+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anne of Green Gables and Betsy~Tacy fans...

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Anne of Green Gables and Betsy~Tacy fans...

I have a book recommendation for you. I think there are a few Anne fans here, I don't know about Betsy~Tacy, but anyway, the author of the B~T books, Maud Hart Lovelace, wrote 3 additional books that focus on other characters in Deep Valley. I just read one of them, called Emily of Deep Valley, and really enjoyed it. It's about a girl who is an academic star in HS in a small town in Minnesota, circa 1912. She desperately wants to go to college like most of her HS friends, but due to family circumstances, can't do it. The story is about her year after graduation, and how she makes her life count without being able to do formal study. The writing isn't as sophisticated as LM Montgomery's, but the characterizations are very good. And it's an interesting portrait of a time when women were starting to attain higher education and have careers. Highly recommend!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I am in the depths of an Anne re-read, but I'll put this on the list! I haven't read the Betsy-Tacy books either, so I should investigate those as well.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I enjoyed the Betsy~Tacy books...they start out when the girls are 5 years old, I think, and follows them through HS and beyond. I had a bit of a personal interest, because my grandmother grew up in Minnesota, in pretty much the exact time and place the books were set (the town is a fictionalized version of Mankato, where the author grew up, and my grandma is from a nearby town). Interestingly, my grandmother did go to college, and the girls in these books do so as well. I hadn't realized it was apparently as common back then as it seems to be in some of the literature of the time.

+ Reply to thread