+ Reply to thread

Thread: What rights should prisoners have?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default What rights should prisoners have?

Inspired by the should prisoners have the right to vote thread. Let's say we're talking about criminals in federal penitentiary, who have a record of good behavior. What rights should they have?

Decent food and basic medical care I think are givens...but by what standards?

Access to books, TV, internet? Do they have a right to this material uncensored?

Access to the outdoors?

Right to be paid minimum wage for work done inside the prison?

Right to communicate/visit with loved ones?

Anything else anyone can think of?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Decent food and basic medical care I think are givens...but by what standards?
    I would say yes and at a military level for both.

Access to books, TV, internet? Do they have a right to this material uncensored?
    No rights to uncensored and not so sure about Internet access. Perhaps limited access.

Access to the outdoors?
    Yes

Right to be paid minimum wage for work done inside the prison?
    I would say right to be paid but not absolutely minimum wage. They have room and board already and medical. I think it would be fine to give them less than minimum or less than minimum and the remainder put into an account for them for use only after they get out.

Right to communicate/visit with loved ones?
    Yes

Anything else anyone can think of?
    They need better protection from other prisoners (and in some cases the guards) but fewer rights in other ways. I think we can stack prisoners into smaller spaces. Take a look at an army barracks or navy berthing and I do not believe prisons are overcrowded. They just waste a lot of space. An increase in educational opportunities while in along the lines of vocational and high school training makes a lot of sense to me. We do not want repeat offenders. I would also like to see minor drug related crimes disappear and minor offenses for first time offenders treated with more of the boot camp style incarcerations.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Decently fed, watered, clothed, and sheltered and exercised. The rest are extras but understandable ones.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No right to vote. No uncensored internet access. As many family visits as possible. Certainly decent food and medical care. But I happen to know a young man in prison here in Canada for rape and murder, not a nice young fellow, certainly. He's a First Nations man, horribly damaged before birth by FAS. While he is technically entitled to medical care, in fact he gets none. He suffers from dreadful toothaches and cannot see a dentist, cannot have aspirin or other OTC meds. He is an intravenous drug user and is probably HIV infected, his parents (adoptive) are certain he will soon be dead of fullblown AIDS.

Prisoners should be paid, but since they are getting their room and board, they need not be paid much. As much exercise outdoors as possible. And each man ought to have his own cell. I don't much care how crowded soldiers and sailors are, it's a very different thing, IMHO.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Although generally I agree with you, vison, your post brings up an interesting question about the medical care. Treating HIV to prevent it from becoming full-blown AIDS is very expensive and has to be kept up indefinitely. I think for sure he should be getting dental care and pain relief for his bad teeth, but should the state be on the hook for treating HIV?

+ Reply to thread