Poll results: Do you have a first aid Kit?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • In your house?

3 23.08%
  • In your Car?

1 7.69%
  • Both?

2 15.38%
  • No?

7 53.85%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do you have a first aid Kit?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Do you have a first aid Kit?

Do and do you think everyone should? Why or why not?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm sure it's a smart thing to have around, but I am none too smart, I guess.

I should probably have an earthquake kit too.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I feel the same way, I probably should have one but instead have a bunch of seperate piece. Should probably have a disaster kit (similar idea to the earthquake kit) should probably have a generator too. Should probably have ...

Though the first aid kit is a pretty inexpensive one and I might actually pick one up. Especially as I get first aid training every other year or so.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have Advil and Jaegermeister.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have band-aids with the following characters: Hello Kitty, Curious George, Batman.

I also have some neosporin and baby Tylenol.

If that doesn't cover me, I've got a hospital ER a couple blocks away!

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Got a small one in my house and more elaborate one in my workplace.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I really should get one. Of course it's a lower priority than getting the kitchen fire extinguisher I keep telling myself I need.

Which I've yet to get, either.

Registered
    Sep 2010

Got one in the bathroom. It's not really terribly complex, but from camping and stuff my dad drilled it into my head it's a good idea to keep that stuff around, so...

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf View post
    I have Advil and Jaegermeister.
    I like his first aid kit.

But beyond that, we're pretty well-equipped with OTC pain pills, Band-Aids, gauze, disinfectants and the like. When you have five kids under the age of 12 at your house every other weekend, it's only prudent. And since artifex is a nurse who makes home visits as her job, if we needed anything really heavy duty, I guess we could always go to the car and get the big guns.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Jul 2010

Vodka, old clothes, scissors, duct tape, superglue, a belt, and thick plastic bags. I'm set for anything up to and including a sucking chest wound.

Edit: I forgot cigars and fire making products to cauterize wounds. Sorry the rest of you have such womanly first aid kids.
    Last edited by hobbler; 20 Jan 2011 at 11:30 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2010

No gun powder?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by hobbler View post
    Vodka, old clothes, scissors, duct tape, superglue, a belt, and thick plastic bags. I'm set for anything up to and including a sucking chest wound.

Edit: I forgot cigars and fire making products to cauterize wounds. Sorry the rest of you have such womanly first aid kids.
    Shit; if I had a sucking chest would, I'd prefer your first aid kit to mine. Vodka FTW.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Jul 2010

These are everyday household items that can be used in a pinch for major injuries.

Vodka: Not to get the injured person drunk, but for sterilization.
    Old clothes: Bandages, pre-cut if you want, but old t-shirts work great for this sort of thing just aren't exactly sterile.
    Duct tape: Add to clothes for a compression bandage
    Superglue: Minor cuts.
    Belt: Tourniquet
    Thick plastic bags: Sucking chest wound

The cigar was just for added drama, but gunpowder isn't something I'll ever have lying around. Plastic bag is for the sucking chest wound.

The best thing you can do is take a course on basic first aid and build your own instead of getting a bunch of those stupid size bandaids that never get used. In the event of a major injury, this stuff is more useful than any basic ($20) first aid "kit" that can be purchased. All you really need to do is stabilize the injury until you can get someone who knows what they're doing.

http://www.firstaidsuppliesonline.co...cy&prod=148805

At some point I should pick something like this up, but I do have bandaids/peroxide sitting around for minor scrapes

Registered
    Apr 2009

I tend to have the cut/scrape/sting/bite/nosebleed stuff together (disinfectant foam, benadryl spray, bite stick, bandaids, bacitracin, baby wipes, tissues) in one bag in summertime (doesn't really seem to come up much in winter, low incidence of time spent in parks). I have a first aid kit in the car largely because it's got convenient packaging of things and because it has a cute foil blanket in it, but I think the most useful first aid things I carry in the car are my pocket CPR mask and my cell phone. (Also gloves. Definitely have gloves.) If you've got kids around and you're out and about, it's nice to have stuff to easily deal with the minor bumps and bruises, but for actual first response to an emergency, I agree with hobbler that you're better off knowing basic life support so you can hopefully keep someone alive until the EMTs arrive.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have ibuprofen and bandaids and jag too! Umm, that's it.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Jan 2011

It is very important to have an firts aid kid.We cannot predict when unexpected things will happened.Therefore it is must to have a indiviual kit always with us.Last week i bought the frist aid kit which has the following contents:
    Contents:
    2 Tactical Defender Gloves, Large OD
    1 SOF Tactical Tourniquet, Wide
    1 Primed Compressed Gauze
    1 Israeli Emergency Bandage, 4"
    1 Nasopharyngeal Airway, 28Fr
    1 Surgilube, 3gr
    1 Tape, 2" x 10yd

Registered
    Mar 2009

I really need to go ahead to get a first aid kit. We get emergency supplies at the start of hurricane season, including things like batteries, candles, and OTC medications.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jessicadenismb View post
    It is very important to have an firts aid kid.We cannot predict when unexpected things will happened.Therefore it is must to have a indiviual kit always with us.Last week i bought the frist aid kit which has the following contents:
    Contents:
    1 Surgilube, 3gr
    1 Tape, 2" x 10yd
    I don't know what "tactical defender gloves" are, but I like your first aid kit better than mine.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by jessicadenismb View post
    Contents:
    1 Surgilube, 3gr
    1 Tape, 2" x 10yd
    Which brand was the first aid kit. I need to pick at least 1 up, maybe 3.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't have anything I'd call a "kit", so I said no. I do have bandaids and superglue, which are my primary defenses against open wounds, plus various other odds and ends.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm honestly confused that I've been at a few people's houses where they don't stock any medical supplies, even for minor injuries or cold/pain medicine (One person at least had a bag of cottonballs). If they need it, they have to got out to a drugstore. Just strikes me as odd that they would have nothing on hand.

I have the one I use on backpacking trips, which is usually in the house but often as not in the car. Recently I cleaned out a bunch of old stuff I'm not going to use and among them was several bits and pieces of old kits. I put them in an accessible storage drawer, so now I've got a drawer full of gauze and triangular bandages.

(Incidentally, I saw 127 Hours today. Highly recommended.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mandatory for every motorist in Germany. Content.
    I probably also have some small kit lying around somewhere at home, but I'll just grab it from a car if needed.

Registered
    Apr 2009

We have vinegar and I'm sure we could find some brown paper in an emergency.
    Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill

+ Reply to thread