+ Reply to thread

Thread: They're not Zombies, they're more like ghouls.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default They're not Zombies, they're more like ghouls.

This might belong in Arts and Entertainment but I feel it fits well here.

"Carnival of Souls" is considered a cult classic, I did not know this. I know this as the movie that gave me nightmares for weeks when I was only 3. It is one of the earliest Zombie movies though.

poster #1: carnival of souls is a zombie movie?

Well not really but kind of. The scary monsters in it look like Zombies.

poster #1: I suppose that is an arguable position, though if so then it is hardly one of the earliest

At best the Zombie is the Jamaican/West African concept of the Voodoo enslaved victim rather than actually the living dead though. So I guess you could have a sexy zombie of that sort. The Romero inspired zombie is probably closer to the classic idea of the ghoul.

poster #1: there is no classic ghoul really

Well, I am going with the early Hollywood ghoul honestly. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024055/
    Quote Originally posted by wiki
    A ghoul is a folkloric monster associated with graveyards and consuming human flesh, often classified as undead. The oldest surviving literature that mentions ghouls is likely One Thousand and One Nights. The term is first attested in English in 1786, in William Beckford's Orientalist novel Vathek, which describes the ghul of Arabian folklore.

Other types are living humans who are controlled by someone else using magic. These are the original zombies, occurring in the West African spiritual belief system of voodoo, which told of people being controlled as laborers by a powerful wizard. Zombies became a popular device in modern horror fiction, largely because of the success of George A. Romero's 1968 film Night of the Living Dead and they have appeared as plot devices in various books, films and in television shows.
    So I stand by my statement, Romero used the wrong term or perhaps someone else did.
    The film follows Ben Huss (Duane Jones), Barbra (Judith O'Dea), and five others, who are trapped in a rural farmhouse in Pennsylvania and attempt to survive the night while the house is being attacked by mysteriously reanimated ghouls, otherwise known as zombies.
    So the whole Zombie thing is just a large cultural mistake.
    In the final draft, written mainly by Romero during three days in 1967, focused on reanimated human corpses — Romero refers to them as ghouls — that feast on the flesh of the living."
    And now you know

poster #1: yeah they are only called ghouls in the movie, not zombies. 'kill the brain and you kill the ghoul'

Early zombie films like Victor Halperin's White Zombie (1932) and Jacques Tourneur's I Walked with a Zombie (1943) concerned living people enslaved by a Voodoo witch doctor; many were set in the Caribbean. I really shouldn't have crap like this stored in my brain. I should have more useful stuff packed away instead.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Makes sense to me.

Am I the only one who was happy when Barbra finally died? She had to be the most obnoxious character ever.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Oct 2009

No, I was happy to see her die as well. I don't know why the other survivors put up with her as long as they did.

+ Reply to thread