+ Reply to thread

Thread: Strange quirks of genres

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Strange quirks of genres

I think everybody gets what a "trope" is by this point, but what about things that go beyond even that? There are common things that might show up in TV shows and books, and then there are things that are apparently required to be central to the plot.

As an example: In an urban fantasy that's narrated in the first person by a female character, it is a requirement that two or more hunky supernatural creatures will lust for her. This has apparently spilled into science-fiction narrated in the first person by female characters as well (hi, Hunger Games!), but as a fan of strong female protagonists and urban fantasy I repeatedly run into this exact same scenario over and over again.

Anita Blake takes it to a scary level (I think her lovers are in the dozens in the current books, but I stopped reading them), while Twilight and Merry Thompson stick closer to having an alpha couple with one forlorn guy on the outside.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    Anita Blake takes it to a scary level (I think her lovers are in the dozens in the current books, but I stopped reading them), while Twilight and Merry Thompson stick closer to having an alpha couple with one forlorn guy on the outside.
    Is Merry Thompson anything like Mercy Thompson?

Patricia Briggs's other series, Alpha and Omega, hasn't fallen into that particular trap yet. It involves a "power couple" that goes on dangerous adventures together.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Er, yes. Mercy Thompson. Thinking about the Anita Blake books made me think of Merry "being a slut is a fairy princess's job" Gentry.

Is Alpha and Omega any good? With the extremely sexist werewolves I wasn't too sure I could stand more of them.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

It's more romance heavy, and I don't like Anna as much as I like Mercy, but the sexism is more that paternalistic "protectiveness" than the more heavy handed stuff we see in Mercy's story (especially That Scene).

Registered
    Mar 2009

And nary a hint of a love triangle, huh?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Two books in, there's no doubt they're a couple.

Registered
    Sep 2010

I read this as "strange quirks of genes" and was all excited to see DNA trivia. Sadly, I read wrong.

It's not quite a requirement because it does get busted on occasion, but the tendency to make "sexy" aliens in sci-fi is alive and well. They have two genders which just so happen to reflect Earth norms in some understandable way and their women have big ol' bazongas. Even when they're reptilian aliens.

Registered
    Mar 2009

He tenderly caressed her broad, scaled chest, noting the tiny imperfections in her natural armor. It was those imperfections that made her perfect in his eyes. Her heavy tail lashed back and forth, telling her impatience. Shlara was always an eager lover. His hands ventured lower, seeking out her cloaca...

And that's why reptilian aliens have breasts. Otherwise you get....that.

Cartoon parents=morons. I'd say 80% of the time.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Don't stop, RM, it was just getting good.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Sep 2010

I am now going to have reptile sex nightmares. Thank you oh so much.

Do any sitcoms these days have a smart husband/stupid wife combination? Even in cases where the guy is supposed to be "smart", it seems like the woman always trumps him in common sense.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Not that I can think of, Peeta. There's also not a hot husband/frumpy wife combo that I can think of.

+ Reply to thread