+ Reply to thread

Thread: Would you lie to start a war and bring down a regime?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Would you lie to start a war and bring down a regime?

Because it appears that is more or less what happened to start the Iraq war.

The defector Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, also known as Curveball, has admitted telling lies to the German and USA Secret Services about Iraq having WMD in an attempt to bring down Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq.

The details he provided were the main basis of Colin Powell's speech to the United Nations with the result being the invasion of Iraq. Rafid is now claiming that his lies could have been discredited fairly easily, indeed Donald Rumsfeld's memoirs admit that Saddam had no weapons of mass destruction.

But the question is: did he do the right thing?

His lies started a war lasting several years resulting in hundreds of thousands of deaths and a destabilised region but led to the overthrowing of a tyrant and possibly bringing some form of democracy and freedom to the country.

More on the story here.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Tough call but he did it for his own people at least. It is better than the US and UK using these lies that appeared to be lies to make an excuse for Dick Cheney's war.

The WMD threat was a ghost with no real proof. The links to terrorist organizations was minimal. The connection to 9/11 was non-existent. The US & UK fought a war for no valid reason except to unseat a despot that was uncooperative with the world. Saddam deserved to be overthrown but the cost was high, too high and it distracted for the real mission of fighting terrorism.

The links to terror all pointed to Afghanistan and Iran* (also Libya and Syria but they cooperated). Why Dick Cheney and the others involved targeted Iraq I am still unsure. I would guess related to thinking we did not go far enough back in Desert Storm. This was a common Neo-Con thought process and one I will admit I use to subscribe to.

* Also many rich private citizens among our close allies the Saudis.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Whoops, never mind.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 15 Feb 2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Posted in wrong thread.

+ Reply to thread