+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Mermaid

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default The Mermaid

This is a photo manipulation I did, starting with a nude woman on the rocks in the water.

I'm not terribly happy with the seashells, but I slapped them on so it would be suitably SFW.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You are so good it hurts my brain.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That is one fine-looking fishlady.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

How did you create the tail? It looks almost more like a whale or dolphin part?

Registered
    Mar 2009

The tail was done in several steps. I painted a blue shape approximating the position I wanted the tail in, shading it so that had some contour to it. Her real legs and their shading were a good guide for this, so they're actually under the layer with the tail on it. Then I made a layer over that which had a darker mesh on it, but which was transparent between the mesh texture. I ran that through an emboss filter so that it would get that scaly look, then trimmed it down so that it fit to the tail properly.

I decided rather than having the tail fade into her body I wanted it to be a more dramatic difference, so I created an edge along her hips and some shadows as though the scales are projecting out from her flesh.

Since she has breasts, one can assume she's a mammal so I used marine mammals as my guide (except for the scales, obviously). When mammals swim it's with an up and down motion of the spine, while fish and reptiles move their spines side to side. So her flukes are modeled after a dolphin.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    The tail was done in several steps. I painted a blue shape approximating the position I wanted the tail in, shading it so that had some contour to it. Her real legs and their shading were a good guide for this, so they're actually under the layer with the tail on it. Then I made a layer over that which had a darker mesh on it, but which was transparent between the mesh texture. I ran that through an emboss filter so that it would get that scaly look, then trimmed it down so that it fit to the tail properly.

I decided rather than having the tail fade into her body I wanted it to be a more dramatic difference, so I created an edge along her hips and some shadows as though the scales are projecting out from her flesh.

Since she has breasts, one can assume she's a mammal so I used marine mammals as my guide (except for the scales, obviously). When mammals swim it's with an up and down motion of the spine, while fish and reptiles move their spines side to side. So her flukes are modeled after a dolphin.
    I thought so and I like it. I always thought it made more sense for them to be part seal or dolphin instead of tuna.

Registered
    Mar 2009

A merman this time, using a much more "fishy" concept for the tail. The scales were done by hand and extend up his torso. His fins are modeled after a male betta fish.

Registered
    Mar 2009

both of them.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, those are good.

Nice one Zuul.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Those are both VERY good. Just my two cents' worth: the mermaid's tail looks disproportional to me somehow; I guess the mass of it to the left of the kink in it doesn't quite seem right, given the rest of her. As for the merman, I'd change the color of his pubic area to the same green as his tail, and give the large mass of what would be his thighs or upper legs more texture.

But that's just me. These really are impressive pics. Thanks for sharing, and well done!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Those are both VERY good. Just my two cents' worth: the mermaid's tail looks disproportional to me somehow; I guess the mass of it to the left of the kink in it doesn't quite seem right, given the rest of her. As for the merman, I'd change the color of his pubic area to the same green as his tail, and give the large mass of what would be his thighs or upper legs more texture.
    There was something bugging me about that area on the merman, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it. I think you nailed it. Thanks!

The mermaid's tail is slightly longer than human legs would be, but appears shorter because of the size and position of the flukes. I fudged that because I really wanted to use the water in the background and it cut off there. If I were going to do it again, I'd probably have her tail bend more to fit more length into the frame.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Gorgeous! These made my day.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Registered
    Sep 2018

Default The Mermaid

I have only ever saw the first one, her little fish friend was cute lol
    http://crystaldental.org

+ Reply to thread