+ Reply to thread

Thread: We, the novel.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default We, the novel.

Has anyone read this, or at least heard of it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_%28novel%29

I need to read this.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

"I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Sounds kind of like Ayn Rand's Anthem, as well as Brave New World.

I never got much out of those sorts of dystopian novels. (Überconformity and totalitarianism are bad? No kidding!)
    Last edited by Orual; 24 Feb 2011 at 03:32 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've never heard of this book, and I read here that it influenced Orwell.

I was so disappointed by other distopian "classics" like Brave New World and The Iron Heel, but this sounds interesting.

-Jim Rockford

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

AGGGHHH! He's looking at me...and he can tell I have the Sorceror's Stone in my pocket!

"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've read it twice, in high school and university. That means it was a looong time ago. I don't remember a ton about it, in all honesty, but I think it's worth reading. That it comes out of a Russian sensibility, not an English one, makes for a different approach that's worth checking out, I think.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    Sounds kind of like Ayn Rand's Anthem, as well as Brave New World.

I never got much out of those sorts of dystopian novels. (Überconformity and totalitarianism are bad? No kidding!)
    Orul, I basically, agree, and that's why I found the novels of that type, save 1984, fairly dull.

What makes 1984 work, is not the scenario, but the horror of pretending to conform when you see through the lie. It's chilling because Winston ultimately DOES conform...or becomes perfect.

Also, no one paints a picture like Orwell. Every scene is so artfully drawn that you see everything--the dingy walls, the long lines, even the emotional fatigue--like these were on a news reel.

I'm always saddened that this book isn't regarded as a great triumph of story telling, and not just a bold political statement.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    I've read it twice, in high school and university. That means it was a looong time ago. I don't remember a ton about it, in all honesty, but I think it's worth reading. That it comes out of a Russian sensibility, not an English one, makes for a different approach that's worth checking out, I think.
    I have enjoyed other Russian work I've read. It always seems to be at least a little political.

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Went looking for it when I was a teenager and couldn't find it. 'course that was before Amazon became popular. It was after I'd read 1984 and Brave New World in quick succession. Must buy a copy.

I agree with Loafy about 1984, it is so beautifully told.
    Last edited by The Original An Gadaí; 24 Feb 2011 at 04:23 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've read it, not horrifically bad, but not exceedingly great, either. If you've read 1984, you've basically read We. The endings of the two novels are different, but there's enough similarities between the two novels that had they both been published in the late 20th Century, there'd be copyright infringement lawsuits aplenty.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Tuckerfan View post
    I've read it, not horrifically bad, but not exceedingly great, either. If you've read 1984, you've basically read We. The endings of the two novels are different, but there's enough similarities between the two novels that had they both been published in the late 20th Century, there'd be copyright infringement lawsuits aplenty.
    You're not making me feel excited about this. I have to read it. Now you've made it work. Tell me it's awesome.
    Last edited by Oliveloaf; 25 Feb 2011 at 10:21 AM.

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't know if it's awesome, but my recollection is that reading it wasn't work. It was a good story that moved along.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    Quote Originally posted by Tuckerfan View post
    You're not making me feel excited about this. I have to read it. Now you've made it work. Tell me it's awesome.
    If you've read 1984, you'll find the book interesting just because you'll keep noticing the elements which Orwell "borrowed" from it. Its akin to sitting two painters down before the same landscape, telling them to paint what they see, and looking at the results.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ah, I feel better! Thanks. Read 1984 a dozen times.

-Jim Rockford

+ Reply to thread