+ Reply to thread

Thread: David Irving

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Default David Irving

Saw this on telly last night. I can't fathom Irving. What a cunt.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Complete and total shithead. One of my big term projects in college was on the Holocaust denial, or "revisionist" movement, and Irving is a leading figure.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

I managed to get through the little poem he made up for his grandbaby, and I had to stop watching. People like him shouldn't be given a forum.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Registered
    Mar 2010

What I find staggering is that this court ruling was necessary at all. How does a slimy hick like this get notoriety, authority, and a fan base?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Because, he says outrageous things that a certain segment of the population wants to hear, and he says them with absolute certainty and authority. There are people who want to hate, and those people see an older gentleman in a suit telling them that the things (people, in this case) they hate are Bad Things, so they eat it up with a spoon. It makes them feel validated to have their rage articulated so matter-of-factly. Meanwhile, the rest of us really want to believe that the people who say things like he says are knuckle dragging idiots, or at least an obvious kind of thug, so seeing the older gentleman in a suit speaking matter-of-factly about his insane beliefs makes us want to argue, since he looks like a reasonable man who should be able to see reason when we show it to him. So, he gets an audience, gets some detractors, gets a bigger audience because he has detractors, and we as a world are stuck with him.

At least, that's my theory.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Hitler Syndrome? Maybe that's it.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Marsilia View post
    Because, he says outrageous things that a certain segment of the population wants to hear, and he says them with absolute certainty and authority. There are people who want to hate, and those people see an older gentleman in a suit telling them that the things (people, in this case) they hate are Bad Things, so they eat it up with a spoon. It makes them feel validated to have their rage articulated so matter-of-factly. Meanwhile, the rest of us really want to believe that the people who say things like he says are knuckle dragging idiots, or at least an obvious kind of thug, so seeing the older gentleman in a suit speaking matter-of-factly about his insane beliefs makes us want to argue, since he looks like a reasonable man who should be able to see reason when we show it to him. So, he gets an audience, gets some detractors, gets a bigger audience because he has detractors, and we as a world are stuck with him.

At least, that's my theory.
    Exactly. He's a slightly more extreme Glenn Beck.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    It's an interesting case because under the burden of proof under British Libel Law, it effectively proved in a court of Law that the Holocaust did take place regardless of what may be said.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    It's an interesting case because under the burden of proof under British Libel Law, it effectively proved in a court of Law that the Holocaust did take place regardless of what may be said.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

+ Reply to thread