+ Reply to thread

Thread: Betty Garrett has died.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Betty Garrett has died.

I loved her in the old musicals with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra, and of course she's known to my generation as Irene Lorenzo on All in the Family and Mrs. Babish on Laverne & Shirley. A fine comedic actress and singer, I was sad to hear the news of her death this weekend.

Last edited by Sarahfeena; 14 Feb 2011 at 12:08 AM.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Without the pic I would not have been able to place her. Remember her on All in the Family well.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'll always remember her first and foremost as the Lady Cabdriver from "On the Town". She was great in those old movies and an excellent supporting character in the 70's sitcoms.

She was one of the better parts of "Take me out to the Ballgame" with Gene and Frank again. For some reason Esther Williams was the starring love interest but Betty was probably the best part of an uneven movie.

Her career was derailed by being black listed.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

LOVED her in On the Town, and Take me Out to the Ballgame, as well. I loved that sort of not-super-prett-but-fun-and-plucky persona she had. Played well off Frank Sinatra's kind of bashful naivety. The blacklisting thing was bad...really destroyed her and especially her husband's careers.

+ Reply to thread