+ Reply to thread

Thread: RIP film composer John Barry

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default RIP film composer John Barry

For those unaware, John Barry was the man who made James Bond sound cool having worked on 11 of them

He also had five Academy Awards for films such as "Dances With Wolves", "Out of Africa" and "Born Free".

There is every chance you will have heard his music but not realised who the composer was.

A true genius and innovator as well as an inspiriation for many musicians.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

With him goes an era. He brought a really distinctive feel to all of his work that can just transport someone away. One of my favorite pieces from him is "The Girl with the Sun in her Hair." It's just beautiful.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

John Barry had a huge resume of big hit movies under his belt -- his soundtracks are probably at least as ubiquitous as John Williams' work. Although I never really liked some of his work on the James Bond franchise (he was responsible for steadily removing the guitar from the theme song through the 60s and into the 70s before Marvin Hamlisch reintroduced it for his The Spy Who Loved Me soundtrack), he did a lot of really remarkable work over the years -- I have the Dances With Wolves sountrack at home and really enjoy it, for example.

Movies won't be the same again without his involvement.
    Hell is other people.

+ Reply to thread