+ Reply to thread

Thread: What are the books you go back to time and time again?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default What are the books you go back to time and time again?

As discussed on the current whatcha reading thread, there are several posters here who have reread Lord of the Rings over and over again. It made me wonder...anyone else have any other books that they keep going back to?

For me it's the Anne of Green Gables series. Not any one book in particular, I have reread the entire series several times, and skipped around from book to book according to my mood, as well. Love them love them love them.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Man, I am so, so guilty of rereading books.

All of these are on my nightstand now, and all are subject to being picked up at any time:

1984 - (by far the book I return to most)
    Jailbird - Vonnegut
    Down and Out in Paris and London - Orwell
    The Clergyman's Daughter - Orwell
    Coming Up for Air - Orwell
    Keep the Aspidistra Flying - Orwell
    The Jungle

I have read most of these a dozen times through by now, and 1984--countless times.

There is comfort in good, familiar literature.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, recent add that I am now starting to reread:

The Trial - Kafka.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Apr 2009

Several of the Iain M Banks books, LOTR & The Hobbit.
    Quite a few others as I forget I have read them and buy or borrow them again.
    Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill

Registered
    Mar 2009

Alfred Lansing's Endurance
    Apsley Cherry-Garrard's The Worst Journey in the World
    Robert Heinlein's Have Space Suit - Will Travel
    L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables and the sequels - Anne of the Island is probably my favorite
    Daniel V. Gallery's Eight Bells

There are other books I keep going back to, but those are the ones I can think of, now.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

My rereads are LotR, Hobbit & Silmarillion.
    Most books by Heinlein but especially the juveniles and Moon is a Harsh Mistress
    The Lensmen series by EE Doc Smith

I recently reread the Elric series but that is not quite the same. I hadn't read them in over 20 years and picked up and ran through the rest. Same with Narnia a few years back, Foundation series by Isaac and even some Amber books recently. I have reread the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander a few times.

Every decade or so reread The Godfather and To Kill a Mockingbird.

Oh, Swiftly Tilting Planet along with A Wrinkle in Time and A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle, is another reread. Oddly I have never read An Acceptable Time (1989).

I'm sure I am forgetting a few. Most of my rereads are beloved books of my youth.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

This is a hard question for me. I re-read things almost constantly. I'm looking at my shelves and I'm having a hard time seeing anything I haven't read a whole bunch of times. I'm about due for a LOTR re-read myself. Also Till We Have Faces and I Capture the Castle.
    Last edited by Orual; 22 Jan 2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: to read makes our writing English good

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I go back and revisit books fairly often. LotR for sure, also the first three Dune books. Books 1-4 and 7 of The Dark Tower. A lot of Somerset Maugham, especially Of Human Bondage, The Razor's Edge, and Cakes and Ale. Richard Herley's The Penal Colony and Refuge. Also, funny books are always very re-readable to me...Dave Barry, Bill Bryson, etc.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Sep 2009

First Among Equals by Jeffrey Archer - a great British political thriller about the rise to power of three men (four, in the British edition) as they each vie to become Prime Minister.

Aztec by Gary Jennings - a magnificent, sprawling historical novel of the Aztec Empire before, during and after the Spanish conquest.

Tuf Voyaging by George R.R. Martin - funny, chilling collection of sf stories about absolute power and ecological engineering. The finest sf book I've ever read.

I re-read each of these every five years or so. Love 'em.

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

The Lives and Times of Archy and Mehitabel, by Don Marquis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archy_and_Mehitabel

Registered
    Mar 2009

Elendil's Heir, I love Jeffrey Archer...I've been reading his latest collection of short stories, in between reading other things. I'm always kind of surprised he doesn't have more of a following.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm not sure how many times I've read A Wrinkle in Time since the fourth grade, but I'm pretty sure it's one of those books I'll never actually get tired of going back to. When I reread it a couple of years ago, one of my coworkers caught me sniffling in the break room. Next time, I might just not take it to work with me.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    The Razor's Edge
    Yes! I read that in high school and thought it was one of the finest novels ever, so I went back to it a few years ago. I still think it is among the best, but it was an eye-opener to see how differently I interpreted everything with the benefit (I hope) of more life experience.

A book I re-read every few years is The Famished Road by Ben Okri. Only on the third read or so did I start to notice some imperfections in the book. I have yet to convince anyone else to read it, however. People get a chapter or two in, then tell me they can't handle it any more.

I re-read the short story "It's a Sky-Blue Life" every now and then. What's funny is that I found that story - the first in a Maxim Gorky anthology - a bit difficult but worth savoring, so I read it over and over without reading the rest of the stories in the book for years (I assumed they would be equally tough going, and I wanted to feel like I was getting the main story first before moving on.) When I finally got around to finishing the other short stories, I was amused to discover that they are MUCH lighter and can be understood and appreciated with a lot less Deep Thought than "It's a Sky-Blue Life."

You know what I need to re-read? The Secret Agent, by Joseph Conrad.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    Elendil's Heir, I love Jeffrey Archer...I've been reading his latest collection of short stories, in between reading other things. I'm always kind of surprised he doesn't have more of a following.
    His later criminality definitely put a crimp in his career, and his popularity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Archer#Downfall

Before that, he had some great books: although First Among Equals is hands-down my favorite, Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less and A Matter of Honour are both terrific, and his short story collections A Quiver Full of Arrows, A Twist in the Tale and Twelve Red Herrings have some excellent tales.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Lighter reading for me - sometimes old YA favorites, or something like Forever Amber for when I want just anything I don't have to think too hard about.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Quote Originally posted by Sarahfeena View post
    His later criminality definitely put a crimp in his career, and his popularity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Archer#Downfall
    Yeah, I can see where that might have had an effect, but man, Anne Perry freakin' murdered someone in cold blood, and she seems to do quite well.

Before that, he had some great books: although First Among Equals is hands-down my favorite, Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less and A Matter of Honour are both terrific, and his short story collections A Quiver Full of Arrows, A Twist in the Tale and Twelve Red Herrings have some excellent tales.
    Loved Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less. And I've got kind of a weakness for the short story with a twist a la Roald Dahl, so I dig his SS collections.
    Last edited by Sarahfeena; 24 Jan 2011 at 02:59 PM.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Europe: A History by Norman Davies is a several inch wide tome that I read bits of on a regular basis and have done in the 10 years or so I've owned it.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I just remembered another one: Jane Eyre. I immediately had to buy an e-copy when I got my nook, even though I have a paperback version already.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I have reread Foundation more than any other book. It really speaks to me, and it certainly really spoke to a teenage me the first time I read it.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

+ Reply to thread