rolling Hills Golf Club. In fact, many of the sand traps and other unique features of the course were actually created by the calamitous impacts of the combatant’s supertough bodies as their melee careened up and down the beautiful landscape.
    Uptown

This section of town features glittering high-rises and skyscrapers of glass and steel. The buildings in the southern area of this section sport a more retrograde architecture. McGlothlin Park, the largest park in the city, is split between the Uptown and Downtown sections. Its once pristine, tree-lined lanes have grown out of control since the invasion, and its branches and bowers help conceal a fierce street gang that preys upon the alien occupiers.

Uptown is also the location of the campus of Star City University (SCU), a small, private university with an enrollment of some 5,000 students. SCU’s campus borders McGlothlin Park, and houses one of the nation’s foremost programs in robotics and electrical engineering. Since the V’sori have taken over Star City, they have kept a close eye on the research at SCU’s robotics laboratory, which once had close links to several military projects.

Numerous student protests occur every month on SCU’s campus, many of them ending with violent confrontations between the students and Star City Police Department officers. The SCPD have been able to contain the protestors for now, so the V’sori have not taken a direct hand against them.
    Downtown

Downtown architecture features heavy doses of dark stone and gothic style. The V’sori patrol this area, but confine most of their activity to mag-lev train lines. Some of the smarter gangs have learned how to survive in this area, and rumor has it that the Black Market is located somewhere Downtown.

If someone in Star City is looking for contraband of any kind, Downtown is the place to start the search. As long as you’re far away from the heavy traffic of the well-policed mag-lev lines there is all kinds of underground activity to be found.

Downtown is also the home of Star City’s only professional sports franchise, Major League Soccer’s Star City Sentinels. The Sentinels play their games in Weston Stadium, and are owned and operated by mysterious billionaire industrialist George Weston. Rarely seen in public, Weston made his fortune trading international currencies and futures, but his true passion has always been European Football, or Soccer.

The Sentinels are extremely popular in Star City, and in accordance with the tough financial times, owner Weston has lowered ticket prices to make coming to the games more affordable. Several V’sori Warlords have even taken an interest in the team, and Weston has granted them their own private box to view the games away from the screaming crowds of human spectators.
    (more to come...)
    Last edited by Ramses; 10 Mar 2011 at 08:30 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

The Man on the Street

"Yeah, I heard jokers like Mr. Cranium and Slab are fighting for the resistance now. Hell, I can remember when those two knocked over the Star City National Bank a few years back, and they're going to save us when Champion and the Alpha Force couldn't? That would be a miracle ... and the V'sori outlawed those.
    -John Davis, Truck Driver.

The average person living on the Earth of Necessary Evil is a hardy but fatalistic soul. After the V'sori seized control, the world economy went into the tank for several long months. With the aliens enforcing martial law around the world, the sort of widespread looting and lawlessness one might expect from such an event never occurred. Soon after the destruction of Earth's leaders it became clear the V'sori were here to rule rather than destroy, so most people have remained subservient rather than face certain death.

With the V'sori and their human governors encouraging the populace to work and maintain the world's infrastructure, most people could do little except try to resume their normal lives. Schools reopened, hospitals saved lives, and order returned to the world, though it was an order authored by an alien power. The people of Earth know they are no longer working for themselves, but rather toward some sinister purpose whose nature they may never understand. There is little vocal objection to V'sori rule for such statements are marked seditious, and any who utter them are taken away for "re-education".

With this specter hanging over their heads, most adults are a dour lot. As hope fades, alcoholism and drug abuse are on the rise. Most humans quietly listen to whispered reports of the resistance movement, and cheer quietly when the V'sori are set back. Hearing news about the real progress of the resistance is not easy, however, as the V'sori have installed their own human sycophants in the media.

Still, with every victory the Omegans score over the aliens and their human puppets, the flicker of hope smoldering in the hearts of Earth's citizens burns a little more brightly.
    The World

The Earth of Necessary Evil is a planet living under the occupation of a hostile power. As the aliens succeeded in destroying the leadership of just about every country in the world (along with most of the superheroes and conventional forces who might have opposed them), they were able to quickly fill the power vacuum by installing their own military governors and declaring worldwide martial law.

Many of the super-powered heroes and villains who escaped these lands have fled to Star City, the heart of the Resistance. Here’s a quick look at some key events that happened in the rest of the world should you wish to play a refugee from one of these regions.

Central and South America: The aliens wasted little time stripping the rain forests here at a rate that would put even the old logging companies to shame. A number of Omega’s resistance fighters, most notably those led by a former villain known as El Gigante, hide in the jungles and strike frequently at the alien’s bases.

Western Europe: London, Prague, Berlin, Paris, and Madrid were all completely destroyed by the alien attacks. Despite this, Western Europe is the home of several extremely successful resistance cells, including one operating below the shattered remnants of Paris, France, and led by the greatest heroine of World War II, the age-resistant Partisan.

Middle East: It is a bitter irony that what has finally brought peace to the Middle East was its virtual annihilation. The V’sori destroyed the democratic governments of Iraq and Israel, then blasted the monarchies and dictatorships of the surrounding nations as well (even though some actually offered their allegiance).

The aliens even leveled the holy shrines of the area in an effort to (one day, at least) destroy any particular attachment to the area. Jerusalem is a pile of ash and the Dome of the Rock was reduced to little more than a few pebbles.

Despite a common foe, Arab and Israeli Omegans still will not work together. Several of the most effective Arabic cells are headed by former terrorists such as the notorious Black Scorpion.

Asia: The governments of the most populous Asian nations — China and India — were quickly annihilated by the V’sori. Combined with devastating massacres of any organized rebellions, the people fell quickly into line. The smaller nations of the region followed suit.

Open resistance is now left to the Omegans, which includes a large number of former Yakuza from Japan, an Indian servitor of Vishnu called Deva, and any number of martial artists, most of whom were once hired muscle for Asian crime lords.

Africa: Africa has been looted by the V’sori like a bank vault, ripping apart the land in search of the vast mineral wealth such as diamonds. At first resistance was poorly organized, but older and darker things awoke in the Dark Continent and did not take kindly to the raping of the land, and now resistance to the aliens is strong. Fierce warriors wielding ancient powers strike, seemingly from nowhere, and then just as quickly disappear back into the thick jungles and breezy savannas.

Australia: “Oz” fought the V’sori fiercely, but they could match neither the aliens’ firepower nor their numbers. The continent fell within two weeks. The aliens have found Australia’s rich mineral resources useful, and used the country’s vast tracts of desert to set up gigantic, highly advanced, solar energy collection farms.

Atlantis: The fabled city of Atlantis sank beneath the waves some two hundred years ago, but the great city lived on through the powerful magic its populace wielded. That is, until the K’tharens blasted the aquatic city-state into nearoblivion, slaying or scattering its people, and killing their greatest protector, King Meros, the hero known to the world above as the Aquarian.

Registered
    Feb 2011

That's it, all the pre-fluff!

I intend to start this all on Saturday. Please have read this before posting.
    Last edited by Ramses; 11 Mar 2011 at 03:47 AM.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

So... Excited!

Registered
    Feb 2009

So we have.

1 teleporter - 'Flicker'
    1 electric bolt thrower - 'Terawatt'
    1 elderly fae spirit - 'Fítheal Mac Mongán' aka "Fitzy"
    1 atlantean - 'Ninienne'
    1 hacker - 'Lovelace'

and whatever Zuul is going to play.

Should be fun.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

No mere bolt-thrower either: I have some sneaking, street smarts and breaking-and-entering ability, though would need some tech-savvy on my side for any kind of sophisticated security systems. Oh, and it's someone else's turn to be leader.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Notes Read ...

Fítheal Mac Mongán, is effectively a Jack of All trades. He can do almost anything with his SUPER SORCERY & JOT skill.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Actually, as a group we're pretty flexible. I've got Invent, which can use any powers, What Exit? has Super Sorcery, which does likewise, Teleport is an inherently flexible skill, and so on. I suspect that we'll do more sneaking than smashing.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Finally finished background and gear list for my Atlantean.

She had been many things once. She’d been a loyal subject to Atlantis and a warrior in the upper echelons of the empire’s vast army. It had never been easy. No one wanted to come too close, the toxins her body secreted would dissipate an inch off her body, but any contact to her skin would result in general catastrophe. The generals found a place for the woman who alternately came to be called Nen or Deca (a family honorific), and despite it being a somewhat lonely life when the others of her species and age paired off, Ninienne found contentment in the loyalty she owed to the underwater kingdom.

Then came the V’sori. Their envoys, dispatched to the underwater empire, recalled long forgotten ancient pacts and assumed much of the control of the armies of the King. With the joint leadership of the Queen and the V’sori ambassador, the Atlanteans and the aliens were able to join with the air-breathing heroes of the upper world and diminish the K’tharen numbers. But this was not without treachery.

The treachery is what begins Deca’s story.

When the K'tharen onslaught resulted in the death of the empire's King, Atlantis retailiated under the Queen's leadership. But the V'sory turned out to be the greater enemy. The massacre of the Atlanteans destroyed a majority of their number, what was there of Deca's family died as well. The Queen was encouraged to relocate to Star Island which seemed to be relatively safe and perhaps even to bargain with her own life for that of her people. Nen, whose grief and fury had steadily grown couldn't tolerate what she saw as weakness from the Queen and in a brutal berserker's rage, slew her and her entire personal guard. She later, and with great irony, escaped to Star Island herself.

Gear:
    Electro-lance (750)
    Normal clothing (20)
    Cell phone (20)
    Last edited by Chatelaine; 12 Mar 2011 at 04:24 AM.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Is it OK for me to declare what gadgets I have available at the moment from Invent? If so, I'd like them to be a device granting Chameleon and one granting a single point of Deflection. I realize that they're not handy at the moment, but rather stored else where in the vehicle.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Sounds good.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Basic Combat System:
    Before we start, you need to know:
    WILD DIE: All player characters and Special NPCs get Wild Dice. This is a d6 that is added to one action roll a round (not damage). You use this die OR your die, on your roll, whichever is greater. This is both in and out of combat.
    ACE: A die, if it rolls the maximum number it can (a 4 on a d4, a 6 on a d6, a 12 on a d12), "aces" and explodes - letting you roll it again. If it aces again, continue until it stops acing. Wild Dice also can do this.
    MULTIPLE ACTIONS: For every additional action you take in a round, all your rolls suffer a cumulative -2 modifier to the roll. If you take four actions, you suffer -8 to all roll results for that turn. Additionally, you can not do the same roll twice unless you have an Edge or Power that says otherwise. If you have nothing in one hand and a knife in the other, you can punch once and stab once. The exception is ranged weapons with Rate of Fires. You can reduce the benefit of Rate of Fire by splitting your actions to send bullets to multiple targets, incurring the normal modifier to attacks.
    RATE OF FIRE: This is a common thing so let's mention it. If unloading into one target, you can add an additional Shooting Die to your attack (so if you have a d8 in Shooting, you can roll 2d8+Wild Die d6, and take the best possible result from any of the three) for every Rate of Fire above 1 you have. You then roll your damage and compare it twice (or three times, or twenty times) to the opponent's Resistances. While this might mean for more damage, it also means more chances they have to soak the damage. Alternately, you can use Rate of Fire to allow for multiple actions and target multiple targets or the same target multiple times (perhaps making different called shots).
    TARGET NUMBERS: A base TN is 4, and difficult rolls increase the increment by 4 or penalize you for their difficulty, depending. For opposed rolls, it's often compared to an adversary's roll. However, in all cases, for every 4 you gain on your roll ABOVE the Target Number, you gain a "raise".

Get Initiative. This can be modified by Edges, but unless otherwise, the Storyteller (that's a me, a Mario!) pulls cards from a deck and assigns them to the players, and one card for each group of adversaries.
    On your action, you act. To do a Melee attack, you roll Fighting, against a Target Number of the opposing character's Parry (which is 2+1/2 your Fighting). If you succeed, you hit and roll damage. If you get a raise (or two raises, or three raises, or ten raises for that matter), you get to add +1d6 to the damage. No more than this one additional d6.
    To do a Shooting or Throwing attack, roll your Shooting or Throwing. The base Target Number is 4 at Short Range, and you incur a -2 penalty to the roll and -4 penalty to the roll at Medium and Long range respectively. If you are shooting at CLOSE range (only doable with pistols unless the target is prone, at which point it's a coup de grace anyway), you compare your roll to their Parry as with melee attacks. Again, 1d6 is added to your for any raise you make, but only once.

Then you roll Damage.
    This is, for ranged weapons, a static number (+1d6 if a raise occured), such as 1d6 or 3d8 or so on.
    This is, for melee, usually, a static number added to your Strength. Such as Str+d8. Again, +1d6 for a raise on the to-hit roll.
    Either way, roll your Damage, and compare it to the target's Toughness (and Armor if applicable). This is your Target Number. If you hit this number, it is a Success and they are Shaken, which makes them unable to do anything but move and try to recover on their next round. If Shaken, and you receive another Shaken result, you gain a Wound.
    If you gain a Raise, it is a Wound instead, which causes the effects of Shaken as well as causing a -1 penalty to Pace and all Trait tests (anything but Damage, basically). Every raise creates an additional wound. Player Characters can take one Wound.

To recover from Shaken effects, you must make a Vigor roll successfully.
    To recover from a Wound, you must take time to heal it somehow.
    When Incapacitated, you must make a Vigor roll. A Raise means you are only stunned. You still have three wounds but are not unconscious, and instead suffer an impairment such as difficulty breathing, a wounded leg, et cetera. A Success means the hero is unconscious. Failure means the victim is dying and must make a Spirit roll; if he fails, he dies, and a success or raise, he clings to life. Critical Failure, a roll of 1 on both the wild die and the trait die, the character dies immediately.

There's a lot more than this, but if you remember these details you'll do pretty well.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I completely missed that the M2HK gun needed d6 strength to wield.

Registered
    Feb 2011

It's cool, man, I just figured it's like regular guns. Big ones got hella kick.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks to Ramses for the help with the sheet and saving a spot for me.

Name: Kamaria Mbisala
    Race: Human
    Background: When Kamaria was born, her family lived in what was then known as the People's Republic of the Congo. The communists ran it throughout her early childhood, then later it became known simply as the Republic of the Congo. It didn't matter who was in charge, though. As a member of a tiny tribal group, she and her family were always close to the bottom of the social order. They were luckier than the Mbenga peoples, some of whom were kept as slaves by the more powerful Bantu in the country, but they were still faced with exploitation and loss of their lands. Though they had frequent contact with people from the more developed regions of the country, her own people remained close to the land, practicing animism and a totemic relationship with animals. As the acolyte to her village's shaman, she learned how to attune herself with animals and sharpened her awareness beyond human limits.

When she was still a teenager, civil war erupted and tens of thousands of civilians were killed, including the rest of her family. Only her training and the relative vigor of youth saved her life. Enraged and lost, she joined with a group of guerillas resisting the return of Denis Sassou Nguesso to power. There was no stopping it however, and so in great bitterness she left the country. There were always other revolutions and conflicts to fight in, but her bitterness only grew as it no longer seemed to matter who won or who lost. In either case, corruption always returned. Idealism and her thirst for revenge became tempered with practicality and she soon began choosing to whom she'd bring her rare talents based on how much they were paying.

That cool practicality eventually caught the eye of a minor warlord and they married, having their first child a year afterward. Kamaria's cynicism grew all the worse from being in one place and watching her husband's ruthless oppression. Any power, she decided, would corrupt. If a man ever had the strength to crush another under his heel, he'd eventually do so. There was only one answer.

Taking her daughter and escaping to the United States, Kamaria became an anarchist's best friend. Whoever held power--be they fascists, communists, or superheroes--was a target to be taken down.

Attributes:
    Strength d6
    Agility d12
    Vigor d6
    Smarts d6
    Spirit d8

Skills:
    Climbing d4
    Fighting d12
    Notice d6
    Stealth d8
    Survival d6
    Tracking d6

Edges:
    Arcane Background
    Beast Master (2 pts)
    Dodge (Free Human Edge)

Hindrances:
    Dependent (Major) [4 year old daughter]
    Heartless (Minor)
    Stubborn (Minor)
    Enemy (Major) [Estranged husband]

Charisma 0
    Pace 6
    Parry 8
    Toughness 5

Powers:
    Animal Control 2 (5 pts)
    -Telepathic Link (+1)
    Attack, Melee 2 (6 pts)
    -Armor Piercing 4 (+2)
    Heightened Senses (1)
    Super Attributes (3)
    Increase Agility to d12, Smarts to d6, Spirit to d8

Gear:
    Cell Phone $20
    4 Knives {Str+d4, Weight 1 lb, Cost 25}
    Camouflage Fatigues {Cost 20, +1 Stealth in camouflaged environment}
    Normal Clothing $20
    Backpack {Cost 50, weight 2 lb}
    Z-Belt {Armor +1, Weight 1lb, Cost 500, Heavy Armor: covers all}
    $290 cash

Animal Companion:
    African Fish Eagle, "Izzy"
    Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d4 (A), Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
    Skills: Fighting d8, Guts d6, Notice d12+2
    Pace: 2; Parry: 6; Toughness: 3
    Special Abilities:
    -Claws/Bite: Str+2 damage
    -Size -2: Small (-2 to Hit)
    -Flight: A flying pace of 12, which is doubled when diving.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Welcome aboard. Throwing kids into the mix, I sense major plotlines in the offing.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Okay, a little disappointed by post turn-around from people. I suppose it's assumed CIAS and Chatelaine are going to handle this before the rest get involved?

Alright. I'll just post daily or every-other now; I'll do my best to assume wisely of your character's intentions if I'm forced to. I want to keep this rolling!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Okay, but at the moment I believe three of us are holding the fort while Flicker and Deca are getting themselves into trouble, so unless we have reason to hurry to their aid or have something else to do where we are, there's not much for it. Of course if Lovelace should happen to spot something on the comms that suggests we need to get over there quickly...
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

The cameras are closed-circuit, so Lovelace can't tap 'em. We in the admin building won't know anything about it unless there's a further disturbance on the drones' network (which there ought to be after Deca impales some folks).

Registered
    Feb 2011

I wish I knew you all felt you were holding your actions. I was sitting here waiting...

Anyway. There was also prompts for at least several of you back in the admin building... to see how you would try to find him, by looking through files or through the cameras that were scanning the prison cells and grounds...

But now you all hear gunfire, so it's moot.

Registered
    Feb 2009

My character is involved in Intelligence gathering and waiting for input from you Ramses.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Can I assume that falsifying broadcasts is moot at this point? I assume that Lovelace has heard over the radio that there's gunfire, right?

Registered
    Feb 2011

WE?: PMed you for what I need to know for Fitheal. =)

AC: Fairly so. They know you're here; information has scrambled that these guys are responding to contact made.

Registered
    Feb 2011

You'd also hear the gunshots from here.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Sure, sure, but the question is whether it's worthwhile to keep up the broadcasts, or whether Lovelace can stop. Sounds like she can.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Ramses View post
    Okay, a little disappointed by post turn-around from people. I suppose it's assumed CIAS and Chatelaine are going to handle this before the rest get involved?
    It will take a little time, but eventually the game will get a flow. It's early days yet.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I missed something in your earlier game post Ramses. It is actually best in this medium to either Bold the character name or break it up into seperate paragraphs. This has been helpful in my game I know. I did not see the portion addressed to Fitheal unfortunately. My fault but the extra bit does help.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

And I'll take the point; I'll try to post something in thread about Lovelace waiting, rather than making you wait.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Nah, if you're in a delayed cycle, you can just wait until your delay is up. I won't expect much if I'm telling you "it takes two turns" and you effectively go "pass" by not posting that day.

Besides, as above, I'm just gonna try to do a summary post daily.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Are we using the "benny" system described in the rulebook? It seems like this last round would have been an ideal time for Flicker to use one.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Yes! We are using the Benny system. Feel free to declare you will use a Benny. Or contend a statement I make with a Benny, if applicable. Just tell me how you want to use it and I will handle it appropriately.

Registered
    Feb 2009

*looks up Bennies*

*realises it couldn't possibly get any worse then 2 1s*

Registered
    Feb 2009

Bennies for Beginners.

Each Session you get three Bennies.

They can be used to re-roll any trait test eg. Shooting as demonstrated. They can also be used to assist in soaking damage or automatically remove a Shaken counter above and beyond any Vigor roll.

They are not kept between sessions, so I imagine Ramses will let us know when they get refreshed.

Oh, and the Bad guys do get them as well - wouldn't be fair otherwise.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Oh, good. 2 1s is as bad as it can get for CIAS, and since he went last in the round, it's minimum work for Ramses, too.

Elephant
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Ramses, are you waiting for something from us?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Looks like he hasn't posted since the 7th. Maybe the weekend just got away from him?

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, anyone know where Ramses is?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Let me get my GM poking stick ready...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Not the poking stick. Be gentle.

+ Reply to thread