+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Futures Setup Thread

Registered
    Sep 2010

Default Forgotten Futures Setup Thread

I'm looking to start a game which will be set in Victorian England (at least to start) and utilize elements of steampunk and magic. The game system itself will be based on third edition D&D, but I'll be simplifying it and managing the game mechanics myself. All the players will have to do is, well, play.

The basic premise to begin is that it is the year 1872 and technology has made several dramatic leaps forward. Though Charles Babbage is dead, his analytical engine is fully functional. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas is not science-fiction, but a true account. As weird science has advanced, archaic mysticism has begun to resurface as well.

I'm looking for about six characters. Despite the magic and D&D present, only human characters will be allowed to start. The chance for characters to develop magic will be available later. Engineers and scientists will definitely be good choices in this setting.

I'll need character name, gender, ethnicity and occupation to begin with, then I can generate your sheets.

And just to warn people, I'm a student and I've got a job so it might be kind of slow with me only able to update about three times a week. I'll do my best to keep it interesting, though!
    Last edited by What Exit?; 17 Feb 2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Title changed by request of Peeta

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I would be interested, most definitely.

Registered
    Feb 2011

I could be interested...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Steampunk and I don't have to run it myself? I'm in!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Interested indeed. If you have trouble filling a gap, count me in.

No chance of it being Forgotten Futures?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I am interested but also willing to stand aside if it fills up.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I am in.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Okay, I'll give it a try.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    No chance of it being Forgotten Futures?
    I'd had some steampunk stuff for third edition D&D picked out, but Forgotten Futures might actually work better for what I have in mind. I'm going to make a couple of NPC sheets and roll some fights to be sure I can use this. Forgotten Futures basics for anyone interested.

So I have four definites and three maybes? I can probably handle up to eight players, but I don't want to go over that.

Considering the time period and culture, any female characters are probably going to face a lot of adversity and will be subject to chivalry whether they like it or not. That isn't a discouragement at all, as I really want to see female characters in play. They'll just need to deal with their environment in some realistic ways. Characters who aren't English will also be facing some difficulties. Similarly, class will matter quite a bit in character interactions. I'm not going to allow any royalty and if you want to play nobility or someone who is fabulously wealthy we'll need to negotiate that.

I'd prefer to have engineering, medicine, airship piloting, and big game hunting specialties covered by player characters.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Peeta Mellark View post
    ... any female characters are probably going to face a lot of adversity ... Characters who aren't English will also be facing some difficulties.
    I've shot myself in both feet, then. Excellent.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I've shot myself in both feet, then. Excellent.
    That's the kind of ingenuity I like!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I read The Mysterious Island for the first time recently so would like to play as a Cyrus Harding (or Cyrus Smith depending on the edition) type - a resourceful engineer who, if stranded on a large rockpile somewhere in mid-ocean, could figure out, given help and time, how to make anything from fire to nitroglycerine. An officer in the Corps of Royal Engineers would be just the thing.
    Last edited by Malacandra; 14 Feb 2011 at 01:26 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Would a gentlemen airship designer and pilot be possible? Someone very good with steam engines and design and someone experimenting with better designs. This would be Ian Spencer cousin to Lord Randolph Henry Spencer-Churchill. He would be quite English and male.

The other thought I had was a magician detective. Excellent at slight of hand and early Holmes-like science oriented investigative skills. Zebulon Smith is the name and he is probably Scottish but has worked hard to adopt a fairly upper crust accent an the brogue only comes out rarely. He would actually have made a study of accents for that matter.

BTW: A handy guide to popular names of the time.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Btw, if 20,000 Leagues is fact, how about Robur the Conqueror? Because, fun as airships may be, I think an aeronef would take it up to eleven.

Last edited by Malacandra; 14 Feb 2011 at 03:23 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll happily take the post of surgeon for our merry band here. Considering the state of medical science at the time it'll likely be one who has dabbled somewhat in vivisection and zoology, as well as exploring the theories of inheritance surrounding this evolution business, since Gregor Mendel's research is yet to be rediscovered. I'm thinking Docteur Lefčvre, so Orual isn't all alone in the cultural handicaps.

Also:
    Quote Originally posted by Malacandra View post
    This please?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Klara Weber is the daughter of Professor Ernst Weber of the Universität Wien. She assists him in his work in applied mathematics, currently focused on building robots improvements and new applications for the Babbage engine. Because of her father's position, she is (grudgingly) permitted access to the school's libraries and lectures, though not as an official student.

Unsurprisingly, she is an enthusiastic admirer of the Countess of Lovelace.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Everyone's ideas so far sound perfect for the setting. The combination of a Cyrus Harding type and a gentleman pilot could be quite useful indeed.

I hadn't considered an aeronef, with that book being a couple of years ahead of our setting, but I've been swayed. So many propellers...

I will be using Forgotten Futures. Everyone will have 25 points to start out with and the characteristics will be BODY, MIND, SOUL, and MAGIC. Skills will be just as they are here. Wizardy is not currently available as a skill, but if you don't have any points in magic when wizardy becomes available you will only be able to use spells with an outside magical source. If anybody needs any help making their sheets, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Normal human characteristics are in the range 1-6, with 1 exceptionally poor, 3 or 4 average, and 6 very good, the top percentile of normal human performance. No one is currently allowed characteristics of 7, though it may be possible to achieve this if a special event happens.

Skills cannot be raised above 10, which would signify "near perfection."

Registered
    Feb 2011

I would like to introduce to you, Wilfred "Will" Smythe, a man roughly aged forty covered in mementos of his past victories, not the least of which is the Victoria Cross. A former member of the 1st Ballation, 60th Regiment, "the King's Royal Rifle Corps", he is a veteran of many storied battlefields, not the least of which was during the Indian mutiny in 1857, for which he was awarded his medal by Her Majesty Queen Victoria herself. After separation, he was invited to employ by the Captain who's life he saved, Wilton, as a gameskeeper for the man's large estate. After some quarrels with his friend-and-employer, souring their relationship, he left the man's employ and began to embark upon his own explorations the world over armed with much of the knowledge of beast gained from Wilton and his own history as a farmhand in Staffordshire, and with his knowledge of men from his deployments wildly abroad.

He became a hunter and explorer by 1864, and has been battling foes and beasts for coin and glory abroad the world over since, armed with a variety of weapon, but none more proudly touted than his military Snider-Enfield rifle, which was the very source of the Indian mutiny... and the weapon with which it was brought down.

Registered
    Sep 2010

A sample sheet:

Character Name: Lord Leoendithas Shieldheart the Merciless
    Profession: Gentleman Adventurer
    Sex: Male
    BODY [4] (this spends 5 points)
    MIND [3] (this spends 3 points)
    SOUL [4] (this spends 5 points)
    MAGIC [0] (Unlike the other characteristics, I'm making this one cost a point for the first level. Otherwise it adds up the same as the others.)

Athlete [5] (base is his BODY rating plus one, 1 point spent)
    Brawling [4] (base is his BODY rating. You get this automatically without spending points, but can add more.)
    First Aid [4] (base is his MIND rating plus one, 1 point spent)
    Marksman [4] (base is his MIND rating plus one, 1 point spent)
    Mechanic [6] (base is his MIND rating plus one [4], 3 points spent)
    Melee Weapon [5] (base is the average of body and mind rounded up plus one, 1 point spent)
    Pilot [7] (base is the average of body and mind divided by two and rounded up plus one, 5 points spent)
    Stealth [2] (base is his BODY rating divided in half and rounded up. You get this automatically without spending points, but can add more.)

I'll work out damages and you'll have a chance to choose equipment as well.

A little bit of background explaining who the character is and where (s)he comes from will be good, so I can interweave the stories and explain how you came to be working together.
    Last edited by Zuul; 14 Feb 2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Peeta requested a number fix. ;)

Registered
    Feb 2011

Are Skills the same cost per point as Attributes? IE, 6 would cost 10?
    Last edited by Ramses; 14 Feb 2011 at 05:36 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Not in character creation. It'll get more expensive to buy new skills later. When you buy a skill during character creation it should be the base level listed on the chart to start with, and then for every point after that you get one more added to the skill. To get 6 in, say, Pilot for a character who has a 5 in BODY and a 4 in MIND would cost 3 points.

You purchase Pilot for 1 point. Your base level is (BODY + MIND)/4, rounded up and with one point added. That comes out to 4. Then you spend an additional two points to bring it up to 6.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Lore O'Cuinn was born into a family of mongrel Travelers roaming the British Isles. He grew up with an affinity for shiny things and a deep seated wanderlust, keeping him from settling in one place too long. As a boy he found employ on ships, mainly merchant vessels. He set foot on his first airship at seventeen and hasn't touched much ground since then. Lore has no formal education but years of experience. He is a skilled navigator in the air, on land, or at sea, handy with repairs and rope, and has just enough of a sense of self preservation that he hasn't died yet (although there have been a few close calls).

He may currently be under the employ of another character, or be looking to join a new crew.
    Last edited by RabbitMage; 14 Feb 2011 at 05:47 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Peeta, that's exactly what I was trying to say, kind of. Sorry for the confusion! Lack of clarity on my part.

Your point only goes to the extent of 3, which doesn't help clarify things: if I want to ADD 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 points in a Skill, let's say, what are the costs?
    Let's, for the sake of argument, say I have 2 in Body.
    This gives me a basis of 2 in Athletics (3 as soon as I buy the skill to let me use it).
    I want to have 9 Athletics, despite only being of 2 in Body for some reason.
    To raise the 7 points, I spend what?
    Do I spend A) 7 points (having added 7 ranks past my default Body)
    Or, do I spend B) 14 points (where 1 is 1, 2 is 2, 3 is 3, 4 is 5, 5 is 7, 6 is 10, 7 is 14 as per Attributes)

Trying to clarify that part.

Or, simply: to add six skill points to a skill, would it cost the same as taking an Attribute to six? I understand how I wasn't clear enough because I had said "six skill points" basically, which is vague, since the system counts them inclusively.
    Last edited by Ramses; 14 Feb 2011 at 07:34 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2010

During character creation, skills are a simple one to one purchase. They aren't like Characteristics. You get a bonus because of your base levels, but other than that it's just spending one point for one point.

So you start with BODY 2.

You buy Athlete. Your base level costs one point and you start with 3 in Athlete (BODY rating + 1).

You want to raise Athlete to 9, so you purchase six more points in addition to your base of 3. In all, you have spent seven points on Athlete.

So it's one point for Athlete [3], another point for Athlete [4], another point for Athlete [5], etc.
    Last edited by Peeta Mellark; 14 Feb 2011 at 07:43 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2011

I have changed his name because I realized it was "Will Smith" in Ye Olde Naming. Wilfred Smythe. Ugh. So now Wilfred is his middle name and James is his first name, instead of the reverse which was true.

Player Name: Bowie
    Character Name: "Smythe", James Wilfred Smythe
    Profession: Adventurer
    Profile: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...dom/smythe.jpg

Characteristics
    BODY: 5
    MIND: 4
    SOUL: 2
    MAGIC: 0

Skills: Athlete 6[1], Brawling 5[0], Linguist 5[1], Marksman 9[4], Melee Weapons 6[1], Riding 5[1], Stealth 6[3]

Weapon ---------- Multiple? - Effect -------------- A B C
    Snider-Enfield Rifle - No --- 7 ---------------------- F|I|C/K
    Elephant gun ------- No --- 9 ---------------------- I|C|K
    .38 Revolver ------- Yes* - 6 ---------------------- I|I|C/K
    Boomerang --------- No - Marksman ------------- B|F|KO/I
    Sword --------------- No - Melee Weapons+1 --- F|I|C/K
    Axe ------------------ No - Body+2m/Body+1r - F|I|C/K

*Fire at 2 (-2 attacks), or two at 1 (no mod)

History / Notes
    James Wilfred Smythe, was born at Hadley, near Yoxall, in Staffordshire in the December of 1830. As was the practice in his parish of many small villages, the vicar only performed christenings on certain days of the year. Edward and Lydia Smythe had the good fortune to have their son christened at St Peter's Church, Yoxall, on 25 December, a good omen for the future, they thought.

Edward Smythe was a farm labourer and with his wife had moved to the Midlands in the late 1820s from Scotland, possibly as a result of the depopulation of the Highlands, a deliberate policy of the new Scottish landlords when creating their vast private estates.

James, in his youth, worked with his father, but was never really satisfied with the life of a farmer. He was determined to join the army. Such was his ambition that in the winter of 1850 he left home and walked to Derby (some 15 miles) to enlist. He lied about his age so that he could enlist as a young regular. He succeeded and on 18 August 1851 he was enrolled into the 1st Battalion, 60th Rifles, later the King's Royal Rifles. His training was extensive, and he toured many battlefields during his time, including Burma and South Africa, before he was redeployed again to India.

In April 1857, he was serving with his regiment in India. That month, Indian troopers, under the command of British officers, were arrested for refusing to use the bullets issued to them. Among other complaints, stories had been spread that the bullets were smeared with cow grease and in biting off the protective covering you had to swallow some of the grease of the sacred animal.

The situation worsened and, on 10 May, British Officers were shot at Meerut; the Mutiny had begun. The Indian rebels marched to Delhi where the aged Mughal Emperor, Bahadur Shah XI, was declared the new ruler of India. As there were no British troops at Delhi, a relief force had to be quickly dispatched to recapture the city. Private James Smythe was in the regiment which marched on Delhi, together with regiments of the 2nd Gurkhas and their guides.

On 9 June, Major Charles Reid of the Sirmoor Battalion of Gurkhas occupied the Ridge, northwest of the city. For the next three months he was based in the main piquet at Hindoo Rao's House. There, and in four other piquets, his three regiments withstood 25 separate attacks on the Ridge. Under constant enemy artillery fire, his troops sustained more casualties than any other regiment involved in the siege and capture of Delhi.

It was one of those enemy assaults which led to Private Smythe being awarded his Victoria Cross (a total of seven being awarded to members of the 60th Rifles).

On the morning of 9 July, at about 9 am, the enemy attacked Hindoo Rao's House. Lieutenant Norman, who was commanding the Mound Battery piquet, tried to rally his troops, but not before the enemy had broken through. In a letter to his wife he described the action.

The Carbineer piquet was taken by surprise and for the most part fled, the two horse artillery guns were unprepared and ridden clean through, and the enemy's horse rode through the lines of Olphert's troop and that of the Native Horse Artillery - it appearing as if their principal object was to carry off the latter.

Young Hills of Tombs' troop commanded the gun on the piquet and was knocked over and on the point of being killed when Tombs, running up from camp, shot his assailant with a revolver. Hills and Tombs then went to another fellow and the former was severely cut over the head, but Tombs killed the man.

Hills, having ordered the guns to unlimber alone charged the leading rebels so as to give his men time. He and Tombs, Smythe and Turner won the VC.

During that assault and its eventual defeat, Private Smythe had saved the life of his officer, Captain Wilton, who had been surrounded by the enemy, Ghazees. Without thought for personal safety he had rushed on the enemy alone, rescued the officer and had killed two of them before reinforcements had arrived. For that action, and continued bravery during the Siege of Delhi Ridge, he was elected by the privates of his regiment to be awarded the Victoria Cross.

His medal was officially awarded on 20 January 1860, being recorded in the London Gazette. On 9 November 1860, he had the honour of being decorated with the Victoria Cross by Her Majesty, Queen Victoria, at a parade in Home Park, Windsor. Unfortunately for their continued romance, James Smythe and the British Army did not continue to see eye to eye after this. The mutiny was due to the indifference of British leadership to just clarify the truth to the locals, and many died - many of his friends died - for their arrogance. After serving tens years of service, in August 1861, he was officially separated out of the Army.

With no skills but military interests, Smythe might have found life very difficult in "civvy street", but fortune was smiling on him. Deeply grateful for his life, Captain Wilton took the disaffected private back to Scotland with him to work on his family's estate as a gamekeeper. There he stayed until the winter of 1863 when, once again, he walked away. Due to considerable differences in ideology and opinion of British military righteousness, Wilton and Smythe did not get along well and despite Wilton's deep fondness for the heroism that saved his life, it was not enough to mend their relationship. Smythe was adrift again, and chose to fall back to the only thing he knew well - shooting and animals. The evolution from there seemed natural.

Spending years abroad, he opted to engage in another activity of monetary benefit and of pride, and became a big game hunter, touring Europe, Africa, India, South America and the Far East. He captured and killed many great beasts, and found employment also as a proper guide and explorer, tasked to find this, tasked to guide them, and tasked to kill this. Stopping short of outright mercenary work, he still found himself often enough aiding in searches or recoveries or simply forays into dangerous territories that resulted in many bandits or violent locals descending upon him. Smythe stands today, still, largely unmarred - and it is not for his skill with diplomacy.

His pride grows, and James seeks to prove himself nobler, stronger, more able than ever before. Women, luxuries, moneys, they are pleasant distractions born incidentally of his actions and while appreciated, are not the goal. He seeks to distance himself from the middling life of a cog within an empire's wheels that grind up those for whom it cares the littlest. With his skills, this affords only fame and adventure - and so he seeks it with great passion.

Languages: English, Swahili, Hindi, Mandarin
    Last edited by Ramses; 14 Feb 2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: I was a point over.

Registered
    Sep 2010

If anybody needs help making their sheets or just doesn't want to bother, you can hit me up in a PM. I'll be happy to make a sheet to match your character bio and then we can tweak it from there.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I think I'd like to play, if there's still room. I have in mind a former Royal Marine, forced out by a crooked aristocratic superior on trumped-up charges. He's a crack shot and experienced outdoorsman with a chip on his shoulder and a thirst for adventure.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    I think I'd like to play, if there's still room. I have in mind a former Royal Marine, forced out by a crooked aristocratic superior on trumped-up charges. He's a crack shot and experienced outdoorsman with a chip on his shoulder and a thirst for adventure.
    Assuming everyone who's shared interest so far is still in, I do have room for one more player. This sounds like a good character for the group so far, too.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

If you have room for one more, I'm interested.

I was thinking a PC who represents more of the streetwise criminal element of Victorian England. Not in the violent way, (at least not if it can be avoided), but in a "if it's not nailed down it's mine, and if it can be pried loose, it's not nailed down" sort of way.

I will probably never be found in a fight, though, I have no doubt started a few as a distraction as I slink away. And if I do happen to be in a fight, it's probably not going to be a fair one, at least not on my side.

But there's honor among thieves, and I never cross anyone I work with. It's bad for business. (Unless, of course, the offer is just too lucrative to pass up.)

Male, English, and no doubt of fairly low-station. But has friends in low places. If I'm in, I'll come up with a bio in a bit.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 14 Feb 2011 at 11:57 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Here's my bare-bones. Fuller notes/bio to follow.

Character Name: Fräulein Klara Augusta Weber
    Profession: Scholar/research assistant
    Sex: Female

Characteristics:
    Body [2]
    Mind [5]
    Soul [3]
    Magic [1]

Skills: Babbage Engine 8, Detective 6, Linguist 7*, Scholar 6#, Psychology 5, Artist 5, Riding 3 (Stealth 2, Brawling 2)

*Languages: German, Hungarian, Latin, English, French
    #Fields of Study: applied mathematics, cryptography, music
    Last edited by Orual; 15 Feb 2011 at 01:00 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Cannot resist Forgotten Futures.

A brief character idea.

Character Name: Lucius Nathaniel Barnaby
    Profession: Medium and Mystic

Characteristics:
    Body [2]
    Mind [4]
    Soul [6]
    Magic [2]

Skills: Actor [6], Detective [6], Psychology [6], Scholar [5] (Occult), Medium [4], Riding [4], Brawling [2], Stealth [1]

Languages: English

Bio: Life has not been good to Nate, as he prefers to be know, so why does everyone insist on calling him Lucius. Maybe his family's run-in with the gypsies was a mistake, and certainly there was no need for some of the language they used. But did they honestly think that he would believe in curses. After several years, Nate is no longer sure.

However, for the last decade or so, he has been playing a trade for the upper classes, and contacing the far side on their behalf. A mystic, a medium and a showman, giving the gullible a performance to believe in. Yes Aunt Maud is happy where she is, no your Grandfather will not mention where the secret will is. Unfortunately, his standing has been enhanced by getting it right just a few too many times. Both from his skill of reading people and...and... well just getting it right.

It wasn't his fault he predicted someone's death on a stage in Manchester in front of an audience who was promptly killed when the chandelier fell on him. It certainly wasn't his fault that the gentleman was a well-known and well liked person. It may have been his fault when the lantern was knocked over when trying to get away from the murderous crowd, but how was he to know it would set fire to the theatre.

It's time to move on and make way to London. Looking for things to quieten down, perhaps the bad times to blow over and start again with people who want to believe.

Peeta: If you would prefer more of a fake huckster than a true medium, I can amend the above.
    Last edited by CatInASuit; 16 Feb 2011 at 04:32 AM. Reason: 25 points, not 20.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Player Name: Zuul
    Character Name: Dr. Raoul Lefčvre (Rachel Lefčvre)
    Profession: Surgeon
    Sex: Female (but appears to be male)
    BODY [4]
    MIND [4]
    SOUL [4]
    MAGIC [0]

Skills: Actor 5, Athlete 5, Doctor 5 [Surgeon], Linguist 5 [French, English, German, Latin], Martial Arts 3, Psychology 5, Riding 5, Scholar 5 [Chemistry], Scientist 5 [Zoology]

Brawling 4, Stealth 2

Rachel came from a fairly checkered background. Her mother was a Parisian courtesan and the mistress of a successful writer from a bourgeois family. It was somewhat expected that she'd follow in her mother's footsteps and find herself a wealthy man to support her. Instead, she hungered for something more. Her father was a scientifically minded man without any sons and indulged her, despite her mother's protestations. With his monetary support and guidance, she was able to educate herself in things entirely unfeminine, such as the sciences and medicine. Of course, once she moved beyond private tutoring and needed to enroll in school to take her education further, she found there were far too many stumbling blocks in her way. As a young woman of indelicate origins, there were only a few things society considered her good for.

And so Rachel became Raoul. If women couldn't practice medicine or live as they pleased, then she would simply no longer be a woman. Being an illegitimate daughter meant that no one had ever paid much attention to her besides, and so it was easy enough for a bastard son to use his* father's influence to gain a better education. It would be the last thing Raoul would ever manage to get from his father, but it was enough.

Once he finished medical school, Dr. Lefčvre was intent on settling in somewhere with a quiet practice and indulging his interests in the new theories of pangenesis and evolution. Instead, patriotic duty called as the tension between the Second French Empire and the Kingdom of Prussia came to a head. His skills in surgery were fine-tuned dealing with the wounded, and there was little shortage of them as the war went badly against the French. He never laid hands on a firearm, not even when Paris was occupied, but he did carefully learn all he could about hand to hand combat to better protect himself and his secret. After the war thousands of the middle class poured out into the country, where Dr. Lefčvre could likely continue to work as a country doctor, yet he had no desire for such a provincial life. As anarchists and Marxists sought control of his homeland, Dr. Lefčvre abandoned the nation entirely to travel and study with others who shared his interests in the building blocks of life.

This eventually took him to London, where he worked as an assistant to a zoology professor and had the chance at last to really indulge his interests. Knowing Dr. Lefčvre's support of women's rights, the professor introduced him to Dr. Elizabeth Garrett, an Englishwoman who had recently obtained a medical degree from the University of Paris. To the professor's surprise, Dr. Lefčvre took a violent dislike to the woman. Because of Dr. Lefčvre's cold reception of Dr. Garrett and aloofness to any woman seeking the handsome French doctor's romantic attention, he began to develop a reputation as a misogynist. That suited him well enough, as making women dislike him was safer than turning them away.

Dr. Lefčvre is roughly average height for a man and unsurprisingly beardless, often being mistaken for younger than he is because of his smooth face. Though he tends to react scathingly to flirtation, he generally behaves properly toward women and never swears nor drinks.

* Since the other characters will be unaware of "Raoul's" past when the game starts, I'll only be using male pronouns to avoid confusion between player knowledge and character knowledge.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    Skills: Babbage Engine 8, Detective 6, Linguist 7*, Scholar 6#, Psychology 5, Artist 5, Riding 3 (Stealth 2, Brawling 2)

*Languages: German, Hungarian, Latin, English, French
    #Fields of Study: applied mathematics, cryptography, music
    Excellent skill choices! I can definitely use the Babbage engine ability.

Peeta: If you would prefer more of a fake huckster than a true medium, I can amend the above.
    Nope, a real medium is fine.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I need to follow the link and try to make a character tonight. But which one will work better? The magician/detective type or the pilot/inventor?

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Would a gentlemen airship designer and pilot be possible? Someone very good with steam engines and design and someone experimenting with better designs. This would be Ian Spencer cousin to Lord Randolph Henry Spencer-Churchill. He would be quite English and male.

The other thought I had was a magician detective. Excellent at slight of hand and early Holmes-like science oriented investigative skills. Zebulon Smith is the name and he is probably Scottish but has worked hard to adopt a fairly upper crust accent an the brogue only comes out rarely. He would actually have made a study of accents for that matter.

BTW: A handy guide to popular names of the time.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 15 Feb 2011 at 12:17 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally posted by Hoopy Frood View post

I was thinking a PC who represents more of the streetwise criminal element of Victorian England. Not in the violent way, (at least not if it can be avoided), but in a "if it's not nailed down it's mine, and if it can be pried loose, it's not nailed down" sort of way.

I will probably never be found in a fight, though, I have no doubt started a few as a distraction as I slink away. And if I do happen to be in a fight, it's probably not going to be a fair one, at least not on my side.

But there's honor among thieves, and I never cross anyone I work with. It's bad for business. (Unless, of course, the offer is just too lucrative to pass up.)

Male, English, and no doubt of fairly low-station. But has friends in low places. If I'm in, I'll come up with a bio in a bit.
    Oops, I'd missed this one before. I think I can probably handle one more without any issue. Anyone else who's interested and hasn't already posted in this thread will need to go on an alternates list in case someone drops out.

What Exit?: I think the inventor/pilot would be the best choice with the other characters we have so far. With Rabbit's navigator you'd have a ready made PC crewmember.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Captain Neill MacAndrew RE
    Age 35

BODY[3] cost (3)
    MIND[6] cost (10)
    SOUL[2] cost (2)
    MAGIC[0] cost (0)

BRAWLING [3] free
    MARKSMAN [7] cost (1)
    MECHANIC [8] (mainly civil engineering and construction) cost (2)
    MILITARY ARMS (mainly explosives) [8] cost (2)
    MORSE CODE [7] cost (1)
    SCIENTIST (mainly engineering, physics, chemistry, and related mathematics) [8] cost (2)
    STEALTH [2] free

Well off (1) Minor title (1)

As eldest son and heir to The MacAndrew, Neill MacAndrew could have lived an easy life waiting to inherit the clan chieftainship. True, the MacAndrews have more lineage and tradition than money, at least by Southern standards, and equally, a clan-chieftain-apparent ranks higher north of the Border than in London society, but his family still own a generous slice of Perthshire and do not want for ordinary creature comforts. But after turning down a scholarship to Oxford on purely nationalistic grounds, MacAndrew had very little trouble securing a First at Edinburgh University and could well have followed in the footsteps of his countryman James Clerk Maxwell.

However, finding the purely academic life too quiet for his liking, MacAndrew decided to join the Army as a Sapper and spent several years in far-flung corners of the Empire either blowing things up or throwing bridges across rivers with almost equal facility. He often found his talent for improvisation came in handy and has more than enough know-how to fabricate powerful explosives from scratch, given a few square miles to go prospecting and enough free time and labour.

Anticipating many more years before taking up the mantle from his father, who is barely in his sixties, and having finished his term in the Army with many useful though undramatic achievements to his credit, MacAndrew is more than willing to go and see what is over the next hill and, perhaps, find out if his latest experiments involving nitrated organics will be as involving as the last.

MacAndrew is a reasonably skilled shot with either an Army rifle or his own .22 hunting rifle, as well as with his Webley RIC revolver. However, he never had great affinity with firearms and so, beyond basic army training, has not developed what could have been an outstanding natural talent.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 17 Feb 2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Screwed up and clicked wrong post. Restored proper text.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ian Spencer (cousin to Lord Randolph Henry Spencer-Churchill).
    English and male. Age: 31

Body: 5 (cost 7)
    Mind: 5 (cost 7)
    Soul: 1 (cost 0)
    Magic: 3 (cost 3)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(5) 0 Brawling (B) Boxing, wrestling, & improvised weapons. Free at base value
    (3) 0 Stealth (B/2) Hiding, camouflage, sneaking, etc. Free at base value
    (6) 1 Athlete (B) Swimming, running, etc.
    (5) 2 Pilot (AvB&M/2) Use for aircraft, submersibles, etc.
    (4) 1 Thief (AvB&M/2) Pick pockets, locksmith, forgery, etc

(6) 1 Mechanic (M) Heavy on ME & EE.
    (6) 1 Babbage Engine (M) Use also for computers, golems, etc.
    (6) 1 Science (M) Use of any science.
    (6) 1 Marksman (M) Use of directly aimed projectile weapons.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A gentlemen adventurer, airship designer and pilot. He is very good with steam engines and design and experimenting with better designs. He has a strong interest in automatons. He tends to find relations with his fellow man however difficult. He was largely an outsider except where others pull him in. His relationships have always been brief outside of a few core friends from university days.

His family paid well for a thorough education and while still working on his degrees he took up tinkering with some fellow students. Well to be fair they saw what he was capable of and brought him into their group. They built airships for relatives at first and slowly advanced designs. Ian like his 3 friends learned to pilot fairly well. He learned a variety of skills in pursuing this hobby/enterprise. He is currently interested in building an autopilot and has studied both Babbage Engines and logic circuits and is looking into magic (though with no success so far). His interests are largely in flight, science and engineering.

He has practiced with every sort of projectile weapon he could get his hands on but mastered none. In fact this might fairly describe Ian in every way. He is an eclectic dabbler. He stands only 5’5” but is of a powerful build overall.

business cards with gold leaf printing.
    Ian W. Spencer
    94 Baker Street, London

Masters of Engineering
    King's College London

Pilot, Mechanic, Engineer, Scientist,
    Adventurer and Inventor

Last edited by What Exit?; 23 Feb 2011 at 09:59 AM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Quote Originally posted by Peeta Mellark View post
    Quote Originally posted by Hoopy Frood View post

Oops, I'd missed this one before. I think I can probably handle one more without any issue. Anyone else who's interested and hasn't already posted in this thread will need to go on an alternates list in case someone drops out.
    Excellent. I'll get a character ready for you then. (I've got the character written up, I just need to work on the backstory.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Some Biographical Notes:

Klara was the second of three children. When she was four years old, scarlet fever ravaged the household, carrying off Klara's mother and baby brother. Being left under the sole care of her father meant that she and her sister Liesl had a bit of an unconventional upbringing, especially when the professor noticed Klara's talents for numbers and puzzles. When she started outpacing her tutors, Ernst took over that aspect of her education himself. He also convinced his colleagues at the university to allow her to sit in on classes. (For some reason they didn't really want to say 'no' to a guy who looked like this. Go figure.)

In any case, Klara recently has had her first paper, detailing a new method of cryptanalysis using the Babbage engine, accepted by an (admittedly second-tier) English mathematical journal. As time has gone on, her father has become more of a recluse; focused on his own esoteric projects. He is frequently invited to symposia and academic conferences, and has been sending Klara in his stead. She is used to being viewed as her father's mouthpiece and secretary, but she hopes some day to be recognized her own unique contributions to the field of applied mathematics.

Klara is one-quarter Hungarian, through her maternal grandmother, who lived with the family for a time. Klara and Liesl learned the Hungarian from her, and used it as a 'secret' language, since few people in their surroundings understood it. They both studied music as well; Klara is an accomplished pianist.

Physically, she is a short, slim young woman. She dresses properly, but not extremely fashionably - she doesn't bother with bustles or tightlace her corset.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Ian Spencer (cousin to Lord Randolph Henry Spencer-Churchill).
    English and male. Age: 31

Body: 5 (cost 7)
    Mind: 5 (cost 7)
    Soul: 0
    Magic: 2 (cost 2)
    What Exit?, you have no soul. You're not doing any talking for the party, possibly no talking in the party either.

Just a note for everyone who may have missed it, your characteristics don't change once set.

Registered
    Feb 2009

What Exit?, you have no soul. You're not doing any talking for the party, possibly no talking in the party either.

Just a note for everyone who may have missed it, your characteristics don't change once set.
    That statement is illogical, I should be quite capable of talking to Captain Neill MacAndrew at least.

How damaging for game purposes is a 0 soul?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I suggest going and reading the rules a bit further down about what exactly soul is as a characteristic and why zero soul is a bit of a drawback. Think Charisma 3 in D&D.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Can I get by with a soul of 1? That would cost be a point in Pilot that I can work on in game at least. I really want to keep the Magic at 2. I could dump the Military Arms I guess as another option. I can't check the rules until tonight.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I grabbed a bit on Soul so you don't have to wade through the rules:

SOUL covers artistic abilities, empathy, luck, and spiritual well-being. If SOUL is low the character should be played as aloof, insensitive, and unlikeable (as in the phrase "This man has no soul"); if high, the character does well in these areas. It is also used for other forms of human interaction, such as fast-talking, acting ("A very soulful performance"), and other arts (including martial arts). If your SOUL is low better not try to con anyone, and forget about learning baritsu or karate.

Normal human characteristics are in the range 1-6, with 1 exceptionally poor, 3 or 4 average, and 6 very good, the top percentile of normal human performance. Player characters may have characteristics of 7 at the discretion of the referee ONLY; this is freakishly good, far better than normal human performance. For example, a gold-medal Olympic athlete might have BODY [7], a Nobel Prize winner MIND [7].

Characteristics cannot normally be improved; under really exceptional circumstances changes might be allowed, but this is a once in a lifetime event. For example, someone discovering the fountain of eternal youth might gain extra BODY, but there should be a price to pay; reduced MIND or SOUL, hideous deformity, and the like. In the unlikely event of an increase in any characteristic, any skills already derived from it (see below) should be recalculated and (if necessary) improved.

Characteristics may sometimes be reduced. For instance, someone crippled after a fall might lose BODY, someone suffering a severe head injury might lose MIND. SOUL might be damaged by insanity or drug abuse. If any characteristic is reduced, recalculate the values of all skills derived from it.
    Since you get your first point in Body, Mind and Soul for free, you can start with at least one point in Soul without having to shortchange anything else. It'll cost two points to raise it to two, though. Since you can add Skills and can't alter Characteristics, it might be something to consider.

...unless Ian is an automaton and truly does have no soul! Oooh.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Clearly I missed a few things.
    * you just posted that all stats start at 1
    * Adding to stats up to 4 I thought cost 1 and then 2 more for 5 and 3 more for 6.
    * But you just said going from 1 to 2 cost 2 points.

It is just going to 2 that cost 2 or did I completely misread. Clearly no matter what I have some errors.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Let me see if I can C&P this chart right...

Value -----------1-----2-----3-----4-----5-----6-----7*
    Cost (points)-----0-----2-----3-----5-----7-----10----14*

I think your Characteristics were all bought at the right price except for the first point in Soul, which you get automatically. Does that make sense?

Registered
    Feb 2009

That makes perfect sense.

General question to Peeta, CIAS, Zuul and anyone else:
    So will a 1 Soul be deadly?

I need 2 points to get it to a 2. I could lose a point in Pilot and work on that during the game and lose the Military Arms.

I am tempted to lose 1 in Magic, let Soul be 1 and lose Military Arms and raise Mind to 7.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As Peeta said above, no characteristics should go above 6.

1 Soul is not deadly but you will seem wooden and inflexible to everyone else.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As Peeta said above, no characteristics should go above 6.

1 Soul is not deadly but you will seem wooden and inflexible to everyone else.
    Sorry, I meant raise to 6. It is a 5 now.

Well lets see, I build and fly Rigid Airships and I am wooden and inflexible and like to think of myself as an adventurer and explorer. Perhaps I can train dogs to obey me.

If the party does not object, I think I will go with Soul = 1. I'll crunch the final numbers tonight once I hear back.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 16 Feb 2011 at 11:06 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Talking of crunching numbers, I presume the rank and (minor) wealth will come in useful often enough to justify the points. Otherwise I'll adjust the character profile to make it just window-dressing, and spend them on something more useful.

+ Reply to thread