+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Futures: The Cassowary and the Continental Zombies

Registered
    Feb 2011

As the time drew close, the hunter carefully scribbled a missive to his relatives in Staffordshire and sent it on its way, explaining that he will be away for some time if he returns at all. A message composed of facts, and bereft of sentiment. Once the airship arrived, he marveled for a long moment, having never been astride such a thing in his years, and gathers his bags and arms.

Traveling aboard the ship, he is clearly impressed as they are given the tour, and as they all end their tour amongst the cabins, with people breaking off, he decides upon the last cabin and moves to settle his things in cabin six, setting down his rifles, his baggage, and even his cap. Removing his jacket, to hang it, he remains in his hunting trousers, his boots which end just shy of his knee, and a plain white cotton shirt. Dangling from his neck are still those familiar teeth of his various kills, and seen peeking from the right sleeve of his shirt is what seems to be the unit crest of some unit or another; if canny and observant, it would be the bottom half of the crest for the 60th Rifle Brigade, the King's Royal Rifles. (( more or less this: https://www.elliottmilitary.co.uk/ca...fantry%209.bmp ))

With this done, he traveled to the frontmost of the ship, intent on seeing from the bridge as the ship would in time rise and push on. The thought exhilarated him to see.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Ian is packed lightly. A smallish steamer trunk of clothes. A smallish tool box and some drafting and writing equipment. For arms he has only a pair of pistols.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Oh, and people will now see that Toff's shoulder length hair is freely hanging down, having shed the pony tail from the first meeting. And his clothes are black. In fact, other than his dress suit, even his changes of clothes are black.

Registered
    Feb 2009

How lucky, it appears that Cabin no.7 is still available. I do hope I will get a good night's sleep there.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So, once everyone is settled in, would everyone like to meet for lunch?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ian goes to check out the cockpit and then superstructure and then the engines. Actually he'll get fairly lost inspecting the finished vessel until such time as he is summoned away.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

With due allowance for such bumpiness as an aerial voyage may entail, I'll set up some apparatus to allow me to employ the time usefully on our voyage, and then I will gladly join my companions for a little lunch.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"Lunch sounds like a great idea. It'll be nice to get to know the people I work with better. It's not very often I actually work with someone else. I'll see you all in the Galley."

*Walks off to the galley.*

Registered
    Sep 2009

Boyd, too, is feeling a bit hungry and will find his way to the galley. What are our luncheon options?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ian eventually stumbles into the dining room as most of the others are finishing up. He helps himself to whatever is available. Without asking he takes a roll of Boyd's plate thinking Boyd would not be eating it at this point.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

After making sure her belongings are stowed properly, and giving the Babbage engine a quick inspection, Klara joins the others in the galley.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Boyd glares at Ian. "May I ask, sir, why you would take something off my plate without even asking? I will thank you to get your own food and not help yourself to mine."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Heh? Oh weren't you done, normal people* eat their rolls early in the meal, I figured I would just save it from a long trip out the window."

* Yes, Ian does not realize he is not normal.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Klara raises an eyebrow from across the table.

"Where I come from, 'normal people' eat off their own plates," she says.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Oh, true enough, sorry bout that then." He wanders over to where the food is. He picks up a few different pieces of fruit before deciding on one and gets a large heaping of food. "So what's the plan?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Eatin'," Lore points out as he finally strolls in to dinner. "An' sleepin', prolly."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Boyd is glad for a change of subject, and resolves to keep an eye on Ian. "That sounds like a good plan to start, given the trip we have ahead of us. Have any of the rest of you traveled by air before?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ian, "Of course, what sort of person has never traveled by air? Now how to we find the mind control machine and destroy or capture it without being controlled?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"I have never had the opportunity to travel by airship before," Klara says to Boyd. "It is rather exciting."

Directing her attention to Ian, she says "I do not think it is wise to make extensive plans as of yet. We may discover more information at the asylum in Gera. We cannot be sure of what Dr. Llewellyn is doing - there is no call to leap to the conclusion that he has built a 'mind control machine', as you say."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I, too, have never travelled by airship before. Indeed I have never left these shores, so this is certainly a new adventure to me."

"Something else may be of use to all here, a little demonstration of hypnotism perhaps, a minor parlour trick as far as most are concerned. A willing volunteer, if any is interested?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ian, "Try me, I doubt it will work though, I'm too logical."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"What a good idea! I would be very interested to see what effect your skills have on Mr. Spencer."

Registered
    Mar 2009

There's a snicker from Lore before he takes a drink of his beer-really, what else did you expect him to drink with dinner?

"See if y'kin turn him to a chicken like they do in those shows."
    Last edited by RabbitMage; 18 Mar 2011 at 05:09 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Boyd laughs. "I'd be very interested indeed in seeing the gentleman turned into a chicken. When I was in India I saw fakirs do some remarkable things by sheer force of will, through a form of self-hypnotism, I suppose. The human mind is a very powerful device."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 18 Mar 2011 at 09:04 PM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

"I'm the kind of person who has never traveled by air. Do you have a problem with that, mouth?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Not really, just shocked by the number of groundlings on this mission. Good thing you have some experienced men along, right Cap?"

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Speakin' a'groundlings, any of y'ever get seasick? Same thing happens in th'air sometimes. I went up flyin' with a whole gaggle've these fancy-types once. Hit some crosswind goin' up, th'whole lot of 'em fired an' fell back, if y'get th'meanin'."

Lore casually takes a bite of his mashed potatoes. "Took th'crew half a day t'clean tha' up."
    Last edited by RabbitMage; 19 Mar 2011 at 10:34 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

After an awkward silence, Boyd coughs into his fist and says, "Well... let's hope for smooth sailing, then, shall we?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I would hazard a guess that in most of those times you see some made to think they are a chicken, it is more performance than anything. And besides, I think a flying bird would be more appropriate. However, this should be a simpler demonstration and perhaps more appropriate to our task at hand."

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Then make 'im think he's a lady."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"As long as no-one asks me to turn you into a gentleman."

Registered
    Mar 2009

An eyebrow is raised. A drink of beer is taken.

"Mebbe y'kin hypnotize us all in't makin' us think yer funny."

Registered
    Mar 2009

"Er. Who's thinking he's a lady?" Dr Lefevre asks with some concern as he comes in for lunch. He'd taken a bit of time setting himself up in his own private medical quarters, as well as ensuring that none of his equipment was likely to shift too much during flight. The idea of trying to perform surgery in an airship is, perversely, somewhat exciting. Imagine the challenge!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Mr. Barnaby was going to demonstrate hypnotism for us," says Klara, who has been observing the conversation from behind a teacup and trying not to giggle audibly. "Mr. Spencer has graciously volunteered to be the subject. I suppose they are trying to decide what the suggestion should be."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Boyd laughs outright at Barnaby's joke, and lifts his cup of tea in salute.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Mar 2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Fixed character name.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Then let us begin and see if this mere amateur can conjure something before your very eyes.", he says with a theatrical flourish.

Moving a chair to one side, he beckons Mr Spencer to be seated.

To the rest of the party, "I would ask for silence, if you please. I cannot guarantee this will work, but I will endeavour to try."

Barnaby pulls out a shiny silver pocket watch on a long chain and let's it slowly move back and forth as a pendulum.

"When you are ready, Mr Spencer..."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Lore rolls his eyes, partaking of a more of his beer.

He will shut up though. For a while, at least.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ian is ready, he is thinking over an rotor problem he has been trying to solve to increase lift as a defensive measure. Ian does not really believe an unwilling mind can be hypnotized.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Lefevre watches with mild interest, dutifully quiet. If mesmerism was more than simply a parlor trick, the doctor could imagine it having medical applications. He can't help but be skeptical about it, however.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Once everyone is in position, Nate stands by the side of Ian and begins to speak.

"Now, Ian, I want to relax, and breathe deeply. Know that as a guest of the Prince it would be the highest of impropriety to cause any harm to you. Feel calm, clear your mind and listen to my voice. concentrate on nothing but my voice, do not think about anything else, just relax and listen to me."

"Stop thinking about you know and listen to me, hear the sound of voice and let it guide you. Clear your mind and be calm, listen only to the sound of my voice and let your mind be clear."

(In order to get Ian to listen to him and be perhaps more willing, Nate is going to make an Acting role to get and keep his attention. Contested Role of Nate's Acting (6) vs Ian Spencer's MIND (5), roll 2d6 with a TN of less than or equal to 8 gives 6, a success, so Nate now has Ian's attention focused on him, rather than his intial thoughts. That was the easy part, but then Nate is a professional scene stealer)

With Ian's attention, Nate then moves and hangs the silver fob watch in front of Ian's face and starts to swing it slowly back and forth in front of him.

"Now, I want to focus on the watch and listen to my voice, see it move and listen to my voice, focus on it and listen to my voice, keep your eyes moving to follow it and listen to my voice, concentrate on it and listen to my voice. Listen to me and relax, be calm, follow the watch with your eyes, see how it moves, listen to my voice and what I am about to tell you. Think of the watch and listen to what I am about to tell you, relax and listen to what I am about to tell you. You are feeling relaxed and calm and will listen to what I am about to say."

(Ok, Nate has now started trying to hypnotise Ian. This works off Nate's Psychology (6) and is a contested roll against Ian's MIND and he has to succeed in a straight number of rounds equal to Ian's Mind. With a MIND of 5, Ian could be quite a tricky proposition.

Using a random dice roller online, gives, 8,7,7,8,6 - 5 successes in a row, how fortunate is that.

At this point, Ian is now hypnotised and open to suggestion.)

Looking at the sllightly glazed look on Ian's face, Nate is surprised to find it worked so easily. Maybe it was fate, lending a helping hand again. The watch swings back and forth with Ian's eyes fixed on it.

"Now you are listening to me, and you are feeling sleepy. You are drifting off and will do as I say. You are falling asleep and will soon be under my control. You will only listen to what I have to say and act as I tell you to act."

Nate pauses slightly.

"Mr Spencer, while you are listening to me you will pass all your bread rolls to Lady Klara as a present. You do not want your bread rolls and will give them to Lady Klara. While you are under my control you will give your bread rolls to Lady Klara. Soon you will awake, but you will be under my control. When I clap my hands you will sleep again and listen to what I have to say. You will not remember why, but you must give all your bread rolls to Lady Klara, and when I clap my hands you will listen to me again. Wake up Ian, wake up, it's time to wake up.

Nate stops swinging the watch and puts it neatly back into it's shirt pocket.

"Wake up Ian, so how do you feel..."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Sorry Nate, knew it would never work. It's just trickery after all."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Such a shame", says Nate as he heads to the table. "Oh look there is a bit of lunch left, here you go Ian, for being a good sport, have a bread roll."

Nate passes across a small plate with a bread roll on it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Lady Klara, may I present you this roll", Ian says as if it a grand object.

"Well better luck on the rubes and all that", he says to Nate.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Boyd says with a sigh, "What a pity; I was hoping to see someone really hypnotized." His eyes are dancing with amusement, however.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Does anyone have any questions?" asks Nate of the others.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"No, not really," says MacAndrew, who has been quietly watching up to now with an air of studied detachment. "We've little enough to go on for the present, and after we arrive and start nosing around it will likely be time enough for questions - but we'll have to be prepared to think quickly when things come to that. Until then, it's my opinion that bridges not come to need not be crossed."
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2010

"I see you've settled in here. Good," the prince declares from the doorway of the galley before stepping in. "And you've clearly impressed Frau Friedrich if she's agreed to feed you." Once he crosses the room Prince Heinrich holds out a tube filled with maps and charts for Lore's use for the journey, to guide them to the lunatic asylum. There are a few cryptic notes on them, scribbled in German.

"For the duration of this mission, I will put MacAndrew in command with Boyd as the ship's first mate. I expect your skill with artillery should serve well for protecting my ship, Mr Boyd. O'Cuinn of course will navigate with Spencer piloting and Fraulein Weber maintaining the Babbage engine. The rest of you have little to do until you reach the ground, unless something should go wrong. Mr Smythe will manage the security and safety of our little crew here. Mr Toff shall be in charge of...acquisitions and I suggest you all listen to him well when it comes to that. Mr Barnaby is your insurance, should there be things to observe or be wary of that no ordinary means can detect.

"Now I must apologize for my delay, but I'm afraid another one of my experimental ships--the Pinguinus--disappeared on a test flight earlier this morning. We haven't been able to determine what happened or find it, but as it was a different design than the Cassowary I'm sure if there was a mechanical problem behind it your ship should not suffer the same fate."

He pauses to mop sweat from his brow with a handkerchief, his magnificent handlebar mustache drooping somewhat. "Now unless there are any questions, you should take flight. I can have my men open our hangar here and you can be on your way before there are any further distractions."

Registered
    Feb 2011

Their huntsman was dressed down into just his white undershirt, khakis and boots; his weapons and paraphernalia were all well locked by now in either the weapons lockers on deck or his own assigned room. With him, by rote paranoia, he still bore a single gun strapped to his right calf, and two knives affixed to his belt which seemed to be made of some strange leather; surely a cured hide of a creature he had at some point slain.

He arrived into the galley without pomp or display to find himself a roll, ignoring much of the antics of those other crew who saw fit to indulge in them. Smythe was there for more than a few when their host arrived, the Prince greeting them pleasantly as always. "I am certain you all feel quite a bit safer knowing this," he managed his joke without much of a smirk at the Prince's assignment of him as the security officer.

"The sooner we've off, the better, I feel, Majesty," he answered plainly, but out of decorum, still stood with his plate set aside rather than indulging, standing rigidly in respect of a crown. Royalty demanded attention, and he offered such without restraint.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Very well. Mr O'Cuinn, a course if you please, and let us have the Cassowary's rotors spun up, Mr Spencer. Posts, those who have them, and those who are presently passengers, I suggest you enjoy the ride while you can; there will likely be work enough for all of us before we're done.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2009

...so first a large, flightless bird from the southern hemisphere and then one from the northern. Dr Lefevre frowns a bit, noting how bitterly fitting it is that the ship named after the extinct genus should be the one to suffer such a fate.

"How rough is taking off? Those of us who are not part of the..." He makes a sweeping, vague gesture. "...flight crew or however you say, do we have somewhere we are supposed to stay during launch and landing?"

+ Reply to thread