+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Necessary Evil RPG Plotting

Registered
    Feb 2011

Default Necessary Evil RPG Plotting

I would like to give my own shot at running a campaign, perhaps.

I discussed this setting briefly with Zuul and went "Man, that'd be pretty good."

The premise of the setting is as follows:
    You are on an iconic super-hero world, filled with giant super-teams and big-name superheroes, such as Champion - sort of this world's superman. The world was then invaded by a group called the Fins for their rather shark-like look, properly named the K'tharen. At first, no one was troubled, certain Champion and the Protectors would push back this menace as they had many before.
    But the fighting was fierce and rough; Earth was looking like they might just lose this one, despite all the heroes pitching in. Then, miraculously, saviors appeared out of the skies. The V'sori. They spoke of an ancient pact with the native Atlanteans, and appeared to defend this world. With their help, the heroes pushed back the K'tharen!
    Gathering to pay homage to the horrible ordeal, almost all of man's greatest heroes were assembled in one place.
    Just in time for a V'sori warship to incinerate the space from orbit.

With Earth's heroes destroyed, the V'sori claimed the Earth with their servant-species the K'thareen, who had been playing a long con with their masters all along to annihilate Earth's greatest protectors. V'sori have been ruling now for months, hunting down superheroes and dissidents and exterminating them or locking them up for study and repurposing.

The only people who can possibly stand up to them are the Earth's last hope, Earth's remaining superpowers - those who were not obliterated in the attack on Earth's heroes.

The villains.

Many villains coming together into a guerrilla fighting force under the leadership of the world's greatest mastermind, Dr. Destruction, they're Earth's last great hope. You might be villains, but you're villains from EARTH - and this is YOUR planet to claim.

As entering play, you'd be playing villains (or the extremely rare loner superhero) who would be captured recently by the V'sori, taken alive for reasons unknown. Does this sound interesting to any? I have most of the stuff written up and all.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

What are the characters like? Would some of the "villains" just have a different set of laws or ideals? I could see someone being labeled a villain for a willingness to pursue certain agendas against corporate and government interests. Or a generally honorable mafiosa type like Don Vito Corleone. They violate their nations laws but are not villains for villainy sake. I could see an Islamic follower of Bin Laden as an example, a retired IRA type, an Eco-guerilla, a Basque Freedom fighter, a vigilante from an extremely high violent crime area, a computer hacking semi-nut gadgeteer that loves to supply information to wiki-leaks, an experiment gone wrong, super soldier who has fits of madness and berserker rage but would rally to help save the earth and would clearly be willing to die trying, etc

Another idea, a Vampire that cannot feed on these stinking aliens and thus needs to preserve humankind for his own long term survival.
    An alien observer who might well be an advance scout for a third alien group but who has gone mostly native. He/She appears to be human in almost all ways but is not. They admire and now love the crazy and childish human race and will join the resistance to fight the more aggressive invaders.

Of course the mind controlling megalomaniac that sees the aliens as rivals for domination of the human race would make an interesting member of the resistance.

Problem I see right off the bat, is trust. Would the villains be able to trust each other enough to form an effective resistance?

OK, now that I have tossed out a dozen ideas and one concern, what do you say?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd be up for this, as you know. I'm probably not going to be able to join in until two weeks from now, since I'm currently out of town.

Are all or most of the villains going to have genuine superpowers, or will it tend more toward the mad scientist and criminal mastermind sort?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

My idea for a background is simply a completely amoral type who has spent the better part of twenty years undertaking the shadiest kind of job for the dirtiest money going, and who was all set up to retire to a private island with every imaginable comfort and a small army of personal slaves. Having invested his earnings in every major world economy he was nicely set up - even if World War Three broke out, provided any reasonable portion of the world survived he would have enough capital banked with the winning side to be able to follow his life plan. He sometimes joked he was proof against anything but the Martians invading... which is ringing a mite hollow right now.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2011

I want to stress that character types should not have limitless resources, or an enormous criminal empire; for the sake of game balance, everyone's more along the power-levels of, say, an X-Man than a Justice Leaguer.

What Exit, all that is fine. Keep in mind, even in comic books (and this is a very tongue in cheek take on superheroes), the best-written villains legitimately see themselves as not-villains. All of those ideas, except maybe the Don Vito Corleone type - for reasons stated above - could be fine.
    Additionally, the trust reduction is fine. There will be an incredibly well-executed element brought into the opening gambit that rather forces cooperation. Some heavyhandedness is necessary to make them gel. The setting is aware that villains tend to operate independently; that is totally fine, as it will create excellent conflict when forced to do otherwise.
    As a note, the vampire might have some trouble operating for daylight, which game will take place in. If you do go that route, feel free to cheese it a touch - despite vulnerability to sunlight, if you cover yourself in, say, a bodysuit head to toe...

Zuul, anything works. I'm going to show the system to build off of, and can build off of it myself (it's a pretty straightforward system, as I mentioned before), but anything can be built from it. Martial arts masters, mad scientists, talking gorillas, criminal masterminds, super-powered bad-asses, so on.

Malacandra, unfortunately, I realized I didn't clarify this just yet - I was still wondering about interest, before I stated some limitations. But unfortunately, to make villains operate together despite divergent independent goals, the one limitation is that... Dr. Destruction is going to be the reason you all are even alive. Now, this character type you've stated works fine - if he had all of these things planned, all contingencies ready or near so, and then the arrival of the K'tharen and then the betrayal of the V'sori blew it all to hell. Some bad-ass mercenary who's back to square one and very unhappy with the V'sori for ruining his pleasant retirement... that sort of thing? Lovely.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Exactly. All those capos whose rings I kissed, all those tin-pot third-world dictatorships I propped up, all those inconvenient witnesses I rubbed out, all those annoyances I removed from the business of the rich, powerful and even more corrupt than I am, and it's all gone for nothing? Someone's getting his ass kicked if it's the last thing I do!

I had a genuine super-powered baddie in mind, but let's wait to see who shows up before I go too much further.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

What sort of power are we talking about? I'm trying to recall the little I know of the X-Men:
    Wolverine was basically a Super-Soldier experiment right?
    Cyclops had laser eyes or something odd like that?
    Storm could fly and control weather? That could make for an interest Eco-Terrorist. Someone that instead of protesting dirty industry, scared and hurt the CEOs and boards or trashed whaling ships? Maybe a nature spirit at odds with humanity but sees the aliens as far, far worse.

Do you have any system in mind? I played the original version of Champions when it was fairly new. It is the only Super Hero system I know.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

(Cyclops's eye-beams are concussive force from a parallel universe, not laser beams. Really. Wolvie had regeneration from just about any injury as his inborn power, and at some point in his past his skeleton got replaced with unbreakable metal including the extensible claws. He needed his original superpower just to survive the surgery. Right about Storm - she could control wind and weather, including fine enough control of winds to be able to fly. And I remember Champions fondly from like 30 years ago.)
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2011

Yes. I am actually in the process of physically transcribing all the player content by hand from Necessary Evil, a sourcebook for the Savage Worlds universe.

If you do pick it up, don't peak at the GM area plox.

But Savage Worlds is a VERY light, versatile system. Best scratch-build system ever, in my opinion, and I -like- Unisystem, GURPs, HERO, et cetera.

It's also small enough, compact enough, that transcribing it to text is actually feasible. Is just taking me a minute.

In the build, you get what's called ten "Power Points" to spend on skills, attributes, or powers - this way you can make a super-genius, a big-fisted bastard, or someone with zany powers, or even a hyper-martial-artist. It's all doable. You can get five more by taking a severe disadvantage (vampire, for instance: weakness (sunlight))

But for an example of Normal Person + Superpowers, if you took a severe disadvantage and spent only in powers, you COULD dump it all into Flight, which at 15 points (a varying-point-cost power), it will let you fly at Sonic Speed. At 2, you just move at your running speed in the air.

So this system will not let you start out as superman. Pick a gimmick (thus why I said X-Men) and we'll go from there. I'm working to transcribe this all for you. Patience on that...

Registered
    Feb 2011

SAVAGE WORLDS QUICKRULES: http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf

I'm going to type up all we'll need from the Necessary Evil book.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra View post
    (Cyclops's eye-beams are concussive force from a parallel universe, not laser beams. Really. Wolvie had regeneration from just about any injury as his inborn power, and at some point in his past his skeleton got replaced with unbreakable metal including the extensible claws. He needed his original superpower just to survive the surgery. Right about Storm - she could control wind and weather, including fine enough control of winds to be able to fly. And I remember Champions fondly from like 30 years ago.)
    OK, I'm not a comic book reader so I only have peripheral knowledge of the more popular characters. I probably played Champions in 1986 for the first time and haven't since maybe 1990. The game was apparently introduced in 1981.

I'm watching the Tholian Episode with my son right now and it is making me nostalgic for Star Fleet Battles. Did you ever play that one? (Not really a RPG, more a war game)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra View post
    OK, I'm not a comic book reader so I only have peripheral knowledge of the more popular characters. I probably played Champions in 1986 for the first time and haven't since maybe 1990. The game was apparently introduced in 1981.

I'm watching the Tholian Episode with my son right now and it is making me nostalgic for Star Fleet Battles. Did you ever play that one? (Not really a RPG, more a war game)

Registered
    Feb 2011

I did play Star Fleet battles, yes. Vehicle combat will be relatively limited in this game, however, I think.

Either way, I just was using X-Men as a touchstone. The basic gist is "pick a schtick". The X-Men were used as an example since, for the most part, they have either one power per guy, or they have a smallish "set" of abilities. For instance, weather controlling, teleportation, energy blasts, telekinesis/telepathy, shapeshifting, elasticity, creating pet monster worms that eat any matter, charging inanimate objects with explosive energy, flight, super-strength, creating armor, computer control, super-engineering, super-thinking, power-duplication, skill-duplication, turning into base elements, et cetera et cetera.

But again, it's also entirely viable to just make your guy a crackshot rifleman, or a martial artist, or a super-brain mastermind, or even a brain in a jar for that matter...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

There's no need to repeat yourself, Jim, I'm not deaf.

Never played Star Fleet Battles or, for that matter, any other Trek-based game - though not for want of interest in the subject!
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

A Team Evil game - oh boy - a Team Evil game.

That's means trust, what trust? The only reason to band together is because the even bigger evil is over there causing havoc. So for the moment, truce, after that, your as likely a target as anyone else.

First question, is there going to be an IPC* barrier? Also, is this going to be a funny evil superhero game (say Batman Animated/X-men cartoon series level) or are we playing dark and nasty (Sin City+)?

I would suggest the former rather than the latter.

and I thought the rules looked familiar, they are Deadlands based.

*Inter party conflict
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2011

There's a bit of Dark and Nasty, but it's mostly Big Four Color Comics level.

The only IPC is, again, the fact that there is a Much Bigger Problem Outside. Inter-Party Conflict is not unwanted in this setting.

I actually like the element of chaos to independent-minded person forced into a truce, not trust. IPC is fun here. It's preferred the villains are criminal, not psychopathic, as that's a little TOO much IPC...

Still working hard at getting all the extra content written up.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ok, I'm interested.

Background: When younger he discovered could make things disappear and re-appear elsewhere instantaneously. From this he graduated to stealing small items to falling in with a bad crowd and carrying out armed robberies. Yes, teleportation is a wonderful skill for a criminal to have. It has a few limitations, but he is working on those, but it is such a versatile tool.

Registered
    Feb 2011

CatInASuit, that sounds totes workable!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm going to wait for the second hand-out before I craft a character idea. I'm still not sure where I am going but the character will almost surely have been an eco-terrorist.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Absolutely. Still writing like crazy. I actually just bitched the following to Zuul:

So ... much ... shit ... to type...

Special rules, edges, limitations, gear, all written up.
    I just have powers left.
    Up to Intangibility.

Got Interface down now, too. "All that's left" is Invent, Invisibility, Jinx, Lair, Leaping, Malfunction, Matter Control, Mind Control, Mind Reading, Minions, Negation, Paralysis, Parry, Regeneration, Shrink, Speak Language, Speed, Storm, Stun, Super-Attribute, Super Edge, Super Skill, Super Sorcery, Swinging, Telekinesis, Telepathy, Teleport, Toughness, Undead, Vehicle, Wall Walker, Whirlwind... and all the side-panels left.

Which is Devices notes, the Elemental Tricks table, Superhuman Strength lifting chart and the Scenery Chewing damage chart, the Backlash Chart for magic, and then done...."
    Incidentally, the preceding powers are, just for By Name:
    Absorption, Ageless, Altered Form, Animal Control, Animation, Aquatic, Armor, Attack (melee), Attack (ranged), Awareness, Broadcast, Burrowing, Chameleon, Construct, Copycat, Darkvision, Decay, Deflection, Duplication, Earthquake, Elasticity, Energy Control, Ensnare, Explode, Extra Actions, Extra Limbs, Fear, Fearless, Flight, Force Control, Gifted, Growth, Healing, Heightened Senses, Illusion, Immunity, Infection, Intangibility, Interface.

While I have all that stuff done, I'd rather just have one big post than many small disjointed ones. Sorry for the delay. The non-powers stuff wasn't tough, but to make each power 'special', they all do kind of have their own little bits and that's kind of tedious work to type up. Working hard!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ramses, another option. Post them in sections and ask Zuul or CatInASuit* or myself to merge the posts with the details as you add more. All three of us can do that for you with ease.

It sounds like you are more then a third and less then a half way through.

* who you'll see called CIAS quite often

Registered
    Feb 2011

Okay, then.

SAVAGE WORLDS QUICKRULES: http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf

Here I will transcribe the additional things needed in the Necessary Evil sourcebook:

CHARACTER CREATION:
    1) Villain Concept

-How did your character get his powers? Was she the victim of a horrible accident? An experiment gone horribly wrong? Or is it the mastery of arcane magic or high-tech gadgets that gives your villain her powers?
    -What sort of powers does your villain have? Is he a super-tough and super-strong brick? A mad magician with a multiplicitly of mystical might? A gadgeteer with rocketpacks for flying and a death ray pistol?
    -Why did your character become a villain? Why did your character become a villain? Was he a petty crook who found the means to be something more? An evil genius bent on world domination? A feared and hated mutant who wanted to lash back at the world that turned its back on him? Or is she one of the rare few superheroes who survived the V'sori attack?

2) Race
    Characters in Necessary Evil can be Atlantean, human, hybrid, or something else. Atlantean humans, and hybrids are described below. Other races - undead, constructs, or even aliens from other worlds - are also possible, but you'll have to create those within the system yourself.

3) Traits
    Your character starts with a d4 in each of his five Attributes: Agility, Smarts, Spirit, Strength and Vigot. You then have 5 points to distribute among them as you choose. Raising an attribute costs 1 point, and you may not raise an attribute above d12.
    You also have 15 points to buy your skills. Raising a skill by a die type costs 1 point as long as it's no higher than the attribute it's linked to. It costs 2 points per die type to raise a skill over its linked attribute.
    All skills from the Savage Worlds rulebook are allowed in Necessary Evil.
    Note: As a super-villain (or rare hero), you will be taking the Arcane Background (Super Powers) Edge. It gives super-types the ability to increase their attributes, Traits and Edges out of super-powered points. You can ignore the usual restrictions about not buying Traits over a d12 when using Power Points.

4) Hindrances
    Hindrances allow you to define the weakness of your character, and in turn give you more points with which to build your villain. You may take up to two Minor Hindrances (worth 1 point each) and one Major Hindrance (worth 2 points).
    For 2 Points you can:
    -Raise an Attribute by one die type.
    -Choose an Edge.
    For 1 Point you can:
    -Gain another Skill point (max d12)
    -Gain an additional $1000.

POWER POINTS:
    Characters with Arcane Background (Super Powers) can also use their Power Points to further increase their attributes or take new Edges. Super beings can also take one additional Major Hindrance. This only grants you an additional 5 Power Points during character creation.

5) Gear
    Your character starts with $1000 to spend on gear.

6) Secondary Statistics
    Now that you've finished raising your basic Traits through Power Points and advances, it's time to determine your secondary characteristics.
    Charisma is a measure of your villain's likability, and is added to Persuasion and Streetwise rolls. Your Charisma modifier is +0 unless changed by Edges, Hindrances or Powers.
    Pace is equal to 6", unless changed by Edges, Hindrances or Powers.
    Parry is equal to 2 plus half your Fighting.
    Toughness is equal to 2 plus half your Vigor.

7) Final Touches
    Now you can fill in your character's details. How has he survived since the V'sori rule? What keeps him together with the other super-villains? What are his goals? Who does he hate? Does he care about anyone or anything?

---------------

RACES:
    Humans, Atlanteans and their hybrid offspring are by far the most common races on the planet, so most player character villains should be one of these three races. Innate super powers are much more common to these races, seemingly from some sort of genetic mutation derived from an unknown event in Earth's past. Since the first confirmed "super-powered" individual appeared in 1925, the event is presumed to have occured sometime during that decade.

ATLANTEAN
    An aquatic race that have lived on Earth for hundreds of years, appearing as blue-skinned humans with gills. All of them have at least minimal physical abilities, and many of them have highly developed powers. Atlantis was being ruled by King Meros, also known as Aquarian to the surface world. King Meros was lost during the K'tharen attack on Atlantis.
    Currently, the surviving Atlanteans are refugees, as their home city of Atlantis was destroyed and the V'sori regime declared all Atlanteans enemies of the state. They exist in small, scattered communities, hiding in the depths of the ocean. A brave handful explore the surface world disguising their heritage and dodging the V'sori however they can.
    Racian Edges & Hindrances
    -Aquatic: Live beneath the waves, and can survive in the depths despite the cold or crushing pressure. Their Pace in the water is equal to their Swimming skill.
    Atlanteans must spend at least 8 hours out of every 48 submerged in water. If denied, they begin to die. They must roll Vigor once every 8 hours or suffer Fatigue, Exhaustion and finall death.
    -Tough: Atlanteans are raised in the crushing depths of the world's deepest oceans. They start with a d6 Vigor instead of a d4.
    -Telepathy: Atlanteans can communicate telepathically with other Atlanteans, hybrids or V'sori. The range on this ability is sight. Unfortunately this makes them easier to pick up by the V'sori who gain a +2 on their Notice rolls to find Atlanteans.

HUMAN
    Humans have a diversity in appearance and manner that is matched only by their aptitude in a variety of endeavors.
    Racial Edges & Hindrances
    -Free Edge: Humans begin play with a free Ede of their choice. They must still meet the requirements for it.

HYBRID
    Though the occurences are rare, humans and Atlanteans can interbreed. Their progeny always have the ability to send their thoughts, and more often than not, have a greater incidence of superior psionic powers. Other features of the Atlantean parent - such as Aquatic and blue skin - are not guaranteed to be passed on.
    Racial Edges & Hindrances
    -Telepathy: Hybrids can communicate telepathically with other Atlanteans, hybrids or V'sori. This functions just as the Atlantean's.
    -Heritage: Hybrids typically tend to reflect one of their ancestries more than the other. They may choose either a Free Edge or Aquatic.

-------------

NEW HINDRANCES
    These are in addition to those in the Savage Worlds core set.

Alien Form (Major):
    Your villain is completely alien in appearance: a glowing ball of energy, an amoeba with tentacles, a large floating brain, and so on. He suffers a -4 to Charisma, and his physiology is nearly impossible for humans to figure out. Healing rolls made to help your villain are made at -4. The numerous roleplaying instances should also be a major challenge as well - perhaps you can't get into restaurants, can't wear a flak jacket, can't fit into a car, and so on, as defined by your odd shape.
    Your villain's form may grant you special perks, but these must be bought as powers. If a glowing ball of energy wants to be able to pass through walls, for example, the Intangibility power must be taken. In other words, if you didn't buy the power, your villain's form doesn't "get it" no matter how you word it.

Allergy (Major/Minor)
    Your character suffers an aversion to a common condition or substance, such as water, fire, cold, sunlight, etc. Exposure to this substance (within 1" of it) inflicts a -4 penalty to all villain's Trait rolls as a Minor hindrance.
    As a Major Hindrance, all of your villain's superpowers - including Traits derived from superpowers - are actually negated until 1d20 rounds after the substance is removed or shielded somehow.

Dependent (Major)
    It may not be an intrepid reporter or a loyal butler, but your villain has some person to which he is devoted, and will do anything to protect. This may be his wife or girlfriend, one of his children, or even a pet or minion.
    The Dependent is a Novice Rank character, and while scrappy in her own right, just isn't up to par with the V'sori and their legions. For whatever reason, this doesn't stop the Dependent from getting involved - frequently and often. She constantly requires saving, reveals team secrets, or otherwise causes your villain no end of grief. Of course, every now and then, the friend might just save the villain's life as well, but such instances should be rare.
    If the Dependent ever dies, your villain is heart-broken and grief-stricken for the rest of the campaign. He receives only one benny at the beginning of each game session (but Luck and other bonuses apply normally). Relief comes only after revenge. He cannot simply slay the minion who murdered his girl, he must kill the minion's boss as well and only after making them pay. Only then is the benny restriction lifted and the Hindrance "bought off".

Disability (Minor/Major)
    Disabilities can include any number of physical or mental conditions that in some way effect how your character behaves or is perceived. Minor disabilities might include speech impediments, skin conditions, or learning disabilities such as dyslexia. Major disabilities include lack of mobility (paraplegic or quadriplegic), birth defects, or major mental disorders not covered by other Hindrances. Powers that compensate for these disabilities should downgrade or negate the disability as appropriate.

Distinctive Appearance (Minor)
    Your villain's appearance is somewhat different than others of his race (a blue skinned human, an Atlantean with a tail, a talking gorilla, etc), and is relatively easy to spot, even when out of costume. This makes the villain easier for the aliens to track down and pick out of a crowd and can even cause troublesome social problems even amongst his own people.
    The appearance must be present in and out of costume to count as Hindrance - all supervillains are distinctive in costume.

Gimmick (Major)
    Your character must change clothes, get angry, drink blood, summon mystical energy, imbibe a pill or potion, or otherwise perform some unseemly task to access his powers - all his powers. Whatever the case, the villain can be prevented from using his powers if he cannot enact his "gimmick". The villain cannot use any of his powers - or Edges or Traits bought with Power Points - without it.
    Two Characters: If your villain transforms into a completely different person, both characters should be made separately, with the "normal" person created as a normal Novice character. Advances gained through play may be added to either form, but not both.

Gloater (Major)
    Villains are known for gloating over their foes when they should be killing them, or foolishly revealing their mastery plans when they think their opponents are doomed. Your character suffers from this same affliction.
    The first round of any combat must be spent announcing the doom of those who oppose him. If for some reason your villain must act instead, it costs him a benny.
    Second, your villain never delivers a finishing blow to a foe. Instead, he creates elaborate death traps, leaves them to die, or orders his minions to finish them while he stalks off well out of earshot. Inevitably, these foes survive and escape the minions, death trap, and so on.

Heartless (Minor)
    The character isn't necessarily Bloodthirsty (though she might be), but she is willing to commit murder to further her own goals. She doesn't take glee in killing but doesn't let it stand in her way either.

Power Negation (Major)
    Exposure to a certain substance or condition robs your villain of his powers or makes them ineffective. In addition, your character suffers a -4 penalty to all Trait rolls made while under the substance's efforts.
    The substance should be relatively uncommon or expensive, such as gold, holy ground, or lightning storms. Very rare substances - chunks of your alien's home planet, lotus flowers - are possible as well, but word of your weakness is out there and can be easily appropriated by the V'sori if needed.

Servitor (Major)
    Your villain is the servant of a greater entity that grants him his power. While your character may have his own plans, he ultimately serves his master's agenda, whatever that may be. This must be fleshed out before the game begins, so that the Game Master can devise the master's plans and what his minion's role in it may be. Regardless, the master cannot be defied. If it is, it unleashes its full power upon the defiant lackey in an attempt to show its other minions what happens to those who are disloyal.

Terminally Ill (Major)
    Your character suffers from a terminal and incurable illness and is going to die sometime soon. At the beginning of every game session, draw a card. A face card means your villain's symptoms are acting up this session. Whatever the specifics may be, he suffers a -1 penalty to all his Trait rolls this game.
    If the draw is a Joker, your hero is about to die, and he knows it. At some point in the game session, preferably after accomplishing an important goal or an act of personal redemption, he dies. The GM should always give a dying villain a few last rounds of action to commit their last acts.

Weakness (Major/Minor)
    Your villain is more susceptible to a specific type of attack, such as ice/cold, fire/heat, radiation, magic, darkness, light, air, sound, kinetic energy, and so on. When hit by such an attack, the attacker does +d12 damage as a Minor hindrance, or double damage as a Major Hindrance.
    Your villain's weakness isn't public knowledge, but anyone who does a little research on them should find out eventually - typically after one or two encounters. The police, prior to the invasion, almost certainly knew about it if your villain was a public threat. Which means Mayor Perez and others can give the data to the V'sori once asked for it.

---------

NEW EDGES
    These Edges are in addition to those available in the basic game.

ARCANE EDGES

Arcane Background (Super Powers)
    Requirements: Arcane Background (Super Powers) works very differently from all other Arcane Backgrounds. You have 10 Power Points with which to buy superpowers from those listed on the following pages. No arcane skill is required. Superpowers work "at will" and require no roll unless the specific power says otherwise.
    New Powers: Superheroes buy new powers by getting the Power Points Edge. Note that this Edge may only be taken once per Rank as usual (including once at Novice Rank), so a character's core powers likely change very little once their initial powers are selected. New Power Points may be saved up as well, so that a hero can buy a very expensive power by saving up.
    This is done to reflect the particular style of comic book heroes. A fire-wielding pyromaniac doesn't gain web shooters after a few adventures, for example, but might increase the damage of his flake strike or learn to fight better (by taking Combat Edges instead of new powers).
    Super Karma: Super-powered characters are larger than life, with faults and responsibilities as great as their miraculous powers. Supers may take an additional Major Hindrance to grant them 5 extra Power Points during charcter creation.

COMBAT EDGES

Combat Sense
    Requirement: Seasoned, Fighting d8+, Notice d8+
    This character is adept at fighting and keeping track of multiple foes. Opponents gain no Gang Up bonus against him.

Take the Hit
    Requirements: Novice, Vigor d10+
    Characters with this Edge are good at rolling with punches are lucky, have fate on their side, or are perhaps just really tough. They add +2 to Soak rolls made to eliminate wounds.

PROFESSIONAL EDGES

Jack-of-all-Trades
    Requirements: Novice, Smarts d10+
    Through liberal book-learning, computer enhanced skill programs, or just amazing intuitive perception, your villain has a talent for picking up skills on the fly.
    Any time he makes an unskilled roll for a Smarts-based skill, he may do so at a d4 instead of the usual d4-2.

Mechanical Genius
    Requirements: Novice, Smarts d6+, Repair d6+, Notice d8+
    This character can improvise something when the need for a tool arises. He suffers no negative penalties on Trait rolls for lack of equipment in most situations.
    In addition, given a few simple tools, props, or devices, he can generally rig simple devices to help escape from death traps, devise weapons to match some bizarre need, or otherwise create something that's needed when such a thing isn't actually present. The extent of this is completely up to the Game Master, but creativity should be rewarded, particularly in dire situations where few other answers are possible.

----------------

SETTING RULES

Arcane Background (Superpowers)
    In Necessary Evil, all player characters start the game with the Arcane Background (Super Powers) Edge for free! If you want to play a character without this free Edge, you get another free Edge of your choice instead (and good luck - you'll need it!)

Unarmed Defenders
    The Unarmed Defender rule is inappropriate for the genre and is ignored.

Knockback
    The concept of super-powerful blows and blasts knocking characters all over the battlefield is a staple of the comic book genre. A successful hit by a character with a Strength of d12 or greater causes the foe to fly backwards 1d4", plus an additional 1d4" per raise on the attack roll. Only kinetic damage causes knockback of course - poison gas, choking mists and the like do not cause knockback.
    Add +1d6 to the total damage if the victim hits a substantial object, such as a wall or a tree. This must be worked out during the damage roll - before the knockback occurs conceptually. This may seem a bit awkward at first, but is much better than rolling damage a second time.

-----------------

Gear next!
    Last edited by Ramses; 28 Feb 2011 at 04:27 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

GEAR
    With the advent of super-intelligent gadgeteers making all manner of hyper-advanced equipment, it is inevitable that it would advance the general technological state of the world. Indeed there are many advanced technologies that are available on the black market and by certain high-tech companies - if the price is right.
    All modern gear uses standard modern prices. New gear is listed below.

Black Market Items
    Under V'sori rule, all weapons, armors and their accessories have been outlawed, as well as certain miscellaneous gear deemed dangerous. They can only be obtained through the Black Market and multiply all prices by 10 (including those listed below). Characters use the normal prices when purchasing their starting gear. This equipment is considered their pre-invasion stash.
    Locating an item through the Black Market requires a Streetwise roll. Botching this roll means the villain has attracted some unwanted attention.

ARMOR

Ablative Armor:
    Designed by Bulletproof Tech, Inc, this armor is designed to absorb the worst effects of incoming damage. While relatively cheap, this armor is bulky and degrades after withstanding a certain amount of punishment. When the wearer takes a hit that would result in a Wound, the armor takes the Wound instead, degrading one level of protection in the process. When it reaches Armor +o, the armor is useless.
    {Armor +2, Weight 10 lb, Cost 200, Heavy Armor; covers torso, head}

DuraWeave Armor:
    DuraWeave armor is a form of body armor almost as light as clothing. DuraWeave is very concealable, an observer is at -4 to Notice to spot it. For double the cost, a set of clothing can be lined with DuraWeave imposing a -6 to Notice rolls.
    {Armor +1, Weight 5lb, Cost 500(1000 hidden), Heavy Armor; covers torso, arms, legs}

Flak Jacket:
    {Armor +2 / +4 vs. bullets, Weight 12 lb, Cost 80, covers torso}

Kevlar Vest:
    {Armor +2 / +4 vs. bullets, Weight 8 lb, Cost 250, covers torso only; negates AP 4}

Kevlar Vest w/ Inserts:
    {Armor +4 / +8 vs. bullets, Weight 12 lb, Cost 1200: as Kevlar}

Modified Fin Combat Armor:
    For more protection, stolen Fin Combat Armor that has been adjusted to human size is available. The price listed is for human-sized Fin Combat Armor: Size +1 or +2 costs half the listed price.
    {Armor +2, Weight 10lb, Cost 1500, Heavy Armor; covers torso, arms, legs, head.}

Motorcycle Helmet:
    {Armor +3, Weight 5 lb, Cost 75, 50% chance of protecting against head shots}

Personal Combat Armor:
    Personal combat armor is worn by the V'sori elite, and is highly prized by those who manage to get their hands on it.
    {Armor +4, Weight 15lb, Cost (V'sori only), Heavy Armor; covers torso, arms, legs, head}

Tactical Helmet: The tactical helmet is a heavy duty helmet with integrated short-range communications and heads-up display used primarily by SOCorp operatives.
    {Armor +4, Weight 1lb, Cost 200, Heavy Armor; covers head}

Z-Belt:
    Limited to the realm of science fiction until recently, force fields provide the wearer protection against energy and some kinetic attacks. First developed terrestrially by famed physicist and engineer Arthur Ziggler, copies of the Ziggler Force Belt, or Z-Belt for short, found their way into the possession of many a super-criminal. Some V'sori officers use shield technology that observers theorize works on the same principles as Ziggler's Z-Belt.
    Like ablative armor, the Z-Belt provides additional protection that degrades upon absorbing damage. Unlike ablative armor, the Z-Belt can be recharged and used again without replacing the device.
    {Armor +1, Weight 1lb, Cost 500, Heavy Armor: covers all}

WEAPONS

Hand Weapons

Axe:
    {Str+d6, Weight 2 lb, Cost 200}

Battle Axe:
    {Str+d8, Weight 10 lb, Cost 300}

Billy Club/Baton:
    {Str+d4, Weight 1 lb, Cost 10}

Brass Knuckles:
    {Str+d4, Weight 1 lb, Cost 20}

Chainsaw:
    {2d6+4, Weight 20, Cost 20; Roll of 1 on Fighting die hits user}

Electro-Lance:
    First encountered during WWII when Atlantean strike teams aided the Allies against the Axis powers in the Pacific, electro-lances appear to be simple, 6' poles made of a sleek black metal. Hidden studs near the center and ends of the versatile weapon activate a powerful burst of electricity that can stun or kill even the mightiest undersea denizens.
    The weapon causes 2d6 electrical damage to anyone it even touches (+2 to Fighting rolls) and gives it a +1 Parry. When used underwater, the electrical damage applies to everyone within a Small Burst Template in front of the electro-lance. Electro-lances are capable of ten blasts before requiring a recharge. They also make efficient bludgeons and defensive weapons when their charges run out (Str+1).
    {Str+2d6, Weight 5lb, Cost 750, Notes; reach 1, requires 2 hands, Parry +1}

Great Axe:
    {Str+d10, Weight 15 lb, Cost 500; AP 1, Parry -1, requires 2 hands}

Great Sword:
    {Str+d10, Weight 12 lb, Cost 400; Parry -1, requires 2 hands}

Halberd:
    {Str+d8, Weight 15 lb, Cost 250; Reach 1, requires 2 hands}

Katana:
    {Str+d6+2, Weight 6 lb, Cost 1000; AP 2}

Knife:
    {Str+d4, Weight 1 lb, Cost 25}

Long Sword:
    {Str+d8, Weight 8 lb, Cost 300}

Short Sword:
    {Str+d6, Weight 4 lb, Cost 200}

Spear:
    {Str+d6, Weight 5 lb, Cost 250; Parry +1, Reach 1, requires 2 hands}

Staff:
    {Str+d4, Weight 8 lb, Cost 10; Parry +1, Reach 1, requires 2 hands}

Switchblade:
    {Str+d4, Weight 1 lb, Cost 10; -2 to Notice if hidden}

Vibro-Weapons:
    Another weapon favored by the V'sori, vibro-weapons generate ultra-high frequency vibrations capable of cutting through the heaviest armor.
    Vibro-Knife {Str+d6+2, Weight 1 lb, Cost 500, Notes: Heavy Weapon, AP 2}
    Vibro-Sword {Str+d8+2, Weight 5 lb, Cost 1000, Notes: Heavy Weapon, AP 2}

Ranged Weapons

Axe, throwing:
    {Range 3/6/12, DMG Str+d6, RoF 1, Cost 75, Weight 2 lb, Min Str d6}

Blaster Weapons:
    The V'sori use a number of particle beam weapons, or blasters as they are more commonly known. These weapons have high armor penetration, and are keyed to particular V'sori by palm-print technology so they can't be used by enemies. Blaster Weapons may extend three times the normal ammo to overcharge their shots, making them count as Heavy Weapons.
    Blaster Pistol {Range 15/30/60, 3d6, RoF 1, (V'sori only), Weight 5 lb, Shots 20, Notes; DT, AP 4}
    Blaster Rifle {Range 30/60/120, 3d6, RoF 3, (V'sori only), Weight 10 lb, Shots 45, Min Str d4, Notes; AP 4, 3RB}
    Blaster Machine Gun {Range 50/100/200, 3d8, RoF 3, (V'sori only), Weight 15 lb, Shots 180, Min Str d8, AP 4}

Chitral Systems Mega-Taser:
    Designed and developed by Pakistani weapons lab Chitral Systems, classifying the mega-taser as a no-kill weapon is a bit of a stretch. Almost any normal human being being hit by a charge from this short-range, stubby pistol would surely suffer a severe system shock and die. The Mega-taser was designed for incapacitating powerful supers on the rampage. Its high-voltage charge is ideal for stunning the superhuman metabolism of the average brickhouse.
    The mega-taser causes 2d6 electrical damage and causes the target to make a Vigor roll at -4 or be Shaken for 1d4 rounds.
    {Range 2/4/8, 2d6, Cost 1000, Weight 8 lbs, Min Str d6}

Composite Bow:
    {Range 15/30/60, 2d6+1, RoF 1, Cost 200, Weight 10 lbs, Min Str d6}

Crossbow:
    {Range 15/30/60, 2d6, RoF 1, Cost 300, Weight 10 lbs, Min Str d6, AP 2; Reload 1}

Gyrojet Rifle:
    A number of companies have developed specialized weapons designed for use in aquatic combat zones. Gyrojet weapons have ammunition equipped with internal mini-thrusters which propel it through the water and make the minute adjustments in course and speed necessary for accurate fire in an aquatic environment. They may be used above water but at half the usual range.
    {Range 20/40/80, 2d10, RoF 1, Cost 800, Weight 12 lb, Shots 20, Min Str d6}

Knife:
    {Range 3/6/12, Str+d4, RoF 1, Cost 50, Weight 25 lb}

Machine Guns:
    Light MG {Range 24/48/96, 2d8, RoF 3, Cost 400, Weight 8 lbs, Shots 30, AP 2, 3RB}
    Heavy MG {Range 30/60/120, 2d8+1, RoF 3, Cost 750, Weight 20 lb, Shots 200, Min Str d8, AP 2, Snapfire}
    -Submachine Guns:
    Uzi (9mm) {Range 12/24/48, 2d6, RoF 3, Cost 300, Weight 9 lb, Shots 32, AP 1}

Nullifier Gun:
    Amongst the weaponry of the V'sori, the nullifier gun is potentially the most terrifying for super-villains. This weapon fires a neutralizer ray that renders inert any natural or artificial energy signature. In other words, it takes away super-powers! Thankfully, the nullifier gun uses a special found only on one of the V'sori worlds, so the guns are rare. When hit, a target must make a Spirit roll at -4 or lose ALL super-powers for 2d6 rounds. The nullifier gun can fire up to 5 shots before it is exhausted.
    {12/24/48, DMG Special, (V'sori only), Weight 5 lb}

Pistols:
    9mm .38 {Range 12/24/48, 2d6, RoF 1, Cost 200, Weight 3 lb, Shots 12, Notes; AP 1, DT}
    .357 .45 {Range 12/24/48, 2d6+1, RoF 1, Cost 250, Weight 5 lb, Shots 7, AP 2; DT}
    .50 {Range 15/30/60, 2d8, RoF 1, Cost 300, Weight 8 lb, Shots 7, AP 2, DT}
    M2 HeroKiller {Range 10/20/40, 3d6, RoF 1, Cost 300, Weight 10 lb, Shots 5, Min Str d6, Notes: HW, AP 3}

Plasma Rifle:
    Prior to the invasion, many world governments took it upon themselves to develop a weapons program that would allow them to outfit mundane soldiers with enough high-tech weapons to take down a super-powered threat without having to rely upon superpowered assistance. They have a very short range but pack a powerful punch.
    {Range 12/24/48, 3d10, RoF 1, Cost 3000, Weight 8 lbs, Shots 12, Notes; HW, AP 4}

POS-1 Net Gun:
    This shotgun-sized rifle with a bulbous barrel was developed by Seattle's Poseidon Dynamics in answer to a challenge by billionaire industrialist George Waits. A world-renowned precious metals speculator and philanthropolist, Waits got tired of seeing anti-globalization protestors injured by riot policeman just trying to do their jobs. Poseidon engineered a rifle that fires a super-strong, but ultra-soft net synthesized from actual spider's silk.
    With a successful hit, any targets must make an Agility roll versus the attacker's Shooting result. If successful, the target gets out of the way; otherwise they become entangled in the spider-silk net, and are at -2 to Pace and skills linked to Strength and Agility until freed. The victim must make a Strength or Agility roll at -2 to get free. A raise allows the villain to break free and act this turn.
    {Range 5/10/20, DMG special, Cost 500, Weight 10 lb, Min Str d6}

POS-2 Foam Thrower:
    Another wonder from the labs of Poseidon Dynamics, the Foam Thrower Cannon was first employed during the 1999 Conference On Super-Genetics in Star City. Riot police used FOam Throwers mounted on fire trucks to section off pockets of unruly protestors, pinning them into dead-end alleys or corralling them against buildings for later incarceration. The foam-thrower fills an area equal to a Small Burst Template with quick-hardening foam. Anyone caught in the area of effect must make an Agility roll versus the Shooting result or be caught in the hardened foam. The foam is permanent until a solvent is applied or one wound is caused (Toughness 10, vulnerable to blunt or cutting attacks).
    {Range 10/20/40, DMG special, Cost 2000, Weight 400 lb, Min Str d12}

Stun Wands:
    When an assailant gets too close, it's often handy to have something that will take him down without taking him out. That's where the stun wand comes into play. Utilizing a complex neuro-chemical charge, the stun wand actually delivers an atomized dose of super-anesthetic to the target's exposed flesh, causing almost instantaneous numbness without harming the heart or other vital systems. Looking like little more than a 16" black plastic rod, the wand activates with the touch of a stud located in its handle.
    The stun wand only works on exposed flesh. If the attacker makes a successful Touch Attack (+2 to the Fighting roll), the victim must make a Vigor roll or be paralyzed. The victim is knocked prone and unable to move for 2d6 rounds.
    {Melee range, DMG special, Cost 200, Weight 1 lb}

Rifles:
    Heavy Sniper Rifle {50/100/200, 2d10, RoF 1, Cost 750, Weight 35 lbs, Shots 11, Min Str d8, Notes; HW, AP 4, Snapfire}

Shotguns:
    Double Barrel 12g {Range 12/24/48, 1-3d6, RoF 1-2, Cost 150, Weight 6 lb, Shots 2}
    Pump Action 12g {Range 12/24/48, 1-3d6, RoF 1, Cost 350, Weight 8 lb, Shots 6}
    Sawed-Off DB 12g {Range 5/10/20, 1-3d6, RoF 1-2, Cost 350, Weight 6 lb, Shots 2}
    Streetsweeper 12g {12/24/48, 1-3d6, RoF 1, Cost 450, Weight 10 lb, Shots 12}

Weapon Accessories

Laser Sight:
    {Cost 50, Weight -, +1 to Shooting rolls, cannot be used w/ scope}

Ruger RE-IV Targeting Eye:
    Venerable gun manufacturer Ruger Arms developed the Ruger Red-Eye Targeting Eye. The system consists of a headset containing a mini-computer that scans the target area and superimposes a 3-D targeting reticle over an eyepiece, allowing the user to more easily acquire ranged targets. The targeting eye must be calibrated to the targeting mechanism on the ranged weapon in use (Repair roll), but provides +1 to Shooting when in use.
    {Cost 200, Weight 1 lb, +1 to Shooting Rolls, stacks with other devices}

Scope:
    {Cost 50, Weight 1, +2 to Shooting rolls beyond Medium if unmoving}
    -Starlight {Cost 200, Weight 2, Low Light Vision}
    -IR Scope {Cost 400, Weight 3, Infravision}

Ammo

Arrows:
    Standard {Cost 1/2, Weight 1/5}
    Teflon {Cost 5, Weight 1/5, AP 2}
    -Bolts
    Quarrel {Cost 2, Weight 1/5, AP 2}

Bullets:
    Small {Cost 10/50, Weight 3/50, includes .22-.32}
    Medium {Cost 25/50, Weight 5/50, includes 9mm-.45}
    Large {Cost 50/50, Weight 8/50, includes .50 and rifle rounds}

HeroKill Ammunition:
    With the success of the M2-HK Pistol, Revile Industries took the ammo design and applied it for use with more common conventional weapons. Where heroes would once laugh off a street thug with an Uzi, they now took care to disarm the criminal for fear of being shot with HK bullets.
    HeroKiller Bullets {As Bullets' cost x20, Weight varies, converts standard ammo into HW}

Trick Projectiles:
    Trick projectiles encompass any kind of thrown or launched projectile, with prominent examples including arrows, billiard balls, boomerangs, darts, knives, and seemingly innocuous kitchen implements. The range will vary according to the delivery system (i.e. a bow will fire a trick arrow farther than a normal person can hurl a pool ball)
    Adhesive {Cost 50, Weight 1, Target held in goop as per POS-2 Foam}
    Bludgeon {Cost 1, Weight 1, causes nonlethal}
    Concussion {Cost 50, Weight 1, Vigor at -2 or Shaken}
    Net {Cost 100, Weight 1, Target held by net as per POS-1 Net}
    Rope {Cost 50, Weight 2, Deploys up to 50" rope}

OTHER GEAR

Clothing

Camouflage Fatigues:
    {Cost 20, +1 Stealth in camouflaged environment}

Formal Clothing:
    {Cost 200}

Normal Clothing:
    {Cost 20}

Communication

Cellular Phone:
    {Cost 20}

CommLink:
    Perhaps one of the most valuable items to the resistance members is their CommLink. It allows a secure communication within a cell across the globe. In addition, the CommLink functions as a digital assistant able to store and access files. The most important files is the V'sori Military Activity Profile (or V-MAP). This file is constantly updated with intelligence and information gathered from other resistance cells. It provides a list of open missions that cells can choose from. CommLinks weigh 1 lb and are available to resistance members only.
    {Cost N/A, Weight 1 lb}

Walkie-Talkie (2):
    {Cost 150, Weight 1 lb. Range 1 mile}

Computers

Desktop:
    {Cost 800, Weight 20 lb}

Laptop:
    {Cost 1200, Weight 5 lb}

Handheld:
    {Cost 250, Weight 1 lb}

GPS Reader:
    The Global Positioning Software Readers allows the user to get up-to-the-second information from orbital satellites on his current position on the Earth. Current GPS Readers have been developed to the point where they may be worn on a watch-band or hung on a cord from the neck for easy access.
    {Cost 250, Weight 1 lb}

Holographic Projector:
    Designed as plug-ins for modern computers and PDA's, these woundrous devices project a three-dimensional image above the screen, allowing pre-recorded messages or live chat to be displayed as moving figures.
    {Cost 500}

Food

Fast Food Meal:
    {Cost 5 lb, Weight 1 lb}

Good Meal (Restaurant):
    {Cost 15+}

MRE (Meal Ready to Eat):
    {Cost 10, Weight 1 lb}

Trail Rations (One Week):
    {Cost 10, Weight 5 lb}

Survival & Combat Gear

Artificial Gill:
    Another useful item is an artificial gill that allows breathing underwater indefinitely. This is an invaluable tool when fighting aquatic invaders.
    {Cost 100, Weight 1 lb}

Autograpnel:
    This pistol-gripped climbing device sports several hundred yards of super-fine nylon cord that is strong enough to support hundreds of pounds of weight. More important, its spear-headed tip can be fired into rock-hard substances as its grappling claws deploy and bury themselves deeply in for a secure hold. Once the user is confident in the grapnel's hold, he can activate the winch action and hang on for the ride! The auto-grapnel has a range of 12/24/48, the grapnel is attached to a 50" long, strong nylon rope. The winch allows someone holding onto the gun top (up to 300 lbs) to be pulled along at a rate of 10" per round.
    {Cost 100, Weight 5 lb}

Medical Gear

Combat Drugs:
    Sadly, as society's technological advances have grown by leaps and bounds, so too has it's appetite for illegal narcotics. In addition to a dizzying number of new designer drugs that can get someone high, narcotics manufacturers have developed a series of combat drugs designed to grant normal humans a boost to match supers. Known in the lab as Metazol A, B and C, this family of drugs is known by many names, including Cape, Supa, Met-Z, Z and far too many others. The drugs are normally digested as color-coded capsules, with each one augmenting a different physical attribute.
    Red affects Agility, blue affects Strength and white affects Vigor. All three versions have the same terrible side effects, including long term loss of health (liver and stomach damage) and mental instability (addiction, megalomania, suicidal tendencies).
    In game terms, each pill you take boosts the respective attribute for 1d4 minutes. Taking multiple pills means multiple boosts. However, after the duration is up, the user must make a Vigor roll at a negative equal to the number of pills he took. If successful, he is simply Shaken from nausea for id4 rounds. If the roll is failed, they take a number of levels of fatigue equal to the number of pills taken. This means that a character can be put to incapacitated if the roll is failed, retching and twitching on the ground. Prolonged usage (greater than five times a week) or botching a Vigor roll results in picking up Habit (Major: Combat Drugs) and possible later illnesses.
    =Red (Agility) {Cost 20}
    -White (Strength) {Cost 20}
    -Blue (Vigor) {Cost 20}

Med Stims:
    This remarkable nanotech device represents the pinnacle of human medical technology both before and after the V'sori invasion. Packaged in small, plastic tubular injectors, Med-stims are pressed into the skin of the arm or leg and provide an immediate anesthetic treatment to nearly any injury. Tiny nanotech devices then go to work, traveling to the site of the most grievous injury and repairing the damage. Of course, too much of a good thing can be bad, and most bodies can't mandle more than one swarm of nanites marauding around inside of them per day. Med stims increase the speed of natural healing to one roll to heal a wound every hour. The med stims wear out after three hours, allowing a maximum of three healing rolls.
    (Cost 1000, Weight 1 lb)

Personal Transport

Rocket Packs:
    Rocketpacks are a backpack device that are attached via a secure chest harness. Made popular by the Rocket Commandoes super team, their designs were eventually copied by military and private industry, allowing them to become smaller, cheaper and more stable. The rocket packs have simple palm controls, allowing people to use both hands while the rocket is placed in "hover" mode. In game terms, rocket packs allow a person to fly with an Acceleration of 6 and a Top Speed of 24, using the Pilot skill to operate properly. Fuel is expensive for the rocket packs, approximately 50 per hour of flight (maximum 5 hours).
    {Cost 2500, Weight 30}

Warp Shunts:
    Appearing in the black market shortly after the appearance of the aliens (assumed to be of alien origin as well), warp shunts are small short-range teleport devices, used for surprise assaults or quick escapes. These devices look like oversized plastic wristwatches with a green-glowing display. The user can set a teleport destination within 1 mile by specifying latitude, longitude and sea level height. There is then a 5-round power-up before the teleport occurs, during which the user and all his belongings (up to 100 lb) are transferred to the specified location. Alternately, the warp shunt can be used without coordinates, in which case it instantly sends the user 1 mile in a random direction. Warp shunts are an one-use item, the power surge caused burns out the circuits. Wearing more than one is dangerous, as there is a 1 in 6 chance that a random teleport is triggered in each additional warp shunt.
    Note that the shunts are rare, and accessible only on the black market.
    {Cost 5000, Weight 1}

Surveillance & Stealth

Nightvision Goggles:
    These goggles are designed to fit over the eyes and are kept in place by straps. Passive nightvision goggles give you the equivalent of Low Light Vision while active nightvision goggles give you the equivalent of Infravision. Sudden bright lights may cause temporary blindness (the user becomes Shaken if they fail a Vigor roll at -4), so care should be taken in using them.
    -Passive {Cost 1000, Weight 3 lb}
    -Active {Cost 2500, weight 5 lb}

Stealth Suit:
    Cat burglars, intelligence operatives and freedom fights all find stealth suits a useful tool in getting in and out of high-security facilities in one piece. This stealth suit is a head-to-toe body suit that provides a chameleon-like cloaking effect. These suits can sometimes be found on the black market. The suit adds +2 to Stealth rolls.
    {Cost 2500}

Miscellaneous Gear

Backpack:
    {Cost 50, weight 2 lb}

Bedroll:
    {Cost 25, Weight 4 lb}

Camera:
    -Disposable: {Cost 10, Weight 1 lb}
    -Digital: {Cost 100, Weight 1 lb}

Canteen:
    {Cost 5, Weight 1 lb}

Crowbar:
    {Cost 10, Weight 2 lb}

Flashlight (Heavy Duty):
    {Cost 20, Weight 3 lb}

Handcuffs:
    {Cost 15, Weight 2 lb}

Lantern:
    {Cost 25, Weight 3 lb}

Lockpicks:
    {Cost 200, Weight 1 lb}

Rope (10"):
    {Cost 10, Weight 15 lb}

Shovel:
    {Cost 5, Weight 5 lb}

Tool Kit:
    {Cost 200, Weight 5 lb}

Special

Nullifier Gauntlets:
    Nullifier shackles are an ingenious V'sori devices that renders inert any supernatural or synthetic energy signature, such as those occuring in super-humans. Naturally, these shackles are much feared and hated amongst the super-human community. The shackles are very strong (Toughness 14), requiring a considerable force to break.
    {(V'sori only), Weight 1 lb}

----------------
    Vehicles:
    There are many of these, including the usual range of vehicles, high-tech upgrades, some advanced terrestrially-constructed super-vehicles and, most commonly seen, an array of V'sori ships. Stats will be supplied as needed.

The Yaschuk Aerodyne Flying Car is a popular tool of many rich or dastardly villains, a flying car - a pre-invasion vehicle - that can be outfitted into a flying engine of destruction as needed.

The Atlantean Seahorse is a mini-submarine, lightly armored transport designed to travel intermediate distances. They were once common sights in and around Atlantis before the bombing.

The most often seen are the V'sori Barracuda, akin to a police cruiser on steroids used by the V'sori on patrols of 'their' territory.

The V'sori King Crab is a larger version of this, with a turret cannon, a mobile and versatile tank.

The V'sori Sargasso is a repulsorlift vehicle used for transporting a variety of payloads, their most basic 'delivery' vehicle for sensitive materials.

The V'sori Stingray is a sign of an important man - the personal repulsorlift vehicle du choice of V'sori commanders.

The V'sori Mbuna is an armored transport repulsorlift craft. It serves as a personnel carrier, prisoner transport and assault support vehicle depending on its outfit. It comes complete with the ability to briefly gain altitude, two light laser-turrets, and the ability to perform amphibious action.

The V'sori Man-o'-War is the primary interstellar battleship for the V'sori, a massive engine of destruction. The sight of it is a haunting reminder of their military power.

The V'sori Manta is their multi-environment fighter, the iconic fighter-jet of their powerful army.

Registered
    Feb 2011

POWERS

What follows is a list of powers to be used in Necessary Evil. Most powers have "modifiers" to their basic cost as well. These are special enhancements or limitations to flavor, expand or limit your villain's powers. Unless stated otherwise, all powers cost a minimum of 1 Power Point. Most passive powers don't require any sort of activation or skill roll, and are simply always on. However, most such powers offer the option to require activation in exchange for a slight discount. These are activated as "free actions," but still must come on a player's action card if in combat. That means a villain struck from ambush - before he states he activates a power - doesn't have it.
    Active powers such as attack, ranged, require a Shooting or Throwing roll as usual, and grant bonus damage for a raise as normal. The titles of each power will be the name of it, followed by it's base cost before any modifiers. Beneath such will be Trappings if it requires it - explaining some of the flavor variations on the presentation of the power.

ABSORBPTION (4)
    Trappings: Waves of energy, body of reflected matter, magic.
    This ability allows a villain to absorb damage and negate it, or even channel the energy back into his body.
    Your villain's absorption works only on a particular type of energy, such as ice/cold, fire/heat, magic, radiation, kinetic (includes bullets and punching), slicing (swords and knives), et cetera.
    The villain must make a Vigor roll when wounded. Each success and raise eliminates an incoming wound from an attack. It will not remove wounds already suffered.
    Modifiers:
    -Requires Activation (-1): The power must be activated. This is a free action, but it isn't the character's "normal" state.
    -Transference (+3): Each wound negated can be transferred to increase Strength or Vigor one step. The increase lasts three rounds after the most recent increase, only cancelling if three rounds pass without incurring more wound-negation.
    -Reflection (+5): This modifier actually redirects the damage back toward its source, as long as the source is within line of sight. Every wound absorbed causes a wound to the original attacker.

AGELESS (1)
    The villain isn't affected by aging. This power should usually only be purchased during character creation, but there are ways to gain immortality through play as well.
    Modifiers:
    -Very Old (+1): The character is already old, increasing his life experience so that he adds +2 to Common Knowledge rolls. TO actually reflect this life, you might want to put additional points in increasing his skills as well (via super-skill).

ALTERED FORM (3)
    Trappings: Body composed of a particular matter of energy, elasticity, telescopic arms and legs.
    The villain has a body of sand, water, metal, rubber or other matter, or can stretch or manipulate it. He can assume any basic shape, but does not actually look like other items or people without the chameleon power. The basic power costs 3 points and allows him to extend or compact his body by 50%. This gives him a Reach of 1, as well. Rubbery bodies or those made of matter have a +4 against attacks resulting from other matter and kinetics (including bullets, fists, etc). Bodies made of energy are exactly opposite +4 against energy attacks, but no protection versus physical.
    Modifiers:
    -Fall-Proof (+1): Villains with this modifier suffer half damage from falling, crashes or similar incidents. They can never be killed by a fall or a crash, though they can be incapacitated.
    -More Elastic (+1): Each time this modifier is taken allows the villain to further modify his size, width and thickness by an additional 50% and his Reach by +1. With More Elastic +2, for example, he could grow 150% higher (~15 feet high) and has a reach of 3.
    -Replenish (+3): If the villain's form is actually made of energy or matter, and he contacts an identical and substantial source of energy or matter, he may spend an action to make a Spirit roll. A success grants him +2 steps in Strength for five rounds, or heals one wound.
    -Requires Activation (-1): The power must be activated. This is a free action, but it isn't the character's "normal" state (i.e. he can 'flame on' but doesn't walk around on fire all the time). If taken by surprise, they are caught in their normal form.

ANIMAL CONTROL (Varies)
    Trappings: "Jungle folk", animal characteristics, high-tech devices, magical flute.
    The villain has the ability to control animals within a number of miles equal to the villain's Spirit, and may even have a constant animal companion.
    Type of Animal Controlled - Cost
    Swarm of Rats/Insects/Vermin. A specific animal less than Large in size. (2)
    A single Large animal. Two smaller animals. (4)
    A single Huge animal. Two Large animals or five animals less than Large in size. (8)

Modifiers:
    -Animal Companion (x2): The animals are always with the villain wherever he goes. This can be as much of a drawback as it is an advantage.
    -Shapechanger (+5): Instead of controlling animals, the villain can become them. He gains the physical Attributes of the creature if greater than his own, and all special abilities of the animal, including all forms of movement. This modifier cannot be combined with the other Animal Control modifiers except Unique, in which case the character can only transform into one specific animal form.
    -Summoning (+5): The animals can be summoned and dispelled at will.
    The creatures appear within 12 feet of the villain.
    -Superpowers (Variable as per power): Special creatures can be created as well. Start with the basic statistics of the animal or similar creature, then add Power Points at a cost of 1 Power Point spent per Power Point used on the creature.
    -Telepathic Link (+1): The villain can call to animals via telepathy. They understand his basic instructions and can read their basic emotions.
    -Unique (Half cost): Halve the total cost if the creature summoned is unique and not easily replaced when slain. Replacements can be found and trained, and often require a long trek to a remote, dangerous locale.

ANIMATION (Variable)
    Trappings: Magic, nanobots, spirits.
    The character can animate objects and cause them to come to life. This requires an action. The size of hte object depends on the number of points put into the power, as shown below. A villain can animate one object up to the size allowed by his power. Multiple objects may be animated from lesser categories. A villain with animation at 6 points, for example, could give life to two 25 lb objects (level 2), or three 10 lb objects (level 1).
    See the object's statistics below. Pace is figured as if the object "walked" based on its likely height and stride. Vehicles or other objects with inherent locomotion move at their normal Pace.
    Objects remain animated as long as the character desires, but a little bit of his essence must be used to maintain their "life". This inflicts a -2 penalty to all of the character's actions until the object is no longer animated. This is not cumulative.
    Points, Object Weight, Object Strength, Size, Pace
    1, 10 lbs, d4 strength, -2 size, Pace 4.
    2, 25 lbs, d6 strength, -1 size, Pace 4.
    3, 50 lbs, d8 strength, 0 size, Pace 6.
    4, 100 lbs, d10 strength, +1 size, Pace 6.
    5, 250 lbs, d12 strength, +2 size, Pace 8.
    6, 500 lbs, d12+1 strength, +3 size, Pace 8.
    7, 1000 lbs, d12+2 strength, +4 size, Pace 10.
    8, 1 ton, d12+3 strength, +5 size, Pace 10.
    10, 2 tons, d12+4 strength, +6 size, Pace 12.
    12, 5 tons, d12+5 strength, +7 size, Pace 12.
    14, 10 tons, d12+6 strength, +8 size, Pace 14.
    16, 25 tons, d12+7 strength, +9 size, Pace 14.
    18, 50 tons, d12+8 strength, +10 size, Pace 16
    etc.

Animated Object Stats:
    Attributes: Agility 26, Smarts d4(A), Spirit d4, Vigor d8, Strength
    Skills: Fighting d6, Notice d4, Throwing d4
    Pace: *, Parry: 5, Toughness: 6+ (Size x2)
    Special Abilities:
    -Armor: Animated objects generally have Armor equal to their Size.
    -Construct: +2 to recover from being Shaken; no additional damage from called shots; immune to disease and poison.
    -Size: * As above.

AQUATIC (1/2)
    Trappings: Atlantean heritage, amphibious mutation, sealed system suit, pocket re-breather.
    The villain is native to the water. He doesn't have to make swimming rolls to avoid drowning when in water, and adds +2 to all Swimming rolls. While in the water, his Pace is equal to his Swimming skills. For one point, this ability to operate underwater lasts for 5 hours, representing an air-lung, an insulated system or an air tank. For two points, this is the complete ability to breathe underwater.
    Modifiers:
    -Waverider(+1): Increases Pace in water by Swimmingx2. May be taken multiple times.
    -Needs Water (-1): The character must be completely immersed in salt water at least once every 24 hours or suffer a level of Fatigue. Incapacitated water-dwellers die 24 hours later if not immersed again. Every four hours spent immersed in salt water heals one level of Fatigue suffered this way. Can not reduce Aquatic's cost to 0.

ARMOR (2/4/6)

Trappings: Body armor, a shell, powered suits, made of rock, ability to become covered in metal.
    Your villain gains 3 points of Armor each time this power is purchased. This could represent mystical armor, power armor, or some other source of protection.
    Armor does not stack with regular armor, such as chain mail or Kevlar. The villain takes the highest value instead.
    Modifiers:
    -Heavy Armor (+2): The armor is considered Heavy Armor and can only be hurt by Heavy Weapons.
    -Requires Activation (-1): The armor must be activated. i.e, he doesn't eat, sleep and walk around armored up.
    -Partial protection (-1): The armor only covers the torso of the character. The head and limbs are exposed.

ATTACK, MELEE. (2/level [max 12])
    Trappings: Magical weapons, rock-hard fists, hands charged with energy, extreme martial arts.
    Your villain has a special melee attack. Each time the power is bought adds +1d6 to his hand-to-hand attack damage, to a maximum of +6d6. This attack counts as a Heavy Weapon.
    This bonus may be to hand weapons, if preferred. For instance, if applied to a greatsword (+d10 damage) and then given one level in attack, melee, that weapon in your hands does Str+d10+1d6 points of damage.
    Modifiers:
    -Armor Piercing (+1/2): Every point into this gives your attack an AP value of 2, allowing it to bypass that many points of armor.
    -Elemental Trick (+2): Your villain may add one option from the Elemental Tricks list to modify the power. This gives the melee attack an additional "special effect" of some sort, such as an "electro puch" or some such.
    -Focus (+3): Your villain may choose to bypass and ignore the armor of inanimate objects (not people or their armor) by taking a -4 to his Fighting roll. if a villain with this ability attacks a tank with a Toughness of 77 (60 armor), he ignores 60 points of armor and attacks its base of Toughness of 17.
    -Knockback (+2): Your attacks cause targets to fly back 1d4’ for each success and raise on the attack roll. If you normally cause knockback, this increases to 1d10’.
    -Nonlethal (+1): Foes wounded by your attack can, at your choice, be rendered unconscious rather than risk death. It is your choice whether any given attack is lethal or not.
    -Reach (+1): Your villain's natural attacks have a Reach of 1. This modifier may be purchased multiple times to further extend the reach.

ATTACK, RANGED (3)
    Trappings: Bolts, blasts, fire, water, hi-tech guns.
    You have a ranged attack of some sort. The range is 12/24/48, the damage is 2d6 and the attack counts as a Heavy Weapon.
    Modifiers:
    -Area Effect (+2/+4): For 2 additional points, the attack affects a radius of 24 feet. For 4 points, it's a 36 foot radius. Everyone within suffers the attack's damage.
    -Armor Piercing (+1 per level): Every point put into this attack gives your attack an AP value of 2 (2 is 4, 6 is 12, etc).
    -Elemental Trick (+2): Your villain may add one option from the Elemental Trick list.
    -Extra Damage (+3 per level; maximum 15): Your attack does an additional 1d6 damage for every 3 points put into this modifier, up to a maximum of 5d6 additional damage.
    -Focus (+3): Your villain may choose to bypass and ignore the armor of inanimate objects (not people or their armor) by taking a -4 to his Shooting/Throwing roll.
    -Knockback (+2): Your attack causes targets to fly back 1d6’ for each success and raise.
    -Nonlethal (+1): Foes wounded by your attacks can be rendered unconscious instead of risk death. It is your choice whether any given attack is lethal or not.
    -Rapid Fire (+3/6/9): You can fire another bolt/missile/whathaveyou each action, up to a maximum Rate of Fire of 3. You suffer no penalty for these extra attacks.
    -Requires Material (-2): You attack by hurling, throwing or manipulating matter that cannot be created or carried by you. If the material isn't present, whether it's metal to hurl with your mind or giant effing rocks to throw with your hands, you cannot use this power.

AWARENESS (3)
    Trappings: Radar, sonar, Zen training, amazing luck, bitten by a radioactive spider.
    Characters with awareness suffer no penalties due to bad lighting, fog, or other obscurement. Cover modifiers for solid protection apply normally.
    Modifiers:
    -Danger Sense (+5): The power is an early warning system. All attacks against the character suffer a -4 penalty as the villain dodges ahead of the actual attack. This does not stack with deflectio nor parry. The character also gets a Smarts roll to detect ambushes or hidden threats.
    -Requires Activation (-1): Your character's awareness must be activated. They do not walk around with their antenna up, bat ears out, their no-mind kata practiced, et cetera.

BROADCAST (1)
    Trappings: High-tech devices, machine men, big braces.
    The villain can tap into and control local radio and television broadcasts within one mile, or further with a direct feed of some sort.
    Modifiers:
    -Manipulation (+5): This dastardly power allows your villain to not only tap into broadcasts, but to manipulate them as well. He can render any electronic image or sound, mimicing popular news anchors, pop stars, or superheroes as long as he has studied that person before. Fabricating video evidence has never been easier.
    -More Range (+2): The villain can tap into broadcasts within about 1000 miles each time this modifier is purchased.

BURROWING (2)
    Trappings: Earth control, transform to sand.
    Burrowing characters can tunnel through earth at their basic Pace (and may "run" as well).
    A burrowing character may tunnel on her action, and may erupt from the ground at any point within her burrowing Pace the same round if desired. Burrowers cannot be attacked while beneath the earth unless the attacker has some special means of detecting them and penetrating through the intervening dirt.
    Burrowers strike by erupting from beneath their opponents and taking them by surprise. When this occurs, the Burrowing character makes an opposed Stealth roll versus the target's Notice. if the burrower wins, she gains a +2 to attack and damage that round, or +4 if she gains a raise. If the target wins and was on Hold, he may attack just as the burrower erupts from the ground.
    Solid rock, metal and other hard substances stop the tunneler cold.
    Modifiers:
    -Super Tunneler (+3): The digger can tunnel through rock, metal and other hard substances at the rate of 10 feet per minute.

CHAMELEON (3)
    Trappings: Malleable form, illusionary appearance, magic spells.
    This power allows the character to assume the appearance of another being or animal. The character cannot emulate someone more than 2 size levels different from himself. Someone familiar with the original target gets a Notice roll at -2 to detect that something is off (but only after short-range interaction). Clever roleplaying and intimate questions might also see through the disguise.
    Chameleons do not gain any of the target's abilities or Traits - only his appearance. (A chameleon with the copycat superpower can be VERY convincing!)
    Modifiers:
    -Inanimate Object (+3): The character can assume the shape of inanimate objects. The form assumed cannot vary from the villain's size by more than 50%.
    -Voice (+2): Your villain can emulate voices as well. The mimicry is perfect enough to fool voice identification devices. Combined with an assumed form, this modifier increases the Notice roll to detect the chameleon to -4.

CONSTRUCT (5)
    Trappings: A robot, cyborg, animated golem, mass of wires.
    This character is a living automaton, cyborg, robot, statue or android. Most are products of alien technology, weird science, or the supernatural. Player character constructs in Necessary Evil do actually have emotions and can feel fear. Their emotions are often complex, however, and many quest for “true life”.
    Constructs add +2 when attempting to recover from being Shaken, do not suffer from Wound modifiers, and are immune to disease or poison and suffocation, as they do not breathe nor have organic systems. Constructs do not suffer additional damage from called shots.
    Constructs do not heal wounds normally, and cannot recover wounds from the Healing skill or power. Repair is used instead. Each Repair roll requires tools and spare parts (-2 modifier without tools, another -2 without spare parts), and 1d6 hours work.
    It might be worthwhile for Constructs to consider the Immunity power to reflect additional “incompatible” forms of attack against them, such as electric or magnetic shielding, psychic attacks when they have no true brain, so on.
    Modifiers:
    -Automaton (-2): You are bereft of human emotion. This incurs a -4 to social rolls, and must be roleplayed. The only true motivating factors for the character are installed instructions, self-survival and directives from a creator or authorized user.

COPYCAT (1/level)
    Trappings: Natural, born winner, fast learner, prodigy, aura manipulation, magic.
    This power allows the character to mimic the effect of any one other superpower she sees with a point value up to her level in the power. The power copied must be identical in all ways, including all modifiers, trappings and limitations. Copycat cannot duplicate effects created by devices, so an armored supervillain probably has little for the copycat to mimic.
    Copying a power is an action. Copied powers last for 12 hours or until a new one is copied.
    Modifiers:
    -Devices (+3): The power can copy device effects as well, through some trapping effect.
    -Extra Duration (+3): The power is retained permanently or until a new one is copied.
    -Savant (+3): This powerful copycat can choose to alter the point cost of a target power by dropping any or all modifiers taken. (Modifiers may only be dropped, not added).
    -Touch (-3): The character must touch the original possessor of the target to copycat his power (a successful touch attack).
    -Versatility (+3): The villain may copy multiple powers as long as the total cost is not greater than her level in this power.

DAMAGE FIELD (3)
    Trappings: Fiery aura, radiation, cold spikes.
    This power creates a dangerous aura of some kind around the character. The damage field must be activated, though this is a free action. Once on, it may remain that way until the villain decides to shut it down. At the end of the character’s movement for a round, everything adjacent to the character - animate or inanimate - suffers 2d6 damage. This counts as a Heavy Weapon. (The power does not cause damage to those the villain passes by during his movement.)
    Modifiers:
    -Elemental Trick (+2): The villain may add an option from the Elemental Trick list.
    -Larger Field (+3): Everyone within a 24 foot radius, centered on the villain, suffers the damage.
    -Selective (+3): The villain can control who is or is not affected by his power.

DARKVISION (2)
    Trappings: Bionic implants, glowing eyes, animal heritage, radar, gadgetry, dwarven.
    The villain can see in the dark and ignores all darkness penalties.
    Modifiers:
    -Requires Activation (-1)

DECAY (3)
    Trappings: Rust, corrosion, rot, deathtouch, magic curse.
    This truly terrible power destroys matter. Each full round spent in contact with a substance destroys 10 pounds of matter. Living beings touched by decay must make a Vigor roll or suffer a wound. Touching the victim requires a touch attack.
    Modifiers:
    -Midas Touch (-2): The villain can’t turn off this power. Everything he touches except himself with his bare hands begins to decay.
    -Rapid Decay (+2): Each time this modifier is chosen, the amount of matter destroyed in a round doubles. It also increases the Wounds suffered from a failed Vigor roll by 1 for each modifier.
    -Strong (+2): Vigor rolls are made at -2.

DEFLECTION (1/Level)
    Trappings: Swirling winds, obscurement, distortion fields, energy, invulnerable shield.
    This handy power deflects incoming ranged attacks. If you want actual armor from such attacks, see armor or force control. To block melee attacks, see parry. Every Power Point spent subtracts one from Shooting, Throwing or other ranged attack rolls made against the villain.
    Modifiers:
    -Limited (Half Total):
    The villain can only deflect one type of ranged attack (fire, cold, kinetic, etc)

DUPLICATION (5)
    Trappings: Dimensional twin, homunculus, illusions, future selves.
    Characters and creatures possessing this ability can create exact copies of themselves, minus the duplication power. The copies created are Extras even if the “parent” is a player, and are completely under the creator’s control.
    The duplicates must stay within 5’ of the creator. A dupe disappears if it moves beyond this range – voluntarily or otherwise!
    Duplicates are always slightly “off”. Perhaps they don’t sweat, don’t cast shadows, et cetera. Those who make a Notice roll at -2 can determine whether a particular dupe is the real character or not. Note that foes don’t instantly spot the original – they simply can tell whether or not a particular dupe is real or not.
    The duplicates may be “dispelled” at the caster’s whim, and automatically vanish if the original body is incapacitated.
    Modifiers:
    -Extra Dupliciates (+3/Dupe): Each time this is taken, the character gains another duplicate. Every two duplicates created inflicts a -1 concentration penalty to the characters Trait tests.
    -Free Roaming (+3): Duplicates can move out of the creator’s area, at infinite distance. Every 10 miles away inflicts a -1 concentration penalty to the characters Trait tests.
    -Free Thinking (Half cost): The duplicate is not governed by the creator, and is an independent being. It may even resent the idea of being ‘destroyed’. While they are usually of a similar mind, being a copy of the original, differences can arise. The character is controlled by the Storyteller. Reduces the power to half the total cost.

EARTHQUAKE (1)
    Trappings: Tremors, sonic vibrations, hi-tech “thumpers”.
    Earthquake allows a character to create a small rend in the earth that can stun and entrap foes. The crack is a shallow (two feet deep or so) crevice which races 12’ from the villain in a straight line. Every target in the line of attack must make an Agility roll or be Shaken. Those who are Shaken are stuck in the crack and cannot move until they become un-Shaken.
    Modifiers:
    -Earthquake (+3): The villain can also cause a circle of earth to tremble and shake. The size of the tremor is equal to a 36’ radius, positioned with its center up to 24’ distant from the creator. All those within except the creator must make an Agility roll or be Shaken. Normal buildings within the area of effect generally suffer significant damage. Hardened buildings suffer minor damage at best, but might be breached if the power is repeated for several minutes.
    -Trigger (+1): If this power is used at the heart of a fault-line, and the villain has this modifier, the results can be catastrophic. Roll a d6 when this is attempted (no more than once per game week); on a 6, a real earthquake is triggered. The size of the earthquake and its extent depends on the faultline, but is generally a d4+3 in intensity on the Richter scale, and affects a d20 x10 mile radius from the epicenter.

ELASTICITY – see Altered Form.

ENERGY CONTROL (2)
    Trappings: Body of energy, devices, magic.
    Energy control allows a villain to manipulate raw force or energy. The controller must choose a particular type of energy when taking this power, such as fire, kinetic energy, cold, darkness, electricity, light, psionics, radiation or sound.
    Energy control allows the user to manipulate enough energy to fill a 24’ radius. Within the area, fires may be nullified, air evacuated (or filled), electricity drawn or drained, etc.
    Small effects – lighting a match with fire making, a cool breeze with air, etc – Require an action but no roll. Additional effects are described below. All powers have a range of 12’
    Nullify: With a Smarts roll, the control can completely contain or otherwise negate the appropriate energy in a 24 foot radius so that it causes no harm to those inside. Direct attacks of the same type that enter the zone do half damage.
    Damage: Energy control can be used to injure targets by striking them with force, surrounding them with dangerous energy, dehydrating their bodies, and so on. The attack is the size of a 24 foot radius. Everyone within suffers damage equal to 2d6. This counts as a Heavy Weapon. (If you want a more powerful attack, take Ranged Attack separately.)
    Modifiers:
    -Elemental Trick (+2): You may add one option from the list.
    -Larger (+3): Upgrades the size of the ability, for both good and ill, to a 36 foot radius.
    -Selective (+2): All area-effect abilities may select out or select in the caster’s choice. For instance, you can drain the air in an area except for one person, or set everything on fire except one person, so on.

ENSNARE (3)
    Trappings: Glue bombs, vines, electrical net, handcuffs, spider webs, sorcerous bindings.
    This power allows the character to restrain his target with some sort of binding material, whether via energy, ropes, vines, webbing, or some other binding matter.
    Ensnaring a victim is a Fighting roll against an adjacent foe. If the attack is successful, the victim is bound and suffers a -2 penalty to Pace and skills linked to Agility and Strength until freed. With a raise, the binding fully restrains the target, who cannot make any physical action except to try and break free.
    In either case, the target may make a Strength or Agility roll at -2 to break free. A raise allows the victim to break free and act in the same round.
    Modifiers:
    -Area Effect (+2): The snare is the size of a 36’ radius and affects every target within.
    -Ranged Attack (+2): Targets up to 32’ distant may be bound with a Shooting roll.
    -Stronger (+3): The binding material is very tough. Those caught within it must make their Strength or Agility rolls at -4 to escape. This ability may be taken up to three times, increasing the reduction by -2 each time.

EXPLODE (2)
    Trappings: Bombs, radioactive form, gathering energy.
    Your villain has the unusual ability of being able to explode! His own body is either unaffected or reforms immediately afterwards. The villain must first “prime” himself by taking no other action and standing still for one full round. On his next action, he (his energy, etc) explodes for 3d6 damage in a 24 foot radius. The villain is instantly Shaken immediately after. This is a Heavy Weapon.
    Modifiers:
    -Elemental Trick (+2): Pick from the list.
    -Larger (+3): Increases to a 36 foot radius.
    -Big Boom (+3/6): Increases the damage by an additional 3d6 and an AP of 2 for each increase in this ability. May be taken up to twice, allowing for as much as an additional 6d6 damage with an AP of 4.

EXTRA ACTIONS (3/level)
    Trappings: Super-speed, adrenaline surge, temporal control, super-analytical mind.
    This power allows you to take one additional action per round with no multi-action penalty. A villain with this power could take two actions at no penalty, for example, or three actions at only -2 each.
    The power may be taken multiple times, each time gaining an additional action. A villain may not perform the same action more than once in a round as usual.
    Modifiers:
    -Repeat Action (x2): This modifier allows the villain to perform the same action multiple times per action, although it still cannot force a firearm past it’s Rate of Fire.

EXTRA ACTIONS (4/level)
    Trappings: Tentacles, tail, robotic arm, extra-dimensional manifestations.
    Your villain has an additional, prehensile limb of some sort. He can take an additional physical action with it every round, and does not suffer from multi-action or off-hand penalties while using it. He may also assign extra limbs to take a sustained action, such as grappling someone. You may purchase powers that only affect the limb at the same cost as devices.
    You may purchase this power multiple times for multiple limbs.
    Modifiers:
    -Reach (1/1): The villain’s limbs have Reach, at the cost of 1 per Reach extension.

FEAR (3)
    Trappings: Cold stare, horrible visage, daro cowl.
    Some characters are so menacing they cause Guts checks in all who see them. The range is 12’ in good lighting, where targets can get a clear look at the villain’s appearance, sense his cold vibe, etc.
    The power must be activated on the villain’s turn, but is a free action. Even those who are permanently terrifying must yell, scream, glare or otherwise “activate” the power. No foe may be affected more than once per scene with this power.
    Modifiers:
    -Scary (-2): This effect is permanent, subtracting -2 from Charisma attempts.
    -Terror (+2): The Guts check is made at -2.

FEARLESS (2)
    Trappings: Unwavering gaze, iron will, soulless machine.
    Fearless characters never suffer from Fear effects, and cannot be intimidated.

FLIGHT (2-15)
    Trappings: Wings, jetpacks, alien abilities.
    Your villain can fly. The more points put into the power, the faster he can move. If it becomes important, his climb is equal to half his flying Pace.
    The number listed under Penalty is the modifier foes suffer when trying to attack the flier when he’s moving at this speed. Surprise attacks when at rest have no such penalties.
    Points, Speed, Attack Penalty
    2, Pace, 0
    4, 2xPace, 0
    6, 4xPace, -1
    8, Pace of 48 (120 mph), -3
    10, Super-Speed (240 mph), -5
    15, Sonic Speed (speed of sound), -8
    Modifiers:
    -Vulnerable (-1/2): Can not reduce the cost of Flight to 0. Your character requires some conveyance that can be stolen or damaged. For something that can not be taken, such as a pair of natural wings, the reduction is worth 1 points. If the item can actually be physically removed as well as damaged, such as armor, a jetpack, and so on, it is worth 2 points. Regardless, if proper steps are taken, you are effectively stripped of your power.

FORCE CONTROL (2/Level)
    Trappings: Colored shaped energy, force fields, tangible illusions.
    This power allows a character to create and control a force of pure energy that can lift objects, form shapes, bind enemies, or act as a protective barrier. The Strength of the field is d8 initially, and each additional level in the power adds a further die step (level 4 is d12+1). This its damage if used to attack, how much it can lift, and so on, just as if it were a character. Those who are hit by it suffer the force damage (its Strength die plus a Wild Die). The character can reach 12’ with his force.
    The force can form rough shapes – giant hammers, fly swatters, scoops, and so on. Fine manipulation (creating a key or a Faberge egg) isn’t possible with this power.
    Modifiers:
    -Bind (+1): The villain can use his power to restrain foes. This requires an opposed Strength roll between the target and the force. If the victim fails, he is bound and may attempt to break free on his action with a Strength or Agility roll (his choice) opposed by the field’s Strength. Once bound, a foe is automatically hit each round if the attacker desires. Roll Strength damage for the force normally.
    -Flight (+4): The force can be used to “carry” the villain (and associates depending on Strength), basically giving him the flight power at half the level he has in this power. (Two levels in force is one in flight, 10 levels is level 5 flight, etcetera.)
    -Force Field (+4): This allows the villain to create a bubble of energy that protects whatever is inside. The field covers any one person in the villain’s range. The sphere adds +1 to the Toughness of those protected for every level the villain has in Force Control. This is not armor and is not reduced by Armor Piercing.
    The villain may create portals in the field at will to let allies or attacks in or out. Foes can push their way into or out of the force field by making opposed Strength rolls with the field.
    -Heavy Weapon (+1): The force counts as a Heavy Weapon.
    -Maneuverable (+3): Villains with this modifier may rapidly move their projection to strike many foes at once. Pick a starting point anywhere within the villain’s range and move it in any path up to 10 feet. Everyone touched in the path must make an opposed Strength roll versus the force or be knocked prone. Those rolling a 1 on their Strength die are Shaken as well.
    -Larger: (+2): The villain may use Force Control, or any of its effects, with a 24 foot radius if they wish to.

GIFTED (1)
    Trappings: Well-read, photographic reflexes.
    The character ignores the -2 penalty when making unskilled rolls.

GROWTH (2/Level)

Trappings: Growth pills, words of power, mutated metabolism, Enzyte.
    Growth allows a villain to become larger, increasing his Size and Strength. It takes one entire action to grow or return to the character’s normal size. The character may increase his size by less than allowed if he wants.
    Each time growth is purchased, it adds +1 to Size, which is added directly to Toughness, and one step to the villain’s Strength.
    Between Size +4 to +7, the character is considered Large. Past +8 and +10, the character is considered (at least) Huge.
    -Monster (-1): The villain can’t turn this power off, he is always this size. This gives him a -2 to Charisma, and makes it difficult to find gear the proper size.

HEALING (2)
    Trappings: Mystical glow, advanced technology.
    Your villain can heal herself and others with a touch. To do so, she must spend an entire action in contact with the patient and make a Spirit roll minus the victim’s wounds. Failure simply indicates a lost action. Success heals one wound instantly, but costs the healer a Fatigue level that fades 24 hours later.
    A raise does not heal an additional wound, but does prevent the Fatigue penalty.
    Victims with multiple wounds require multiple attempts to heal completely.
    Extras can also be returned to action using the same process outlined above. The GM must check to see if an Extra has expired or not before the healer makes her roll. It generally requires a Smarts roll on the healer’s part to recognize whether or not an Extra is beyond saving.
    Modifiers:
    -Refresh (+2): This power allows a villain to give her comrades a temporary respite. The healer makes a Spirit roll as a flood of healing energies floods out from her in a 24 foot radius. Anyone within, friend or foe, recovers automatically from Shaken.
    -Rejuvenation (+3): The villain can heal nonpermanent crippling injuries. This requires a Healing roll at -2 (and minus any wound penalties) and may only be attempted one time per injury. This is a separate roll from those used to treat any actual wound levels.
    -Restoration (+5): The villain can heal permanent crippling injuries. This requires a Healing roll at -4 (and minus any wound penalties) and may only be attempted one time per injury by this character (a different healer could try again though).
    -Revive (+2): The character can remove one Fatigue level from himself or others with a touch and a Spirit roll. Only one level per round may be so relieved. This feat may only be performed once per day on a particular person. Any more than that requires actual food/rest/water/etc.
    -Resurrection (+10): The ultimate healing ability is the power to raise a villain from the dead. In Necessary Evil, the body must have been dead no longer than 12 hours and must be reasonably intact (approximately 75%). Resurrected victims return to life with three wounds that fade at the rate of one per week, regardless of any other treatment, magic, miracles or even the Revive modifier to this power.

HEIGHTENED SENSES (1)
    Trappings: Animal senses, mutation, sense-compensation.
    The character’s senses are heightened for some reason. He adds +2 to Notice rolls.
    Some characters with heightened senses should have awareness or darkvision as well. Check there for more information.
    Modifiers:
    -Eagle Eyes (+1):
    The character can see details twice as far as most members of their species.
    -Tracking (+1): Your villain has a keen sense of smell, giving him a +2 to Tracking rolls.

ILLUSION (2/level)

Trappings: Sorcery, mind tricks, holograms.
    Illusion allows your villain to create imaginary images and sounds. The illusions cannot actually affect the real world, but can pretend to. An imaginary monster might “pick up” a real car, for example, but in truth, the car is just “blotted out” while a false one is hurled by the beast. The illusion must cover the “removed” object, and cannot mimic true invisibility.
    The maximum size of the illusion is shown below.
    Level, Dimensions
    1, 2’ cubed
    2, 4’ cubed
    3, 8’ cubed
    4, 16’ cubed,
    5, 32’ cubed,
    Etc.
    Modifiers:
    -Film Quality (+1): Film and microphones detect and record the illusions as well.
    -Psychosomatic Trauma (+2):
    Each round the illusion may attack one target per level of this power. The illusion automatically “hits” and each target affected must make a Smarts roll or be Shaken. Those who roll a 1 on their Smarts die suffer a wound. A second Shaken result from an illusion causes a wound as well. These wounds disappear if the target is cured of their Shaken effects.
    -Targeted (-1): The illusion affects the mind rather than creating tricks of light. Any character who wishes to “disbelieve” a particular illusion can make a Smarts roll at -2. If successful, she can detect what is real and what is fake.

IMMUNITY (4)

Trappings: Tough skin, magic, similar powers.
    Your villain has limited immunity against a particular matter or energy based attack, such as air/wind, cold/ice, fire/heat, radiation, darkness, light, steel, wood and so on. Villains made of a particular substance (such as sand or insects) typically purchase this power for the same type of matter or energy as well.
    You may choose this power multiple times to select different immunities.
    Background effects of the particular energy type (walking through fire, in a nuclear reactor, etc.) are completely negated. Damage from direct attacks from the selected energy form is halved (roll normally, then halve total).
    Modifiers:

INFECTION (variable)
    Trappings: Sickening touch, swarm of flies, aura of corruption, syringes filled with poison.
    The character’s touch infects her foes with a disease or other unhealthy condition. This requires a touch attack. A target struck by the attack must make a Vigor roll. If failed, the victim suffers depending on the condition caused.
    The character should define the specific disease caused by his infection (a nasty cold, ebola, and so on), but the effects are summed up below. The character should define the specific disease caused by his infection (a nasty cold, ebola, so on), but the effects are summed up below. These may be combined as well, so that an infection causes an instant Shaken result and eventual death.
    Cost, Condition
    2, Shaken
    4, Fatigued
    6, Incapacitation (3d6 hours)
    8, Incapacitation (instant)
    10. Death (1d6 hours)
    12, Death (instant)
    Modifiers:
    -Always On (-2): The character cannot “turn off” her ability to transmit disease. She must wear clothes, gloves, scarves, and the like at all times or risk infection her friends. She cannot take lovers, bear children, or otherwise have much of a social life.
    -Strong (x2): Vigor rolls are made at -2.

INTANGIBILITY (5)
    Trappings: Becoming a mist, a ghost, a form of energy, out of phase with reality, a swarm of insects.
    Intangibility makes the character unable to affect or be affected by physical energy attacks or objects. The character can walk through walls or other barriers but cannot affect the physical world while intangible.
    Turning intangibility on or off requires a Spirit roll and is an action.
    While intangible, any items the character carries become intangible as well, and do not function. Other beings carried by the villain do not become intangible and are dropped.
    Should the villain become corporeal “inside” someone or something, both she and her victim suffer damage, and then are knocked prone in opposite directions from one another. A hand cause 1 wound to each, an arm causes 2 wounds, both arms causes 3 wounds, and the whole body causes 4 wounds.
    Vulnerabilities – some attack forms still affect intangible characters, and it depends on their trappings. If a character chose mist form as their trapping, the GM might decide that wind-based trappings affect them normally, while a ghost might be effected by spiritual attacks. Magical and psychic attacks should almost always affect incorporeal creatures.
    Modifiers:
    -Phaser (+2): The villain can phase in and out of the material world rapidly. A Spirit roll is still required, but counts as a free action.

INTERFACE (2)
    Trappings: Robots, cyborgs, laptops, “jacking in”.
    Your villain can interface with electronic gadgets, giving him much greater access to its inner workings than others. He gains +6 to rolls involving the use of computers or other electronics.
    Modifiers:
    -Code Breaker (+1): Through the use of some device integration or technomagic or otherwise, your character can open electronic locks and other protection devices with a simple Knowledge (Electronics) roll. This takes a total of four rounds, or two if the villain scored a raise on the skill roll.

INVENT (2/Level)

Trappings: Super genius, advanced education.
    This impressive ability allows an inventor to create one-off devices that duplicate any other power in this list. A character must have a minimum Smarts of d10, a Knowledge (Engineering) of d10, and a Repair skill of d10 to take this power.
    The inventor can create a device that mimics any power in this listing. He does not get the discount for it being a device, however – that’s already figured into the price of the power. The cost of the power duplicated can never be greater than the creator’s level of Invent. An inventor who wants to create an invisibility belt, for example, must have invent at level 5, since Invisibility is a 5-point power. The inventor can also make several devices as long as he has the Power Points in invent to pay for them. (A villain with invent at level 10 could have two 4-point devices and one 2-point device.)
    The device invented requires 10 minutes times its original cost (a 5-point invisibility belt takes 50 minutes) to assemble. Ultra-tech gadgets aren’t really created in a few hours – the inventor is assumed to have many projects half-finished or modifiable laying around, and is just putting the finishing touches together.
    The devices created are permanent, but most be disassembled for “parts” to make a new device – thereby freeing up the invested Power Points to make something new.
    Devices may be given to other villains, but Trait rolls made to use the device are made at -2 as only the inventor truly understands his jury-rigged creations.
    Modifiers:
    -Rare Power Source (-3): All your inventions require an unique – and rare – power source that must be on-hand for his devices to function. Acquiring it should be either dangerous, or prohibitively difficult, or ludicrously expensive.

INVISIBILITY (5)
    Trappings: Cell alteration, stealth suit, ghost, out of sync with reality or time.
    The character can become invisible at will. Going visible or invisible requires an action. Attacks made against an invisible foe suffer a -6 penalty. Invisible beings always leave some tell tale trace for those who are looking, whether it’s a shimmer, a smell, footsteps, etc, so foes get a Notice roll at -4 to detect their presence if given some reason, or if the invisible character closes within 2 yards. Characters with Awareness have no penalty to fight you.
    Modifiers:
    -Flicker (+2): The villain can alter their visibility rapidly. This is now a free action instead of regular to go visible or invisible.
    -Subtle (+4): The villain does not leave obvious clues. They have no tells, and if already aware they’re there and trying to find them, a Notice roll at -8 is required, and to fight you, enemies are at -10 penalty. Characters with Awareness are at -6 penalty to attack you, and suffer -4 to detect your presence.

JINX (2)
    Trappings: Evil eye, curse, black cat.
    Your enemies are constantly suffering minor slips, misfires and other mishaps.
    Any foe making a direct action against your character –whether an attack, a test of wills, or other action – suffers a mishap if his skill die is a natural 1, regardless of Wild Die. When this occurs, the foes’ weapon malfunctions, he slips and falls, a supervillain’s power fails, and so on. The exact effect is up to the Game Master, but should usually cause the foe to miss his turn at the very least.
    Modifiers:
    -Area Effect (+2/4):
    This power effects everyone within a 24 foot radius centered on the villain, including allies. With the four point version he chooses who is affected within the burst.
    -Improved Jinx (x2): Foes suffer these affects on a 2 as well as a 1.

Registered
    Feb 2011

LAIR (1)
    Trappings: Underground base, hidden underwater grotto, mountaintop retreat, penthouse apartment, decked out garage, orbiting space station, floating fortress, dimensional pocket realm.
    This power grants your villain a lair. The lair is a relatively secure location up to the size of a small building he can retreat to when the going gets rough, as well as a place to store devices, trophies, vehicles and the like. The lair has access to all basic necessities, and your villain can hide out there indefinitely.
    You may buy powers for the lair at half-cost to aid in its defense. These powers are devices that are permanently part of your lair, such as a death-ray cannon (Attack, ranged), guards (Minions), etc.
    You may also choose to pool your villains’ lairs together with other characters to create a super-lair, thus sharing the cost of purchasing defenses and capabilities.
    Modifiers:
    -Escape Pod (+1): The lair has a built-in hidden escape pod that can be used for a quick escape should the lair be overrun. This can be a chute, teleportation pad, short-range rocket, etc. The escape pod is relatively small, and can only accommodate you and a couple other people or objects you deem worthy of escape. It will take you a mile or so away from your lair, allowing you a good headstart.
    -Research Lab (+1): Your lair has a workshop, library, med-lab or other area that adds +2 to a relevant skill roll (depending on type of lab). The research lab can be purchased multiple times to get multiple types of labs.
    -Secure Access (+1): Only those with the proper key – chip implant, keycard, mystic amulet, DNA profile, etc – may gain access to the lair. Anyone else will set off an alarm that will alert everyone that does have proper access via klaxon horns, silent signal, radio broadcast, or whatever else has been pre-determined.
    -Well-hidden (+1): Your lair is fairly well hidden. Perhaps it is underwater, underground or obfuscated from sight in some way. All attempts to track you down suffer a -4 to relevant rolls when you are in your lair.

LEAPING (1-5)
    Trappings: Massive strength, springs, thick legs.
    Your villain may actually be able to leap small buildings in a single bound. The number of points you put into this power determines how far your villain can jump, vertically and/or horizontally. Your villain automatically ignores falling damage for heights up to his vertical distance. This might occasionally be negated if they are bound or unconscious and cannot land on their feet.
    Death From Above: If combined with a melee attack, the villain may add his level in Leaping to any damage caused at the end of his jump. The victim can see it coming easily, however, and so you must subtract from the attack roll every +1 added to it.
    Level, Vertical Distance, Horizontal Distance
    1, 4’, 8’
    2, 8’, 16’
    3, 16’, 32’
    4, 32’, 64’
    5, 64’, 108’.
    Modifiers:
    -Bounce (+1): The character has learned to bounce off of surfaces to climb higher than he might otherwise, or fall further than he might survive. He may scale any height as long as he has an opposing wall within half his horizontal distance to bounce off of.

MALFUNCTION (3)
    Trappings: Electromagnetic pulse, hexes, bad luck, machine-speak.
    The villain can cause technological devices to simply fail. To cause a malfunction, the villain simply picks a target within 12’ and makes a Spirit roll, minus the modifiers below. If successful, the item misfunctions in some way. Devices simple and moderate complexity just stop working. Complex devices lose a random subsystem, determined by the GM.
    Particular sub-systems of complex devices can be selected as well, at a further -2 penalty to the device. Causing a tank’s gun to malfunction, for example, is a total modifier of -6 (-4 for Complex device, -2 for subsystem).
    Penalty, Device
    0, Simple (can opener, handgun, bow)
    -2, Moderate (laser rifle, car transmission, microwave oven)
    -4, Complex (tank, shielded military hardware, V’sori technology)

MATTER CONTROL (4/Level)
    Trappings: Concentration, magic.
    The villain can shape and control a particular type of material. He may cover an area the size of a 24 foot radius for each level of this power. Normally, this is a thickness of a few inches, but stacked together it can increase the effect. The amount of material affected is shown below.
    Material, Weight Per Level
    Earth/stone/sand, 10,000 lbs
    Ice/water, 10,000 lbs.
    Glass, 20,000 lbs.
    Plants, 50,000 lbs.
    Metal, 10,000 lbs.
    Synthetics, 20,000 lbs.
    Cloth, 10,000 lbs.
    The material must be visible and within 24’ to be manipulated. Any sort of manipulation, including maintaining hold, requires an action. The toughness of the material per section is 10.
    Distraction: Matter can be manipulated to distract foes by showering them with dirt, glass or other material. This is an opposed roll of your Spirit versus the victim’s Agility. On success, anyone attacking the target gains a +2 until the next action. With a raise, the target is also Shaken. Multiple foes may be targeted at a -1 penalty for each additional person.
    Note that matter control does not allow your villain to make attacks with the material he controls. Take the attack, ranged power for that.
    Modifiers:
    -Binding (+1): The villain has enough speed and control over the material to use it to bind his foes.
    This requires an opposed Spirit roll versus the target’s Agility. If the victim fails, he is bound and may attempt to break free on his actions by a Strength or Agility roll opposed by the villain’s Spirit. Multiple foes may be “attacked” each round at a standard multi-action penalty. Maintaining the bind requires concentration, and subtracts 1 from all other rolls for each victim held.
    Once bound, a foe is automatically hit each round if the attacker wants to crush him. Roll damage using your Spirit die.
    -Gliding (+4): The character can move along the matter he shapes, whether he’s sliding on ice or being carried along by a piece of earth or metal. He effectively has flight equal to his level of matter control.

MIND CONTROL (3)
    Trappings: Concentric rings of energy, mesmerism, voodoo dolls.
    The power to control minds is perhaps the ultimate ability. With it, the villain can contact and control another mind within 12’ by making an opposed Smarts roll with the target. This counts as an action.
    Success means that the target is completely under the villain’s control. If the villain also has telepathy, he has a mental link of infinite distance with his victim. The subject may now venture outside the controller’s range of 12’, and can mentally relay any information the controller requires.
    The subjects are complete slaves, but being forced to attack loved ones or act completely against their nature allows them to make another contested Smarts roll to break the link.
    Any time the controller is Shaken, sleeps, is knocked unconscious or otherwise cannot maintain basic concentration, all minds under his control are instantly released.
    Modifier:
    -Mind Wipe (+3): The controller can wipe or manipulate the victim’s memories so that he does not remember what he’s done while under mind control.
    -More Minds (+2): The mentalist can control another target each time this Modifier is bought.

MIND READING (3)
    Trappings: Mystical glow, concentration.
    Mind reading allows a character to read another’s thoughts. This is an opposed Smarts roll with a range of 12’. A success detects surface thoughts but the target is aware that someone is in his head. A raise reveals deeper notions and does not betray the telepath’s presence.
    Entering another person’s mind is always taxing, it requires an action, and automatically Fatigues the villain.
    Drunk or drugged targets suffer a -2 penalty to their Smarts rolls. Unconscious targets suffer a -6 penalty.
    Modifier:
    -Mind Rider (+3): The telepath can see, hear, taste, touch and feel through his target’s senses. Doing so lasts as long as desired, but requires absolute concentration. Any other action taken while mind riding is considered a multi-action.

MINIONS (1/Level)
    Trappings: Uniformed thugs, a gang.
    What villain travels around without a band of faithful minions? Each time this power is taken, your character gains a faithful and reasonably loyal minion with the following statistics. More competent henchmen must be hired through normal roleplaying.
    Minion
    Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d8
    Skills: Fighting d8, Notice d6, Shooting d6, Throwing d6.
    Pace: 6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 6
    Gear: That’s up to you and your wallet, mastermind.
    Modifiers:
    -Summonable (+2): You can summon your minion to you via warpgate, magical portal, rapid transport, etc. They will arrive within 1d4 rounds of summoning. This modifier must be purchased for each summonable minion.

NEGATION (2/level)

Trappings: Devices, magic, parasitic touch.
    This handy power allows your villain to negate others’ superpowers and abilities. To do so, the villain must make a successful touch attack. He then makes an opposed Spirit roll with his target. If successful, he may reduce any of the target’s powers by a number of Power Points equal to his level in negation. The reduction in Power Points affects positive Modifiers first then the base power. In the case of partial reductions of a power, characters may only use power effects they can pay for fully. A character with this power may instead negate one step of an attribute or two steps of a skill per power level to a minimum of d4.
    The Power Points return after 2d6 rounds. (To steal abilities, see copycat power.)
    Modifiers:
    -More Duration (+2): The Power Points return after 1d6 hours.
    -Range (+3): The negation user can use his power without touching his foe at a distance of up to 12’.
    -Restricted to Copycat (-2): The villain may only effect powers he also mimics with copycat.

PARALYSIS (2)
    Trappings: Poison touch, fetid breath, tendrils.
    A successful touch attack causes the victim to make a Vigor roll or be paralyzed for 3 rounds. On the victim’s fourth action after being paralyzed he improves his condition to Shaken and may recover normally from that point on.
    Modifiers:
    -Extra Duration (+1): The paralysis lasts 10 minutes.
    -Extra Power (+1): The victim’s Vigor rolls are made at -2.
    -Extra Range (+4): The power is tied to a ranged attack of some sort, such as special bullets, a superpower, and so on. You must have attack (ranged) to use this modifier.

PARRY (2/4/6)

Trappings: Claws, fast reactions, mystic shields, “sixth sense”.
    Your villain’s Parry increases by +3 per level. Note that you’re better off increasing Fighting via the super skill power until you hit d12, when it becomes more effective to increase Parry instead.
    Modifiers:
    -Catch and Throw (+2):
    Your villain can catch ranged weapons and hurl them back instantly. Catching a thrown projectile such as rock or spear requires an Agility roll. Arrows and other muscle-powered projectiles require an Agility roll at -2, and catching a single bullet is an Agility roll at -4. Throwing it back is a normal Throwing roll with a range of 3/6/12. Thrown weapons such as spears cause their normal damage. Bullets, arrows, and the like cause Strength damage. This throwing roll is a free action.

PLANT CONTROL
    – see Matter Control

REGENERATION (5)
    Trappings: Powerful undead, mutant healing factor, magic.
    Whether through flesh and blood that self-knits or advanced mending techniques, your villain’s wounds heal themselves in an amazingly short amount of time.
    Make a Vigor roll every hour. If the roll is successful, your villain heals one wound.
    Modifiers:
    -Fast Regeneration (+5): Your villain rolls to recover wounds every minute.
    -True Regeneration (+10): Your villain rolls to recover wounds every round. This can be upgraded from Fast Regeneration for 5 points.
    -Immortal (+5): Your villain, when killed, returns fully to life within 1d6 rounds.
    -Frailty (-2): There is an easily found substance that can not be healed through if it’s the source of damage or death.

SHRINK (3)
    Trappings: Shrinking pills, magic words, mutated metabolism.
    The character can alter his form to become much smaller, down to 1” in height. This inflicts attack penalties as usual (-4 for medium-sized foes to target your villain). Foes are also much less likely to Notice the character as well (-4 to Notice roll versus his Stealth).
    Given an average person of 6’ in height, the character loses one step of Strength (min d4-2) and Toughness (min 1) for every quarter of his original size he shrinks.
    Size, Strength, Toughness
    6’, Strength 0, Toughness 0
    3’, Strength -2 Steps, Toughness -2
    1’, Strength -4 Steps, Toughness -4
    6”, Strength -6 Steps, Toughness -6
    1”, Strength d4-2, Toughness 1
    Microscopic, Strength 0, Toughness 0
    Modifiers:
    -Density (+4): The character’s Strength and Toughness are not reduced.
    -Microscopic (+4): The character can become the size of a germ. In this form he cannot generally affect or be affected by the normal world. Even poison gas doesn’t affect him at this size, though diseases might manifest as gigantic monsters. On the plus side, he can enter most any place completely unseen (even “airtight” facilities), travel through the body a la Fantastic Journey, and so on.

SPEAK LANGUAGE (2)
    Trappings: Devices, surface mind reading, latent skills.
    Your villain can speak any language.
    Modifiers:
    -Written Word (+1): The character can read and write any language as well.

SPEED (Variable)
    Trappings: A blur of motion, powerful legs.
    Your villain can run at incredible speeds depending on the number of points you put into it, as shown below.
    The number listed under penalty is the modifier foes suffer when trying to attack the speedster, assuming he’s actually in motion. Surprise attacks against the character when he’s at rest suffer no such penalties. In combat, assume the speedster is always in motion unless he’s bound, entangled, or the player specifically says he’s stopped moving.
    Points, Speed, Penalty
    1, 2xPace, -0
    3, 4xPace, -1
    5, Pace of 48 (120 mph), -2
    8, Super Speed (240 mph), -4
    10, Sonic Speed, -8
    Modifiers:
    -Pummel (+2): Your villain can pummel a foe with a multitude of quick strikes. This is a Fighting attack at -2 that consumes the villain’s entire action, and must use either fists or small weapons no larger than knives. If the pummel is successful (he ‘hits’), the villain has hit with enough of his blows to seriously rattle his foe and hit his weak spots. Add the penalty others need to hit villain to his damage roll (add +8 to damage with Sonic Speed, for example, +4 for Super-Speed, etc)
    -Whirlwind (+5): By running in a tight circle (the size of a 36 foot radius or smaller), every creature within must make a Strength roll or be sucked into a miniature whirlwind and thrown into the air. People are thrown 1d10 feet away from their current position. Creatures or objects weighing over 300 pounds are not tossed, but suffer a -2 penalty until the whirlwind stops or they move out of it, which requires a Strength roll at -2.
    -Vibrate (+5): The villain can vibrate his molecules so fast that he can actually pass through solid objects. This is particularly difficult, however, so the character can only move up to six game world inches per round (regardless of his Pace), and he automatically gains a level of Fatigue each round it’s maintained. The villain may never stop inside an object. The character must have Sonic Speed before he may take this power.

STORM (3)
    Trappings: Thunder and lightning.
    The very atmosphere trembles at your villain’s whims. With this power he can both summon and dispel storms. 1d6 rounds after activating storm, a small tempest appears overhead, or an existing storm is dispelled.
    The size of the storm affected is 10 miles in diameter. The power only words outdoors. In areas where storms do not typically exist (the desert), summoning a storm requires a Spirit roll at -4, and may only be attempted once per week.
    When a storm is created, the accompanying rain reduces visibility to 24’, extinguishes most normal fires (but not super-powered fires) within 3d10 rounds, and only volatile materials still have a random chance of catching fire from flame-based attacks.
    Storm conditions inflict a -1 penalty to most actions due to slipping, difficulty hearing, and so on. The Game Master must decide if any actions are unaffected (tests of wills, soak rolls, and other “passive” rolls are generally unaffected).
    Modifiers:
    -Downpour (+1): The rain is very heavy and comes down in thick sheets. Visibility is reduced to 12’ and the ground becomes very slick. Deep puddles form quickly, and raw earth turns to slippery mud. Anyone running in the mud must make an Agility roll or fall prone and become Shaken.
    -Gale Force (+1): The villain can focus the storm into a small but powerful blast once per round by making a Spirit roll. She then places a 36 foot radius anywhere within 24’. All those within must make a Strength roll or be knocked prone and Shaken.
    -Lightning Strike (+3): The villain can call down a bolt of lightning from a storm to strike a single target. This requires a Spirit roll, which acts as the character’s attack skill. Powers, Edges, and other abilities that generally subtract from ranged attack rolls subtract from the Spirit roll as well. Damage from a lightning strike is 3d10 and it is considered Heavy Weapon. It has no range modifier.

STUN (2)
    Trappings: Electrical attack, mild toxin, mind lash, flash of bright light, deafening siren.
    The power allows the villain to place a 24 foot radius attack up to 12’ distant. Characters within must make a Vigor roll or be Shaken.
    Modifiers:
    -Larger (+2): The area of effect is a 36 foot radius.
    -More Range (+2): The range is 24’.
    -Smarts (+1): The targets must make Smarts rolls instead of Vigor rolls.
    -Stronger (+2): Foe’s Vigor rolls are made at -2.

SUPER ATTRIBUTE (1/Step)
    Trappings: Uncanny reflexes, massive brain, power armor, religious background, being huge.
    This power increases your villain’s attributes and usually reflects some sort of supernatural enhancement. Each Power Point spent increases an attribute one step. A d12 becomes a d12+1 and so on. Derived statistics, like Toughness, round down, so a d12+1 Vigor only produces a Toughness of 6. Must choose a specific attribute each tiem you take this ability, i.e. Super Strength, Super Smarts, et cetera.
    Modifiers:

SUPER EDGE (2)
    Trappings: Extraordinary training or background, extension of a superpower(s).
    Spending two Power Points grants the villain any one Combat Edge allowed in the setting – regardless of any requirements! (except those which require earlier Edges – a character must still take Frenzy prior to Improved Frenzy).
    Note that Power Points cannot grand other types of Edges (i.e. Background, Social)

SUPER SKILL (1 per 2 Skill Points)
    Trappings: Software programs, intensive training.
    Super skill grants you 2 points to increase your villain’s skills with each rank. Note that new skills cost 2 points to buy at d4, and after that are 1-per-1. They usually reflect extreme training or supernatural enhancement of some sort. Each Super Skill point spent increases a skill one step.
    Unlike the normal advancement, it doesn’t matter if the super skill is over the linked attribute or not.
    Modifiers:

SUPER SORCERY (3/Level)
    Trappings: Sorcerer supreme!, reality warping, applied quantum mechanics, “any sufficiently advanced technology”
    These powerful beings control eldritch energies that allow them to do nearly anything, at whim. The strength of a super sorcerer lies in her flexibility. She can manipulate raw magic itself instead of focusing on only a handful of spells. Magicians who have two or three powerful spells are easier to make by taking specific powers with a magic trapping.
    There are a number of lesser sorcerers on Earth. These dabblers are far beneath the level of the world’s “super sorcerers”.
    Super sorcerers must have Spellcasting at d8 or higher, a Smarts of at least d8 and Spirit of d8 or more.
    Super sorcerers can give themselves any power in this book at will as a “spell”, including any Modifiers up to their level in super sorcery. Each spell cast takes an action, requires a Spellcasting roll and the sorcerer must be able to move both hands and speak.
    If a 1 is rolled on the Spellcasting die (regardless of Wild Die), the sorcerer has made a mistake in his incantations and endures a dangerous spike in energy. He is automatically Shaken and all his current spells are negated. Once cast, a spell may be maintained as long as the caster desires – it simply takes up that many of his allowable casting points. The temptation for greater power is always present however and a super sorcerer can go over the limit, borrowing additional casting points up to his level in this power. This is very dangerous, and if his Spellcasting rolls equal to or less than the number of points borrowed, the caster must roll on the Backlash table.
    (example: Ixua Anamza the mummy has 5 levels in Super Sorcery. He currently has a 3 point and a 2 point power up. Feeling risky, he gambles and borrows his maximum to add a 5 point attack (ranged) power. He rolls a 4 on his Spellcasting die, so his spell is successful, but now he must endure a result from the Backlash table).
    Modifiers:
    -Missing Component (+4): May ignore a single component – either speech or hand movement. Can take this modifier up to twice, to make the character able to cast even when bound and gagged.
    -Ritualistic (-5): Requires 1d6 rounds to ‘channel’ any given power. This may not reduce the power to 0.

SWINGING (3)
    Trappings: Web-lines, retractable cables, vines.
    Villains with any kind of cord, rope, webbing or other manner to swing through the air can move through certain types of settings – such as the tall buildings of Star City – with ease. The villain can travel through such environments at a Pace of 12.
    The line can hold up to 500 pounds safely. Swingers who fall can make a simple Agility roll to catch themselves at the midpoint of their descent.
    Swingers may also make a single Agility roll to grab someone else who is falling with their line. The roll suffers no penalties if the villain was on Hold. If not on Hold and the villain hasn’t acted yet, he may discard his action and attempt to grab a single falling victim. This is an Agility roll at -4. Lines used in this way can usually snag a falling victim up to 24’ away.
    In either case, the swinger can land safely within their usual distance from there.
    Modifiers:
    -Strong Line (+1/1000 lbs): The line can safely hold 1000 pounds for each additional point put into this Modifier.

TELEKINESIS (2/Level)

Trappings: Mind over matter, force projection, magical animation.
    Telekinesis is the ability to move objects or creatures (including one’s self) with pure thought or will.
    The range of the power is 12’ and its Strength starts at d10, plus 1 die step per additional level (a d12+2 at level 4 and so on). This is the Strength used to throw objects (which still requires a Throwing roll), or damage targets with objects (by Fighting), just as if it were wielded by a character of the same Strength. The villain even rolls a Wild Die when rolling for this power’s Strength.
    Actively using telekinesis counts as an action, so while a villain may use the power to carry five baseball bats, striking with each of them is still five separate actions (with a -10 multi-action penalty to each!)
    Living Creatures: If the villain wants to lift a living creature, it may try to resist the power with an opposed Spirit roll with the caster. If the supervillain wins, he may pick up his target and move it up to 2d6 feet per round. Smashing the victim into something causes Strength damage automatically. Dropping him causes falling damage as usual.
    Modifiers:
    -Focus (+3): Bypass and ignore the armor of inanimate objects (not people or their armor) by taking a -4 on the Fighting roll.
    -Heavy Weapon (+1): Counts as a Heavy Weapon.
    -More Range (+2): The range of the power is 24’, but still requires line of sight.

TELEPATHY (2)
    Trappings: Communicators, psychic connection, ethereal messenger.
    The villain can communicate with anyone and everyone in sight through telepathy. Specific known individuals who are not in sight may be reached with a Smarts roll within one mile, or a Smarts roll at -4 if further away. Once established, the connection may be maintained as desired, but requires concentration. This inflicts a -2 penalty to all other actions no matter how many connections are maintained.
    Modifiers:
    -Broadcast (+1/+3): The villain may contact all minds within 1 mile. This is not selective, however, and must go to every sentient mind in range. For 3 points, the message can be broadcast across an entire world.

TELEPORT (3)
    Trappings: A cloud of smoke, “phasing out”, change into a bolt of lightning.
    Teleport allows a character to disappear and instantly reappear up to 12 feet distant. This counts as his movement for the round and is not an action. Adjacent opponents do not get a free attack against the teleporting character.
    The teleporter must be able to see his destination to teleport without a roll. If he’s teleporting to a place he’s previously seen, he may do so safely with a Smarts roll at -2. If he wishes to teleport to a previously unseen location, he must roll at -4. Failure means the teleporter has hit an object of some sort. He returns to where he came from and is Shaken. A roll of 1 on the Smarts die (regardless of the Wild Die) results in 3d6 damage.
    The teleporter can never enter a solid space even if he tries. The power constantly returns him to his starting location.
    Carrying Others: The villain can carry others with him, but this automatically causes one level of Fatigue per additional “rider”. Up to three may be carries at once, but causes instant incapacitation. One level of Fatigue is removed for every 10 minutes of rest.
    Modifiers:
    -More Range (+1 per increase): The villain’s teleport is range is doubled every time he purchases this ability. Two points in More Range increases his range to 48 feet (12x2x2), and ten points increases it to 12,288 feet.
    -Rapid Teleport (+3): The villain can teleport very rapidly, up to three times per action. The character can divide multi actions or extra attacks over the teleportations. If the teleporter uses his ability to maneuver around a single foe and makes at least two attacks (via two weapons, Frenzy edge, etc), he attacks from multiple sides just as if the foe were being ganged up on, which gives him a +1 to hit (or +2 if making 3 such attacks).
    -Taxi (+2): The teleporter gets a Vigor roll to resist fatigue caused by each additional “rider”.
    -Teleport Other (+5): Villains with this ability can teleport others to them. If the target is friendly, the villain simply makes a Spirit roll; one individual per action, additional targets may be transferred as a multi-action. Hostile foes get an opposed Spirit roll to resist being teleported. This may be performed as a multi-action as well to move more than one foe in a single action.

TOUGHNESS (3/6/9)
    Trappings: Big guys, dense skin, reinforced bones.
    Your villain’s base toughness is increased by +2/+4/+6, from mystical protection, super-strong skin, dense bones, etc. Note that this is different from armor because it cannot be negated by Armor Piercing attacks.
    Modifiers:
    -Hardy (+4): Your villain’s skin is so thick/dense/whatever that only the most serious damage can harm him. If he is Shaken, further Shaken results have no effect – they can never cause a Wound.

UNDEAD (4)
    Trappings: Vampires, zombie, harrowed.
    A rare few individuals don’t let even the cold hand of death stop them from their hateful existence. These are the undead – vampires, zombies, liches, or spiteful revenants from beyond the grave.
    The specifics of your cadarvers’ abilities depend on his exact “species”, but all undead have a few things in common. Undead get a +2 to their Toughness and do not suffer additional damage from called shots as undead do not depend as much on internal organs to maintain their semblance of life.
    Undead ignore two levels of Wound modifiers, and are immune to disease and poison.
    Undead do not benefit from the Healing skill, but do roll natural healing rolls once per day. They suffer a -2 Charisma in close contact due to their clammy skin and dark aura. (if your undead is decayed, take the Ugly hindrance.)
    Undead who are forced to roll on the Knockout Blow Table do not Bleed Out or suffer permanent injuries – they’re merely incapacitated until they heal.
    Modifiers:
    -Vampire (-2): The villain is a vampire. A wooden start to the heart (-4 called shot) that causes a single wound or more incapacitates your villain instantly, though this effect ends immediately when the stake is removed unless the vampire would be incapacitated normally. He also has an allergy to garlic (-2 to all Trait rolls if the substance is within 1 foot) and suffers an immediate wound if he crosses running water. Finally, a vampire must drink one quart of blood (of any kind) once per day or suffer a level of Fatigue that can only be removed by drinking human blood, or waiting for Healing rolls. Vampires Incapacitated by Fatigue can crawl at the rate of 1 foot per round, but suffer -6 to all actions while in this weakened state.
    The benefits of being a vampire must be bought as powers as they are dependent on the creature’s sire, which legend you believe, and so on. Most have super-strength, extra actions, altered form (mist) and mind control.

VEHICLE (Variable)

Trappings: Combat bike, weapons van, hovercar.
    From rocket bikes to assault choppers, this power allows your character to have their own super-vehicle. The cost of the power depends on what the cost of the base vehicle you want to convert into your super-vehicle.
    Cost, Vehicle Cost
    1, <$10,000
    2, <$50,000
    3, <500,000
    Powers can be purchased for the vehicles at the reduced cost as for devices. While the downside is that vehicles cannot be taken everywhere, the plus is that any defensive powers affect everyone inside of it.
    Modifiers:
    -AI (+1): Your vehicle has a rudimentary artificial intelligence that allows it to follow any simple, short, programmable instructions. It has target recognition, object avoidance and location-finding capabilities, but is not capable of anything more complex than that. Example instructions include: “drive forward and release this bomb,” “come to this location when I signal,” or “attack any unknown figure that comes within 5 yards of your front flame thrower.”
    -Secure Access (+1): Your vehicle has ultra-high security (retinal scan, voice recognition, dna testing, whatever) and can only be operated by someone with the proper access. Any unauthorized access will trigger an alarm and may activate any security devices, including any powers, built into the vehicle.

WALL-WALKER (1)
    Trappings: Adhesive powers, super-grip, extra limbs, gravity warping, being David Bowie.
    Characters possessing this power can walk on horizontal surfaces or even upside down at their normal Pace (and may run). As long as the surface can support it, wall-walking characters may carry their normal load limit with them as they go.

WHIRLWIND (2)
    Trappings: A swirling column of wind.
    The villain can create a small, moveable cyclone that can scatter and disrupt his foes.
    The whirlwind is a 12’ radius, and must remain within 24 feet of the villain controlling it or instantly disappear. The whirlwind can be moved up to 2d6 feet every round.
    Controlling the cyclone is an action and it takes one full-round (no other actions allowed) to conjure. (Two if indoors.)
    Anyone touched by the cyclone must make a Strength roll or be knocked prone. If their Strength die rolls a 1 they are also Shaken.
    Modifiers:
    -Larger Whirlwind (+2): The whirlwind increases to a 36 foot radius.
    -Twister (+2): The whirlwind has the strength of a cyclone. Characters must make Strength rolls at -2 or be sucked up and thrown 1d10 feet in a random direction, for 2d6 damage, with additional 1d6 if they hit anything on landing. Thrown victims are automatically Shaken regardless of damage.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Special Notes:

DEVICES
    Not all powers are inherent to your character. Some can reside in technological or magical objects instead. Devices are basically an universal modifier that can be applied to any power in this book. The modifier is -1 for every 5 total points spent on power costs after modifiers. Figure each type of power the device grants separately – with a minimum cost of 1. Absorption, which costs 3 points, costs only 2 points if contained in a device. Armor +6 normally costs 4 points, but costs only 3 if it’s a device.
    Note that a device that grants bonuses to several attributes via the super attribute power gets a discount only on the total since that is one “type”. Not each unique attribute raised. The same applies to super skills, super edges, etc – add all of them together, than remove 1 for every 5.
    Slow Activation: Subtract 1 additional point from the power cost (each power still has a minimum of 1 however) if the power is very slow to activate or energize (taking at least 1d6 rounds to ready). Once ready, such powers can be used normally for 5+1d6 rounds before they must be reactivated. This modifier is inappropriate if the device is basically always on and ready to go, even if it takes a while to initially start.
    Example: Zero wears a power belt that grants him armor +9. It gets a 2 point discount for being a 6-point device. (1 for every 5 points). That’s a cost of 4. The belt also adds 3 steps to both Strength and Vigor via Super Attribute. That’s figured as a single power costing 3+3=6, so the cost here is 4 points as well.
    The belt includes flight at 4x Pace, costing a base 6 points – minus 2 again for a total of 4.
    Zero’s armor and attributes are slow to energize, so he subtracts 1 from each of those powers. His Flight works normally to avoid the embarrassment of plummeting to the earth. His final costs are 3+3+4. The total value of Zero’s power belt is 10 points.

ELEMENTAL TRICKS
    The following options may be selected by those who choose the Elemental Tricks modifier to a power.
    Air: A tremendous blast of air buffets over your foes. Everyone affected must make an Agility check or be knocked prone.
    Darkness: This energy form can be used to dim the vision of your foes. Anyone hit by this power must make a Spirit roll. Failure means victims are at -2 to actions related to sight for the next 10 minutes. This effective is cumulative up to a -6 penalty.
    Electricity: This power courses with electrically charged energy. Anyone affected by this power must make a Vigor roll or suffer an additional d6 damage from the attack. Most electronic foes (such as power-armored foes or robots) make this roll at -2.
    Fire: Anything affected by the villain’s powers may catch fire. Treat most targets as if they are one level higher for flammability. Normally volatile targets roll a d12 instead of a d6 to avoid catching fire.
    Cold: The character’s power is imbued with the frigid chill of ice. Anyone affected by this power must make a Vigor roll or be slowed. A slowed character must go last in initiative, and loses half their Pace.
    Light: A tremendous burst of dazzling light flashes along with the power. Everyone affected must make a Smarts roll or be Shaken. This counts as sunlight for vampires and the like.
    Psionic: This power sends psychic tremors through the target’s minds. Every living being must make a Spirit roll or be Shaken.
    Radiation: Radiation attacks cause an extra +2 damage. (This power may also cause long term damage outside of combat. Victim rolls Vigor at +2. If failed, he gains the Terminally Ill hindrance. If successful, permanently immune to this effect.)
    Sound: This power relies on shockwaves of sound, creating an enormous boom that can rattle the bones of it’s victims. Those affected by this power must make a Vigor roll or be deafened for d6 hours. Deafened characters are treated as if they have the Major Hard of Hearing hindrance.

CHEWING THE SCENERY
    Super-strong villains often use the world around them as weapons. Items with Heavy Armor count as a Heavy Weapon.
    Weapon – Weight – Damage
    Parking Meter – 50 – Str+d10
    Large rock – 100 – Str +d12
    Boulder – 200 – Str +d12+1
    Lamppost – 400 – Str +d12+2
    Large Tree – 1000 – Str+d12+3
    Statue – 1 ton – Str+d12+4
    Car – 2 tons – Str+d12+5
    Truck – 4 tons – Str+d12+6
    City bus – 8 tons – Str+d12+7
    Tank – 16 tons – Str+d12+8
    5-story building – 32 tons – Str+d12+9
    10-story building – 64 tons – Str+d12+10.
    These items fall apart after 1 or 2 uses.

SUPERHUMAN STRENGTH
    Strength over the human maximum is on a different scale than the normal d4 through d12+2. Below are the Load Limits and Maximum Weight liftable for higher Strength values. Characters with Brawny can multiply the numbers by 1.6 for the effects of that Edge.
    A villain may throw an item under his load limit with a Range of 3/6/12. Items less than half the load limit can be thrown 6/12/24.
    Strength – Load Limit – Max Weight
    D4 – 20 – 80
    D6 – 30 – 120
    D8 – 40 – 160
    D10 – 50 – 200
    D12 – 60 – 240
    D12+1 – 100 – 400
    D12+2 – 250 – 1000
    D12+3 – 500 – 1 ton
    D12+4 – 1000 – 2 tons
    D12+5 – 2500 – 5 tons
    D12+6 – 2.5 tons – 10 tons
    D12+7 – 5 tons – 20 tons
    D12+8 – 12.5 tons – 50 tons
    D12+9 – 25 tons – 100 tons
    D12+10 – 50 tons – 200 tons
    D12+11 – 125 tons – 500 tons
    D12+12 – 250 tons – 1000 tons.

BACKLASH TABLE
    2d6 – Effect
    2 – Rift: Something from another dimension has been disturbed by the sorcerer’s dabbling and lashes out at him. He must make a Spirit roll -2 or die instantly. If he manages to live, he may not use powers for d6 days.
    3 – Mind Whip: The character suffers a Wound and loses a permanent die in Spellcasting. He also loses the ability to use his powers for d6 days.
    4-5 – Mental Blast: The villain takes a level of Fatigue and can’t use his powers for a day.
    6-8 – Mystic Feedback: The villain is Shaken and unable to use his powers for d6 hours.
    9-10 – Energy Fatigue: The strain of dealing with such vast power has taken its toll. He is Shaken and can’t use his powers for d8 rounds.
    11 – Magic Shock: The villain is Shaken and may not use his powers for d6 rounds.
    12 – Power Surge: The sorcerer taps into a particularly potent source of magic and gains an extra 4 points he may immediately spend on power modifiers for his current effects.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Woof. Done with that nonsense.

The gear and the powers were just huge, asinine lists. But the character creation's pretty straightforward. The stuff on that Savage Worlds pdf is clear and brief. Cobble together, add 10(15 with extra hindrance) Power Points which you spend somewhere on that huge list and bammo, done.

If you need help with creation, let me know. I will be typing up setting details shortly. But I need a break, haha.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Definitely interested. Although now I have to come up with a viable idea.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Yay for viable ideas!

Now to finish writing up the true fluff.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ok, just to give everyone some ideas, here is a character to help understand how the system works

Name: Cody Simpson, aka Flicker

Power: Teleportation

Race: Human

Background: Always getting into trouble from a young age, he discovered he had the ability to grab things from a distance or to move himself around. From this he graduated to stealing small items to falling in with a bad crowd and carrying out armed robberies. Of course, one day, he stole the wrong item and got a severe beating for taking from the wrong person.
    In return for being spared, he ended up working for a couple of masterminds in a groups of similarly skilled individuals. He's spent time inside, I mean who hasn't, after all being a criminal around supers means it's an occupational hazard.

Yes, teleportation is a wonderful skill for a criminal to have. It has a few limitations, but he is working on those, but it is such a versatile tool.

Attributes:
    Agility: d6 (+1)
    Smarts: d10 (+3)
    Spirit: d8 (+2)
    Strength: d4 (+0)
    Vigor: d6 (+1)

Skills:
    Fighting d4 (+1) - Ag
    Gambling d6 (+2) - Sm
    Guts d6 (+2) - Sp
    Repair d8 (+3) - Sm
    Streetwise d8 (+3) - Sm
    Shooting d4 (+1) - Ag
    Swimming d4 (+1) - Ag
    Taunt d4 (+1) - Sm
    Throwing d4 (+1) - Ag

Edges:
    Arcane Background (Super powers)
    Super Karma: Power Negation (Major): Gold
    Teleport (3) + Move Other (+5) + Range x 2 (+2) + Taxi (+2) + Rapid Teleport (+3)
    When his power takes effect, there is a flicker across him or whatever is being teleported at the start and end

Jack-of-All-Trades (Free Human Edge)

Hindrances:
    Heartless (Minor)
    Wanted (Minor)
    Curious (Major)

I'll figure some gear out later.

Ramses: Is this what you were looking for?

Registered
    Feb 2009

ETA: See post #43 for the character.

I'm having problems pulling together a character.

This will be a Druidic type. Smarts 10 and Spirit 8 rest are based 4 for the 5 stat points.
    Arcane Background give 10 powers and +5 for Hindrances:
    Hindrances: Looking at Curious, Vow to save the environment, Heartless, has killed serial polluters and whalers without any real regret.

Skills: 15 points
    Spell Casting D10 (4)
    Healing D6 (2)
    Notice D6 (2)
    Survival D4 (1)
    Knowledge D6 (2) ??? What does this skill do, I might bring it up to D10.
    4 points left so far.

Edges: I'm a little lost here.
    I am looking at Jack-of-All-Trades (Free Human Edge) Smarts based.

Powers: 10 points +5 I believe
    SUPER SORCERY (3/Level) D10 (12)

I think I am missing stuff here.
    I cannot quite figure out Super Karma: Super-powered characters are larger than life, with faults and responsibilities as great as their miraculous powers. Supers may take an additional Major Hindrance to grant them 5 extra Power Points during charcter creation.

Background needs to be worked up but basically an Eco-Guerrilla/Eco-Terrorist and a deadly one. I'm assuming the invaders have managed to damage the earth and the environment quite a bit in conquering it.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 03 Mar 2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added link to actual character

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

How's this?

Name: Faraday Damper a.k.a. Terawatt

Power: Electricity

Race: Human

Background:
    From an early age Faraday had a strange addiction: he liked giving himself electric shocks. He wondered why other people seemed to find them painful - no matter what stunts he pulled, nothing ever did anything but tickle. Eventually he found he was getting regular jolts from household current and, if anything, he relished the sensation. He managed to get his hands, quite literally, on a light industrial supply; he took a deep breath, concentrated... Okay, that smarted a bit, but he knew, intellectually, that it would have crisped any normal human being. Maybe he was one of these mutants.

Some people might have used their newfound gifts to make the world a better place, especially once they'd learned enough gadgeteering to channel all this absorbed energy into some nifty gauntlets that threw lightning bolts or a couple of wearable ducted fans that actually let him fly. But Faraday always figured charity began at home, and there were some important people in way-out parts of the world who would pay high for his unusual talents, especially if they wanted an inconvenience taken care of in a hurry. Once he was on someone's tail, he was hard to shake off, hard to hide from, and deadly once he caught up.

Years later, despite the occasional run-in with the law, Faraday had a nice pile tucked away and was looking forward to taking early retirement on the proceeds. And then the freakin' "Martians" invaded after all and every single world economy tanked overnight, and all his bank balances put together weren't worth wiping his ass with. Well, someone's gonna hurt big-time for this if Terawatt has anything to say about it!

Attributes: 6 points (base 5 plus Major Hindrance)
    Agility: d10 (+3)
    Smarts: d6 (+1)
    Spirit: d4 (+0)
    Strength: d4 (+0)
    Vigor: d8 (+2)

Skills: 15 points
    Stealth d8 (+3) - Ag
    Shooting d10 (+4) - Ag
    Lockpicking d10 (+4) - Ag
    Streetwise d6 (+2) - Sm
    Tracking d6 (+2) - Sm

Edges:
    Arcane Background (Super powers)
    Super Karma: Power Negation (Strong magnetic fields)
    Attack, Ranged (3) [Electricity], Elemental Trick (2) [Electrical], Extra Damage +1 (3), Rapid Fire +1 (3), Device (-3)
    Immunity (4) [Electricity], Requires Activation (-1)
    Flight, 4x Pace, -1 enemy attack rolls (6), Vulnerable (-2)

Bonus Human Edge: Trademark Weapon (+1 with Attack, Ranged [Electricity])

Hindrances:
    Arrogant (Major)
    Loyal (Minor) {Although he has usually worked alone, Terawatt is too proud to leave a team-mate behind if he has to work with one}
    +100% starting funds (for Minor Hindrance)

Although usually getting by on his innate gifts and his own custom-made assists for them, Terawatt stashed a few things away for emergencies. He didn't usually bother armouring up while on a job but figured he might as well be ready for the worst-case scenario... though he never expected a case as bad as this one.

Kevlar Vest w/Inserts (1200)
    Tactical Helmet (200)
    GPS Reader (250)
    Artificial Gill (100)
    Lockpicks (200)
    Backpack (50)
    Last edited by What Exit?; 05 Mar 2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Copied in Equipment from later post.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2011

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I'm having problems pulling together a character.
    No problem!

Knowledge D6 (2) ??? What does this skill do, I might bring it up to D10.
    A catch-all skill that must have a focus of some sort, like (Occult) or (Science). An archaeologist, for instance, would have Knowledge (History) and Knowledge (Archaeology). It can be taken multiple times with different focuses.
    Examples are Area Knowledge, Battle, Computers, Electronics, History, Journalism, Language [specific], Law, Medicine, Nature, Occult, Science or Tacticsl

It lets you deduce things. Let's say you're trying to figure out the system of a V'sori spaceship, to hijack it. A Knowledge (Computers) roll would be needed.

Edges: I'm a little lost here.
    You mentioned Jack of All Trades. Not bad. For a 'druidic' eco-guerilla type with a mystical bent... hmmm.
    Let's go with things taking advantage of the more mystical side of Druidic. The following are all out of the Savage Worlds core book.
    Arcane Resistance would be good, adds +2 Armor vs. magical sources and +2 to trait rolls when resisting opposed rolls.
    You can also then take Improved Arcane Resistance if you like.
    Perhaps the Beast Master edge, which means animals won't attack you unless you attack them first, and you have a pet animal like a wolf, dog or bird.

Powers: 10 points +5 I believe
    ...-snip-...
    I think I am missing stuff here.
    I cannot quite figure out Super Karma: Super-powered characters are larger than life, with faults and responsibilities as great as their miraculous powers. Supers may take an additional Major Hindrance to grant them 5 extra Power Points during charcter creation.
    It means if you take a third Hindrance (you can take 2 normally; these give you 2 creation points for a Major hindrance normally and 1 for a Minor. So Super Karma means you can take a third) you get 5 power points.
    So you get 10 normally.
    You then take a Major hindrance, and add +5 Power Points. This is how you get 10+5.

If you took, theoretically, no Hindrances during your initial creation, and THEN take Curious when it's time for you to handle your Arcane Background's Power Points, this counts as your Super Karmic Hindrance to get you +5, but only if it comes after you've done your pre-Power Point creation. You've handled your hindrances (or not), regardless of their value, said "done", then moved on to handling your Arcane Background's Power Points. You THEN can take a Major Hindrance, and instead of getting the usual reward (points for your character creation), you get +5 power points.

That's it.

Did that help?

Registered
    Feb 2011

I am psyched to come back from class to see all these shenanigans.

Ramses: Is this what you were looking for?
    Adds up, CatInASuit. Looks good!

Teleport is 3+5+2+2+3, so... 15. I love your tricky little pony! I actually was just telling Zuul how hilarious Move Other can be if used wickedly enough...

A little more on Wanted is good. After I write up the details, I'm sure it'll help. Working on that soon.

How's this?
    Looks pretty good, Malacandra.

All of it seems to add up.

Attack is 3+2+3+3-3, so 8 spent.
    Immunity is 4-1, so 3 spent.
    Flight is 6-2, so 4 spent.
    8+4+3=15.

And you have 2000 in starting funds yippee!
    Last edited by Ramses; 01 Mar 2011 at 09:02 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Between the interest expressed (CIAS, Malacandra, Zuul, Chatelaine, WhatExit?, and Impresario5), and the sheets I have, I can at most handle one more person.
    A spot will be held for Zuul who has to do some travel; they will join, presumably, after we begin.
    Last edited by Ramses; 01 Mar 2011 at 09:13 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Ramses View post
    It means if you take a third Hindrance (you can take 2 normally; these give you 2 creation points for a Major hindrance normally and 1 for a Minor. So Super Karma means you can take a third) you get 5 power points.
    So you get 10 normally.
    You then take a Major hindrance, and add +5 Power Points. This is how you get 10+5.

If you took, theoretically, no Hindrances during your initial creation, and THEN take Curious when it's time for you to handle your Arcane Background's Power Points, this counts as your Super Karmic Hindrance to get you +5, but only if it comes after you've done your pre-Power Point creation. You've handled your hindrances (or not), regardless of their value, said "done", then moved on to handling your Arcane Background's Power Points. You THEN can take a Major Hindrance, and instead of getting the usual reward (points for your character creation), you get +5 power points.

That's it.

Did that help?
    Almost, I take up to 4 points of hindrances up front and then another major to get 5 extra power points?

Registered
    Feb 2011

Almost, I take up to 4 points of hindrances up front and then another major to get 5 extra power points?
    Yes. You don't HAVE TO take -any- Hindrances upfront. But then you can take a Major connected to your Super Kharma free-Edge, effectively, and get +5 extra power points. But you -can- take up to 4 points (2 minors, 1 major) upfront, yes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

ETA: See post #43 for the character.

I'm getting closer now, did I miss where the skills are explained? What I am looking at is the following:
    I figured I better be able to shoot a gun and I should have faith but basically All about spell casting, knowledge and healing. How do the high healing and faith work? Do I need the high healing or can I just you spells to heal? Will this combine to make me an excellent healer with spells? For that matter what does Spell Casting give me?

Skills:
    Spell Casting D12 (5)
    Healing D8 (3)
    Shooting D4 (1)
    Faith D4 (1)
    Knowledge D12 (5) A generalist, a man of learning and wisdom. Emulating the ancient Druids and Bards. He has a long way to go.

All Smart Skills at D4 as JOT
    Gambling, Investigation, Notice, Psionics, Repair, Streetwise, Survival, Taunt, Tracking & Weird Science.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 03 Mar 2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: added link at top of post to character. Ignore this post please.

Registered
    Feb 2011

I'm getting closer now, did I miss where the skills are explained? What I am looking at is the following:
    I figured I better be able to shoot a gun and I should have faith but basically All about spell casting, knowledge and healing. How do the high healing and faith work? Do I need the high healing or can I just you spells to heal? Will this combine to make me an excellent healer with spells? For that matter what does Spell Casting give me?
    Don't bother with Faith. That's from a different rules set. Same with Weird Science. Stupid PDF. No, I'm going off the core + NE, and it doesn't have that. So sorry for that confusion. More points for you!

As for Healing and Spellcasting.
    First off, we'll look at the powers you'll use. Sorcery lets you take whatever power you want. So obviously you're going to be using it and the power Healing.

HEALING (2)
    Trappings: Mystical glow, advanced technology.
    Your villain can heal herself and others with a touch. To do so, she must spend an entire action in contact with the patient and make a Spirit roll minus the victim’s wounds. Failure simply indicates a lost action. Success heals one wound instantly, but costs the healer a Fatigue level that fades 24 hours later.
    A raise does not heal an additional wound, but does prevent the Fatigue penalty.
    Victims with multiple wounds require multiple attempts to heal completely.
    Extras can also be returned to action using the same process outlined above. The GM must check to see if an Extra has expired or not before the healer makes her roll. It generally requires a Smarts roll on the healer’s part to recognize whether or not an Extra is beyond saving.
    Modifiers:
    -Refresh (+2): This power allows a villain to give her comrades a temporary respite. The healer makes a Spirit roll as a flood of healing energies floods out from her in a 24 foot radius. Anyone within, friend or foe, recovers automatically from Shaken.
    -Rejuvenation (+3): The villain can heal nonpermanent crippling injuries. This requires a Healing roll at -2 (and minus any wound penalties) and may only be attempted one time per injury. This is a separate roll from those used to treat any actual wound levels.
    -Restoration (+5): The villain can heal permanent crippling injuries. This requires a Healing roll at -4 (and minus any wound penalties) and may only be attempted one time per injury by this character (a different healer could try again though).
    -Revive (+2): The character can remove one Fatigue level from himself or others with a touch and a Spirit roll. Only one level per round may be so relieved. This feat may only be performed once per day on a particular person. Any more than that requires actual food/rest/water/etc.
    -Resurrection (+10): The ultimate healing ability is the power to raise a villain from the dead. In Necessary Evil, the body must have been dead no longer than 12 hours and must be reasonably intact (approximately 75%). Resurrected victims return to life with three wounds that fade at the rate of one per week, regardless of any other treatment, magic, miracles or even the Revive modifier to this power.
    As you can see, two of the rolls require Healing, the other require base Spirit. Which means, honestly, Spirit will get you most of the way. That said, Healing's skill has an entire rules section to it which I'll quote now, and it is frustratingly not in the PDF.
    The Healing skill can be used to treat wounded characters after a battle. (Only magical healing works fast enough to be used during a battle.) Each attempt takes 10 minutes and requires some basic supplies such as bandages and clean water. If these aren't available, the healer suffers a -2 penalty. This healer must also subtract the patient's wound levels from his skill roll. Note that a wounded healer must subtract his own wounds as penalties as well. A wounded character trying to heal his own injuries suffers double their wound penalty - one for severity of damage, one for their own pain.
    A success removes one wound and a raise removes two. Medics can reattempt their healing roll as often as they like within one hour of the wound being received - after this, only natural healing or powers can help. A result of 1 or less, however, means the patient suffers an additional wound.
    It goes on a bit, but that's the relevant details. As you can see, you won't have too much use of this to do magical healing. Incidentally, it mentions Natural Healing as well; this is a Vigor roll done every day for wounded characters, not a Healing roll either.

Now, as for Spellcasting.

SUPER SORCERY (3/Level)
    Trappings: Sorcerer supreme!, reality warping, applied quantum mechanics, “any sufficiently advanced technology”
    These powerful beings control eldritch energies that allow them to do nearly anything, at whim. The strength of a super sorcerer lies in her flexibility. She can manipulate raw magic itself instead of focusing on only a handful of spells. Magicians who have two or three powerful spells are easier to make by taking specific powers with a magic trapping.
    There are a number of lesser sorcerers on Earth. These dabblers are far beneath the level of the world’s “super sorcerers”.
    Super sorcerers must have Spellcasting at d8 or higher, a Smarts of at least d8 and Spirit of d8 or more.
    Super sorcerers can give themselves any power in this book at will as a “spell”, including any Modifiers up to their level in super sorcery. Each spell cast takes an action, requires a Spellcasting roll and the sorcerer must be able to move both hands and speak.
    If a 1 is rolled on the Spellcasting die (regardless of Wild Die), the sorcerer has made a mistake in his incantations and endures a dangerous spike in energy. He is automatically Shaken and all his current spells are negated. Once cast, a spell may be maintained as long as the caster desires – it simply takes up that many of his allowable casting points. The temptation for greater power is always present however and a super sorcerer can go over the limit, borrowing additional casting points up to his level in this power. This is very dangerous, and if his Spellcasting rolls equal to or less than the number of points borrowed, the caster must roll on the Backlash table.
    On the other hand, spell-casting is pretty critical to a sorcerer just by the power itself.

So basically to successfully GET "Healing" in this example, as a power, you must roll Spellcasting and get a success (incidentally, the default target number is a 4. So rolling a d12 gives you an 80% chance of rolling a 4 - that's pretty good!). Once you get a success, you now 'have' the power of Healing until you try a new spell. Now that you 'have' "Healing", you roll Spirit for its effects as per the power, or roll Healing for the modifier abilities if you picked them up.

Skills:
    Spell Casting D12 (5)
    Healing D8 (3)
    Shooting D4 (1)
    Faith D4 (1)
    Knowledge D12 (5) A generalist, a man of learning and wisdom. Emulating the ancient Druids and Bards. He has a long way to go.
    Additionally, you listed above that your Smarts is a d10. If this is true, then it costs 2 points to go from D10 to D12 in Spellcasting (for a total of 6 points), and 2 points to go from D10 to D12 in Knowledge (for a total of 6 points).

If you decide to take any hindrances at creation, it costs 2 to raise an attribute; it might be worthwhile for you to use the points given by this to raise Smarts to d12, making these cost 1 each again. Such as Vow (major?) or Heartless+Vow(minor) or another one on top of those. (you can take up to two minors and one major; Major gives 2 points for Creation, and Minors give 1 point each).

Additionally, Knowledge is -not- a generalist. You do have to take a specialty, unfortunately. = / You can take it multiple times if you prefer, such as instead of a d12, you can have one Knowledge at d8 and the other at d6... there's an effect called Common Knowledge, actually, and is a pure Smarts roll. So you actually already ARE an amazing generalist if you have a d10 or d12 in Smarts.
    Last edited by Ramses; 02 Mar 2011 at 06:37 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

My character! Mostly complete. Just need a background and I think I'd like to look at the gear list again. Thanks for the help, Ramses.

Ninienne

Race: Atlantean
    Racian Edges & Hindrances
    -Aquatic: Live beneath the waves, and can survive in the depths despite the cold or crushing pressure. Their Pace in the water is equal to their Swimming skill.
    Atlanteans must spend at least 8 hours out of every 48 submerged in water. If denied, they begin to die. They must roll Vigor once every 8 hours or suffer Fatigue, Exhaustion and finall death.
    -Tough: Atlanteans are raised in the crushing depths of the world's deepest oceans. They start with a d6 Vigor instead of a d4.
    -Telepathy: Atlanteans can communicate telepathically with other Atlanteans, hybrids or V'sori. The range on this ability is sight. Unfortunately this makes them easier to pick up by the V'sori who gain a +2 on their Notice rolls to find Atlanteans.

Traits:
    Agility: d4 (+3) = d10
    Smarts: d4 (+1) = d6
    Spirit: d4 (+1) = d6
    Strength: d4
    Vigor: d6 (+1) = d8

Skills
    Fighting (agility) 4 = d10
    Swimming (agility) 3 = d8
    Throwing (agility)1 = d4
    Guts (spirit) 2 = d6
    Intimidation (spirit)2 = d6
    Notice (smarts)2 = d6
    Taunt (smarts)1 = d4

Hindrance
    Bloodthirsty (2)
    Distinctive Appearance: Spines along her back (1)
    Heartless (1)
    Fire Weakness

Edge: Berserk

Absorption (4)
    Transference (6) =+ Vigor + Strength
    Requires Activation (-1)

Super Strength (4)
    +4 die steps
    Requires Activation (-1)

Super Vigor (2)
    +2 die step
    Requires Activation (-1)

Paralysis (2)
    Always on (-1)
    Extra Power (+1)

Parry 7
    Pace 6
    Charisma 0/-4
    Toughness 6/10/10+

Registered
    Feb 2009

Welcome to Mellophant, Chatelaine.

Are you friends with Ramses or did you find the board some other way?

Are you NYC, the Island or Upstate? I'm from the Bronx originally and lived most of my life in Jersey.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Thanks, WhatExit?

Ramses and I are friends. He runs a good game so here I am!

And yes, I'm here in the city.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default For Review: Fítheal Mac Mongán Ancient Irish Druid but actually a member of the Sidhe (Faerie)

Fítheal Mac Mongán,An ancient Irish Druid but actually a member of the Sidhe (Faerie).
    Fítheal means Faerie, Sprite, Brownie or Goblin.
    Mac Mongán signifies son of Mongán mac Fiachnai who was the son of Manannán mac Lir himself. I am his illegitimate child with a Sídhe lover. So I am roughly three quarters non-human.

I believe I was born in the year 612 of your lord. It is hard to be sure. I am a Druid with an excellent study of the old magics as I studied them under Math fab Mathonwy, Merlin and John Muir who was of course a powerful Druid himself though he kept it secret.

Humans have ravaged my world. But a wise Druid must pick his fights, so I have done what I can over the years. In most cases working to protect areas and mostly failing but then learning from John Muir there are less forceful ways to make changes. Before the Alien invasion, different government groups were hunting me down, especially the FBI as I had destroyed whalers, killed important business men and threatened a recent vice president of the USA which was probably not my wisest moment. I looked into his soul and found evil and power beyond my skill. Thankfully he was one of the first to die to the aliens. Now the remaining governments have far bigger concerns than myself and as the aliens have done nearly as much damage in a short time as humans have done over my very long life. I will use all my powers to drive them off before the world is lost. My forefathers already lost their land in one invasion. We will not lose the world for I am part human and there are many good humans so I will work with anyone working to destroy these monsters from another world. Then maybe we can build a better world.

My history is long, very long and the details would take forever, but most of my life I spent on the Island of Albion in the area called Wales. When I was still young, my friends were the Sea People, the Selkies, Seals and Dolphins. They introduced me to the wisdom of the great wise whales. I learned much from all of them though I never mastered swimming without the aid of my magic to turn myself into a seal or dolphin. I studied with Merlin though he was known as Myrddin Wyllt back then. This was after he had tried to help Arthwr. The stories and legends are wrong on so many points, but that should not be a surprise. I explored the world over the next millennium but always returned home to my Wales where my father was once King and where I could revel with the rest of the Fair Folk. The long centuries past and my people became ever more reclusive. They dwindled as some faded away, some disappeared and many fell into a long sleep which my people are prone to as they weary.

Some of us did not wish to fade away. We decided Albion was lost. So I immigrated to the New World with a few others of my folk and made some alliances with the Good Folk of the Americas but they were largely as impotent as my own people. I came over before the US was a nation, I even helped the Colonies against those Red Coats, I never much like the British Government and this was made worse when they brought in those German Kings with no ties to the land.

I moved out West where the land was wild and open. I lived some glorious years then. I explored all of the Americas. When I returned what was now the Western US was changing quick. The great herds of Buffaloes were nearly gone. The open lands were being divided up. I went through my darkest period and nearly died. My one great victory was against an evil man named Custer but it was hopeless. The US I helped take form was going to destroy this huge land like their British ancestor had devastated Albion. I would have probably given up and taken chances too risky and died if not for meeting a few key people. The Ancient Druid in the guise of John Muir, the strange wise man Ambrose Bierce (This was after he faked his death.) and one Samuel Clemens. These three gave me direction. I am still a hot head but mostly I have it under control.

Sorry for my ramblings, my mind wanders when I think about the past. My great success was helping environmental groups help me in my cause. John Muir's group was always a little tame for me so I encouraged others to be more active.

Now we must destroy these V'sori invaders.
    ================================================== ==========
    Agility 4
    Smarts 12+1 (4)
    Strength 4
    Spirit 8 (2)
    Vigor 6 (1)
    Hindrances: (M) Vow to save the environment will be distracted at times especially if endangered species and most especially cetaceans are threatened, (m)Heartless, has killed serial polluters and whalers without any real regret. (m) Distinctive appearance. 6’9” tall, thin, pale semi-translucent greenish hued skin and green hair.

Skills:
    Spell Casting D12 +2 (5) Sm
    Shooting D4 (1) Ag
    Knowledge D10 (4) Sm - Occult
    Swimming D4 (1) Ag
    Persuasion D6 (2) Sp
    Notice (2) Sm +2 for HEIGHTENED SENSES

All Smart Skills at D4 as JOT
    Gambling, Investigation, Psionics, Repair, Streetwise, Survival, Taunt, Tracking.
    Arcane Background give 10 powers and +5 for Hindrances:
    Super Karma Hindrance 5pt bonus: (M) Curious,

Edges: I am looking at Jack-of-All-Trades (Free Human Edge) Smarts based.
    SUPER SORCERY (3/Level) D8 (9)
    SUPER ATTRIBUTE (1/Step) Smarts +1
    SUPER SKILL (1/2 skill pts) Spell Casting +2
    AGELESS (1) and Very Old (1) adds +2 to Common Knowledge rolls.(Is actually a member of the Sidhe rather then human.)
    GIFTED (1) Well-read, photographic reflexes, The character ignores the -2 penalty when making unskilled rolls.
    HEIGHTENED SENSES (1) He adds +2 to Notice rolls. Sidhe or Elven senses if you will.
    Equipment:
    Z-Belt (Force Field) $500 Captured/stolen recently.
    Cell Phone $50 GPS $250 Commlink $0
    Back Pack $50 Bedroll $25 Canteen $5
    Flashlight Crank LED 2/4/6 LEDS $20
    Rope 100’ ¼” $10
    First aid Kit $50 Automotive style repacked for back pack carrying ease.
    $40 in clothes.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 03 Mar 2011 at 12:37 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

[I]I am unsure of the Super Sorcery but I think I am taking 3 levels in it, I will need to come up with a name and flesh out the background more and add equipment. He won't have much high tech stuff of course.

Skills:
    Spell Casting D12 +2 so D16? (5) Sm
    Just d12+2.

Knowledge D10 (4) Sm The field of Biology I guess.
    Knowledge: Nature would also make sense, or Knowledge: Occult, based on what you show here. Your call ofc.

Other then that, looks great!

Registered
    Feb 2011

Quote Originally posted by Chatelaine View post
    My character! Mostly complete. Just need a background and I think I'd like to look at the gear list again. Thanks for the help, Ramses.
    All the stats add up. Looks good!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Ramses View post
    [I]I am unsure of the Super Sorcery but I think I am taking 3 levels in it, I will need to come up with a name and flesh out the background more and add equipment. He won't have much high tech stuff of course.
    Skills:
    Spell Casting D12 +2 so D16? (5) Sm
    Just d12+2.
    Knowledge D10 (4) Sm The field of Biology I guess.
    Knowledge: Nature would also make sense, or Knowledge: Occult, based on what you show here. Your call ofc.

Other then that, looks great!
    I'll lock down the knowledge then to Occult, that does make the most sense.
    I fixed the Spell Casting and I will expand the Bio throughout the day. I will try to add equipment also.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Chatelaine - welcome to the board.

What Exit? - you're playing an elf aren't you, go on admit it

Character bio update.

Wanted: Flicker. For the armed robbery of two armoured trucks as part of the Sparrow gang. The gang made off with $300k in used notes, leaving 1 guard dead and 3 guards injured. A reward is available for any information leading to the capture and conviction of this person.

Yeah, that poster is an unwelcome reminder of something I really shouldn't have done after attempting to go straight. Who am I kidding, there are arrests warrants out for me in several states and it was a thrill to be in action again. I didn't kill that guard, someone else did and I don't know who. I was just there to get the bags of cash out while the trucks were stopped. Teleporting bags of cash to yourself is so cool, you should try it, oh wait you can't. No what didn't help was when Starshine, that silly flying dazzling female heroine, turned up to stop us. She wasn't expecting to be teleported to me, and frankly I wasn't expecting to be able to teleport her to me either. The looks I got when I found her in my arms were disturbing to say the least. From her for having the audacity to touch her and from the rest of the Sparrow gang for actually saving her from a hail of bullets as she flew in.

Yeah, I was not popular and she made sure of it when she was kicking our asses. Then the guards got brave and it became messy. We shot our way out and ran leaving her to look after the guards. I got kicked out of the car not long after that and told in no uncertain terms which cities I should avoid in future.

10 days later they got caught and I'm still running free. The final bag of money I teleported out gave me enough to keep going.

Heard about the destruction of the supers later on and always wondered if Starshine was there as well. Probably the first and last time, I would ever get to put my hands that close to a heroine.

There you go Ramses, plenty of things to get my character into all sorts of trouble in the future. Wanted can either be the Law wanting to catch up with him, certain cities crime bosses wishing to see him punished for his part in the robbery or even Starshine looking for a bit of payback. Knowing my luck, probably all three.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    What Exit? - you're playing an elf aren't you, go on admit it
    Absolutely, as much as the Sídhe are effectively Elves. Or better yet, as far as the Sídhe and Elves like those of Tolkien, The Norse and even D&D are basically the Fair Folk. But this character is not a nice Elf like you would find in Middle Earth, but a fearsome old nature spirit type that is deadly, tricky and very full of revenge.

See above for history. Post 43.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 03 Mar 2011 at 12:22 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Although usually getting by on his innate gifts and his own custom-made assists for them, Terawatt stashed a few things away for emergencies. He didn't usually bother armouring up while on a job but figured he might as well be ready for the worst-case scenario... though he never expected a case as bad as this one.

Kevlar Vest w/Inserts (1200)
    Tactical Helmet (200)
    GPS Reader (250)
    Artificial Gill (100)
    Lockpicks (200)
    Backpack (50)
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

I copied your Equipment Post onto the end of the Character in post 32 above.

+ Reply to thread