+ Reply to thread

Thread: Meredith Kercher: The TV Movie

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Meredith Kercher: The TV Movie

A controversial TV movie showing the murder of Meredith Kercher is due to be released in the USA shortly. The problem is that Amanda Knox, the convicted murderer, is currently going through the appeal process.

I'm actually finding this movie distasteful on the grounds that the crime is still reasonably fresh in people's minds, there are appeals going on and a movie which either shows a large amount of innocence or guilt either way is not going to help.

The only reason I can see for this movie is the sensational aspects of the case and the people involved in it.

Bit more on the movie here

What are your thoughts on it: Should they show a little respect to the families in question or what the hell, it's gonna be a ratings buster?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I find it pretty exploitative. When the crime is still this fresh and the appeals process is still going on, there's no real way for it to be anything other than propaganda for one side or the other.

Registered
    Sep 2010

As a general rule, I don't follow "pretty white woman in peril" stories, so I knew just about nothing involving this case until this thread prompted me to read about it on Wikipedia. There really is no reason to make a movie about it except for the salaciousness of it involving the aforementioned pretty white women. It's not a particularly interesting case, nor does it say something about our society in general.

This was a tragedy for the family of Meredith Kercher. It was an atrocious thing done to that young woman. It shouldn't be entertainment for the voyeuristic masses.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah. I'm not really looking forward to that, especially considering how much liberty will have to be taken and how much that could sway the decision on Ms. Knox's appeal.

On a more personal note, I am very glad to be an average looking slacker with no children when I hear about the Imperiled Pretty White Girl cases.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

+ Reply to thread