+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cricket World Cup 2011

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Cricket World Cup 2011

The Cricket World Cup has started in India and runs from Feb 19th to April 2nd.

It has all the major Test Nations playing along with several of the Associate nations to make up the numbers and spring an upset now and again.

Code:
    Group A 		Group B

Australia 		India
    Pakistan 		South Africa
    New Zealand 	 	England
    Sri Lanka 		West Indies
    Zimbabwe 	 	Bangladesh
    Canada 		 	Ireland
    Kenya 		 	Netherlands
    Top four of each group play off in the quarter finals and so on.

It is expected that the top eight Test teams will go through to the quarter finals, but who knows what upsets may lie in wait.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

and I will just add now, that England have no chance, none, nada, nil, nix, na-ha, noway etc. etc.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jan 2010

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    and I will just add now, that England have no chance, none, nada, nil, nix, na-ha, noway etc. etc.
    Isn't that wot you said about the Ashes?

Australia will crush all before them, and win for the eleventy hundredth time in a row. Or not.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Ashes is going to be all we win for the next few years, methnks.

Just managed to struggle past the Nerthlands, but with absolutely terrible fielding.

On the plus side, Trott may very well get the fastest to 1000 runs in this tournament beating Viv Richards who holds the record with 22 matches.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So far all going according to script - Test nation beats Associate nation.

Today, we get the first two Test nations playing each other: South Africa vs West Indies.

Given the Windies poor record over the last couple of years, it may as well be Test vs Associate, South Africa should win this one.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jan 2010

222. The Windies might be in with a chance if they can get a couple of early wickets.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nope, Windies lost depsite the rain.

And now the Aussies have gone and beaten NZ as well in a fairly convincing manner.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, what a match between India and England. Scores tied at 338 after 50 overs.

Amazing game and with plenty of lingering controversy as well. The short run, Bell's non-LBW, two amazing centuries and neither side deserving to lose.

Great advertisment for the 50-over version of the game.

Registered
    Apr 2010

Astonishing effort by Ireland, considering they were five down for 111 with half their overs gone, and the latest in a series of occasional upsets from them, including the West Indies some years ago and Pakistan in the last World Cup. That leaves us with plenty to do to stay in the competition. Well done the Irish (damn them)!

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Suck it England!!! 800 years!!!

Now please someone explain in the simplest terms ever what the fuck Cricket is about.

Registered
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    Suck it England!!! 800 years!!!

Now please someone explain in the simplest terms ever what the fuck Cricket is about.
    Well, if you know nothing about the sport and are just here to Anglo-bash, I should fuck off if I were you.

It was a mistake trying to lose graciously, I see.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I see the sense of humour bypass was a success.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sir Richard ffoulkes View post
    Well, if you know nothing about the sport and are just here to Anglo-bash, I should fuck off if I were you.
    Sorry, I should provide a bit of context. My comment was meant mainly for CIAS and meant in good fun. From chat earlier:

<CatInASuit> It's england vs Ireland
    <The Original An Gadaí> grrr
    <The Original An Gadaí> that didn't go too well for us most of the past 800 year
    <CatInASuit> not going well today either

Registered
    Apr 2010

Then perhaps the private joke belonged in the same venue as the earlier conversation, instead of seeming to be indiscriminately tossed at any Brit who might wander within range. And really, "Can't you take a joke?" just doesn't fly. But I'll accept that it was just unfortunate timing, and seemed more graceless than it was meant given that I'd just popped in to congratulate Ireland in general and Kevin O'Brien in particular and seemed to cop a noseful of rubbing-it-in by way of return. Ah well, it's hardly the first time it's been less about sport, more about chips on shoulders. Hope you enjoy the rest of the competition!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yes, quite.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Er.... Well done Ireland. Kudos to England.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh dear, I appear to have caused a ruckus.

First off congrats to Ireland and especially O'Brien for their victory, it was well earned seeing as England's bowlers other than Swann and Bresnan are clueless.

Aggie: Cricket is a game for gentleman, excessing boasting is not considered part of it.

Sir Ffoulkes: Please except my apology for my friends behaviour, as his comments were aimed at me.

Now, who is for tea?

Registered
    Mar 2010

I was just happy to see the sports-hating freak poast in the cricket thread

Registered
    Apr 2010

Oh dear, I appear to have caused a ruckus.

First off congrats to Ireland and especially O'Brien for their victory, it was well earned seeing as England's bowlers other than Swann and Bresnan are clueless.

Aggie: Cricket is a game for gentleman, excessing boasting is not considered part of it.

Sir Ffoulkes: Please except my apology for my friends behaviour, as his comments were aimed at me.

Now, who is for tea?
    That would be "Sir Richard", but thank you; no-one is accountable for someone else's manners, and I'm less irate over An Gadai than I was yesterday. The cluelessness of England's bowlers is only part of it and takes nothing away from O'Brien's achievement. An innings of such quality in a cause which was utterly lost without it - and won with barely a breath to spare with it - deserves to be praised in the highest possible terms.

Of course it's galling to see the Irish piss on our bonfire, but we're large enough to swallow that - it just helps if there's not too much taunting served up as a side dish. Friends, An Gadai?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I thought England were bad, but Bangladesh just folded against the West Indies. 58 a.o. followed by 59/1 off 12 overs.

That's associate level.

Registered
    Apr 2010

And quite bizarre when you consider that Bangladesh have beaten England in a one-dayer before now (not that this is saying very much) and that they are playing at home. No wonder their fans stoned the team 'bus, though it is reprehensible that they did and unforgivable that they attacked the West Indies' as well; sore losing is even more culpable than graceless winning.

Registered
    Mar 2010

B'desh did manage to get a wicket...

I was so looking forward to watching the Aus/SL match on telly (only the Aus matches are being televised free-to-air here) but it was rained out

Registered
    Mar 2011

It looked somewhat as though Bangladesh are finding the pressure too much. For the first time, they actually carried a level of expectation and the pressure got to them. Maybe when that goes, they'll have some fun with someone.

Registered
    Apr 2010

How astonishing. England, having failed to defend 300+ against Ireland, win against South Africa after posting only 171. As for Ireland, it seems as though 207 against India will not be enough.

Registered
    Mar 2011

It's a funny old game and illustrates that no-one is immune to the squeaky bum! Well done England bowlers... (Jimmy coming good at last. )

Registered
    Feb 2009

I guess comments on South Africa choking will be starting again.

Registered
    Mar 2011

I guess comments on South Africa choking will be starting again.
    Which is absolutely as it should be. Pictures of a couple of the lower order SA batsmen showed them looking extremely worried. You know those moments where you just know something will or won't happen? The certainty that they must score just does not ring true? Yeah, that. I know India vs SA will be a complete anticlimax after the awesomeness of Canada vs Kenya today but it will be fun to watch them go at each other. Pretty much any result will benefit England but only, of course, if we squeeze past Bangladesh.
    Last edited by MarkF; 07 Mar 2011 at 07:20 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, it looks like Kenya will be getting the wooden spoon in Group A.

Ireland vs Netherlands is not for a week or so before that situation is resolved in Group B.

Registered
    Mar 2011

And, based on what I saw of the highlights, they thoroughly deserve it. There was some terrible instances of poor play in all three disicplines, I mean part-time Sunday cricketers would cringe at the awfulness-bad. The associate nations have largely been criticised and the ICC needs to do something to raise the standards here. If any associates want to qualify for the next WC they need to demonstrate a real improvement. For some (Ireland / Netherlands) that will be a lot easier than for others.

Registered
    Mar 2010

I've heard that some of the head honchos are reconsidering Pakistan's status as a cricket-playing nation. It's a tricky situation, because of all the controversies on one hand, and OTOH the logistical/financial/other problems downgrading their staus would cause. I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts on it...?

Registered
    Mar 2011

Quote Originally posted by spitz View post
    I've heard that some of the head honchos are reconsidering Pakistan's status as a cricket-playing nation. It's a tricky situation, because of all the controversies on one hand, and OTOH the logistical/financial/other problems downgrading their staus would cause. I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts on it...?
    Hi spitz, I had a quick look about for any articles on this (newer ones) but couldn't see anything. TBH I can't see any special reason for reconsidering this right now, they aren't playing any better or worse than prior history has shown so that doesn't look like the reason. Security is another thing of course but if there can be a kind of arrangement where Pakistan (the team) can base themselves to fulfil fixtures then that's fair enough. Some might argue they aren't getting the support from home but that's cos people dislike being killed when playing (or so I've heard... ) and at least the home fans can see it on tv.

If the corruption is the driver to the reconsideration, again that seems odd. To punish a national side for the transgressions of a few players / officials is harsh on the rest of the team / support and somewhat heavy handed.

If Pakistan were actually relegated from test status, who would replace them? I don't think any associate national team is ready to assume the mantle, certainly Bangladesh are struggling to cope with it. At least Sri Lanka when they achieved the status made steady progress and development.

Having said all that, Pakistan could do a lot more themselves to render these worries moot. They are their own worst enemies sometimes.
    Last edited by MarkF; 10 Mar 2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: ytpo

Registered
    Feb 2009

And England lose to Bangladesh. At least 25-50 runs short of a decent total and Bangladesh hold their nerve and knock the runs off.

Aside from that, a certain umpire in the Ire vs WI match will have some real explaining to do.

Registered
    Mar 2010

What happened in the Ire vs. WI match?

MarkF, I wasn't referring to anything recent re: Pakistan - I should have worded my post better. But as you say, they seem to be their own worst enemy, and I think things will have to improve for their Test playing staus to remain 100% secure. I guess the Dutch would be first in line, if a replacement was sought.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Quote Originally posted by MarkF View post
    Pretty much any result will benefit England but only, of course, if we squeeze past Bangladesh.
    Oh, poor England

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jan 2010

Quote Originally posted by MarkF View post
    Pretty much any result will benefit England but only, of course, if we squeeze past Bangladesh.
    Oh, poor England
    Yes, poor, poor England.

Registered
    Mar 2011

We got precisely what we deserved. Sod all. Bangladesh were better than us on the day, which is possibly just as well as I dread to imagine what that crowd would have done if they'd lost...

Having said that tho, group B is just mesmerising. Unlike group A which barely registers a pulse.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Group A has pretty much gone according to plan as far as the organisers are concerned.

Group B has had so much more fun, a lot of it based around England.

England can still lose to the Windies and go through if results go the right way, although realistically, we need to beat them.

In the Ireland vs Windies match, the umpire gave someone out, despite the call being referred and the 3rd umpire saying he was not out. Reason begin that although he was hit outside off stump, the umpire claimed he was playing no shot. I believe the umpire is the only person who believed that the batsman was playing no shot. UDRS continues to throw up surprises.

Registered
    Mar 2011

I can fully understand Ireland being disappointed too. Wilson was difinitely playing a shot. I'd be interested to see what, if any, repercussions there may be.

That is, however, the only out and out wrong (IMO) judgement that has materialised with the UDRS. Not only have I been impressed with how many times the correct decision has been arrived at, I think the umpires, after a certain amount of concern about it, are responding really well to it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

With the Bangladesh win, England have to beat the West Indies to qualify. I wonder which England we will see this time around?

It would be nice to have a nice big steamroller victory just to settle the nerves, but it's unlikely it will happen.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Four run-outs in the Dutch innings! That's sloppy. As for England, I wouldn't bet the contents of my wallet on which side is going to turn up. Circumstances did them no favours in the Bangla game but that's no excuse.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

I wonder what the situation will be if Ireland beats South Africa. Could make the last few games really nervous.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looks like England is going to collapse its way out of the WC.

Registered
    Apr 2010

No, as it turned out England were out-collapsed. What drama. West Indies stormed away in the opening overs with Gayle scoring at better than two runs a ball, which is a cracking pace even in 20-20. Then a flurry of wickets left them five down and well over a hundred short, before a couple of partnerships that took them past 200 with plenty of time to spare. Trott barely failed to catch Russell out - from context it appears that his hat just touched the boundary-rope! - before West Indies lost their last four batmen for a beggarly three runs. Quite unbelievable. Best for us now is if, as expected, South Africa beat Bangladesh - otherwise we have to hope that India will beat West Indies. Both of those results are as the form book would have it and either will see us go through, but what drama, I say again!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, that was quite a performance and also means that England have not lost to the top sides in that group (Bangladesh excepted).

I left early thinking it was all over, only to find out we had won. Do England ever know how to play a safe game at all? Ok, they are not through to the quarter finals yet, but they still have a chance.

Registered
    Apr 2010

South Africa annihilate Bangladesh, so England are safely through. Meanwhile Ireland, despite a thumping victory over the Netherlands, go home with nothing but memories. I wonder what kind of an upset they'll cause next time out.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Small compensation for the rugby though. :
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2010

Zweedo, are you an Aussie or a Pom? I'm having trouble reading your posts, not knowing where you're from.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jan 2010

Zweedo, are you an Aussie or a Pom? I'm having trouble reading your posts, not knowing where you're from.
    Good.

Registered
    Feb 2009

and so the quarter finals are now set down.

Pakistan vs West Indies / India vs Australia

South Africa vs New Zealand / Sri Lanka vs England

Could be fun if Pakistan and India win their matches and face off in the Semis.

Also, England are the only team not to be beaten by anyone in the playoffs.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, Pakistan just stuffed the West Indies. Really good performance from them.

+ Reply to thread